[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was his superpower?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
What was his superpower?
>>
falling with style
>>
>>70808408
Always wondered this. Besides using his walking stick as a torch he was useless
>>
>>70808408
Horse DLC
>>
File: the-one-ring.jpg (375 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the-one-ring.jpg
375 KB, 1920x1080
>>70808408
what was the ring superpower?
>>
>>70808408
Not sure if troll or not.
>>
>>70808593
Stick to the movie and tell me what were his magic powers, beside calling the eagles every time he got in deep shit
>>
>>70808668
Well, apparently they dropped a lot in the movie adaptation. But I thought it was pretty well known Gandalf is some kind of demi-god world-guide.
>>
>>70808668
We see him drive off the Nazgul, do some kind of telekinesis shit against Saruman, kick Saruman out of Theoden's mind, and then turn his walking stick into a really bright headlight to scare some orcs
>>
>>70808668
He also breaks the bridge to kill the Balrog in the first movie
>>
File: 1445751273563.jpg (72 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
1445751273563.jpg
72 KB, 880x880
>>70808408
>>70808583
Unlimited power
>>
>>70808833
He looked almost bewildered he did it too.
>>
>>70808777
Yeah, I got as much from the books too, but it does very little to show his powers
>>70808810
So, really bright lights, telekinesis, and hypnosis
>>
>>70808882
Why do you need him to have defined "powers"

LotR isn't fucking capeshit
>>
- Casts lumos maxima to light the way through Moria
- Casts a light shield when fighting the Balrog, then uses ground slam to smash the bridge
- Dies, resurrects and classes up because he is literally a god
- Fights Saruman with magic (and loses), then later defeats Saruman in a battle of wills and eventually breaks his staff
- Has a sweet whistle that horses can't resist
- Can apparently talk to animals, like that moth that summons the eagles
- Consistently treats Pippin like garbage and demolishes his self-worth for 3 movies, never apologizes
- Casts light magic versus Nazgul and drives them away
>>
Why didn't he get the keys to orthanc / barad'dur or the staffs of the five wizards after Saruman got knifed?
>>
>>70808882
Well since he is only there as a guide, he can't do too much.
>>
Only times he went full wizard in the books was fighting the goblin king in The Hobbit and on weathertop in Lotr. Other than that it was more subtle shit like holding the Balrog back, and I guess he must have been pretty strong since he killed the Balrog. But I think his actual purpose was wisdom and guidance, not actually doing too much shit physically.
>>
He fought the balrog for like days on end.
>>
>>70809021

Saruman doesnt have those staves, and dont know why he would need the keys since whatever research is in there is probably evil
>>
He could summon horses and shiet
>>
Wasn't not having any overt superpower the whole point of the Wizards?

They were supposed to aid and counsel men, so his "superpower" would be persuasion skills.
>>
THEODEN KING STANDS ALONE
>>
Fireworks
>>
>>70809152
You mean his whizpoppers?
>>
>>70808408
>>70808481
Thing is that the 'good side' of the LoTR pantheon are all about enabling others. They play the long game of teaching and enabling others rather than empowering them.

The dynamic of evil vs good in middle earth has always been evil beings granting power to their servants in order to have badass troops while the good guys use their power themselves to help enable and teach the races to be better.

Many times the evil hordes win the initial battle because they have the power advantage, but the good side always grows to overwhelm and defeat the evil side. Because of this, the evil side is permanently weakened because the beings imbued with power have died and their energy is lost for all time.

The Lucifer of the setting went from a being that spent most of his time as a floating volcano that actually spewed COLD magma that would freeze anything it touched and shatter it and had a crown of a storm cloud constantly emitting lightning, and ended up basically a black skinned giant with a permanent limp and a gimpy hand.

Good guys use their power to create light, control the winds, summon lightning, or light a fire. Bad guys give their power to others so that those followers become beings of darkness, fire and smoke, and wield lightning and fire.
>>
>>70809021
>>70809071
Barad'dur is actually Sauron's home. Its the tower that had the burning eye at the top. Basically Saruman was saying he wanted to have all the powers and all the mcguffins and all the places of strength under his command for all time.
>>
Being white
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.