[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have they announced plans for a 4K release of the original trilogy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
Have they announced plans for a 4K release of the original trilogy? (reminder that the prequels must be upscaled because they were shot on 1080p digital cameras)
>>
>>70759279

Disney dont own Star Wars IV - Fox do.
so releasing the original trilogy is a bit messy.
>>
Not yet. I've heard there's issues with the original trilogy because Fox still has the rights to the first (or all?) of the original trilogy.or maybe Lucas still has exclusive rights to New Hope. I can't remember

Also there's some unconfirmed rumors that when Lucas made the special editon in the 90s, thaT he actually permanently altered the original negative. I highly doubt that though because they probably just scanned it and made all the alterations digitally. Also, when you work with film, you try to avoid working with the negative as much as possible so you don't damage it
>>
>>70759279

>falling for the 4k meme

they didnt even have 4k in the 1970s, dumbass.
>>
>>70759485
35mm film can be scanned at 8K.
>>
>the prequels must be upscaled because they were shot on 1080p digital cameras
episode 1 was shot on film.
>>
>>70759485
analog... has infinite zoom/scale/resolution
>>
>>70761057

100k When?
>>
>>70759279
All prequels used HD digital cameras.

Ep 1 used a prototype Sony CineAlta
Ep 2 used Sony HDW-F900s
Ep 3 on Sony HDC-F950s

all were shot at 1080p
>>
>>70761057
yeah that where the csi enhance meme comes from. back when security cameras used film they actually used to be able to do that.
>>
>>70761117
oops. was meant for >>70761021
>>
>>70761142
... No. Theres no such thing as infinite resolution. Film has a maximum limit of detail which differs depending on the stock. You can scan 35mm film down to the molecular level, it still won't mean it has more detail than 8K RAW.
>>
>>70761149
according to wikipedia it was shot on 35mm and only "Some scenes, mostly of elements filmed by the special effects team" were shot digitally.
>>
File: Naboo_celebration.jpg (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Naboo_celebration.jpg
2 MB, 1920x816
>>70761312
yeah 99% of it was film. Just sayin it used digital HD cameras too. Only two scenes, really.
>>
>>70761176
lol you have no idea what you're talking about. my dad used to sell security cameras back when they used film so i know about this stuff.
>>
>>70761464
I bet your uncle works at Nintendo too.

There is no such thing as infinite resolution and resolution itself isn't a synonym for detail. your dad's probably a fag too.
>>
>>70761464
t. someone whose dad works at nintendo
>>
>>70759436
Fox owns the physical distribution rights to the six main Star Wars movies until 2020. From then all of the movies' distribution rights will return to Disney except for IV, which Fox owns forever.

I'm sure Disney will buy it back though. They bought the distribution rights to the first two Iron Man films from Paramount.

For reference, Disney has the digital distribution rights to all six movies. 4K for IV-VI and I may be available on a digital streaming platform such as Netflix.
>>
>>70759279
reminder the prequels never happened
>>
40th Anniversary is next year. It'll happen by then.
>>
>>70761521
>>70761524
he wouldn't have had any dealings with nintendo because by that time the japanese market had already switched over to digital, one to reduce costs and two because the extra resolution wasn't really needed because most interiors there are so cramped that the suspect's face would usually be close enough to the camera.
>>
>>70761690
*tips rlm subscription*
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.