[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Neon Demon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 1
File: the-neon-demon-poster[1].jpg (145 KB, 1080x1399) Image search: [Google]
the-neon-demon-poster[1].jpg
145 KB, 1080x1399
ITT: we discuss the latest NWR film, The Neon Demon without interference from the janitor
>>
torrent?
>>
Why does /tv/ insist on talking about this shitty movie that no one else cares about.

Refn got lucky with Drive. He's done.
>>
>>70720196
No, only released in parts of Europe so far.
>>
I'm ready to continue discussing the film.

I agree that Ruby had different feelings about Jesse, but I still feel like she was just in it for the beauty, as she ended up leading her cannibalization and so badly wanted "to be her first". In a way, I think that is the nature of "the make-up artist" who can't be beautiful herself, so she tries to be a part of the beauty object instead by being her girlfriend, by putting on her make-up, etc. I wonder if Ruby is supposed to represent the enablers of the beauty industry. Perhaps that is why she looks so ecstatic when she dies after having gorged on Jesse's beauty, whereas the other girls take their deaths much more painfully.
>>
>>70720149
Can you describe the cannibal scene? I heard it happened off-screen
>>
>>70722007

They push the main character into an empty pool and she lies there with her limbs all in funny angles while they approach her slowly. The next scene is basically Jena Malone sitting in a tub full of blood while she watches the other girls showering blood off themselves. In the rest of the movie, they are basically just walking around, barfing up the main character.

The most "disturbing" scene is probably Jena Malone doing it with some random corpse, which happens a bit before.

>>
>>70720489
Ruby dies ? I don't remember that in the movie
>>
>>70723743

Hmmm, now that I think about it, we only see her smiling as blood comes out between her legs. I guess she could have survived. It makes sense that "the enabler" should die smiling though, one of the models kills herself (because she can't stand the beauty fixation), and the other one just keeps gorging herself on beauty, even eating Jesse's eye. I don't know though.
>>
so is this a vampire/zombie movie or what
>>
>>70720489
That's it.
But she didn't want to be her girlfriend, she wanted a purely hedonistic sexual experience in order to reach that beauty. Jesse's "thing" is her virginity which is why she rejects everyone who tries to connect with her. She's deeply afraid of penetration and Refn symbolizes it through the dream sequence with Keanu Reeves.
>>
>>70723944
No.
She doesn't die. She becomes empowered by Jesse's feminity which is why blood flows from her inner thighs and why she smiles while looking at the moon (which is a symbol for feminity).
>>
>>70720233
> Valhalla Rising, Bronson, and OGF don't exist
>>
Oh shit this premiered in Norway yesterday, now I'm tempted to catch a screening tomorrow.

How bad of an idea would it be to take the gf along to this?
>>
>>70723987
No, it's about cannibalism and it has a lot of esoteric symbolism, Refn won't admit it but I think he did a lot research on esoterism. For OGF, it was obvious he had to know a lot of things about Freudian theories and Greek tragedies.
>>
>>70724274
If she's a pleb, don't even think about it. This film is also really reactionnary.
>>
>>70723987

Noooo. It's like a coming-of-age story of a model or something and then it goes 2001: A Space Odyssey in the second half with cannibalism and necrophilia that are metaphors for whatever, lol.

>>70724097

Interesting! Not the way I interpreted it. I thought the Neon Demon is "beauty" itself. When Jesse reaches the top of the chain when she's picked to close that fashion show, there is that long, surreal sequence where Jesse is kissing the mirror and it keeps flashing to that up side down neon triforce, which I think is the neon demon's sign. I think this is the neon demon taking over Jesse, who is now beauty personified. Everyone wants a bite of this: From the enablers like Ruby, who try to become a part of her, to the models who want to be her and Keanu Reeves, "the everyman", who wants to use her. This fixation on beauty ruins everyone's lives though, Jesse's as well - and this is "the curse of the neon demon". The only person who gets away is "the nice guy" who disagrees beauty is everything and gets away in time.
>>
so who was the neon demon and is the title of the movie ever said in the movie
>>
>>70724274
Great idea. It's a lovely movie for a couple. Refn dedicated it to his wife. :-)
>>
>>70724358
>it keeps flashing to that up side down neon triforce, which I think is the neon demon's sign
That's what I think too, and when you look at it it kinda looks like an evil face smiling
Buf Refn said that the neon demon is Jesse
>>
I have tickets for this at a screening where Refn and Fanning are going to show up. Problem is my friends are all way too pleb to go watch it and I don't want to go alone. Is it worth it?
>>
>>70724274
Take her because this is a fun date movie.
>>
>>70724188

That makes sense. In any case, "the beauty industry" or "the leechers", which Ruby perhaps represents, are the only ones who get something positive out of the worship of beauty then?

