[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lord of the Rings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79
File: frodo.jpg (87 KB, 1170x877) Image search: [Google]
frodo.jpg
87 KB, 1170x877
Thank you /tv/ for convincing me to rewatch LOTR. I have not watched them in about eight years and thought they would not age well.

I was wrong. They've aged like a fine fucking wine.
>Perfect casting
>GOAT soundtrack
>Great action scenes
>Great drama and quiet scenes
>Perfect mixture of practical and CGI effects
>Those tears from "You bow to no one" scene

There will NEVER be films like these again.

Comfy LOTR thread I guess.
>>
fellowship >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2t & rotk
>>
Why didn't Frodo just put the one ring inside a football and kick it to Mordor so nobody was tempted by carrying it?
>>
Who here /watchallthreeeveryyearatChristmas/
>>
I'm an OT Star Wars fan and LOTR grew on me.

I can commiserate with the other LOTR fans about the Hobbit films being CGI schlock.
>>
File: 113322542436t.png (742 KB, 1028x754) Image search: [Google]
113322542436t.png
742 KB, 1028x754
>>70807360
Without a doubt.

>>70807335
Frodo isn't black yet.
>>
>>70807335
The elves crafted the rings, right? Why not craft a box of the same qualities to seal the ring inside, so the only way to get it out is to toss the box into the fires of Mount Doom, which would destroy the ring as well?
>>
>>70807732
celebrimbor crafted 19 rings for Sauron. Sauron taught him how to forge rings of power in the first place (and how to transfuse your own essence into them)
Seeing how they were crafted after Saurons design, Sauron also included a hook which allowed him to control all 19 ringbearers through the 20th, the master Ring, forged by himself.

originally all 19 rings were given as gifts to elven lords, but due to them sensing the essence of celebrimbor warning them, they pulled them off the moment sauron put his master ring on.

Then Sauron led a war to reclaim his property and got all but 3 rings back (carried by Elrond, Gandalf and Galadriel).

he then gave the reclaimed rings to the dwarfs and humans who were actually dumb enough to put them on.

TLDR: Tolkien can't write villains worth shit and should have left things more ambiguous.
>>
How much better would the movies have been without the godawful "comedic" relief quips?
>>
>>70809322
Kind of depressing desu

Lord of the Rings was about finding a shimmer of light in the darkness, and the silly quips helped ease the mood so it wasnt all doom and gloom.

The only thing i wouldve changed was having the ghosts not show up at Pelennor Fields and instead be the armies of Gondor.
>>
I agree OP. One of the few cases where I prefer the movies to the books.
>>
File: MUH EAGLES.png (2 MB, 1523x1348) Image search: [Google]
MUH EAGLES.png
2 MB, 1523x1348
>>70809322
people like to bitch about how Jackson made Gimli into a joke but it was honestly kind of needed. I fyou look carefully he has some serious moments too, it's just most people who didn't pay attention/don't remember the films well only remember him for his little quips
>>
>>70809362
>>70809578
I don't have a problem with quips in general (MCU does it well), but they were terrible in LOTR.
>>
>>70809290
stop getting your info from fucking games,
Celebrimbor oversaw the forging of the rings done by multiple elven smiths (the Gwaith-i-Mirdain), they forged 16rings after Annatar left the smiths (including Cele) forged the 3 that were 'free of Saurons influence'
Annatar/Sauron went to mt doom and forged the One, the moment he put it on the elves who wore the 3 realized they we're tricked and took off their rings, not puting them back on until Sauron was defeated.
All this to say you obv have no idea what your talking about, please stop.
>>
>>70809724
>they forged 16rings
oh and 'many lesser rings' basically practicing
>>
>>70809724
so the elves took them off and the 9 men became the ring wraiths, what happened the to the 7 dwarves?
>>
>>70809847
dwarves were 'hardier' and couldn't be controlled but the rings seemed to exacerbate 'bad' traits for the Dwarves they became really greedy hoarders, they kinda showed this 'badly' in the hobbit movies, but attributed to some made up 'jewel'
>>
>>70807273

wat about dat rohan music though?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXvZVdKyj44
>>
Is it me or did the CGI get worse throughout the trilogy?
>>
>>70809918
shit bait

arkenstone is straight from the books
>>
>>70809996
tard
you haven't read them have you?
the arkenstone is just another jewel basically.
I'm talking about the whole 'dragon sickness' shit thats suppose to be caused by the 7, not some shiny rock.
Which incidentally was reburied after tBoFA
>>
File: beleriand.png (2 MB, 1022x688) Image search: [Google]
beleriand.png
2 MB, 1022x688
>tfw you'll never wander Beleriand in days of old.
>>
GOAT scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Mtlklmna0
>>
>>70806036
I have nothing but good things to say about the original trilogy. I'll probably rewatch them again at some point, maybe when the weather gets comfier.
>>
File: 1318446909915.png (10 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1318446909915.png
10 KB, 429x410
>>70810320
>Alas that these evil days should be mine.
>The young perish, and the old linger.
>That I should live to see the last days of my house
>No parent should have to bury their child
As powerful now as it was when it first showed in theatres
>>
>>70806036
makes you wonder how the hobbit movies got fucked up so badly
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 504x335) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 504x335
Anyone here an extended edition fan? The theatrical cuts don't do it for me. I think the additional material really fleshes it out and smooths out the pacing.
>>
File: 1410065719426.jpg (14 KB, 417x466) Image search: [Google]
1410065719426.jpg
14 KB, 417x466
>>70807335
Why didn't Gandalf just use his firework magic to launch the ring into the sun?
>>
>>70810459
>Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
>Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
>Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
>Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
>They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
>The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?
>>
>>70810540
only extended impossible to watch the theater cut,
>>
>>70810540
Yes. I take a good 20 minute break half way through each movie though.
>>
>>70810540
I didn't know it was possible to watch the theatrical cuts again after watching the extended editions
>>
>>70810621
it isn't
>>
>>70809290
The 19 were distributed to elves dwarves and men not just elves

