[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is The Vvitch actually a good movie, or is it just memey anti-religious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 15
File: YtYy4PC-A0WM5BA.jpg (738 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
YtYy4PC-A0WM5BA.jpg
738 KB, 1200x1500
Is The Vvitch actually a good movie, or is it just memey anti-religious fedoraism?
>>
it's a good film

>memey anti-religious fedoraism

What the fuck are you even talking about retard?
>>
>>70709460
It's not a good movie, but if you see it as anti-religious you're pretty dumb. I dont even see how a person could see it as anti-religion.

Because the people are religious and the father goes crazy?
>>
One of the best movies this year. It's also one of the best of the genre and it is exactly what the stale genre needs more of.
>>
One of the best movies this year. It's also one of the best of the genre and it is exactly what the stale genre needs more of.
>>
>>70709460
it was so bad I couldn't finish it
>>
>>70709647
You have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>70709504
Stop calling people retards.
>>
>>70709671
under 18's are the only ones who could appreciate this piece of shit
>>
>>70709674
Retard
R e t a r d
r e t a r d e d
>>
>>70709714
The only people hated this movie were brain dead normies who thought they were getting jump scares

Critics loved it and /tv/ does too so I guess you don't belong here
>>
pure kino
>>
It's ok, but I think it's confused abot its message.
It has nothing to do with religion though, maybe with puritanism, but religion itself isn't shown as a bad thing.
>>
>>70709509
>father goes crazy
He was the sanest person until the end.
>>
>>70709752
/tv/ loves it for 10c/post
>>
>>70709832
>1mln budget
>somehow able to shill post
>>
>>70709832
If you question our taste surely you must be the VVitch
>>
>>70709752
critics and /tv/ loved zootopia too and that's a movie for 6yo's. witch is more for 13yo goth girls though right?
>>
File: BlackPhillip.jpg (495 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
BlackPhillip.jpg
495 KB, 1200x800
Its deliciously acclaimed by critics too
>>
>>70709950
Zootopia is a good movie. First 15 minutes are awful, but when the investigation plot kicks in it gets immediately better.
Also it could've been awful with the "don't judge the book by its cover" plot but it subverts the trope briliantly. There's also some really good comedic moments.
Overall it's 8/10, the worst thing in the entire movie was Shakira's cameo.
>>
>>70709992
black phil dindu nuffin
>>
File: U8smm1p-hlI9t0g.jpg (603 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
U8smm1p-hlI9t0g.jpg
603 KB, 1200x1500
The movie is not attacking religion, you dope.
>>
>>70709950
>meant for goth girls

Lol you haven't even seen the movie. Don't ever reply to me again
>>
>>70709460
It's pretty shit. The girl was hot as fuck and it would have been totally understandable if her brother fucked her.

It's also a feminist film. Critics claim claim it is about breaking free from the misogynistic nuclear family. Nothing to do with religion though.
>>
>>70709571
>>70709570
Woah, hivemind...
>>
>>70710757
It must be some kind of bug... Hiro is up to something, with the country ban issue and all
>>
>>70709460
Bad movies take many forms. Also, how is it anti religious? Turns out there are a couple of evil witchs all along, they should have been burnt at the stake
>>
it's not anti-religious, if anything it's a pro-testant film ha ha
>>
>>70709460
You should avoid it, it has witches in it.. Isn't that against your beliefs? No Harry Potter or magic, or be a blasphemer.
>>
>>70709460

>Americans not understanding the movie is talking shit about all of them
>>
>>70709752
Only retarded too-cool-for-school edgelords from Facebook loved it. /tv/ thought it was ok.

>>70711391
The satanist community shilled the fuck out it on their websites and such.
>>
>>70712264
who the hell keeps tabs on the satanist community lmao
>>
Imo, it's not very good.