>>70724274

Totally depends on how cool your girlfriend is. It's a lot more entertaining than Refn's other weird movies (like Only God Forgives), and just the main character, and how you're made to identify with her, it really does feel like a movie made for women. I also completely disagree that it's reactionary >>70724333 It's actually a very simple, "politically correct" criticism of putting too much stock in superficial beauty; it's just very creatively and interestingly expressed. On the other hand, at some point the movie just stops working on a literal level and becomes very mysterious and metaphorical which will turn a lot of people off. There's also the cannibalism and lesbian necrophilia.
>>
>>70724478

Yeah, I agree with that. I think "the neon demon" is something timeless. It's simply "beauty" and what it does to people. In the movie we see Jesse becoming the neon demon and being it, and thus is the neon demon. At some point someone else might become the neon demon though, and I think it's in this general way it's represented by the neon triforce.
>>
>>70724358
Well, I never thought about the importance of the title. I think...
The whole scene when she kisses her reflection is just portraying her extreme narcissism. Now that she's chosen for the fashion show, she can show her true face. You could say that she's always been "the neon demon". Her mother thought she was dangerous and she admits to Dean that she's well aware of the power of her beauty when he takes her for a drive. In fact, she's as shallow as Gigi or Sarah, she was just ignorant about the fashion world.
>>
>>70724557
Then go alone, nobody cares you know
>>
What do you all think is the origin of the upside down triforce?
>>
>>70724573
It's reactionnary because it portrays the modern woman as a shallow individual who is so obsessed by beauty that she ends up forgetting her individuality.
>>
>>70724440
>>70724565
Oh yeah I bet. :)

>>70724333
She did enjoy Enemy, Gone Girl and Nightcrawler but yeah like most girls her tastes in media are generally pretty pleb.

Are there any scenes with sexual violence? She gets pretty shaky watching that so if so I'll probably have to challenge the no singles policy and go alone.
>>
>>70724763
/b/ maybe
>>
>>70724752
Dude go easy okay my mom committed suicide today i'm pretty pissed off at the minute you DO NOT want to fuck with me right now man i swear i'm so mad i could just burst out of your fucking screen and choke you right now i swear to god man just go to another board or something you want nothing to do with me right now
>>
>>70724816
Actually, yes. But it's implied.
You can hear Keanu Reeves raping and murdering a 13 year old girl.
>>
dude cannibalism lmao
>>
>>70720242
The score is up on rutracker tho.
>>
>tfw fingering my gf during the bath scene
feels good being depraved together tbqh laddies
>>
>>70724724

I think the movie is a lot more generally about beauty than your interpretation captures though, and both Fanning and Refn seem very focused on what the neon demon is in interviews, which has a central role in my interpretation, so I find myself more convinced by my own interpretation. Note how the movie completely changes tone after the surreal sequence which I believe is when the demon takes over her, and also how innocently depicted she was before that. It wasn't until after this sequence "the good guy" left her. I agree that her mother was correct in saying she was dangerous though, but that was because she saw the potential in Jesse's beauty which didn't really fully manifest until "the neon demon" took her.

>>70724763

It's something neony that looks very strict and threatening, thus symbolizing "the neon demon", I think. So it just looks like that so we'll be able to understand what it is, and because it makes the movie more mysterious and stuff. Also probably too many nights playing Zelda wearing gravity boots or something.
>>
Am I the only one who got hard during the necrophilia scene? I feel bad about it...
>>
>>70724886
oh i wanna go watch this now
>>
>>70724816
>no singles policy
What the fuck ? Is that really a thing ?
>>
>>70724806

I disagree, because where do you get the idea it's supposed to be a general portrayal of modern women? It's about beauty and what overly fixating on it, like the model world does, can do to you - and it encourages woman not to take superficial beauty that seriously. Refn said the movie was made for 16-year-old girls and there is a reason it is dedicated to his wife.
>>
>>70724886
Well fuck, that's pretty brutal. Based Refn.

