[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? DOFP was pretty entertaining for capeshit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 656x493) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 656x493
What went wrong?

DOFP was pretty entertaining for capeshit. This was just a mess. Where can they go from here? Deadpool and friends?
>>
Bring back Matthew Vaughn
>>
>>70758596
I enjoyed this a lot more than DOFP to be honest. It was nice to see Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Jean Grey together. It felt like a superhero 1980s John Hughes film.
>>
>>70758596
Nothing. It's the best one since X2 and it's one of the few decent superhero films from the past five years.
>>70758649
His direction was pretty spotty in First Class.
>>
>>70758720
>>70758596
This movie's plot was a mess.
>oh hey look quicksilver showed up just in time through total coincidence
>oh hey look striker captured us for 20 minutes so we can meet wolverine
>oh hey look a plastic plane
>oh hey look magneto switched sides again again
>oh hey look the phoenix is controllable now

Unless they go even bigger than Apocalypse, what kind of problem will even be able to phase an X-Men team with Storm/Phoenix/Quicksilver?

And then there's all the timeline shit going on, did they fight Apocalypse before the original trilogy? They didn't because Jean is giving a presentation on the existence of mutants in the original first movie. So then how does Charles go bald in the original timeline? How did Storm get her power boost in the original timeline? Didn't Mystique try to save Wolverine at the end of DofP? How did the timeline change that resulted in a better world for mutants have the rich business man's son Angel in a German fighting ring? How come these fuckers don't age?

And those are just the issues with the movie itself and not all the autistic /co/ issues I have with it.
>>
>>70759132
>bunch of non-criticisms
You must be a fun guy.
>>
File: pepe5.png (136 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
pepe5.png
136 KB, 306x306
>it's a Magneto murders countless innocents in a fit of a rage because muh dead family and gets away unpunished in the end because he and Charles are gay for each other episode
>>
>>70759190
>it's not criticism to point out plot conveniences and shitty writing
>lol u must b fun @parties
>one non-response
For (you).
>>
File: 1296257034264.jpg (52 KB, 449x449) Image search: [Google]
1296257034264.jpg
52 KB, 449x449
I thought it was great.
>no time travel bullshit
>apocalypse was actually god level
>good reintroduction of classic characters
>wolverine cameo
>based Magneto becoming OP as fuck
>return of qt CIA chick from first class
>80's soundtrack and fashion
>>
>>70759266
It's a superhero movie. Ridiculous stuff happens. Get over it.
>>
>>70759351
>it's "genre" so it's allowed to be shit
I'm not talking about things being unrealistic or ridiculous, I'm talking about bad writing.

Inconsistencies are mistakes and are lazy writing, having Quicksilver just show up at the perfect so you can have an action scene and most of the mast cast doesn't die is lazy.
>>
>>70759425
>Inconsistencies are mistakes and are lazy writing, having Quicksilver just show up at the perfect so you can have an action scene and most of the mast cast doesn't die is lazy.
Or it's a chance to give Quicksilver a cool scene, mr autismo.
>>
Wolverine running into the snow was shot like a comedy film. It looked like something out of a shitty parody movie. When the scene was described to me I thought in my head it would be like some of the classic Weapon X art/imagery but it kinda just happened and was unintentionally funny. I would need to watch it again to articulate this better.
>>
File: 1434046204673.jpg (43 KB, 681x496) Image search: [Google]
1434046204673.jpg
43 KB, 681x496
>>70758596
The movie is pretty meaningless given that everything is shown to work out at the end of DoFP, yet it tries to give some sort of tension that the world is gonna end or something and it's ridiculous.

I tried looking for articles of this having production troubles because I can't imagine the guy who made The Usual Suspects, or hell, X2, could shit out something so cheap-looking and poorly written. Came up dry, so they must've been pretty satisfied with how lifeless it was.
>>
>>70759531
The whole set for the Canadian compound was cheap as hell. Still, didn't bother me.
>>
>>70759531
If you like the Weapon X stuff, I'd recommend playing X2: Wolverine's Revenge for PS2.
>>
>>70759657
>If you like the Weapon X stuff, I'd recommend playing X2: Wolverine's Revenge for PS2.

Ignore that, play X-Men Origins Wolverine the game, preferably for PC, only one game let's you shove guys heads in rotor blades and it ain't his.
>>
>>70759507
I think you might be the autistic one. It's not like the only two choices are "cool action scene" or "well written story." You're framing it like that because you want to disagree with me, not because that's a fact of movie making.