Three for the elven Kings under the sky
Seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone
Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to die
One for the dark lord on his dark throne
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie

The elves took the rings off but Elrond Galadriel and Gandalf still have them
The dwarves were too stubborn to be controlled and when the dragons attacker like 4 of their rings melted anyway
The men turned into ring wraiths
>>
>>70810540
ive been wanting to get the extended cuts but i cant bring myself to spend that much for movies atm.. im just savoring it up, and not watching the movies at all until i finally get the extended versions
>>
i'm just goig to go ahead and post my favortie scenes from the books

>Thus Gandalf softly sang, and then suddenly he changed. Casting his tattered cloak aside, he stood up and leaned no longer on his staff; and he spoke in a clear cold voice.

‘The wise speak only of what they know, Gríma son of Gálmód. A witless worm have you become. Therefore be silent, and keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving-man till the lightning falls.’

He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.

In the gloom they heard the hiss of Wormtongue’s voice: ‘Did I not counsel you, lord, to forbid his staff? That fool, Háma, has betrayed us!’ There was a flash as if lightning had cloven the roof. Then all was silent. Wormtongue sprawled on his face.

‘Now Théoden son of Thengel, will you hearken to me?’ said Gandalf. ‘Do you ask for help?’ He lifted his staff and pointed to a high window. There the darkness seemed to clear, and through the opening could be seen, high and far, a patch of shining sky. ‘Not all is dark. Take courage, Lord of the Mark; for better help you will not find. No counsel have I to give to those that despair. Yet counsel I could give, and words I could speak to you. Will you hear them? They are not for all ears. I bid you come out before your doors and look abroad. Too long have you sat in shadows and trusted to twisted tales and crooked promptings.’
>>
>>70809960
They added it into more scenes in the later films, so you probably remember the almost comical cgi like the legolas elephant scene. The cave troll in fotr doesn't hold up that well.
>>
>>70810540
>the cases have unique artwork and have minimalist design
>the hobbit extended edition basically just the movie poster
why
>>
>>70810871
Slowly Théoden left his chair. A faint light grew in the hall again. The woman hastened to the king’s side, taking his arm, and with faltering steps the old man came down from the dais and paced softly through the hall. Wormtongue remained lying on the floor. They came to the doors and Gandalf knocked.
‘Open!’ he cried. ‘The Lord of the Mark comes forth!’
The doors rolled back and a keen air came whistling in. A wind was blowing on the hill.
‘Send your guards down to the stairs’ foot,’ said Gandalf. ‘And you, lady, leave him a while with me. I will care for him.’
‘Go, Éowyn sister-daughter!’ said the old king. ‘The time for fear is past.’

The woman turned and went slowly into the house. As she passed the doors she turned and looked back. Grave and thoughtful was her glance, as she looked on the king with cool pity in her eyes. Very fair was her face, and her long hair was like a river of gold. Slender and tall she was in her white robe girt with silver; but strong she seemed and stern as steel, a daughter of kings. Thus Aragorn for the first time in the full light of day beheld Éowyn, Lady of Rohan, and thought her fair, fair and cold, like a morning of pale spring that is not yet come to womanhood. And she now was suddenly aware of him: tall heir of kings, wise with many winters, greycloaked, hiding a power that yet she felt. For a moment still as stone she stood, then turning swiftly she was gone.

‘Now, lord,’ said Gandalf, ‘look out upon your land! Breathe the free air again!’
>>
>>70810540
Theatrical cut is not an option

>want to watch LOTR with gf coz she's never seen it
>find it on netflix
>"Oh my God it's 3 hours1?"
>"nah that's not the right version, let me find on my laptop"
>"What's the right version?"
>"It's 4 and the only right way to watch it"
>"4 HOURS!???"
>"fucking fine we won't watch it"

Rather stare into a wall than make that decision.
>>
File: Aragorn_3.jpg (150 KB, 640x788) Image search: [Google]
Aragorn_3.jpg
150 KB, 640x788
I have to disagree with the popular sentiment on /tv/ that the extended editions are better.

While the extra scenes might be nice for established fans, they kind of throw off the pacing without adding anything essential.

Also there are a few moment in the extended edition that simply do not belong. An example is Gimli referring to an orc's "nervous system" or Legolas proclaiming "Game Over" (a phrase originated from video games).
>>
>>70810972
From the porch upon the top of the high terrace they could see beyond the stream the green fields of Rohan fading into distant grey. Curtains of wind-blown rain were slanting down. The sky above and to the west was still dark with thunder, and lightning far away flickered among the tops of hidden hills. But the wind had shifted to the north, and already the storm that had come out of the East was receding, rolling away southward to the sea. Suddenly through a rent in the clouds behind them a shaft of sun stabbed down. The falling showers gleamed like silver, and far away the river glittered like a shimmering glass.

‘It is not so dark here,’ said Théoden.

‘No,’ said Gandalf. ‘Nor does age lie so heavily on your shoulders as some would have you think. Cast aside your prop!’

From the king’s hand the black staff fell clattering on the stones. He drew himself up, slowly, as a man that is stiff from long bending over some dull toil. Now tall and straight he stood, and his eyes were blue as he looked into the opening sky.

