[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the best western film ever created?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14
File: 213412431.jpg (72 KB, 1200x686) Image search: [Google]
213412431.jpg
72 KB, 1200x686
what is the best western film ever created?
>>
>>70765734
Rio Bravo

or

High Noon
>>
>>70765734
pic related or once upon a time in the west

>>70765945
good choices, but I don't think they are top tier
>>
>>70765999
Trips confirm
>>
Blazing Saddles
>>
>>70765999
>spaghetti westerns
>best ever created
nope

its Rio Bravo or High Noon, families
>>
Django Unchained
>>
>>70766123
>90 or 120 min westerns
>best ever

pick one
>>
For A few dollars more.

Also is "Duck, You Sucker" count as a western?
>>
>>70766047

>>>/reddit/
>>
The Wild Bunch
>>
>>70765734

Unforgiven
>>
Caught the last part of Unforgiven on tv the other night. Is it worth watching the whole thing? If so ima torrent it
>>
Not golden age, but I'd go with Tombstone.
>>
The Outlaw Josie Wales
>>
>>70769666
Well the last part is kinda the best part, the whole thing is a slow build to that.
>>
>>70765734
The outlaw Josey Wales
>>
>>70765734
I like the Dollars Trilogy. Especially The Good The Bad and The Ugly. I like Spaghetti Westerns and Clint Eastwood though.

With Clint you have the Dollars Trilogy. Another good one is Two Mules for Sister Sarah. Outlaw Josey Wales. Unforgiven (has Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman).

I think 310 to Yuma isn't horrible, I actually kind of enjoyed it. I've heard good things about the The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, but I personally didn't like it. But that's a personal opinion. Some people swear by John Wayne, I don't like him though.
>>
>>70769666
It's a pretty good film, but catching the last part of it is pretty much the whole good part of the movie.
>>
if read dead repdeption was made into a movie it'd be top 3 western of all time
>>
>>70765734
I guess it depends on what you consider a western, what you consider good, and what you consider a good western. Spaghetti westerns were loathed by a lot of people who made and starred in westerns because they didn't play by the same rules and uphold the same values, which is also what made them so much more memorable despite being a much newer subgenre. Also, American westerns were like the capeshit of the day, not altogether well-written or worthy of the same respect as serious cinema, with the exception perhaps of some later films. At any rate, trying to determine the best western changes greatly depending on your metric, obviously.
>>
>>70770588
>Some people swear by John Wayne, I don't like him though.

While he won an Oscar for True Grit, it was more of a lifetime achievement award. You have to watch The Shootest, though. Arguably his greatest work, plus it had Jimmy Stewart.
>>
High Plains Drifter is Clints best western desu
>>
>>70769649
Underrated movie
>>
>>70765945
>>70765999
>>70769485
one of you is probably right, The Searchers ain't bad either
>>
>>70771234
>Top Rated Movies #114 | Won 4 Oscars. Another 36 wins & 29 nominations.
Overrated movie.
>>
>>70771234
>unforgiven
>underrated
Please. I love the movie but it is hardly underrated.
>>
Funny, I just finished watching Once Upon a Time in the West. Fucking great film. Dat soundtrack
>>
>>70765734

Probably not the best but the 3:10 to Yuma remake is my personal favorite.
>>
>>70771153
This is true, you start seeing it when you start watching Westerns. My grandfather fucking hates Spaghetti Westerns, but my dad loves them. I like them too.

My grandfather is all about John Wayne and shit like Gun Smoke.

>>70771923
3:10 to Yuma actually isn't that bad. It isn't trying to be classic Western or Spaghetti Clint Eastwood Western. It's just a good Western tale.
>>
>>70769649
Just watched it today, seriously great. It was a really good bookend to Eastwood's western character, as if the other movies were the legends about him and this was the reality. Fantastic movie.
>>
>>70769649
this right here
>>
>>70771923

3:10 to Yuma is what got me to buy a Schofield.
>>
File: 220px-Appaloosaposter08.jpg (23 KB, 220x325) Image search: [Google]
220px-Appaloosaposter08.jpg
23 KB, 220x325
I'm not sure there's a "best"

Aside from the obvious stuff, I really enjoyed Appaloosa

Maverick was pretty fun, too.
>>
File: my darling clementine 6.jpg (107 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
my darling clementine 6.jpg
107 KB, 500x375
The only correct answer is My Darling Clementine.
>>
File: maverick_poster.jpg (178 KB, 800x1066) Image search: [Google]
maverick_poster.jpg
178 KB, 800x1066
>>70772441
>>
File: my darling clementine 5.jpg (113 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
my darling clementine 5.jpg
113 KB, 500x375
The question isn't if My Darling Clementine is the greatest western of all time- obviously it is, but is it the greatest film of all time? That's tough. Obviously it's the best John Ford film, and John Ford is obviously in the top 10 best directors of all time. I think any visually literate person would put it in his top 10 best films of all time list.
>>
its tgtbtu