I'm not sure if that disqualifies the film when it's not explicitly shown but thanks for the heads up.
>>
can someone post some sexy elle pics so i can bust a nut
>>
>>70724983
Her "innocence" is merely an ignorance. She's entranced by everything she sees because she's discovering a new world where everybody is fascinated by her. I think Refn is tricking us by portraying her state of mind, in this way, she looks innocent. She's not naive. She says she can make "money off pretty". She knows that everyone desires her or is envious. There are subtle clues, here and there. For example, when she asks Gigi if her surgeon calling her "a bionic woman" was a compliment.
Also, I think the tri-force represents a vagina.
>>
>>70725246

Still feel like my interpretation is better though, because everything hangs together in mine whereas in yours I see a lot of loose stuff like the moon representing femininty and the triforce a vagina. Mine also connects well with what Refn and Fanning have been saying about it being for 16-year-old girls and who the neon demon is. But anyway, this is probably not a movie that has a "correct" explanation. Half the fun is probably making up your own interpretation ... Heading to bed now, lol.
>>
>>70725113
The women portrayed in the film embody the modern woman because they are used - as fashion models - to set standards of beauty. They are what the modern woman aspire to be : rich, thin and beautiful. It's an extremelt shallow pursuit. Of course, it's only my take on this film. I think you can reasonably have multiple valid interprations because there's so much going on.
>>
wtf i hate cannibals now
>>
Sarah did nothing wrong
>>
How is it
>>
>>70725373
Moon is a feminine symbol because it is associated with menstruation. Google it.
The tri-force thing is a pure subjective asspull though.
Sleep tight, anon :^)
>>
>>70725412

Couldn't you say that "the world" is reactionary then, because of the existence of fashion models? And if the movie is supposed to be reactionary relative to the world, how does that make sense, since both have fashion models?
>>
>>70724886
Damn...

Real lolita shit?
>>
>this thread
>people talking about esoteric and """alchemy"""" symbolism

Just stop. It's fucking embaressing and it's obvious that you guys know fuck all about mysticism.
>>
>14 DAYS

I CAN'T REEE
>>
So what happened with Ruby? Did she kill herself or what?
>>
>>70724983
I watched the movie Wednesday, but I can't remember how much they say about her parent's death
Are they really dead? or was she possibly responsible? Or does it just not matter?
>>
>>70725538

The fact that the moon traditionally symbolizes femininity, of which I'm aware of, does not automatically mean that's what it means in the movie though. The way they talk about how the sky makes you small and how the moon is an eye makes me rather feel like everything with the stars in the moon is about "perspective", realizing how little the type of beauty the movie is about means in the greater scheme of things.

As for my triforce interpretation, I think it's pretty reasonable. You will find several posters in which "the neon demon" is written over this logo. Seeing how the flashing of it is used during the transition sequence where several things suggest Jesse is taken over by the demon, after which everything goes to hell, also agrees with this interpretation.

Anywayyyyy, night.<333
>>
>>70725627
Where the fuck do people seem to think that she died? She just got a blood enema.
>>
>>70725589
Enlighten us with your knowledge, anon.
>>70725548
I don't see/understand your point. Could you rephrase it?
>>
What would happen if this movie was actually not a piece of shit? What if it was actually good? Would the janitors still delete these threads?
>>
>>70725704
what the fuck is a blood enema?
>>
>>70725676
But the fact that the moon is associated in this scene with abundant blood flowing out of Ruby's cunt doesn't seem like a coincidence. Refn wants to seem lazy but, as I said, he thinks about these symbols.
>>
>>70725786
It's a enema, but instead of water, it's blood.
>>
>>70725676
>Anywayyyyy, night.<333
Kill yourself
>>
>>70725820

From my knowledge of Refn he tends more towards ambiguous, messy interrelated abstractions rather than pointed, specific, archetypal like that moon symbolizes virginity, etc. But he probably does a little bit of both.

Anyway, ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzz
>>
>>70724221
OGF is shit
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.