[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this the greatest deconstruction of the ancient sitcom format
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
Was this the greatest deconstruction of the ancient sitcom format ever?
>>
>deconstruction
>>
File: George.jpg (21 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
George.jpg
21 KB, 500x318
Too Many Cooks was.

Be sure to have a laugh when you see replies to this post, and certain ones being deleted/banned because of THAT word.
>>
>>70876518
this
despite being different in terms of plot,it still followed all the tropes
>>
>>70876649
Ironically
>>
>>70876577
what word?
>>
>>70877125
ask your """"""""father"""""""
>>
>>70877172
cu.ck?
>>
>>70876490

you better believe it
>>
Seinfeld
>>
>>70876518
It totally is a deconstruction. Dan Harmon, with the help of Harmontown fans, took the TV sitcom format and spun it on its head.
>>
>>70876721
>because its ironic it makes it funny

no
>>
it isn't funny nor is the writing self-aware in the capacity you're assuming it is. if it were, it would still be categorically unfunny. it's a bad show.
>>
>>70877263
party down and many other shows have done this.

cheers,fraiser and seinfeld did this in the fucking 80s
>>
>>70876490
Malcolm in the Middle takes that crown i think.
>>
>>70877310
every one of those shows was a traditional sitcom

party down isn't even remotely meta or post-structure or anything, I'd like if you elaborated on that
>>
File: pretentious.jpg (54 KB, 400x588) Image search: [Google]
pretentious.jpg
54 KB, 400x588
>>70876518
>>
>>70877263
lmao
>>
>being aware of the consumed content automatically makes content filled with awareness good

or how to spot an American
>>
>>70877263
How much alimony are you being forced to pay, Dan?
>>
Probably Seinfeld. It embraced being about nothing, about finding the humour in everyday occurrences. It deconstructed social interactions, the foundation upon which any sitcom is built.
>>
>>70877373
what do you mean by this
>>
>>70877447
that selfawareness shite killed american comedy circa early double oughts

as for the serious answer to op's retarded question it will never not be twin peaks.
>>
>>70877584
you mean meta-ness, or literal self-reflexibility?

Because PoMo in visual media has been around since Dali
>>
>>70877334
why does something have to be meta to be a deconstruction? community still followed all the typical tropes of a sitcom so because it refferenced its flaws and used plots you'd typicaly see in animation or an snl movie its somehow better?

you should watch more british and non network comedy
>>
>>70877662
examples?
>>
>>70876490
How was it a deconstruction? Abed was obviously a huge nerd who thought he was in a television series and there was the accompanying metahumour, but those episodes were what, maybe three per season of twentyish?

I'd argue Scrubs is a much better (and earlier) example of a sitcom satirising and deconstructing its predecessors of the genre.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Community to Scrubs for the most part. I'm just saying it's a better example of what you're talking about.
>>
>>70877662
you can be aware that you shit your pants and still be the guy who shit his pants. even if you did it on purpose, you still shit your pants, and you're still the guy who shit his pants
>>
File: ghouls.png (84 KB, 242x252) Image search: [Google]
ghouls.png
84 KB, 242x252
>>70877334
>seinfeld
>traditional

Just because it repeated settings and used a live audience, that doesn't mean its thematic material wasn't unconventional
>>
>>70877625
that can also be my point, none of it is original in the first place. but the lazy way in which it was implemented in these shitty sitcoms hardly makes it any sort of comedy.

>look, i'm doing fan service by being dressed as a french maid and i assure you i'm being self aware of both said fanservice and the male gaze prevalent in the society that pays me shekels for it, and i do all this but not stating it outright because you the viewer is in on the joke

its dumb as a bag of weights.

anyway this 'give the viewer something easy to spot and hell piss himself from happiness' is obvious in endless reboots and remakes of capeshit origins or star wars crap. endless retreading of a ground trodden into pancake.
>>
>>70877720
>laugh track
>contrived situations
>exaggerated reactions

how is it not a traditional sitcom
>>
>>70877720

It is funny to go back and watch it in reruns now if you've taken several years hiatus without seeing it, because the edgy content is now tame and the traditional sitcom conventions really stick out.
>>
>itt there are literally folks arguing that Seinfeld is not a traditional sitcom
I am so out. Peace.
>>
>>70877672
of comedy you should watch or the tropes community has?
>>70877711
Thats my point,still a great show though.
>>
>>70877746
A focus on inanity rather than significant plots.

Where friends would do something like "Ross waffles between telling rachel that he is pregnant with her child, while monica and joey share a significant relationship milestone while hubby chandler watches and masturbates", Seinfeld would rely on funny, but completely nonconsequential situations. It was a show about nothing, and the funniness that comes from nothing.
>>
>the early 2000s are considered ancient
>>
>>70877812
you're such a meme right now
>>
>>70876577
You mean
>Too many cucks?
>>
>>70877329
I second this.
>>
>>70876490
>deconstruction
it's literally just quips, screaming and "hey this would look good on youtube" stunts.
Shit show.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.