easily
tuco is one of the best characters in a film ever
>>
File: my darling clementine 4.jpg (111 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
my darling clementine 4.jpg
111 KB, 500x375
The scene where Doc Holliday breaks down over Hamlet's To Be Or Not To Be monologue I find to be very moving and human- it's interesting the film contrasts the human versus the mythic, showing these famous gunfighters to be so human and so vulnerable. It's a remarkable sequence.
>>
File: red_river.jpg (490 KB, 1198x1600) Image search: [Google]
red_river.jpg
490 KB, 1198x1600
>>
>>70769485
like another shocking movie for its time, midnight cowboy, it didn't age well, because what made it cultural relevant became incredibly passe, but that doesn't stop it from being a good film, however it's only well known or important not for any particularly great scenes, but just because it pushed the envelope
>>
File: my darling clementine 1.jpg (84 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
my darling clementine 1.jpg
84 KB, 500x375
>"My Darling Clementine is possibly the finest drama in the western genre, with a stunningly subjective Wyatt Earp (Henry Fonda). It achieves near-perfection cinematically in many of its passages via its blocking, shooting and editing."

-Director Michael Mann, who put it as one of his top 10 best films of all time for the BFI's Sight & Sound poll
>>
>>70765734
>fistful of dollars
>for a few dollars more
>3:10 to Yuma
>the man who shot liberty valance
>outlaw Josie Wales
>good bad and the ugly
>the shootist
>unforgiven
>>
File: my darling clementine 2.jpg (74 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
my darling clementine 2.jpg
74 KB, 500x375
Of course everyone knows Ford influences Kurosawa, and My Darling Clementine influenced Yojimbo, but the remarkable thing about the picture is that in regards to how economical and stark the directing of it is, it is more japanese than Kurosawa and in fact more Japanese than most Japanese films every made. Kurosawa was criticized for being too western in his home country, but Ford never experienced criticism for being too cold, too asian, for Hollywood. A remarkable feat.
>>
>>70769649

This one. And i don't think it can ever be surpassed.

> That's right. I've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill... for what you did to Ned
>>
File: my darling clementine 3.jpg (107 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
my darling clementine 3.jpg
107 KB, 500x375
>"A new gravity and dignity appears in Ford's Westerns after WWII."

-Critic Antti Alanen, who named Clementine one of the top 10 films of all time

http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/voter/785

Of course the picture was coloured by Ford's experiences in WWII, and Henry Fonda's, and all of America, but at the end of the day the picture is colored by not allegorical. It is specific to its own time period, unlike the purely symbolic High Noon. The fact My Darling Clementine is not allegorical, but real, specific, particular, filled to the brim with Ford's obsession and mastery over the tiny tiny details of human emotion and subtle social behaviour, makes it universal. That's another reason I find it to be so moving.
>>
File: 3820.jpg (252 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
3820.jpg
252 KB, 960x720
>"My Darling Clementine is the most classic of the Hollywood classics, John Ford at his best, in a film that discusses how democracy emerges from a state of wilderness. Rich and complex, it’s a film that Shakespeare would have loved. Is there such a thing as leftist Western? Yes, there is"

-Critic Jurica Pavicic, who named Clementine one of the top 10 movies of all time. I would argue the film is most certainly not leftist, but is in fact an apolitical universal statement on the struggle inside all men, and therefore all societies, between his wild animal nature and his civilized social nature- the West is tamed.

Note Wyatt Earp's embarassment at being given perfume, the fact he needs to get a shave more than anything, his shyness with Clementine, the fact he doesn't kiss her, but shakes her hand awkwardly at the end before riding off into the sunset.

Wyatt Earp's touching stiffness and awkwardness during the church dance, the all-too relate-able self-consciousness. This is Wyatt Earp as man, not cartoon character.

This composition- the way characters are framed by their buildings and surroundings in Ford's masterfully controlled style.
>>
File: 4717 (1).jpg (94 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
4717 (1).jpg
94 KB, 700x525
His Doc Holliday could be one of the most complex characters ever created for that despised and maligned genre known as "The Western." Note the remarkable and stunning symbolism of Doc Holliday washing his hands in liquor to disinfect his hands before performing surgery on the woman he loves. Only Ford could have put something this daring in a picture like this.
>>
File: alxjones.png (91 KB, 237x252) Image search: [Google]
alxjones.png
91 KB, 237x252
the good the bad and the ugly

is this even a question?
>>
File: brennan.jpg (124 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
brennan.jpg
124 KB, 700x525
Of course, at the end of the day in addition to being a universal and remarkable human drama, My Darling Clementine is a genre picture- a western is the strictest of genres, with certain codes and conventions it must adhere to, and the way it fulfils them goes beyond adherence to celebration. At the end of the day My Darling Clementine GIVES YOU THE GOODS as a western picture, it gives a child everything he wants in a western as well as an adult, and its plot is thrilling and dramatic. Of particular note is one of the most spectacular shootouts in the history of motion picture, an incredibly intricate gun fight that is packed with action and excitement.

You can see how it influence the shootouts and gun fights in Michael Mann, Sam Peckinpah, and John Woo's films. John Ford knew the real Wyatt Earp, who told him the real story of how the Gunfight At The OK Corall happened- telling him it wasn't a random shootout, but a carefully planned military-type operation, with strategy. That's what makes the shootout real, and exciting, and unusual, and innovative.

A masterpiece! A perfect western!
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.