It built tension quite well, although it was a lot of unrelated filler. And then the ending when full WELL HERES A GUY WHOS LITERALLY THE DEVIL LOOK SHE SIGNS A CONTRACT AND FLOATING NAKED GIRLS IN THE WOOD IT WAS ALL REAL IT WAS THE GOAT ALL ALONG :PPXXDD

5/10
>>
File: heNt3L8-YJqyW1i.jpg (604 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
heNt3L8-YJqyW1i.jpg
604 KB, 1200x1500
I thought it was really fucking good.
I thought it would be generic horror, but I was pleasantly surprised
>>
So did her bro got vvitch pucci or not?

Seemed a bit rapey
>>
>>70712378

>this guy is too stupid to understand the meaning of the final scene
>this guy did not pay attention to the movie

I mean literally one of the first scenes of the movie establishes that there is a real witch
>>
It's extremely memey and not a good "horror" movie at all unless you can relate to being a retarded religious nutjob
>>
>Black Phillip
>Baahh Baahh

Honestly Oscar worthy performance. Black Phillip should be on the red carpet.
>>
>>70712412
I didn't say there wasn't a witch
>>
>>70712426
>extremely memey

i also say this about movies all the time

>hey what did you think of this movie?
>ehh it's extremely memey
>>
>>70712464

so then what is wrong with the ending
>>
>>70712547
OP literally asked if the movie was memey you absolute retard
>>
>>70712619
but it's not at all anti-religious compadre
the events unfolded because of the fathers stupid pride and self separation from the church in the village
>>
>>70712553
Literally the devil walking in to sign the book

I mean, they didn't have to spell it out like that, but I guess they have little faith in the normie audience.
>>
>>70712705

so you described the plot and that was your critique

again, what is wrong with the ending?
>>
>>70712705
That's not describing what's wrong with it, that's just describing the scene
>>
>>70712677
Oh yeah I agree, not sure why OP thinks the movie is anti-religion when the entire premise hinges on believing in Satan. Sorry for calling you a retard btw, I use the term very liberally so I don't actually think you're retarded; in that instance "retard" meant "friend"
>>
>>70712773
>>70712734
The critique is that roughly 90% of the whole movie is incredibly slow paced, building atmosphere and creating confusion and uncertainty about what's going on.

And then the last 5 minutes they went: "well see, here is the devil, you're supposed to write in his literal book and here are some floating crazy women so that was what's in the woods :p". Completely difference pacing, like a different director jumped in for the last few shots. Also ruined all the mystery the movie built up.
>>
>>70713017
Its more like the movie showed what was going on was in fact real.

Black Phillup didnt just show up, last I checked, he was in most of the movie. Just because he was a goat/crow/rabbit at points doesnt mean he "just shows up" at the end.
>>
>>70713017

Again, if you thought there was mystery in the movie then you missed the point. Literally one of the first scenes in the movie establishes that the witch is absolutely real and if you didn't understand that then you don't know how movie language works.
>>
>>70713017
the ending scene was done perfectly
>>
>>70713017
The movie literally shows you a witch grinding up a baby and floating up on a broomstick within the first 20 minutes. There wasn't much ambiguity as to whether the whole thing was real or not.
>Completely difference pacing
This critique literally makes no sense. The scene was a slow paced as the rest of the film
>>
I remember seeing a trailer for it either when I went to see Star Wars or that bear rape film with dicaprio (so forgettable I've forgotten the name).

Looked pretty interesting, if it's even mildly enjoyable I'll check it out.
>>
Everyone I went with hated it. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt- I honestly think if the cinematography wasn't so shit and the script was better, it could've been good.
>>
>>70714418
The cinematography and script are the strong points of the movie you pleb
>>
>>70709460

The movie starts off showing the family being kicked out of what was already a deeply religious community, the point seems clearly established that the problem isn't inherently about religion but of crazy levels of obsession.

