[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was fucking awful. Why are so many formerly-great directors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: maps-to-the-stars.31839.jpg (584 KB, 1386x2048) Image search: [Google]
maps-to-the-stars.31839.jpg
584 KB, 1386x2048
This was fucking awful.

Why are so many formerly-great directors in the same death spiral?
>>
>>70764197
I hated that too but I loved Cosmopolis, aside from the "currency is the rat" scene.
>>
This was a masterpiece. I know you think Cronenberg has lost it but what actually happened was he outgrew you. He has been putting out the best work of his career in the last decade.
>>
>>70764286

kek

The fire effects were straight out of a Sy-Fy original.
>>
>>70764286

Nope.

I really like some of Cronenberg's recent movies but Maps to the Stars is one of his worst ever.
>>
>>70764351

BUT DON'T YOU SEE, THAT WAS ALL INTENTIONAL. IT'S ALL PART OF CRONENBERG'S BRILLIANT SATIRE. THE MOVIE FEELS SO DATED AND SUPERFICIAL AND HOLLOW BECAUSE IT IS ALL PART OF THE SATIRE. SUCH GENIUS. SUCH FILM.
>>
>>70764457

I know you're being sarcastic, but the "it's bad on purpose!!!" defense is infuriating.
>>
File: z.webm (3 MB, 600x323) Image search: [Google]
z.webm
3 MB, 600x323
Stick to game of thrones and garbage movies like mad max fury road kid
this was pure direct cinema
>>
Fuck off, this movie was a solid 8/10.

Heavily enjoyed this and its message about Hollywood and the people who make it
>>
>>70764514
It's valid in this case
>what is a brechtian alienation device
>>
>>70764522

GoT and MM:FR are garbage, yes.

Doesn't mean this isn't.
>>
>>70764522

Fury Road is so much better than Maps of Stars though mate.

Being an apologist for a filmmaker is not evidence of being a patrician. Some of the movies Cronenberg has made this century are among his best (History of Violence, Spider, Cosmopolis) but Maps is definitely not one of them. It's a totally unnecessary piece of shit.
>>
>>70764591

Maps is one of the instances in which Cronenberg's insistence upon the cerebral gets in the way of him making a movie that is interesting in even the slightest regard.

I don't get why people can't admit that some movies their fave directors like aren't good. Cronenberg is one of my favourite directors but I'm not deluded enough to think that everything he has ever made or will ever make (if he makes anything else) is gold.
>>
>>70764635
Maps is the best of them all, it's all the most sophisticated least accessible of them all. It sends the cowards, frauds and snivelers running.
>>
>>70764689

you sound like someone who likely has a lot of friends and spends a lot of time having interesting discussions with them
>>
I loved it. What problems do people have with it?
>>
>>70764576
I liked it but I thought the Hollywood satire angle was one of the weaker aspects (and, fortunately, a pretty small part of what it was doing).
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.