‘Dark have been my dreams of late,’ he said, ‘but I feel as one new-awakened. I would now that you had come before, Gandalf. For I fear that already you have come too late, only to see the last days of my house. Not long now shall stand the high hall which Brego son of Eorl built. Fire shall devour the high seat. What is to be done?’
‘Much,’ said Gandalf. ‘But first send for Éomer. Do I not guess rightly that you hold him prisoner, by the counsel of Gríma, of him that all save you name the Wormtongue?’
>>
>>70810540
The boxsets are literally art.
>>
>>70811008
‘It is true,’ said Théoden. ‘He had rebelled against my commands, and threatened death to Gríma in my hall.’
‘A man may love you and yet not love Wormtongue or his counsels,’ said Gandalf.
‘That may be. I will do as you ask. Call Háma to me. Since he proved untrusty as a doorward, let him become an errand-runner. The guilty shall bring the guilty to judgement,’ said Théoden, and his voice was grim, yet he looked at Gandalf and smiled and as he did so many lines of care were smoothed away and did not return.
When Háma had been summoned and had gone, Gandalf led Théoden to a stone seat, and then sat himself before the king upon the topmost stair. Aragorn and his companions stood nearby.
‘There is no time to tell all that you should hear,’ said Gandalf. ‘Yet if my hope is not cheated, a time will come ere long when I can speak more fully. Behold! you are come into a peril greater even than the wit of Wormtongue could weave into your dreams. But see! you dream no longer. You live. Gondor and Rohan do not stand alone. The enemy is strong beyond our reckoning, yet we have a hope at which he has not guessed.’
Quickly now Gandalf spoke. His voice was low and secret, and none save the king heard what he said. But ever as he spoke the light shone brighter in Théoden’s eye, and at the last he rose from his seat to his full height, and Gandalf beside him, and together they looked out from the high place towards the East.
‘Verily,’ said Gandalf, now in a loud voice, keen and clear, ‘that way lies our hope, where sits our greatest fear. Doom hangs still on a thread. Yet hope there is still, if we can but stand unconquered for a little while.’
>>
>>70811040
and thats it, prob my favorite thing Tolkien's written
>>
>>70810871
>Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night
- Boromir the badass.
>>
>>70806036
Why do we need to have a LOTR cocksucking thread every single day?

Yes, it's an excellent trilogy with very few overt flaws, but the exact same shit is discussed every time, and always with the same brownnosing comments
>>
>>70811122
better than 10+ game of normies threads and 4 capeshit threads every single day
>>
>>70810979
The EE expands boromir and faramirs characters, as well as gives closure to saruman. As far as pacing, I'm so used to the EE that if I watched a theatrical cut, I would find it jarring. But I don't know people who watched the EE first to get their take on the issue.
>>
>>70811076
he really liked that Horn
>>
>>70806036
The LOTR trilogy was an instant classic.
>>
>>70811040
uh I just now, realized Gandalf told Theoden about Frodo and the ring. I never got that, I always thought he had whispered some spell
>>
File: comfy.gif (342 KB, 666x386) Image search: [Google]
comfy.gif
342 KB, 666x386
>>70806036

I cant wait for winter.

I'm gonna bundle up with the windows open and watch one a night with a little hot chocolate or some homemade shepherd's pie.

>mfw "Concerning Hobbits" comes on
>>
>>70811061
Everything about the children of hurin was wonderful and depressing. Hurins last journey was fucked up but the writing was great
>>
>>70809937
>edoras is basically a shack on a hill
is this supposed to be a kingdom
>>
>>70810979
The ee are worth their weight in gold simply for the behind the scene segments. I have yet to see anything from any movie that even come close to the cast just talking about the process. Comfy as fuck
>>
>tfw I love fantasy maps and always want to learn about the random cities that are on the maps but never really talked about

Even if its mundane shit I just want to learn about the people of some little bumfuck town on a random middle earth map :(
>>
>>70810244
NOT CANON
>>
>>70811309
oh yea, this chapter may be my favorite, but Beren and Luthien (silmarillion), and Children of Hurin are also fantastic,
>>
>>70806036
>comfy
i feel nostalgic
>>
>>70806036
I hate the set piece battle scenes though.
>>
>>70810974
Nice. There was nothing else you could've done
>>
>>70807273
This is soooo true. So much less cgi and way better grip of the world and how far you've gone. Also. AUJ>>>>>>>>>>DoS n BoFA
>>
>>70811361
iktfb. Sometimes I drop my streetview in some bumfuck town in Lithuania or something and just walk around.
>>
>>70807386
Stawars. Cgi schlock...
>>
File: George-RR-Martin-thumb.jpg (44 KB, 413x412) Image search: [Google]
George-RR-Martin-thumb.jpg
44 KB, 413x412
>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.
>>
>>70811447
you don't find nostalgia comfy?
>>
>>70811586
At least Tolkien finished his fucking series.
>>
>>70811533
>AUJ>>>>>>>>>>DoS n BoFA
they were all bad, bad bad bad. extended Beorn's house was the only good thing about that travesty
>>
>>70811586
Nothing wrong here. In reality both are valid approaches to writing fiction, but if you're going to spend decades writing books, you probably have to believe your methodology is superior
>>
>>70810084
Dragon sickness was badass. It was like a myth that helped thorin come to his character. It wasn't real, just an illusion based on how each king became corrupted. Thorins grandfather (who had a ring) could easily have been corrupted by the ring and not the sickness, as people often exaggerate historical figures
>>
>>70811586
What a fucking idiot. Stories are about the characters, not if they were good at their jobs. Fucking hack.
>>
>>70811537
iktf too

I also think about mundane shit like "how was this random ass piece of architecture or building constructed, and by who?"

