[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is she the worst Star Wars character ever? I thought she was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14
File: landscape-1452178317-maz-kanata.jpg (87 KB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
landscape-1452178317-maz-kanata.jpg
87 KB, 1280x640
Is she the worst Star Wars character ever? I thought she was forced and super cringy, if you are going to rip off Yoda (and the cantina scene from the 1st movie simultaneously) then at least do a better job of it. Not to mention the boring character design, she is just a weird little orange turtle thing with glasses, not original or interesting at all, pick almost any background alien from the prequels or OT and they are better.
>>
>>70841874
yes. i would take 30 min of jar jar over that one scene with that fucking thing
>>
>>70841874
Literally better than every character in the prequels combined.
>>
>>70841874
I liked her. Fuck you.
>>
I thought it was annoying orange.
>>
>>70841874
Waste of a qt to hide her behind cgi
>>
Her voice acting was atrocious. Sounded really bland, like she was just reading the lines.
>>
Terrible CGI, generic character, pointless scene. TFA was just bad in general. Maybe not as bad as the prequels but pretty fucking close.
>>
>>70841874
you guys are reading waaaaaay too much into character creation. there hasn't been a "wise old asian lady" in star wars yet, so they added her simply because of that. My buddy is half chinese and has a grandmother who talks just like her, I thought it was well done.
>>
>>70841874
>>70842149
Her character was there for exposition, nothing else. Some characters are shitty because they don't need to be good.
>>
>>70841874
I thought she was kind of a waste of a character and lazy Yoda reminder. Not terrible but she didn't have a purpose really.
>>
>>70842082
Same reason some of her scenes were cut. JJ didn't like how Lupita worked with the character.
>>
I thought she was terrible and represented a lot about what was shit about TFA

lazy character, only pushed the Mary Sue along
>>
Why didn't they have Yaddle? Did she die?
>>
she was a waste of time
like the whole movie desu
>>
I didn't mind her because she basically said jedi/sith were just phases/factions of force users and intimated there were factions before and there will be factions after.

Which is basically just one more way the franchise has been de-lucas'd. Which is grand and glorious.
>>
>>70841874
>Maz Kanata
>Mos (Eisley) Cantina
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>70842149
>"old chinese lady" alien
>has yellow skin
>>
File: nope.jpg (90 KB, 788x1129) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
90 KB, 788x1129
>>70841874
>>
File: HanSolo!.jpg (29 KB, 276x329) Image search: [Google]
HanSolo!.jpg
29 KB, 276x329
Literally a minion.
>>
>>70842703
Are you stupid? That's always been the case. There were always other factions and users of the Force. Look at the witches of Dathomir and the Mortis arc. Even Star Wars Rebels shows you other worshipers of the Force.

>de-lucas'd
But this is exactly what he wanted. The Sith and Jedi are just factions to a much larger game. However, the Jedi are the Forces number 1s. The Sith are cancerous tumors that are gone forever.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 226x223
no matter how interesting her character was or how unique the scene was, you'll always be butt blasted that the lead was female
>>
File: obvious troll is obvious.png (42 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
obvious troll is obvious.png
42 KB, 625x626
>>70844936
>>
>>70844979
this is my genuine opinion not my fault you can't handle it
>>
File: 1465513280411.gif (286 KB, 123x116) Image search: [Google]
1465513280411.gif
286 KB, 123x116
>>70842829
good job Anon
>>
>>70841874
Except for Jarjar I think so.
>>
She's going to be revealed as Supreme Leader Snoke. Screencap this, I work for Disney.
>>
>>70841874
The whole movie - every scene , was a waste of time and effort.

Star Wars is junk. I am beginning to think it always has been. This is the legacy of the prequels and this new trash. It makes you question everything.
>>
>>70845297
But it wasn't all junk. It used to have a soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik
>>
>>70845840
I know this.... but its just hard to remember.
The new movie has destroyed the franchise and its hard to put it out of your mind.

Also, anyone who has read the Dune novels realizes what a hack Lucas is and how lame the star wars story is in comparison.
>>
why does that yam have eyes
>>
File: 1465264869170.jpg (7 KB, 252x252) Image search: [Google]
1465264869170.jpg
7 KB, 252x252
>>70841874
Actually a lot of the background characters in that exact scene in Ep 7 were better. Why they went CGI I don't know but it was a mistake.

I get it storytelling-wise...you build up this character to be some sort of badass that is then ironically revealed to be a walking kumquat, I GET IT. But we never the the payoff because they cut the scene where she ACTUALLY DOES GET TO BE A BADASS. It was supposed to be funny but then have a payoff...but they fucked it in editing.
>>
>>70846019

If you think Star Wars drew on Dune for inspiration, try reading E E "Doc" Smith's Lord Tedric books.
>>
>>70842149
>hiring a young African woman to play an old Asian woman

Bravo JJ
>>
She was one of the only things i liked about the movie, it was cool to see someone who was in tune with the force but was not caught up in all the jedi vs sith bullshit.
>>
>>70844895
>eu bullshit

yea I'll pass.
>>
>>70844936
>implying I'd like Rey if she were male
>implying I wouldn't love Luke if he were female
>implying I wouldn't hate Anakin regardless of his gender
>>
>>70841874
>Is she the worst Star Wars character ever?
No.

