[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of Smashed (2012)? how well does it reflect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Smashed.jpg (234 KB, 1024x567) Image search: [Google]
Smashed.jpg
234 KB, 1024x567
What does /tv/ think of Smashed (2012)?

how well does it reflect alcoholism/addiction?
>>
>>70814992

I haven't seen Smashed, but Leaving Las Vegas and Barfly are superior. I guess you could also include Bad Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel.
>>
it showed some guy telling mary elizabeth winstead he wanted in mary elizabeth winstead's moist pusy and i thought wow this man and me think the same
>>
>>70814992
It's pretty good in that it doesn't glamorize alcoholism at all. Drunks aren't hardass geniuses like in these movies >>70815137. Most of them are just normal people that keep making the same stupid mistake over and over again.
>>
>>70815277

Hardass geniuses? They're a mess. They're wrecks. They're self-destructive. They're cripples. They can't stop and they don't want to.
>>
moist cakes
>>
it's more accurate portrayal of functioning alcoholics
>>
File: MEW.jpg (104 KB, 640x714) Image search: [Google]
MEW.jpg
104 KB, 640x714
>be a man, and fuck your wife

what did she mean by this?
>>
>>70815338
Those stories definitely sell a certain romanticism though, and it's the same romanticism that accompanies most alcoholic protagonists; that they are all somehow "more intelligent" or sensitive or what have you. I don't doubt that a lot of artists tend to have drinking problems but I also think that drinking is an "everyman" disease and the way it pops up in popular culture has a lot of people convinced otherwise.
>>
>>70815533

I don't think the 3 movies I named have intelligent protagonists.

They are full-on, death drive, freight train into the void, self-destructive, reckless maniacs.

I also watched them during the decade when I was a serious binge drinker.

You could also include Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call - New Orleans, although that certainly veers into more bizarre territory.
>>
>>70815338
Oh be nice
Have a pint
>>
>>70815533
i mean if you saw romanticism in Nic Cage's character in Leaving Las Vegas i dunno what to tell you mate
>>
>>70815784

I've been sober two years. That's when the rage came back.
>>
>>70815689
The protags in those movies were two writers and a detective. Those aren't jobs that chronically unintelligent people are successful at. And that's another trope that often accompanies these types of characters, that at some point they were almost prodigies in their fields. Your average drunk is just a normal douchebag that's never going to hit that right combination of charisma and self-destructive decadence that's going to allow them to bag a gorgeous hooker to fall in love with them as they lay on their deathbed. It's just a bit grandiose to me.
>>
>>70816002
Well movies about drunk losers who never do anything are very boring to watch
>>
>>70816002

What about an older lady lush with dirty feets?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.