You can have the cool scene and write it into the story better. It's the same issue DofP's Quicksilver had. Have him show up for the special effects scene out of no where and then just sideline him for the rest of the movie.
>>
>>70759657
>>70759686
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkqIRRc7mNU
How do they make games better than their movies?
>>
>>70759732
Gotta love how footage from the game is almost up to par with the CG that made it into the movie
>>
>>70759710
>Have him show up for the special effects scene out of no where
Which no one complained about.
>and then just sideline him for the rest of the movie.
Which doesn't happen in Apocalypse.
>>
>>70759686
>>70759732
I gotta replay that game. It was pretty good.
>>
>>70759732
>need to take out a sentinel
>no pitcher for the fastball special
>well I'll just ride it into the sky, destroy it's propulsion, and skydive into it's face
This schlock is great.
>>
>>70758720
This.

>>70759232
This too, though. How long will they keep forgiving him?
>>
File: 20160506_141545.jpg (778 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160506_141545.jpg
778 KB, 2048x1152
WHAT
>>
Not enough qt jubilee.
>>
File: heeeeeeee.jpg (16 KB, 261x284) Image search: [Google]
heeeeeeee.jpg
16 KB, 261x284
I like all of the X Men movies. ALL OF THEM.

What makes the X Men movies great is simple: you see at least one new superpower in every single one, and the sequence that power is fully demonstrated with is usually spectacular and and visually entrancing. They are excellent Capeshit/Comic Book/Super Hero or Super POWER movies.

They're inconsistent, at times mind-blowingly boring, but at this point there are fucking Eight movies across this twisted, honestly comic timeline. It's honestly like a comic book. Even if the allegory is a shitbox for civil rights through the ages to be projected onto. Even if J-Law is a mediocre actress. Even if Hugh Jackman objectively steals the show out from under every other actor.

They managed to make a scene with Beast interesting. Beast doesn't even have powers or a personality. He's a fucking shy gorilla but there he is, on the poster.

X men rules. FUCK YOU
>>
>>70759820
>Which no one complained about.
People complained about it, and whether people complain or not doesn't make something good or bad you social constructionist shitter.

>Which doesn't happen in Apocalypse.
Oh yeah, he helps Mystique talk to Magneto and does nothing else except get his leg broken. Nightcrawler could take the place of Quicksilver in the final act and nothing would change.

But you just keep going post by post, nitpicking anything I say without really making any arguments on your own or articulating your own ideas. "No, I disagree. No, no one cares. No, that's allowed in this genre." How about some actual support for your ideas?

My stance is simple, AoA isn't written that well. It's a 6/10 movie with pretty boring action and a plot that reeks of "we have a list of scenes but don't know how to connect them". Then you have outright groaner moments like Beast almost saying he colored Cerebro blue because of his Mystique-boner, "Wreak havoc," and any of Mystique's speeches. The scenes don't lead into each other in a fluid way at all and shit like Wolverine just comes out of nowhere. Good thing the fusebox/generator was in Wolverine's room right? Oh but also they decide to free Wolverine instead of messing with the generator at all and just shoot the door open to the other X-Men.
>>
>>70759132
You described every X-Men movie.
>>
>>70760460
Not the good ones.
>>
>>70759132
who fucking cares lad.
>>
>>70760870
go back to your hugbox
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 395x416) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 395x416
>>70760897
>Reddit boogeyman shitposting
>>
Matthew Vaughn didn't write this with his titcow partner
>>
File: michael ass bender0.png (302 KB, 500x411) Image search: [Google]
michael ass bender0.png
302 KB, 500x411
>>70759078
This movie was almost on par with X-3. I know it's the past but my nostalgia over the original cast keeps kicking me in the head. I don't like these actors, save for quicksilver and based Fassbender dude
>pic related
>>
File: 1465398629996.gif (981 KB, 342x239) Image search: [Google]
1465398629996.gif
981 KB, 342x239
>>70759132
Fear the Hairstylic powers of Apocalypse
>I think you'd look better bald. And you how about white dye
>>
>>70760928
>implying I brought up reddit or a boogeyman
If you want to talk about a movie where all criticisms are glossed over with "lol who cares?" then you want a hugbox/circlejerk. But instead of any kind of response to that, anon just asserts my posts belong to whatever category of posts people don't have to respond to. It's lazier than the writing in this movie.
>>
File: the power.gif (33 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
the power.gif
33 KB, 800x450
>>70759870
>Punished Magneto
His power is volatile, yet a great power that can be used. Kinda like a nuke. The nuke caused Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Yet superpowers still cling to them. I know i'm wrong but the gay love is there. That and the X-men are soposed to be better then that. Helping Mutant and man alike, regardless of past transgressions
>>
>>70761345
never reply to me ever again.
>>
>>70758596
Deapool, Cable, Wolverine and Quickmemer.
>>
>>70759132
>And then there's all the timeline shit going on, did they fight Apocalypse before the original trilogy?

