[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Warcraft needs 500m globally to break even No problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
File: 2016.png (79 KB, 254x462) Image search: [Google]
2016.png
79 KB, 254x462
>Warcraft needs 500m globally to break even
No problem
>>
it just had a 60% drop from friday to satuday in china. After a 43% drop from thursday to friday.

its over.
>>
>>70753716
BVS had quite the drop off and still made money over time
>>
>>70753777
BvS had a very strong opening night, so 50-60% dropoffs didn't mean as much.

Warcraft had a middling at best opening IN CHINA and completely bombed in the US.
>>
>>70753858
>middling at best opening IN CHINA

150 mil in 3 days on a tuesday opening is literally the best opening ever in China. Thats not "middling"
>>
>>70753899
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/opening/

There's also, at least, 20 other movies with a better opening night than warcraft.
>>
>>70753442
No way in hell is this POS making another $200m anytime soon.
It's over, anon. No one likes your retarded gaymen movies.
>>
>>70753899
its at 146 million from china in 4 days, not three. With the last two days having huge dropoffs.
>>
>>70753442

The studio has to pay to show the movie in China.
>>
>>70753442
>Warcraft needs 500m globally to break even
Any citation for that? I'm seeing $160mil production budget, which has maybe another $100 mil in there for marketing.
>>
>>70754275
Now factor the maximum legendary will get from the box office gross is 55%.
>>
>>70754218
Not legendary. They're owned by china.
>>
>>70754351
Still feel like any citation for any of this would be nice.
>>
>>70754389
>I need a citation for the fact the theater takes at least 45% of the ticket price

... you want a citation for the number of fingers on the human hand next?
>>
>>70754380

Well they still effectively have to pay once all of the "Falcon Inspectors" skim the profits.
>>
>>70754423
why the fuck would it list the profit the theatre made

you think the box office factors in the profit of the cinema? What sort of retard are you?
>>
This movie was absolute shit. Definitely one of the worst i have seen in the last few years. The CGI is videogame tier and all the actors are absolute shit with zero emotional range. Especially that dude playing Lothar. He seems like he is constantly on cocaine and is an absolute unlikeable, arrogant asshole.
I mean his fucking son gets executed before his eyes and his dead body is thrown in front of his feet and you don't see the slightest bit of emotion on his face.
This movie has nothing to do with Warcraft. They just got the names and that's it. It feels nothing like Warcraft.
>>
>>70754469
you're not funny
>>
>>70754476
Okay, the citation you're looking for is the definition of GROSS REVENUE
>>
>>70754480

Not my fault you don't understand Hollywood accounting.
>>
File: botmon.png (94 KB, 266x615) Image search: [Google]
botmon.png
94 KB, 266x615
This movie is gonna fail like Batman Begins

wait what
>>
>>70754478
nah, ur trying to hard
>>
>>70754536
too*
>>
>>70754536
trying what to hard?
stating my opinon?
>>
>>70754521

Films beginning with B get 83.7% of box office revenue.
>>
>>70753442
The movie is somehow getting saved from disaster by China but holy fuck it's bad.
>>
>>70754423
Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying.
Are you saying that box office gross takes into account the full cost of each ticket? That's fair enough, but it's a consistent metric across all films released in theatres.

The standard rule of thumb for whether a film is successful is simply to double its production budget. This usually allows for the marketing budget as well as exhibitor costs, with some gravy on the side.

According to boxofficemojo (which might be wrong, I wouldn't know for sure) the distributor receives the majority of the gross for the first several weeks of release (while the gravy train is running), and then the exhibitor gets the larger share later on in the film's run.

So "breaking even" is going to be far less than $500mil, is all I'm saying. Closer to $320mil.
>>
>>70754683
it made 13 million in china yesterday. Its done.
>>
>>70754536
He's right though. The human actors were all awful.
>>
>>70754702
No. The doubling the production budget rule was not accounting for marketing. The production budget used to include marketing, but at some quiet point in the last decade, marketing became an entirely separate budget.

While it is true that theater/studio ratio changes over time, it doesn't change all that much.
>>
>>70754586
your opinion is shit, and obviously forcing blatant nonsense.

> you don't see the slightest bit of emotion on his face
I saw plenty of emotion even if he wasnt screaming at the top of his lungs hamming it up.

Not saying his acting was great but jesus christ you just seem to be in the mood to berate.

>it feels nothing like warcraft

Maybe if you were retarded.
>>
>>70754812
the movie really is only identifiable as warcraft in names.
>>
>>70754812
autistic blizztard detected.
>>
>>70754749
He is pretty wrong about Lothar, I found him quite enjoyable, Garona was great and the queen was far less cringe than anyone else.
>>
File: 32 (1).jpg (41 KB, 600x477) Image search: [Google]
32 (1).jpg
41 KB, 600x477
>>70754857
>>70754881
>being this angry over nothing

Movie was fine, a solid 6.5, cool off.
>>
>>70754915
Last time I got a 65% I lost a scholarship.
>>
>>70754948
Autism
>>
>>70755002
>65% being a sub-failing grade is autism

>>
Movie was bretty neet, it sort of rushes in the begining and at the middle point it-fucking-DRAGS like holy fucking shit I know you guys got to do exposision but I wanted to fall asleep, I was overjoyed once they got back to the action again.