And really, its more about sex than religion.
>>
>>70713381
It's a decent film mate and has a lot of memorable scenes. It's worth a watch if you are curious.
>>
>>70709460
It's both

The idea of ones own parents becoming so paranoid and hysterical that they actually try to kill you over a ghost story you told to a sibling makes for great and effective horror.
>>
I think it was amazing.
>>
>>70709671

Your one retarded ass nigger
>>
>>70709509

Yeah bruh, like not enough jumpscares. I'd've fallen asleep if I wasn't getting my foreskin cleaned by me dad

>>70709752

this x 100
>>
Isn't pride one of the capital sins because it was the father's pride which put them all into the shit they were in.
>>
File: the-witch-goat_0.jpg (130 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
the-witch-goat_0.jpg
130 KB, 612x380
>>70709992
That goat is so fucking smug
>>
>>70716677
Yeah that's what I thought also.
>>
>>70714654
Just got a chromecast yesterday and finished watching Locke with my family (they all liked it which was surprising, I think it's one of the best films of this decade desu)

Showed them all the trailer for this immedately after and they're all interested. I normally don't like horror but this seems really interesting, love the setting and at least the whole supernatural shit kind of makes sense in a puritanical Americas setting, not like witches and ghosts in 21st century Manhattan or whatever.
>>
>>70709460
>memey anti-religious fedoraism
how is it anti-religious? just because bible is useless in the movie? witchery is a real thing, with or without religion.

>>70709992
>>70716789
ultimate villain, really hate that goat
>>
>>70716789
deliciously smug
>>
>>70709571
>>70709570
>implying the VVitch was a horror movie

it was a well acted, well produced, period drama
>>
File: 1461511749204.jpg (35 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
1461511749204.jpg
35 KB, 399x400
>>70709992
The goat fucked her in the end, right?
>>
>>70709460
It's very unsettling and gave me nightmares

It wasn't scary thought but it did a good job with atmosphere and timing
Great movie, haven't been so freaked out since I cant remember
>>
>>70709460
I didn't know what to expect when I first saw it, but in the end I really liked it.

I wouldn't categorize it as a horror movie tho, it's more like a psychological thriller, keep that in mind if you're gonna watch it.
>>
>>70713079
>goat/crow/rabbit
I thought those were all different witches' familiars

My question is why they spared her and gave back her brother alive for like a couple minutes?
>>
I fell in love
>>
>>70720508
It was implied bestiality, yes.
>>
>>70710633
I don't understand how people can read it as a "feminist movie". What the fuck was feminist about it?

It's one example of people reading too much about something. Kinda how there are academics that claim that black people behave in twitter the same way they communicated when they were slaves

Good movie, I don't consider it anti-religious, they treat the subject very solemnly.
Although I could see hardcore Christians being upset because they tend to forget how ridiculously gullible their religion is, specially in a colonial setting
>>
>>70714448
>>The cinematography
Am I the only one than found many of the shots horribly out of focus?

>>70720937
Still has the glow. Anyone knows if they used a body double at the end?

Poor girl, white as fuck and Argentinian, from her twitter she seems to be confused about it
>>
>>70720937
post thomasins!
>>
>>70721340
>her twitter
>and instagram
What the fuck, she seems like a psycho
>>
>>70721340
what a pleb
>>
>>70721223
I think some women still look back to the witch accusations and take it personally, so they likely identified with the ultimately vindicated Thomasin. The Salem Witch Trials happened 300+ years ago, but it's still a fresh wound somehow.

You have Charmed and American Horror Story. And feminist Wiccans. And all other types of silly shit. Witches = girl power.
>>
>>70721484
Soft focus is cool, not nailing focus is not
>>
File: sermon demon.jpg (40 KB, 481x600) Image search: [Google]
sermon demon.jpg
40 KB, 481x600
>>70721391
>>
>>70721571
>so they likely identified with the ultimately vindicated Thomasin
That was one theory I had. But to me, the only way she was vindicated is if we found out they were just crazy Christians at the end

The whore literally sold her soul to the devil in the end in exchange for a pretty dress and a delicious life. We are supposed to know nothing good can come out of it.
>>
File: atj.jpg (81 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
atj.jpg
81 KB, 600x600
>>70721645
>>
>>70721698
But when she was accused, she was sinless. It was only at the end of the movie that she sold her soul. After she was blamed for their problems.
>>
File: black phillip.gif (457 KB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
black phillip.gif
457 KB, 500x438
>>70709992