I just find it fascinating
>>
>>70810475
Tbqf only the third one is bad. The other two are just good movies that can't hold up to LOTR
>>
>>70811586
he beat back the easterlings and haradrim, he combined the western lands under one rule, he established a dynasty that would last to the forth age, he was considered the greatest king that ever ruled. its like George either didn't read LotR or just chose to ignore 1/2 of it.
>>
File: 1465266110762.jpg (30 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1465266110762.jpg
30 KB, 480x720
>>70811586
>comparing fantasy to history
>>
>>70811586
>implying either approach is bad or that one is better than the other
>>
>>70811746
that's a nice thought but I think your giving the script writer to much credit
>>
>>70810475
they didn't. They are movies based on a fucking children's novel , and the whimsacle and goofy nature of them shows this.
>>
>>70811789
He also implied genocide of the orcs... Why was he a hero again?
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 827x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 827x1000
>>70810475
>makes you wonder how the hobbit movies got fucked up so badly
Basically, this fuck left at the last possible minute forcing Peter Jackson to do what he could with what he had. I'm surprised the movies even came out at all.
>>
>>70811586
also JRRT drew his inspiration from norse legends. GRRM from medieval history notably the War of Roses.
JRRT lived through 2 world wars he knew 'reality' far better then GRRM ever will.
Tolkien didn't want to write a story about everyone killing each other, he already lived it.
>>
>>70811586
lel dumb
In a society where the autocrat has absolute power, his personality decides the fate of his kingdom pretty much
Thats why feudal tales are all about "good lords and good kings"
>>
>>70811883
orcs were corrupted monsters, not some other race just trying to get by, they were literally evil. before you start bitching about Tolkien making an 'evil' race, he also made plenty of neutral/good ones e.g. the Huorn
>>
>>70810974
Theatrical version is better for first time watches, then extended for every following one.
>>
>>70811657
No he didn't. He died and his son did
>>
>>70811978
Defenceless, weak scattered and seeking only refuge away from humans. Forced into slavery out of fear and intimidation to do the bidding of a greater power.

Why are orcs considered bad and why is aragorn hunting and killing them all a heroic kingly act
>>
>>70811685
Ur joking. Misty mtns colds was GOAT plus that Gollum scene. Amazing
>>
File: 1439041908362.jpg (71 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1439041908362.jpg
71 KB, 1280x1024
>>70807335
>>70810544
>Why didn't Gandalf just use his firework magic to launch the ring into the sun?

For real tho

why didn't Gandalf just tape the ring to one of his firework rockets and shoot it into space?

so many plotholes
>>
>>70811844
Thank you.
>>
File: Bilbo.jpg (16 KB, 448x250) Image search: [Google]
Bilbo.jpg
16 KB, 448x250
>>70811586
Tolkien is the grandfather of modern high fantasy, whose legacy is immortalized in film and print for all time.

GRRM is a pretentious hack, whose bloated and meandering 'magnum opus' has long since lost its way and will probably never be finished.
>>
>>70812039
Agreed
>>
>>70812068
There are quite a few hidden gems in the hobbit trilogy.

Goblin town ost
Lake town ost
Dain ost
Riddles in the dark
Smaug and bilbo conversing
>>
>>70811844
>ITS A LE CHILDRENS NOVEL

no child would read that
>>
Is Lord of the Rings one of the most important literary works of history of this day and age
>>
>>70812065
>Defenceless, weak scattered
cannibalistic black magic using torture loving raping raiding monsters. Your giving the Orcs attributes they don't have.
When they're not 'enslaved' what do they do?
Rape Raid Eat people, torture and much more
>>
>>70812076
Magic. It's like sayin why didn't harry potter just buy a gun and shoot voldemort. There is just a level of badass magic you can achieve that allows you to be aware of certain things
>>
>>70812068
oh yea fair point Gollum that was great
>>
>>70812142

Yeah, or, it was until ASOIAF took over it's place on the throne of king fantasy.
>>
>>70812076
it wouldn't breach the atmosphere it would just come back down. And now they have to look everywhere just to find the bloody thing again
>>
>>70812184
I don't believe ASOIAF will be looked back on in history as being a game changer.

Harry Potter was huge but it wasn't a game changer either
>>
>>70809918
i thought the dwarves lost all their rings
>>
>>70812076
For one, space and the stars don't exist in Middle Earth like they do in our world. They just don't. Hell, do you know what happens if you take a boat far enough west?

Also, even if it did work like that, the whole point was that it needed to be destroyed. Sure, it couldn't be used for evil purposes, but evil in the form of the evil that Sauron crafted would still exist, at least until it eventually reached a sun or such, which could take a very long time.

Also, fireworks don't normally exit the atmosphere.

There are plotholes, but its hard to call this one of them.
>>
>>70812184
>being this pleb
lol
>>
>>70812224
no, though a dragon did melt a few and I have read pretty convincing theories that Sauron had all the remaining rings by the end of the War of the Ring
>>
>>70812207
Hmm I would definitely call both of them changers. Both started genres. Harry poster started the young adult fantasy like Percy Jackson and spiderwick. GOT started the whole idea of hiding characters for an entire book just so it is thrilling when they reappear. Now every tv show is doing this wayward pines did this, the strain is doing this
>>
File: 1419831842910.png (982 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
1419831842910.png
982 KB, 1920x800
>>70806036
Don't forget
>GOAT waifu
>>
>>70812231
Name one plothole plz
>>
>>70812207
>>70812233
Hurrr. Retards.
LOTR wasn't nearly as groundbreaking as you wish it was. Tolkien copied everything from old mythologies. GRRM combined the Tolkienesque together with old accurate history to create something never experienced before. You're just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.
>>
>>70812203
whos fucking idea was it to use fireworks? three fucking days we've been at this Pippen i'll will fucking cut you
-Gandalf post fireworks plan
>>
>>70810974
I just didn't tell my girlfriend at the time how long it was going to be. We ended up just having sex and falling asleep about half way through though.
>>
>>70807273
this, rotk was a disgrace
>>
>>70812297
why does tom bombadil exist
how come eru didnt do something
what did blue wizards do
>>
>>70812324
>Fantasy conventions established by Tolkien literally shaped the entire fantasy genre into using the same similar tropes to this day
>a fantasy book with well written characters is somehow supposed to be one of a kind

