[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This movie was pretty good even if the Pete/Alice part was a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: title_lost_highway_blu-ray.jpg (19 KB, 800x327) Image search: [Google]
title_lost_highway_blu-ray.jpg
19 KB, 800x327
This movie was pretty good even if the Pete/Alice part was a bit too long.
What do you think of it, /tv/?
>>
>>70763808
I saw it twice when it came out and thought it was the best Lynch since Eraserhead. Good OST, too.
>>
>>70763808

9.5/10

one of my top 20 of all time

and no Criterion Collection edition -- it figures
>>
It's pretty good, I'm a fan of Lynch's ability to create a fever-dream atmosphere in his films. This might be the most fever-dream like of all his work.
>>
>>70763808
my favorite Lynch movie
god tier
I like how edgy it is, it's pretty much dark and edgy done right
I'm not sure why Mulholland Drive is rated higher
>>
The greatest film Lynch ever made. The one that sorts the true cinema devotees from the juvenile, the snivelers, the hacks, the shills. This is a bullet into the heart of the fraudulent modern cinematic landscape.

Anybody who doesn't adore this masterpiece is a fucking brain dead retard the the world would be a better place if they were dead.
>>
pic related was way spookier than the Mulholland Dr. diner scene
>>
My favourite films from Lynch, ranked:

The Elephant Man > Eraserhead > Lost Highway > Blue Velvet > Mulholland Drive
>>
File: mystery_man-1024x431.jpg (29 KB, 1024x431) Image search: [Google]
mystery_man-1024x431.jpg
29 KB, 1024x431
>>70764097
oh shit
>>
>>70764152
Nooo, not at all man. Do you really think so? The Mulholland one is really jarring, I hate that damn scene.

Also Patricia Arquette is smoking hot in this movie.
>>
>>70764152
I agree, the sound design is top tier spook-kino.
>>
>>70764152
honestly this
it's terrifying as fuck
>dude recounts his nightmare
>back in the comfort of his bed
>goes to wife
>this appears

https://youtu.be/rMMX8dkbXEU?t=80

spooky as fuck
>>
That jumpscare cut to the gore shot where he hacked her up got me hard the first time around (one when he watches the VHS for the first time and the other one when he's lying in his cell staring at the ceiling lamp and then suddenly the face pops out of nowhere)

Also am i the only one who noticed that the highway footage looks like it was reused from that joyride scene in blue velvet
>>
"Guys gets more pussy than a toilet seat"

only quote I can remember
>>
>>70764345
The only problem with this scene is the superimposed face is pretty shitty and cheap looking.

The scene with the mystery man at the party is better.
>>
>>70763808
FUNNY HOW SECRETS TRAVEL
>>
File: CjPSzO5VAAAk37R.jpg (50 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CjPSzO5VAAAk37R.jpg
50 KB, 600x600
>>70763808

My second favorite after Eraserhead. It was the last film where he mentally inserted what he was feeling at the time and it will never happen again.
>>
"Dude I'm at your house right now"
"Fuck off, really?"
"Call me dude"
"Dude wtf lol"
"Ayyyyyyyy, now give me back my phone family"

10/10
>>
>>70764425
I don't know, I think it's part of the charm
you expect from creepy shit to happen, and when it does, it's both creepy and has a WTF factor
>>
so what was the explanation for the movie?
I kept waiting for it to make sense but it made less and less sense as the movie progressed
>>
File: here-he-come.jpg (152 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
here-he-come.jpg
152 KB, 1920x1080
>Ywn watch a lynchian primokino together with carl gustav jung and speculate on the hidden meaning of all the archetypes being displayed and how they relate to the collective unconscious of humanity

Fml
>>
>>70764766
David Lynch's films are generally not literal representations of reality.
>>
>>70764766
He murdered his wife because he thought she was cheating and then made up shit in his head.

