[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people so opposed to the idea of "not getting it?"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: no one.jpg (61 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
no one.jpg
61 KB, 1920x1080
I see this brought up a bunch. People are very against the notion that they do not understand something after watching, and remain confident in their thought even if they watch an acclaimed film and end up greatly disliking it. But my question is why? What makes people so anal about (the possibility of) not understanding something?

I realize that if you post a decent analysis/review/post about a film and someone leaves a one-liner about how you don't get it, then yeah, that's something else, it's just poor posting in general. But I'm really perplexed as to why this is so troublesome for so many to hear.
>>
I hear the term lazy writing a lot. Everything else is fine, but this bit, this isolated occurrence is somehow just lazy writing.
>>
>>70780839
People are fearful or in denial of being unintelligent or even average intelligence.
>>
>>70780839
>But I'm really perplexed as to why this is so troublesome for so many to hear.
It's a really passive aggressive way of calling someone dumb. How can you not get that?
>>
>>70781179
This.
There are lots of things that I understand, but don't like or agree with.
The only time I've ever heard "Well, you just don't get/understand it." It's basically used as an insult.
No, I understand, your opinion is just shit.
>>
Because there's a very good chance that you didn't get it because this board is filled with GoT watching plebs.
>>
>>70780839
Reminds me of that episode of Brooklyn 99 with the Swedish cops.
>>
>>70781179
>>70781264
That isn't what he is saying is it? I read it to mean ''why do plebs hate being told they didn't get it and why do they try so hard to fight it'.
>>
>>70780839
Idk i feel like there are many levels of "not getting it" and a lot of people fail to articulate which capacity it is that they fall short of comprehending something(or else they'd understand it, wouldn't they?). Such as did they just not see the appeal of the film, or did they not understand the mechanical underpinnings of the plot/narrative or visuals, etc.

>>70781132
I would think what this anon says would be the case, but in my experience it isn't, and it flies against what OP was saying. OP was pointing out how people are quick to say they don't understand something and asking why that is so common. I think admitting a lack of understanding would usually mean they had ceded to some capacity of unintelligence (or lack of perceptory faculties)
>>
Is there a more pretentious thread on the entirety of 4chan right now?
>>
who is this faggot posting pictures of a 13 year old boy night after night
>>
>>70781493
*i had misread OP's post before writing this post like a dumbass, i had read it as asking why people will be so quick to say they don't understand a piece of media, whereas he's actually askjng why people are so belligerent

t. tired anon
>>
File: indieasfuck[1].jpg (61 KB, 468x700) Image search: [Google]
indieasfuck[1].jpg
61 KB, 468x700
>>70780839
Because a lot of films or shows that are just shit are paraded as being really deep and instead of being shit you just didn't get it. See every indie film with a cover like this. It's become a go-to response that people use to defend something they like that other people don't like, and as such telling someone who does it to go fuck themselves has also developed into a go-to response.

It's an actual meme, by the definition the word had before lolcats.
>>
r/movies probably gets it more than anyone on fucking /tv/ does
>>
>>70781684
What movie is it?
>>
>>70781715
every movie
>>
>>70781731
Whats the movie in the op pic
>>
>>70781684
You're right, let's all go there and never return to /tv/ again, you first.
>>
File: DE.jpg (906 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
DE.jpg
906 KB, 1920x816
People are afraid of looking dumb, so when you point out that they don't understand their own hobby/point of interest they amp up their defenses to 120%
>>
>>70780839
People don't like the idea of something being beyond them, they convince themselves they either don't like it, it's boring or not worth it.

When it's something like math they can't argue with test results that show they don't understand, so many admit it's beyond them (though often it isn't, they just haven't tried hard enough)

When there's no test, people don't want to look stupid so claim they simply don't like something so they no longer have to talk about it. BvS is the perfect example. It's not a great movie (but did have moments of greatness), but most of the hate was due to lack of understanding, not understand and seeing the flaws.
>>
>>70781434
>being wrong means you learn something and any opportunity to learn is good ja?
>>
>>70781764
>it's a /tv/irgin doesn't know how to use two websites at once
>>
I agree, always annoys me when people bitch about not understanding a film. Not all films have a straight forward meaning, but can be enjoyable whether you understand it or not
>>
File: Kill-list-poster[1].jpg (71 KB, 563x842) Image search: [Google]
Kill-list-poster[1].jpg
71 KB, 563x842
>>70780839
I'll fully admit that I had no clue what the fuck was going on in the ending of Kill List. After a relatively cryptic and hard to follow movie, the climax involves a completely non-sensical knife fight between the protagonist and a hooded hunchback, and when he kills the hunchback it turns out it was his wife with his son strapped to her back, who he's killed.
Now see, this doesn't make any sense because the last we saw of the wife she was blasting her way through cult members, which were the same cult that abducted the protagonist and forced him into said knife fight.
Oh, and keep in mind this whole cultist thing is only established in the last twenty minutes. Everything before that is basically a gritty movie about hitmen with troubled pasts.
What the fuck.
>>
>>70780839

To offer another simple suggestion to all the legitimate replies posted I think it might be a matter of laziness too. People don't like to rewatch things they didn't like on first viewing and it takes less effort to call that person condescending, even though I've genuinely enjoyed media upon a rewatch I was let down by the first viewing.
>>
>>70781917
>it's a newfag says /tv/irgin instead of fa/tv/irgin because he's just that fucking new