In fact the character wasn't all that memorable. The only reason I remember her is because of the occasional thread dedicated to her on /tv/.
>>
>Saw the movie with my dad
>Says she was a worse asian stereotype than the episode 1 trade fed aliens

After thinking about it for a while, I could somewhat see it.
>>
>>70841874
She wasn't so bad. I liked her dialogue and the delivery was pretty good. CG was off-putting though.
>>
>>70842149
They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel aren't they if they add in a useless unimaginative character because "we've never had that before"
>>
>>70845297
As autistic as this sounds I took down every star wars poster I owned and threw it away, along with all books, shirts, and any other star wars fan memerobilia I had and completely divorced myself from SW after that movie. Don't worry, none of it was very valuable, just had a wake up call as to how shit it has become.
>>
Hollow piece of turd character only meant to send the other hollow characters on their merry way.
>>
>>70841874

errrr? racist and sexist much??
>>
>>70850760
big eye 4 me
>>
>>70842955
>implying he wasnt GOAT
>>
>>70841874
Even Abrams realized she was a mistake. She was going to have more screentime but he realized she was useless
>>
>>70841874
Shitskin Mr hanky
>>
File: IMG_20160615_110920.jpg (69 KB, 480x645) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160615_110920.jpg
69 KB, 480x645
>>
>>70841951
KYS
>>
>>70851673
But I don't want to kiss you
>>
>>70851269
back 2 cuckshead
>>
>>70846480
Because Hollywood is scared that the normie millennialfags (Hollywood wants a new Hunger Games gen of SW fans ya know) will laugh and scoff at practical animatronic FX and yell at the screen, "FAKE AF!" I get it. If you were raised on cg shitfest movies as a kid like Van Helsing, The Mummy or The Phantom Menace, cg is just expected these days and that's just really sad because it's 2016 and cg live animated people and monsters and animals and spaceships still look like shit. How long do we have to fucking wait until we can't tell the difference anymore?

People complained back in the day that Return of the Jedi was mostly a Muppet movie, but I'll take those practical Muppets over tiresome cg characters anyday.
>>
>>70841874

>worst Star Wars character

>not Jar Jar Banks

Keep trying you cuck
>>
File: BRAP.jpg (95 KB, 825x537) Image search: [Google]
BRAP.jpg
95 KB, 825x537
Hop on
>>
>>70852110
>having a meme opinion
maybe next time you'll not let 9gag think 4 u
>>
>>70841874
She's not bad.
>>
>>70847749
>endorsed and created by Lucas
>often he used it to retcon his own lore
>not to be touched even by Lucasfilm
>EU

You're irredeemably retarded.
>>
>>70841874
>forced and super cringy
You just described every Star Wars film made after ROTJ.
>>
A lot of my feelings towards 7 are either going to be validated or better fleshed out when 8 comes along.
I went into the movie expecting the picture the trailers painted and found myself disappointed. I thought it was good movie, but hardly the start the sequel trilogy needs. Star Wars 8 might come in explain and flesh out Rey and Luke further than what seven delivered.
I see what they're doing by keeping it all ambiguous, but it really felt like JJ was like "How can we develop these characters over three movies? I know I'll just give the heroine no backstory other than being scavenger".

By the time that orange little shit showed up I realised she was just on screen because they need a mentor figure before they blow their Mark Hamill load at the end.
>>
>>70841874
>REEEEEE this fantasy movie for children triggers me!! This character in a a child's fantasy movie is the worst ever!!!
>>
A post for another time.
>>
>>70841874
It felt really cheap because you sense all the writers' thought process behind it.

She has to be larger than life and weird while small (like the Incredibles fashion designer) so she's a tiny ugly woman who's like a pirate king etc - but also calm and wise and tempered like Yoda.

Yoda in ESB was the image of small humbleness in peace with himself and very limited. But that shit would be a sexist "tired old trope" (even though it's unexistant because the writer's mind always holds himself back and does the strong-willed tough talking gal thinking in doing that he's avoid the cliche, even though he's doing the real cliche)
>>
>>70856337
Irony. These threads trigger this boring response from you, every single time.
Your autism is hilarious.
>>
LE FORCED
LE CRINGY

Why aren't these words instant permaban by now?
>>
>>70841874

>'boyfriend'
>likes to have the BWC

triggered me
>>
>>70841951
No one is better than sheev. No one.
>>
>>70857292
>It felt really cheap because you sense all the writers' thought process behind it.
Well they ended up cutting everything they could of maz from the movie at the last minuite.

They weren't happy with the cg or mocap and tried to diminish the effects. I think the whole reason the second and third act are so disjointed from eachother is because Maz was supposed to be much more integral to the movie originally. What were left with are the absolute minimum of scenes they couldn't cut from the movie without creating bigger problems.
>>
>>70858816
it'd be pretty bad to have two ancient zany space pirates

Old Star Wars would mix genres in a elegant way, this one felt like it was mixing Star Wars tropes with Star Wars tropes (plus marvel/disney stuff)
>>
>>70841874
>Is she the worst Star Wars character ever?
I don't think that will ever be a valid question about any character other than Jar Jar.
At least until he's revealed as Snoke's master.
>>
File: 1464918481116.jpg (19 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1464918481116.jpg
19 KB, 300x400
>>70841874
>people complain about cgi Yoda
>somehow this is ok
>>
File: maz kanata.jpg (117 KB, 618x569) Image search: [Google]
maz kanata.jpg
117 KB, 618x569
General Leia, I'm former pod racing competitor who was designed to look similar to a statue that was briefly visible on a table in Anakin's childhood room in Star Wars: Episode I
>>
>>70855267
>not part of the OT or PT
>not EU
pick one
>>
>Those beasts! They found us!
No shit you fucking doofus you run a smuggler's tavern full of criminals and there are obvious FO sympathizers in the very room, and you very loudly said HAAAAN SOOOOOLOOOOOOOO!

Combining the wise sage with the criminal informant was a fucking awful decision and it made that whole segment feel bizarre.
>>
>>70861765
fuck i didnt know that shit was there
>>
>>70841874
butthole eyes
>>
File: poetry chronicles - old buddy.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
poetry chronicles - old buddy.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>70842955
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.