No. Apocalypse stayed buried because Moira didn't pull the carpet from the hole because reasons.The Clan Akkaba prayed in vain and never woke him in the old timeline. There probably never was a modern Clan Akkaba because they didn't know about mutants until the 2000s then.

>They didn't because Jean is giving a presentation on the existence of mutants in the original first movie.

Yep, because Mystique successfully assassinated Bolivar Trask in Timeline-A and there was no discovery of mutants in 1973.

>So then how does Charles go bald in the original timeline?

Just his genes kicking in? The process is due to stress in Apoc but might've just happened naturally in Timeline-A

>How did Storm get her power boost in the original timeline?

She didn't. Her hair just turned white later in life and Apoc!Storm just reaches her potential earlier, maybe reaching beyond it.

>Didn't Mystique try to save Wolverine at the end of DofP?

Yes, but she probably failed and Stryker nabbed him later down the line. He's had 10 years after all. (This bothers me too, though)

>How did the timeline change that resulted in a better world for mutants have the rich business man's son Angel in a German fighting ring?

Mutants have their cover blown 30 years early. Public antipathy has probably risen and thus the fighting rings were established in some countries. Now someone only needed to nab Angel. Maybe his father even sold him. He was strictly anti-mutant in X3, after all. Also, ripples in time from Kitty's timefuckery means that the timeline is jumbled up and some mutants are born earlier than in the old timeline.

>How come these fuckers don't age?

Comic Book Time finally kicking in. These fuckers look more or less the same since 1963 in comics. The old team should also have been far older than they looked in the bad future.
>>
>>70759531
Yeah, it looked like Scott Evil prancing off in Austin Powers 3. I hope they use the bit "I'd liek to remark that no-one else runs like a girl in my family" in the inevitable Cinemasins video.
>>
Singer's arrogance
Kinberg's incompetence
>>
File: smallstones.jpg (39 KB, 400x295) Image search: [Google]
smallstones.jpg
39 KB, 400x295
NO MORE STONES
>>
NO MORE SPEARS
>>
File: Oscar_Isaac.jpg (131 KB, 634x856) Image search: [Google]
Oscar_Isaac.jpg
131 KB, 634x856
>>70759132
forgot about fucking plot, it's the sloppy writing, boring action sequences, phoned in performances, and terrible make-up that are the problems with this

what a fucking waste of Oscar
>>
File: Screenshot (184).png (391 KB, 1357x723) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (184).png
391 KB, 1357x723
>You're gonna need a Bigger Mommas House 3: Like Father, Like Son
>>
>>70761978
>Just his genes kicking in?
He was bald when he met Jean in the original timeline, in the 80s.

But also I want to address several of these with one response.
>Just his genes kicking in? The process is due to stress in Apoc but might've just happened naturally in Timeline-A
>Just his genes kicking in? The process is due to stress in Apoc but might've just happened naturally in Timeline-A
>She didn't. Her hair just turned white later in life and Apoc!Storm just reaches her potential earlier, maybe reaching beyond it.
>Yes, but she probably failed and Stryker nabbed him later down the line. He's had 10 years after all.
These 3 things you 'answered' with 'lol it happened anyway, probably maybe' and why even bother typing out those kinds of answers?

>Mutants have their cover blown 30 years early.
But Angel wouldn't be found out any earlier, he got caught at puberty in the original timeline so his dad knew immediately. What'd be different is his dad would have grown up in a time where a mutant saved the President's life and school children are indoctrinated early that at least some mutants can be heroes. It doesn't make sense for Angel's situation to be worse in the new timeline.

>Also, ripples in time from Kitty's timefuckery means that the timeline is jumbled up and some mutants are born earlier than in the old timeline.
That's just completely headcanon nonsense you're making up to make this all 'work.'

>Comic Book Time finally kicking in. These fuckers look more or less the same since 1963 in comics.
No, it's shit writing. Some comic book stuff needs a pass, like powers and costumes, but if you're going to apply the comic book sliding time scale to movies then you have to acknowledge it's being applied for the same reasons as to comics and NOT as an effort to be more like the source material: money. Also these X-Men movies keep moving forward in time because their period piece aesthetics have been a big part of how they get people to see these movies.
>>
>>70758596
DOFP was shit, one of the worst X-Men movies.
>>
>>70762443
>No, it's shit writing. Some comic book stuff needs a pass, like powers and costumes, but if you're going to apply the comic book sliding time scale to movies then you have to acknowledge it's being applied for the same reasons as to comics and NOT as an effort to be more like the source material: money. Also these X-Men movies keep moving forward in time because their period piece aesthetics have been a big part of how they get people to see these movies.