nah fuck off
>>
>>70812158

They were in orc high school studying to become orc doctors! They were about to turn their lives around!
>>
>>70812324
GRRM is good for his limited perspective. Not for his killing. That was done before in Shakespeare and other famous tragic writers it ain't new. However his characters having a limited perspective instead of everyone knowing all the facts like an encyclopedia (similar to Tolkien) is cool as fuck
>>
>>70812399
>dramatic irony is somehow a new concept developed by GRRM
>>
>>70812137
I read it when I was 10 and fucking loved it
>>
>>70812389
>how come eru didnt do something
he did he sent the Istari
>what did blue wizards do
went east
>why does tom bombadil exist
Tolkien had tried acid for the first time
>>
>>70812389
I think you need to educate yourself on what a plothole is anon
>>
>>70812324
>Tolkien copied everything from old mythologies
The story bases and themes maybe, but there was nothing akin to the way he compiled his work and crafted an entire world.
>>
>>70812389
Tom bombadil was a metaphor for jesus or a new testament god. As to how he got there it is similar to Jesus's mystery. Eru similarly is the old testament God. He only allows for help in a natural way, like making Gollum fall into the fire. Also does God even help irl or is he just like Eru. The third is who cares. They are there to add wonder and depth to the story. Just because they don't do anything doesn't mean they aren't good editions to the lore
>>
>>70812399
>GOT fans don't even know the literary basics you would get in a fucking high school class
Lol
>>
>>70812502
your talking to someone who hasn't even read Tolkien or GRRM, just stop responding he's regurgitating some shit he got off reddit or something, it doesn't make sense
>>
>>70812389
>Why does tom bombadil exist

“Tom Bombadil is not an important person—to the narrative. I suppose he has some importance as a ‘comment’… [H]e represents something that I felt important, though I would not be prepared to analyze the feeling precisely. I would not, however, have left him in, if he did not have some kind of function. I might put it this way. The story is cast in terms of a good side, and a bad side, beauty against ruthless ugliness, tyranny against kingship, moderated freedom with consent against compulsion that has long lost any object save mere power, and so on; but both sides in some degree, conservative or destructive, want a measure of control. But if you have taken ‘a vow of poverty,’ renounced control, and take your delight in things for themselves without reference to yourself, watching, observing, and to some extent knowing, then the question of the rights and wrongs of power and control might become utterly meaningless to you, and the means of power quite valueless. It is a natural pacifist view, which always arises in the mind when there is a war."
>>
>>70812516
>Tom bombadil was a metaphor for jesus
nah more like representing the nymphs fairies, pixies, saytrs, basically the magical woodland creatures in old myths, tha'ts why he's never explained.
>>
>>70812500
i wasnt even that guy in the original reply chain. i just wanted to ask questions so i jumped in
>>
>>70812462
Nah it's more than just dramatic irony. Like sometimes you as a reader don't know whether or not to trust what you reading because of the bias of certain characters. Add that to the dramatic irony and ur halfway there
>>
books or movies?
>>
>>70812392
>>70812399
>>70812502
Tolkien is a hack who can't decide if he wants to write comedy or fantasy so he fails at both.

>>70812536
You don't have to read the original work to judge an author when there's fateful adaptations in other mediums.
>>
>>70812619
>What is catcher in the rye
>>
>>70812570
Cuz jesus is explained. He died for ur sins to unlock some gates of heaven than have had this really mean bouncer
>>
>>70812634
>there's fateful adaptations
>fateful
their sure was, last time I'm responded to you bud, you can't read your 'points' are nonsense and your illiteracy is obvious. Bye now
>>
>>70812648
Yea if it wasn't just one character brooding about how life sucks. AsoiaF has literally thousands of fleshed out character jus like Holden Cauflied. However most got cut from the show
>>
>>70807360
It's my tradition, starting 2 hours after christmas dinner. Family always joke about it.
>>
>>70812693
You don't get my point that because its popular doesn't mean its a literary game changer
>>
>>70806036
>tfw literally the only reason this horrifying nightmare is unfolding is because some FUCKING FAGGOT stole the light from the two trees and the valar kinda just let him
>>
>>70812727
No I think it's a game changer whe it establishes the model for a genre. Similar to how Doable started dungeon crawlers, Warcraft started RTS and counter strike FPS
>>
>>70812766
Now I know I'm being trolled
>>
>>70812759
Serves that jew elf right for denying the valar the silmarils to begin with. I was laughing my ass off throughout the dagor bragolach
>>
>>70811685
I thought the extended mirkwood sequence was good
>>
>>70812794
And yet you keep responding :^)
>>
>>70812857
ok
>Riddles in the Dark
>Beorn
>Mirkwood b4 Lego shows up
Thats it
>>
File: 1396058944276.jpg (7 KB, 266x190) Image search: [Google]
1396058944276.jpg
7 KB, 266x190
>>70810974
> expecting women to understand this movie
>>
>>70812759
Feanor was a colossal asshole
Never Forget
>>
File: 1377042787258.png (32 KB, 300x330) Image search: [Google]
1377042787258.png
32 KB, 300x330
>you will never be a hobbit, relaxing with your best hobbit friend smoking pipe weed, drinking beer and watching the sun set over the green peaceful shire
>>
>>70812967
Don't forget smaug (bar the dwarf chase)
>>
>>70809290
I though Sauron was just a big red vagina in the sky... how is he having conversations with elves and shit?
>>
>>70812967
eh, I thought most of the stuff that stuck to the books was decently done, but everything that went off the rails or full cgi was trash. Thankfully fan cuts rectified most of my major issues.
>giving a wormtongue knockoff joke character more lines than bilbo
>>
File: 1423160459704.jpg (227 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1423160459704.jpg
227 KB, 1024x768
>>70812973
My gf read and loved the books before I did, but I still agree with you on the overall though, most women don't understand at all.
>>
File: 1465106412738.jpg (38 KB, 588x526) Image search: [Google]
1465106412738.jpg
38 KB, 588x526
>mfw I finish watching the extended trilogy in one sitting, and realize I'll never have a grand adventure of that scale with my friends.