Im okay with Lothar and the queen, and this might be just me but I was fine with Khadgar too.

Going to take a wild guess and say they might be able to manage the money back just barely but thats just me being bias.
>>
>>70754275
The studio doesn't get every dollar earned through tickets sales bro. They only get half if even that in international market.
>>
>>70754476
You're fucking retarded as hell.
>>
>>70754478
>bad cgi

Troll pls
>>
I saw it, I enjoyed it.

Come at me faggots
>>
This movie will probably make around $400mil by the end of its run worldwide.

It won't be the hit they wanted it to be, but it'll be big enough that it will probably get at least one sequel.

If the sequel doesn't do any better then we probably won't get a trilogy.
>>
Saw it today and really enjoyed it. I'm a long time fan of the game's and didn't have much hope for it going in, but it was surprisingly good. It's not going to change cinema or anything. It's just a fun fantasy flick.

I'm not sure why people are so frothy for it to fail. Critics and /tv/ fags are coming out of the woodwork to hate on it like it raped their gf.

>ahaha it's only made 300m it's fucking over!!!
>>
>>70758328
/tv/edditors and /v/edditors want their new BvS and ToRtanic, respectively.
>>
>>70754521
BB made double what warcraft did opening weekend, 24m vs 44m

and 200m domestic is the equivalent of 650m foreign
>>
why do you guys even care how much money movies make? the studios are running a business, if they make a good decision or a mistake, let them worry about it.
>>
>>70758794
I bet you sure do love the Transformer films

>who cares let them decide what to do
>oh great more bad movies

besides this thread is about discussing the movies revenue, why would you even come into a thread like this if you dont care
>>
>>70758941
I mean to each his own, if you guys are legitimately interested in it I don't have anything against that, I was just curious.

But my point is that they're deciding what to do regardless, that's why they make movies like Warcaft in the first place. Popcorn films aren't a democracy or an art, they're all marketing. Rubbish like Transformers and Warcaft are released simply because studios think they're a good investment.

I guess what I'm missing is why you guys are tracking something you have literally no control over.
>>
>>70756838
Shillard pls, the CGI is unbearable
>>
>>70758558
If you go by the same standard that Warcraft somehow needs 500M to break-even then Batman Begins is a complete failure regardless. And somehow it got sequels.
>>
>>70759202
Actually the CGI is the only point you can't argue failed.

The only part that was questionable was Durotan and Ogrim riding on horses, and I'm pretty sure that was part of the point of the scene.
>>
>>70759430
but the horse/wolf chase scene is the hypest sequence in the movie desu
>>
>>70759345
Did you even read my post?

BB made 200 MILLION DOMESTICALLY
Warcraft WONT even make 100 million domsetic

Because of this Warcraft DOES need to make more because it gets a much smaller cut of foreign box office
>>
>>70758794
Personally, I want it to succeed because I have a fondness for the IP it's based on and I think that this movie could have been good, but was hamstrung by someone insisting it be edited down to two hours, and someone wanted it to be stuffed with sequel bait

I think if given another chance with the IP and more freedom in length and what he shows Jones could make a truly great film
>>
>>70754592

Depends on the phase of the moon tho. I learnt this on /tv/
>>
>>70759537
>I want it to succeed because I have a fondness for the IP it's based on and I think that this movie could have been good
Cucks like this are just sad

>I like the IP and I believe it can be good so I want more of it

Do you think if you get more they will actually improve it? How dense can you be. But Blizzdrones have been like this for the past decade, keep throwing money at Blizzard hoping they improve their shit when in reality they will just keep churning it out and the quality will continue to drop, because they know people like you will keep coming back because nostalgia
>>
it looks so fucking boring though
>>
>>70759591
personally i loved the movie, and i think that its because i'm already invested in the characters

I think that if the beginning hadn't been as rushed as it was and the general audience had to actually be invested in the characters they might have loved it as much as I did
>>
>>70753442
It literally needs 7 trillion domestically (in the first two weeks of release) to just break even
>>
>>70759514
Are you stupid man?

I don't care BB made 200 mill domestically, first of all it wont get 100% of that money, and second of all the worldwide revenue isn't even 500 million. And the studios still only get 50% of the worldwide rev.

BB is a FAILURE

And if you didn't know Legendary gets a considerable amount of money from China because they've been bought by Wanda.
>>
>>70759812
>BB is a FAILURE
You are a clown

Go be a blind fanboy on >>>/v/
>>
>>70753442
i think if they get maroon 5 to do a parody song for the movie it will do ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapo0h-RDnk
>>
>>70754521
>thinking Warcraft will make $200 mil domestic
Hahahaha! Keep going, Blizcucks. You're a hoot!
>>
File: 1445642952123.jpg (14 KB, 339x351) Image search: [Google]
1445642952123.jpg
14 KB, 339x351
>>70760259
>completely missing the point
>>
File: 1463872857416.jpg (169 KB, 837x673) Image search: [Google]
1463872857416.jpg
169 KB, 837x673
"leave boxofficekino to me."
>>
poor blizzDCucks

they have to shit post for entertainment because their movies are trash
>>
>Warcraft won't even make 55 million domestic
JUST
>>
>>70753442
Even with China and their terrible taste, this won't hit $500 million. Not even $450 million.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.