[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best movies in the historical fiction adventure genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: goat genre.jpg (226 KB, 1328x386) Image search: [Google]
goat genre.jpg
226 KB, 1328x386
Best movies in the historical fiction adventure genre?
>>
Dances with Wolves
Kingdom of Heaven
The Ten Commandments
Ben Hur
>>
>>70732326
Schindler's List
>>
>>70732493

> Dances with Wolves

never actually seen this, thanks.
>>
>No Apocalypto

Yeah, you fucked up.
>>
>>70732791

who are you addressing?
>>
>>70732847
The OP.

You know, the guy who posted two other Mel films, but failed to post his latest epic.
>>
I'm just going to pretty much skip WWII, WWI, and any subjects after 1950, unless its marginal enough, as I don't really think that's what you're looking for.

Apocalypto
The New World
Kingdom of Heaven
Troy (I know not many people like that but I loved it when it came out and will watch it if it is ever on TV)
The Revenant
Che movies
John Adams HBO short series
Then you have stuff by Kurosawa like Yojimbo and Seven Samurai
Master and Commander
Glory
>>
>>70732326
>>70732973
If we're going with Mel Gibson historical fiction kino, then Passion of the Christ.
>>
Dude The Patriot is actually garbage.
>>
>>70732973

I was asking for the best movies of the genre and posting some examples you absolute autistic faggot.
>>
>>70733072

> Master and Commander

muh nigga.
>>
File: theduellists.jpg (200 KB, 1197x663) Image search: [Google]
theduellists.jpg
200 KB, 1197x663
Haven't seen it myself, but I've heard good things about The Duelists (1977).
>>
I mentioned Glory as an example of a Civil War historical film, but here are some more

Gods and Generals
Ken Burns Civil War
Gettysburg
Copperhead
Lincoln

Admittedly, I don't think Lincoln is the greatest "historical film" but I can't say I've seen a better construction of the archetypes of the two major generals, Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee, despite their presence in the film to be so minimal that you would almost miss them. Also, I don't think we have a better representation of William Seward though I'd appreciate films that focused on Seward, Joshua Chamberlain, the general that fucked over Lee at Little Round Top at Gettysburg, as well as a close character study of Stonewall Jackson.

I don't know how people categorize Westerns within the historical film categpru, but much like Kurosawa's film, Leone, Peckinpah and Ford all made films that can be reflected on the transition that was occurring during, before, and after the Civil War. If seen in a particular way, films like The Searchers, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Once Upon A Time In The West are each, technically, "historical films" taking place during the Civil War. I think they cover other issues as well that transcend the historical film, but I figured I'd propose that we can consider them. Welcome to opinions.

What do people think of Gods and Generals? Critics hate it. I saw it when it first came out and didn't appreciate it, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has seen it recently; particularly if Civil War buffs and history buffs liked it.
>>
Shogun TV series
>>
>>70734044
Not actually fictional though - it's based off two French officers who actually did fight a long running feud during the Napoleonic Wars.

It was so prevalent that old' Boney himself had to issue a decree banning his own men fro fighting duels during hostilities with other nations. Dupont and Fournier-Sarlovèze just kept going at each other to the point where it became legend within the grand Armeé - 30 duels in 19 years.
>>
>>70732326
Why is the last samurai and mohican, white?
>>
>>70736227
tom cruises character identifies as asian
>>
>>70736227
The Last Samurai is about an American military adviser in Japan. He is supposed to be white.
>>
>>70735462
Anyone with some input?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.