[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Voyage Of Time be the logical conclusion to this man's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: MALICK.jpg (188 KB, 872x941) Image search: [Google]
MALICK.jpg
188 KB, 872x941
Will Voyage Of Time be the logical conclusion to this man's career?
>>
Which one of his movies is most like Thin Red Line except Thin Red Line?
>>
>>70717575
The New World

>>70716850
Eh I see what you're saying, they (2 versions, one shorter in IMAX) will be incredible, but he has many more films and modes to come.

Knight of Cups may well be his best film
>>
>>70716850
He's literally the tarkovsky of our generation
>>
>>70717657
What the fuck, I thought tarkovsky was the tarkovsky of our generation.
>>
>>70717704
Tarkovsky is dead m8
>>
>>70717812
WTF Sticky when???
>>
>>70717575
The New World, except it is nowhere near as well done
>>
>>70717607
knight of cups is good?

i constatly see people shitting on it here on /tv/
>>
The Tree of Life is one of the best films ever made.

Fight me
>>
>>70717856
kinooooooOOOOoooooOOOOO
i am the ghost of andrei tarkovsky and i will haunt this board until i get my stickyyyyYYYYyyyyy
is horse an auteur
>>
>>70717966
It's excellent, the perfect conclusion to this loose trilogy of sorts. Genuine fans appreciate it. There is meme value, it is kinda Dubs guy wanders the GTAV map, but once you get past that it's astounding. Make sure you watch a good copy, not some laptop stream.

Brody absolutely nails it as few reviewers were capable of:
>Perhaps no film in the history of cinema follows the movement of memory as faithfully, as passionately, or as profoundly as Terrence Malick’s new film, “Knight of Cups.” It’s an instant classic in several genres—the confessional, the inside-Hollywood story, the Dantesque midlife-crisis drama, the religious quest, the romantic struggle, the sexual reverie, the family melodrama—because the protagonist’s life, like most people’s lives, involves intertwined strains of activity that don’t just overlap but are inseparable from each other. The movie runs less than two hours and its focus is intimate, but its span seems enormous—not least because Malick has made a character who’s something of an alter ego, and he endows that character with an artistic identity and imagination as vast and as vital as his own.

>As such, “Knight of Cups” is one of the great recent bursts of cinematic artistry, a carnival of images and sounds that have a sensual beauty, of light and movement, of gesture and inflection, rarely matched in any movie that isn’t Malick’s own. Here, he—and his cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki—surpass themselves. Where “The Tree of Life” is filled with memories, is even about memory, “Knight of Cups” is close to a first-person act of remembering, and the ecstatic power of its images and sounds is a virtual manifesto, and confession, of the cinematic mind at work.
>>
File: 1424450645140.gif (3 MB, 280x358) Image search: [Google]
1424450645140.gif
3 MB, 280x358
>>70717987
>>
badlands sequel when?
>>
>>70717987
Why would I fight someone with the correct opinion?
>>
>>70717987
Seriously though is there any other film made in the last 5 years that has already been hailed as a masterpiece like Tree of Life?
>>
>>70718061
Calm down CIA.
>>
>>70718595
I am not aware ... but, it deserves it
>>
>>70718048
really aprecciated it man
i'll give it a watch
>>
I'll watch it in theater with a female. I PROMISE to myself I will for the love of god let me have a gf by then
>>
>>70717704

Except he's antithetical to Tarkovsky in terms of execution.

Tarkovsky hated rapid montage and montage theory, both of which Malick takes to the nines. He also didn't like the unnatural distortion that wide angle lenses brought to the film image.

The closest Tarkovsky got to montage was Mirror, and yet it still ended up better than anything Malick has stitched together.
>>
>>70722323
Are you Russian?
>>
I think it will be good. The narrative is always the worst part of any Malick film, giving that up entirely would do him good
>>
File: 1447317134086.png (27 KB, 620x743) Image search: [Google]
1447317134086.png
27 KB, 620x743
>you will never watch The Tree of Life for the first time ever again
>>
File: 9T1kgIr.gif (2 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
9T1kgIr.gif
2 MB, 250x188
>>70723089
>tfw I just missed a screening in my city accompanied by a live orchestra
>>
>>70723324
>a live orchestra
Not sure if it's a good thing, fám
>>
>>70723016
He gave up on narrative post-exile
>>
>>70723461
Really? Sounds fantastic to me. They did a similar thing with LoTR in a lot of cities a few years back. Apparently it was amazing
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmxzE72KQk
How can one man have such great musical taste?
>>
>>70723552
In what sense? TTRL is packed with war movie cliches, for up to 40 minutes at a time it's just a straight war film that often seems at odds with the Malick-esque parts
>>
>>70723777
nice trips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3Q8c73ziA
3:36
>>
>>70723869
Cliches don't make narrative
If anything one of the main criticisms of post-exile Malick is that his characters spout cliches while the plot is non-existent
Can you condense TTRL into a three act structure? Do any of the characters have well developed arc?
>>
>>70717657
this
>tfw there wont be another for so long

Shane Carruth is a Christian. How long until he takes up the gauntlet of making films which express the might, beauty, and humility of Christ?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.