https://youtu.be/RMInqyumZ3I
>>
File: 112423543643.jpg (33 KB, 511x383) Image search: [Google]
112423543643.jpg
33 KB, 511x383
>>70813182
Playing DnD is the closest I get and that ends in us just killing everything because no one ever wants to talk their way out of a situation.
>>
>>70813088
can u recommend a good fan cut?
>>
File: 1445346654518.jpg (102 KB, 422x408) Image search: [Google]
1445346654518.jpg
102 KB, 422x408
>>70813173
> wow anon i don't want to watch 4 hours of the same movie
> proceeds to watch several hours worth of Game of Thrones
>>
>>70813083
He's not that's only in the movie
>>
File: 1394432652412.jpg (63 KB, 406x464) Image search: [Google]
1394432652412.jpg
63 KB, 406x464
>>70813182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hluMK_Rpj0
>>
>>70813218
Maple film's cut is ~4 hours and cuts out most of the offending material. It's probably the best right now unless you get autistic and cut your own like I did
>>
>>70811586
Imagine all of these questions, but asked about Odin, Thor, King Arthur and co, the actual inspirations for Tolkien. He was creating a new, imagined mythology, which was meant to contain a moral compass for modern England and speak to the sensibilities he thought were important in his country, while capturing what was fantastic and engaging about real life mythologies from different european cultures.

GRRM can't understand fucking any of that because he is a retarded neckbeard American who just likes murder porn with a history seasoning.
>>
File: 1385212809405.jpg (138 KB, 438x499) Image search: [Google]
1385212809405.jpg
138 KB, 438x499
>I would have followed you, my brother... My captain... My king.
>>
File: 1464576870377.jpg (380 KB, 1164x730) Image search: [Google]
1464576870377.jpg
380 KB, 1164x730
>>70813244
Surprisingly enough she is completely uninterested in GoT, books or show, it's so fucking weird, she's very girly with her TV, lots of Friends, How I met your mother, and Big Bang theory. Never seen so much of friends till I started dating her.
>>
>>70813247
Not even in the movies, in the introduction he's a bad ass clad fully in armor with a mace.
>>
File: wife.jpg (31 KB, 500x208) Image search: [Google]
wife.jpg
31 KB, 500x208
>you will never have a cute humble peaceful and loyal hobbit wifu that will always love you, make you tons of cute curvy kids and will miss you and wait you from your unexpected journey no matter what
jdimsa
>>
File: 1461663714797.jpg (49 KB, 565x486) Image search: [Google]
1461663714797.jpg
49 KB, 565x486
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAz5QfH1uxg

> mfw walking through a forest during winter listening to this

I have never experienced comfort like that
>>
>>70813288
Sweet sounds like a good starting point.
>I can probably shave another hr off
>>
>>70811586
Another thing this fucking fat retarded fuck completely doesn't understand is that LOTR like the Hobbit isn't about Aragorn. He is in there, but Frodo is the protagonist. LOTR is about the triumph of the small man against insurmountable horror and evil. Heroes like Aragorn and Gandalf are the backdrop for that.
>>
File: 1391563134319.png (128 KB, 579x523) Image search: [Google]
1391563134319.png
128 KB, 579x523
fucking hell lads listening to this soundtrack just makes me want to go for one big comfy walk

I think i might do that now
>>
File: 1462645802505.jpg (88 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1462645802505.jpg
88 KB, 645x773
>>70813272
It's should be renamed the house of feeling rather than the house of healing
>>
>>70813334
I know there are some shorter ones that get to under 3 hours, but I think they go a too far. It's easy to just keep snipping once you've already taken out 4-5 hours of complete trash. The final product is never going to be LoTR tier, but at least you don't have rabbit sleds or elf-dwarf romances constantly interrupting the movie.
>>
>>70813329
Reminder that sam despite being the actual hero was the least rewarded. He married the town bike, everyone's had a go on rosie. Poor sam
>>
File: 1356954312987.png (35 KB, 222x200) Image search: [Google]
1356954312987.png
35 KB, 222x200
>>70813437
> I wish i could hold you
> closeeeeeer
>>
File: Image.jpg (167 KB, 854x363) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
167 KB, 854x363
>>70813023
>he never shared an evening drink during a mild summer in rural England with a friend, and it was actually worth saying 'Remember today, little brother. Today, life is good.'
RIP, bro
>>
Who do you think she fucked on set?
>>
File: 1364553723050.jpg (145 KB, 1102x967) Image search: [Google]
1364553723050.jpg
145 KB, 1102x967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9skYkQfAwus

ALRIGHT LADS REV UP THEM FEELS
>>
>>70813479
Thx senpai sounds good I'll def give it a try, I haven't watched that dreck since release
>>
>>70813299
>>70813556
o-one day the tower guard will take up the call... r-right guys
>>
>>70813570
Ben A'fleck
>>
File: 1412842790104.gif (762 KB, 245x150) Image search: [Google]
1412842790104.gif
762 KB, 245x150
>>70813594
>tfw the weakness of men
>tfw men keep trying against insurmountable odds in the face of weakness
>>
>>70813485
He became the mayor and got to go to the undying lands, could be worse
>>
Why do a nine horse riding Nazgul so suck at chasing Hobbits?
>>
>>70813640
Test
senpai
Senpai
>>
File: 1391815347008.png (75 KB, 851x871) Image search: [Google]
1391815347008.png
75 KB, 851x871
>>70813657
>>70813662
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhNv55-koU
>>
>>70813570
Dominic Monaghan after a fun night of getting wasted, and at least one of the kiwi stunt guys.
>>
>>70813735
That's fucking weird it's changes
>senpai
To
>Senpai
I never noticed, this boards kinda weird
>>
>>70813770
Senpai-ily
>>
>>70811894
I fucking hate that fat stupid fuck.
>>
>>70813329
reminder that this is sean astins actual familia
>>
>>70806036
They really have, I rewatched them recently and they are just fantastic.