There's no actual explanation, just theories.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

this scene is one of the most effective horror sequences ever made. it sums up everything lynch was working towards up to this movie in under 4 minutes and also showcases his complete understanding of the unknown, the subconscious, and the unsettling. everything comes together perfectly. holy fuck. this scene is so fucking good. jesus fucking christ
>>
>>70763888
>This might be the most fever-dream like of all his work
That's Inland Empire, though
>>
>>70764425
>the superimposed face is pretty shitty and cheap looking
That's the whole point
>>70764766
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugue_state
>>
>>70763808
I love it, even though I think Mulholland Drive is basically the same story, done better.
>>
>>70764892

is there anything i should know going into inland empire? it's the last lynch i haven't seen.
>>
>>70765091
It's basically a 3 hour long nightmare, practically unpalatable unless you've watched and enjoyed all of Lynch's work.
You're ready to go.
>>
>>70765084
If by "done better" you mean "Plebbed up for the capeshit crowd"
>>
>>70765350
How is MD "plebbed up" exactly?
>>
>>70765393

it's a streamlined and more easily digestible version of lost highway.
>>
>>70764766

first half real, kills wife out of jealousy. second half dream where he lives life as a super cool teen all the chicks want. then hes barbecued.
>>
>>70765434
So, following your interpretation, the Mystery Man is real?
>>
>>70765565

the mystery man is the personification of evil.
>>
>>70765606
then who personificates the parsonification of evil?
>>
>>70764766
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip

And this:
>>70765015
>>
>>70765650

could be anyone really. could just be projecting onto a random dude he was talking to in a delusional state.
>>
>>70765606
Wrong, he's quite literally the personification of jealousy.
>>
>>70765764

jealousy leads to hate
hate leads to anger
anger leads to suffering
>>
File: oA4dnXBL.jpg (39 KB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
oA4dnXBL.jpg
39 KB, 816x816
>>70765800
>>
>>70764766
Impotence
>>
>>70765015
>mobile site
>>
Ramnstein is kitsch
>>
File: losthighway1[1].jpg (20 KB, 595x325) Image search: [Google]
losthighway1[1].jpg
20 KB, 595x325
had no clue what was going on
who was that guy following him around? (pic related)

0/10 film for me lads
>>
>>70767214

yeah, it was too serious too. maybe throw in some quips to lighten the mood.
>>
>>70765434

The first part is not real either. The only "real" part is very short and that's when he finds himself in jail.

First part "real":

-mystery man
-video tape of him murdering his own wife
-ugly face appearing over his wife's face
-bell door rings and he hears himself mumbling "blabla is dead" through the speaker
-the extremely awkward conversations he and has wife are having
-the dark labyrinth like house which of course symbolizes his mind

No, nothing real about it. You need to pay more attention.
>>
>>70768346
I think that in Lynch's work the borders between real life, dreams, hallucinations and other realms of existence are rather vague, and that they often overlap.
>>
My second favorite Lynch film after Fire Walk With Me. Mulholland Drive is pretty shitty.

Also, actually liking Eraserhead is one thing, but saying that it's Lynch's best and/or better than Lost Highway...holy fuck. You are trying way too hard. Nobody believes you liked it, we all know you're just trying the seem smart. God damn, it's horrifying the lengths you people will go just to seem different.
>>
The mystery man represents all his bad feelings, the first part isn't real
That's why when he calls the mystery man is in his house and says that he invited him in
We invite those bad feelings in
fucking plebs
>>
>>70769098

>Mulholland Drive is pretty shitty

Pure pleb opinion. It's one of the masterpieces of this century. It gets better every time I watch it. That club Silencio scene is my favorite scene in cinema of all time. Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive are all fucking brilliant films.
>>
>>70769874

Dang, forgot Inland Empire. Lynch's second best film after MD.
>>
>>70769874
>>70769098
I don't think Mulholland Drive is shit, I definitely liked it but I am not sure where to put it on my tier list. I pretty much love everything Lynch, the only film I wasn't a huge fan of was Elephant Man. Haven't seen Lost Highway or Inland yet. I do feel like Mulholland is a bit more accessible than, say, Eraserhead so I just think its over hyped for that reason. I did not think it was too hard to follow, as opposed to Eraserhead where I had to think a bit
>>
https://youtu.be/rfwdAoa_nno

Film analysis.
>>
>>70773476
Thanks for this bud, gonna have to check these out in the future. I really enjoyed YMS picking apart Synecdoche, NY (hope he finishes the series) so I imagine I will enjoy this as well
>>
I always think this is how OJ Simpson felt after the murders.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.