Summer's here
>>
>have an old high school friend who subscribes to everything YMS says and loves watching stuff like The Holy Mountain
>still goes to community college after 5 years
>consistently talks down to me and my friends because we love cape movies and don't really enjoy watching his movies
>calls cape movies action comedy drivel
>says that we just aren't smart enough to understand the films he likes
>I graduated with a degree in finance from UCLA and my friend is doing a phd in MRI technology at Stanford
People can understand the movie, the themes, the symbolism. Doesn't mean they always have to enjoy it. I can dislike critically acclaimed movies under my own criteria.
>>
>>70782149
guess summer is year long now

what are you going to do? leave? lmao
>>
>>70781996

It was all part of their plan basically. They wanted the hitman to be like their leader or something. Everything he did was part of the ritual.
>>
File: sd.jpg (976 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sd.jpg
976 KB, 1920x1080
>>70782156
>Because I learned to repeat different things than my (poor) friend I am definitely smarter than him and *get* films.

lmao ur such a fucking r*terad
>>
>>70780839
I'm very happy to acknowledge when something goes over my head. I'll just say "Oh, yeah, totally missed that. Fair call."

On the other hand, though, it's very frustrating to be told you "just didn't get it" when you know that you did, and just found it stupid.

Like many terms and phrases thrown around on /tv/, it has its valid moments but is generally greeted with harsh response due to its far-too-frequent usage in the wrong situations.
>>
>>70782183
make bread
>>
>>70782156

>People can understand the movie, the themes, the symbolism. Doesn't mean they always have to enjoy it.

I don't think anyone denies that scenario, just that it's unjustifiable. These people are usually repetitive and vocal about their dislike. But if you're not like that, you can hold your tongue about being a proud pleb then all the power to you.

Congratulations on your degree though lol? not sure that was necessary to point out
>>
>>70782228
I can accept that, but what's with the movie randomly thrusting him into a knifefight with his wife who minutes earlier was shooting the cult members? Why was she a hooded hunchback with his son strapped to her back?
Seriously came off as a cool idea the director had but he had zero clue how to get there.
>let's put a title card called The Hunchback and just jump cut to it
>>
>>70782372
He pulled out a retarded side argument with 'i was richer than my poor friend so i am smarter than him'

pretty sure the guy is just a fucking idiot
>>
>>70782149

It's accurate, there's a lot of /fit/fags here now
>>
>>70780998

For real. Also when somebody spoonfeeds you a detail you overlooked instead of a thank-you your response is "yeah well if the show couldn't portray that on its own then it's the show's fault"

I oughta pinch your fucking nose with the food still in your mouth
>>
why are you stupid cunts replying to a fucking bot, mods do your job.
>>
>>70782183
You should get a tripcode Anon
>>
>>70782238
>poor
he's solid middle class though, just incredibly dumb

I guess he will always have "good" taste in movies though
>>
>>70782384

There was a scene before where the house they were in was stormed by those cultist.

Basically caught her and her son.
>>
>>70782372
It's usually the dumbest people who latch onto anything they can find to have an unjustified sense of superiority when they don't have anything else to show for it.

Taste in movies, video games, or food usually.
>>
>>70780839
I'd honestly rather have someone else explain their interpretation to me if I didn't understand it.
I think it's better than pretending to get it and it also outs someone who thinks they're smarter than you because they "got it" when they can't explain it.
>>
>>70782372
>It's unjustifiable to dislike a movie and understand it.
>Because some people whine
Utterly disagree.
>>
>>70783398
Most people's justification here for disliking a film doesn't pass for an argument against the film. It's just pleb revealing his plebbiness, basically you can read from their 'argument' that they didn't understand what they saw and dislike it because it didn't pander to them.

oh well it is /tv/ after all

muh got
muh who
>>
>>70783463
>Doesn't pass for an argument
I sense someone who assumes there are "objective" interpretations of media quality.
>>
>>70783521
If you don't understand a film, you can't critique or dislike it with a reason that is acceptable.
>>
>>70783521
>he thinks there isn't
unintentionally sloppy editing is objectively bad, for example
>>
>>70783594
>Watch A Film in Urdu
>No Subs
>You cannot comment on camerawork
An extreme example, but I don't buy your argument. You seem to imply the only opinions of Art that are valid are those of a quasi-elite, even in such cases where art was intended for mass consumption. You seem to imply that art is better dissected than felt. I can't wholly agree on that.
>>
>>70783643
You seem to assume "sloppy edits" aren't usually a matter of opinion. Unless you've access to the full film before the edits.
>>
>>70783709
You are a retard, I see. When I said to understand I didn't mean a literal understanding like the subtitles, because that'd be impossible for one because language is always limited

Such bad strawman you pulled out of the ass.
>>
>>70783780
>A Methaphor is a strawman, so I will ignore your points.
The usual level of discourse prevails.
>>
>>70783771
did you miss the word unintentional in my post?
>>
>>70783833
It changes nothing of my point.
>>
>>70783820
You took what I said on a literal level. You are a simpleton, sorry. Exact type that usually doesn't understand anything challenging he watches.
>>
>>70783919
>I will now resort to petty insults, as I dislike being challenged.
I see no point wasting energy here.
>>
>>70783855
Your point was a clear deflection designed to cloud the issue. Have a nice thread, I'm Audi 5000.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.