FoTR > TTT > RotK

All masterpieces in their own right.
>>
File: 1459476141833.jpg (95 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459476141833.jpg
95 KB, 1920x1080
>>70813739
If there was ever a time someone should have gotten at least an Oscar nomination, it was Sean Astin just for this scene. He's shit in a lot of other things, but he nailed Sam, he just fucking nailed what Sam should be in a film.
>>
File: 1428077365711.jpg (4 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1428077365711.jpg
4 KB, 320x180
>>70813883
>he nailed Sam
did they share the load afterwards
>>
>tfw you play LOTRO even though it sucks for dem feels
>>
>>70813830
Your not allowed to hate him, he made hellboy.
>>
File: dragon pepe.jpg (61 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
dragon pepe.jpg
61 KB, 832x690
>>70810974
>gf doesn't give a fuck about Star Wars etc, but usually watch at least one movie together at weekend
>cba watching something artsy/ highbrow, just want something fun and escapist and immersive
>decide that gf needs to watch LoTR
>make tea and biscuits, chill in front of the big tv like hobbits and shit, eat ploughman's for lunch
>watch it over two weekends, feels and tears were had
>after it was over, gf turns to me and says "thank you for making me watch Lord of the Rings boo"
>tfw women totally get it
>even the charge of the rohirrim
>>
>>70813927
no I play battle for middle earth
>>
File: 1454723684716.png (214 KB, 404x411) Image search: [Google]
1454723684716.png
214 KB, 404x411
>>70813901
oh sam
>>
File: sissified green elves.png (194 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
sissified green elves.png
194 KB, 500x349
>>70813570
ORCED
>>
File: 1461531323178.png (63 KB, 249x252) Image search: [Google]
1461531323178.png
63 KB, 249x252
>>70813995
>boo
>>
File: 1448888865212.jpg (1 MB, 2880x2000) Image search: [Google]
1448888865212.jpg
1 MB, 2880x2000
gonna throw these out for you all <3
>>
>>70813883
He should have gotten the oscar for nailing the cornish accent. One of the most difficult if you ask me
>>
File: 1448890646414.jpg (1 MB, 2861x1998) Image search: [Google]
1448890646414.jpg
1 MB, 2861x1998
>>
>>70812231

what happens when you take a boat far enough west?
>>
File: 1448890921758.jpg (1 MB, 2879x1993) Image search: [Google]
1448890921758.jpg
1 MB, 2879x1993
aaand done
>>
>>70813182
Try doing deep woods camping. I just got back from two weeks in Baxter State Park in Maine with an extremely close friend. Hoofing 50 pounds of gear miles from civilization on trails made and kept by the moose and bear, canoeing onto a mountain lake without sight of a building, literally miles from the closest human soul, no sounds but that of nature, and climbing a mountain to a bald and craggy top, the cloud floating below making the feeling of being at the edge of the world as the occasional wisp of white tufts up over the knife's edge. It may not be crossing countries and fighting orcs, but it gives one a very strong affect.
Do it, faggot
>>
File: wut.png (310 KB, 600x318) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
310 KB, 600x318
>>70814051
how could one who made this fuck everything up in the prequel?
>>
>>70814094
Literal edge of the world, but that's before Eru changed/broke the world, a lot of ppl forget this
>>
>>70814156
lack of time
and being forced to turn a single book story into a god damn epic trilogy

i feel sorry for him
>>
>>70814156
he just stopped giving a fuck
>>
>>70814156
JUST
>>
File: 1443680420545.jpg (49 KB, 1000x688) Image search: [Google]
1443680420545.jpg
49 KB, 1000x688
>>70814149
>extremely close friend
>>
I only have Return of the King extended, didn't get to see Fellowship and The Two Tower extended
>>
>>70814432
tpb
>>
File: 1315450442619.jpg (122 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1315450442619.jpg
122 KB, 645x773
>You bow to no-one.
>>
File: extra.jpg (47 KB, 849x366) Image search: [Google]
extra.jpg
47 KB, 849x366
The Charge of the Rohirrim never fails to make me swell with emotion. I've watched that scene a lot.

And this guy never fails to get to me. All the other big actors have their close ups and slow mo shots of their war faces charging into battle, it's all very dramatic, but then you get this real quick cut of this guy, this fucking extra, who I'm convinced believed it was real. This motherfucker looks like he could kill real life orcs. He is fucking in there.
>>
>>70814080
What scene is the very bottom left?
>>
>>70815309
the horse and the rider
this bit >>70810576
>>
>>70815309
ah woops no, its Faramir dreaming of finding Boromir, only in extended
>>
>>70815242
>given 3 seconds of spotlight in a major film like LOTR
>not going fucking HAM on that shit

Fucker could've ridden straight through the Black Gate up the side of Sauron's big black tower himself
>>
>muh pacing

Honestly, the awkward pacing of the EE's just makes it feel more realistic
>>
>>70815242
thats fucking awesome pls tell me you've got more hardcore extras
>>
Aged well due to amazing aesthetics and the actor performances and perfectly casted roles, except for eowyn. Also great soundtrack.
Cgi didnt, battle scenes still make me cringe a little.
>>
>>70807273

Pretty much this.