It's explained in First Class, mutants don't age normally.
>>
>>70758596
It was really fucking good though. Better than DOFP.
>>
I thought Bluepocalypse was going to be kind of shit but he was unironically creepy as fuck in the best way possible.
>>
I really liked the depiction of Angel as this jaded, 80's punk rock type
>>
X2 > First Class > X1 > AoA > DoFP > X3

Objectively speaking.
>>
The movie should have used Psylocke more.
>>
>>70762390
Speaking of bigger, why the hell was he so small? I loved the subconscious part where he was fighting Xavier because he finally looked more imposing as he kept growing.
>>
File: 1448498705938.jpg (22 KB, 480x311) Image search: [Google]
1448498705938.jpg
22 KB, 480x311
>>70758596
>only the strong will survive
>the all powerful villian apocalypse dies
>>
This film is literally "too many characters the movie", holy shit it's Spiderman 3 all over again.

It feels like the second movie never happened, Magneto being the best example of this, a wife and a kid? living between normal people? also, assbender could have saved his family the moment he accepted to be Magneto, shit, just use your ring ot your necklace and cut their fucking hands before they do anything, or did he really wanted to go to jail?

Apocalypse felt like a joke sometimes, and the best scenes (quicksilver) went for too fucking long, the wolverine cameo was awful and the final battle was kinda lame.
>>
>>70763474
>DOFP below apocalypse

Is this a meme?
>>
>>70758720
This disgusting emo hair, Jesus Christ, what were they thinking? It wasn't even a thing back then.
>>
>>70767899
Something something singer pedophile
>>
>>70763474
DoFP is a hundred times better than thsi First Class shit which is just cringe-worthy as fuck. And of course also better than this AoA shit.

Are you high?

Why do people liek First Class? This awful training "montage" alone is so retarded. "Hey, let's teach our mutants how to use their powers by talking to them for one minute and letting them use their powers once in our super secret rooms with funny music."
>>
Holy fuck this movie was such trash. Honestly a struggle to get through.

I let a lot of corny shit slide but I could not stop laughing when Magneto's wife and daughter get accidentally'd by a single arrow. The fact that they gave us 10 minutes of his comfy life in Poland to try to force an emotional impact from that cringe as fuck scene felt like a huge slap in the face, too.
>>
Just make the TV series already.

No Wolverine, no Mystique. New Magneto and Xavier unless McKellen and Stewart are willing to do it. Just give us some young, primarily newly cast, X-Men

Beast before he had fur, Cyclops, Jean, Ice Man, Angel, maybe Storm. Can add kids as they go along
>>
>>70768351
>No Mystique
She's actually a fun character when portrayed by someone who will remain blue and switch into other people. Since Jackman is almost done with Wolverine films they could potentially recast him, but then they risk becoming the Wolverine show.
>>
>>70768351
They just need to give Disney the rights, there's a lot of cool shit they can only do with other MU characters.
>>
>>70759732
this is LITERALLY god of war but with wolverine and a different setting. its LITERALLY GOD OF WAR. HOW FUCCING TRAGIC
>>
>>70759132
I think you need to realize that this is a superhero franchise. That shouldn't be an excuse but it does explain why the plot doesn't really make snese, but come on, these new X films are basically just meant to be their own separate thing. Even though Days of Future Past very clearly tried to connect the two timelines.
Yeah, it's fucked up.
But if they DID keep it super accurate, I don't think that'd be very fun. I thought this film was fun because it did its own thing and changed some things for the better and re-imagined things in more interesting ways.
>>
>>70768351
>X-Men tv series

It will just end being shipping nonsense

They're kids in a school, remember?
>>
>>70768120

But is he actually?
>>
The pacing was all over, and it felt like two movies put together.

Some parts felt absolutely solid like DoFP (like the based as fuck intro with being in Egypt, the Poland scenes, etc) and other parts seemed like absolutely the worst bits of First Class and shit acting (Psylocke, anything with JLaw in human form, the Wolverine bit, etc).

Like another anon said in this thread, someone came up with a lot of "cool scene" ideas, but had no fucking idea how to connect them together, and I bet the "connecting" scenes are probably all the dogshit ones I mentioned that just seemed off, in tone, in production, and in CGI.

Like, fuck, that intro alone was honestly better than DoFP's dysmal future timeline, I was hyped as fuck after that, but the movie just didn't deliver except for most of Apocalypse's scenes (ofc this is Oscar's acting performance just oozing out rather than the writing or production itself).
>>
>set up scene where Charles gets to mentally fuck up Apocalypse
>is reduced to a bloody pulp and has to ask Jean for help
Why did they make the Professor so weak? Isn't he the most powerful mind in the world?
>>
>>70773619
I wish Charles at least put up a better fight. I don't mind Jean coming in to help him but don't make him so fucking weak, this is Charles we're talking about.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.