I enjoyed Fellowship. It was a good adventure film of epic proportions.

The other two films are kinda dull. The only thing I can remember from them are cgi action scenes and various closeups of Legolas saying dramatic things.

The Battle of Helm's Deep was pretty dope tho
>>
>>70815242
I remember this guy. It's a real quick cut but you just know he listens to Pantera.
>>
File: argon32.jpg (80 KB, 1914x778) Image search: [Google]
argon32.jpg
80 KB, 1914x778
>>
>>70810979
"game over" could be from board games like chess.

I imagine powerful scholars could have discovered a nervous system after poking around in an orc's brain.
>>
>>70812231
well what if he made a really big firework? like at least three times the size of that dragon one. then it would probably go into space
>>
>>70807360
never thought about it, but I watch them all in my birthday (december 29th) or start the night before and finish them in the morning after comfy allnighter.... really it's the best way to greet my birthday, but hell I watch the trilogy be it normal or extended atleast 4 times a year
>>
>>70806036
Frodo is so moe~
>>
>>70809290
man, you should not treat Shadow of Mordor as LOTR lore, the three elven rings were the only ones not controlled by Sauron, but he could sense them, with the power of Elrond's ring he mantained Rivendell hidden from the Eye and in a pristine comfy state, Galadriel used it to "make" and protect Lothlorien, and Gandalf I think uses it as an rpg item to boost his powers (Gandalf for some reason has an affinity to fire it seems, like his ring), Sauron had power really only over the Nine, since the Dwarves are stubborn fucks and could not be swayed but still the dark nature of the rings led them to their doom, also on the matter of Narya, Nenya and Vildya they were crafted by Celebrimbor alone after Sauron departed Eregion, Narya was entrusted to Gil-Galad and then to Cirdan who I think used it in some capacity to build and protect the Grey Havens from Sauron
>>
>>70809322
awful really, they need those quips and comfy moments so they don't become le grimdark fantasy films

really we should have more films with the Lotr mood, those moments maintained the tone of hope and longing for a good time throughtout the trilogy
>>
>>70809578
well Gimli in the books was really a secondary character, I don't think he has that much dialog at all there, also a comedic relief for The Three Hunters was needed since we don't have the heroic "I am the king fuck you" Aragorn we have in the books so we needed someone to balance the mood
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owq_aBJ9G6Q

this is not the best scene or the most emotional, but it's the highest peak of the camera work in the trilogy
>>
>>70809918
Dwarves are stubborn as a fucking mule and that helped them get around sauron's influence but the rings gave them bad luck mainly, also it was because of them that the Middle Earth started the Dwarves are greedy fucks meme
>>
>>70812076
they didnt have duct tape
>>
>>70810244
the Naugrim are the Misty mountains right?
>>
>>70810540
is there even someone that watches the theatrical cuts? I cannot force myself to watch those I only watch the extended ones, although like other anon said I take a break at the middle of each movie, mainly to grab snacks, drink and stretch my legs
>>
>>70814094
Before fall of Numenor: you reach Aman and the Valar probably make your ship get lost.

After fall of Numenor: you reach America.
>>
>>70817709
The Naugrim are the Dwarves. Those are the Blue Mountains, called Ered Luin in Sindarin.
>>
>>70817673
Nah, the greedy dwarves meme wa because dwarves murdered Thingol over a Silmaril
>>
>>70810966
because after Del Toro bailed The hobbit became pure corporate mandate contrary to Lotr which was made with love, it's like a contrast between buying a big mac and making a XBOXHUEG hamburger from scratch at home
>>
>>70812043
Lotr was finished by tolkien in it's entirety same with the hobbit (although that is a children's book like 150 pages long)
>>
>>70812184
ASOIAF is a fucking unnecessesary bloated shit, it became popular because of the idiotic tv show, no one that is a fantasy novel fan would put ASOIAF over Lord of the Rings, atleast granted if they aren't retarded edgy faggots that need characters dying for shock value every chapter
>>
>>70818222
What's worse is normie fucking shits pretending to be life long fantasy fans, makes me RREEEEEE pretty bad
>>
>>70812759
Feanor was a fucking kike and deserved everything that happened to him and his line
>>
>>70809578
From the commentaries and behind the scenes stuff it seemed more like most of that was improvised by the actor himself
>>
Who
>blueray filters
here?
>>
>>70813244
this so fucking much

I once tried to watch the trilogy with a girlfriend halfway throught the fellowship he borrowed my computer put on headphones and proceeded to watch vampire diaries for the 12 ducking hours the trilogy lasted... the good thing is we were drinking and fucked afterwards
>>
>>70813570
my bet is on Elijah
>>
>>70814432
see them online, no movie site has something other than the extendeds
>>
I saw them when I was like twelve and didn't care for them that much. I felt like a lot of things went over my head. Should I rewatch them now that I'm an adult?
>>
>>70817449
late december bro
30th here
>>
>>70818704
what are you waiting for nigga?
>>
>>70818743
best season to have a birthday, Christmas gifts and party, my birthday gifts and party, new years eve dinner and party... from X-mas to new year's it's probably my favorite week of the year
>>
>>70814156
dude literally only slept for like 3 hours every day.
>>
>>70811349
Rohan is the kingdom, edoras is the capital. It's clearly inspired by scandanavian history
>>
File: 1437485102327.jpg (21 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1437485102327.jpg
21 KB, 500x282
>tfw I'll never live in some cosy British countryside far away from cities with beautiful greenery surrounding me for miles like the shire
>>
>>70811586
come on, is no one going to post tolkien's retort?
>>
>>70812076
You don't know what a plothole is
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.