>tfw living deliciously
>>
>>70709460
i watched it deliciously
>>
>>70721790
is that black philip?
>>
File: thomasin.jpg (183 KB, 1934x1165) Image search: [Google]
thomasin.jpg
183 KB, 1934x1165
The movie is worth watching for Thomasin alone.
>>
File: 1465160436608.jpg (578 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1465160436608.jpg
578 KB, 1000x1000
>>70721790
>>
too antichristy
>>
File: The-Witch.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The-Witch.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
fucking great movie. only redditors and contrarians will disagree.
>>
it's wannabe kino for retarded horror fans

I haven't even seen it and I can tell from the trailers
>>
>>70709752
>Critics loved it
And?
>>
>>70714562
how so? because the boy looked at boobs?
>>
>>70720508
It transformed itself into a monstrous beast and knotted her yes. She became a witch.
>>
>>70709460
I thought it was boring.
>>
While it seemed Baphomet was to blame, the real demon in this case is Cernnunus, the horned one.

The Witch is a film that has its credit because it scrapes the line between good and evil. The family did not do evil, but evil came to them and was not an active force but a sinister watcher under the form of a goat.
When all seemed lost, the only voice and hand of kindness offered to the girl was none other than the lesser evil.
It's beautiful to see black philip's interest on the naive innocence of a girl whose very name she cannot write. Basically, this is how man, turns to the dark side of God. Because God forsakes man. And if doing so is the way, then it is normal for the devil to aid them.
>>
Great, great film. It preserved a thick, palpable sense of dread throughout the entire film. I'm religious and didn't see anything you could take as anti-religiousness. Maybe a critique of Puritanism and how it led to their downfall rather than saving them, but the movie does put a lot of effort into humanizing the family rather than judging them as stupid religious nuts.
>>
The way of see it. The whole scheme of things seemed to revolve around the entity wanting to have the girl for himself and plotting the family's demise at their own hand with paranoia and grief. Only when she is at her uttermost bottom, is that Black Phillip courts her.

Personally, I doubt burning these witches alive would even kill them. And they were witches.
>>
>>70725942
No, no, no.
It's a twisted love story between the entity "Black Phillip" and the girl.
>>
>>70720727
The boy renounced evil and the pleasures of the flesh, hence the apple coming out of his mouth, he expelled sin and died, thus salvaging his soul. The girl, less fortunate, became alone after murdering her mother, she was in no proper state to even survive until Black Philips promisses her protection, care and warmth in exchange for her soul. It courts and woos her.
Other witches may have tried to summon the devil, but it was she that attracted him. You can say she hit the jackpot of evil.
>>
>>70726823
That's my POV. It was all a plot by Black Philip to corrupt Thomasin

But for some reason people feel she was empowered against patriarchy and liberated by the devil or some shit
>>
>>70727653
Actually, Thomasin was not corrupted. Thy is the pleasure of it all. An innocent soul at its hands.

In despair, she talked to the goat as if it were a friend. Not much was expected other than to die of either famine or thirst before it talks.
When it commands her to remove thy dress, she sheds a tear as he guides her hand. Ignorant and innocent, she says she does not know how to write, which the entity replies he will aid her hand.
It's complicated to understand the ending, but it's clear the women are celebrating her coming.
Black Phillip is there and only then the dark sorcery happens.
Her desires are simple, the taste of butter....a pretty dress...to live deliciously...
She did not wish to be a witch, nor is there indication that she became a witch at heart.
Sinister being, the spanish witches detailed that the devil had four brides, one a demon while the three former women bound to live and die all over the centuries.
It's complicated.

There was a "need" to have Thomasin.
>>
>>70720508
No, it was in the pussy.
>>
>>70709460
Have you ever memed so hard you shat your pants? OP did.
>>
Better or worse than Conjuring 2: Electric Bongaloo?
>>
>>70709504

Turning a baby into body lotion is pretty unchristian tbqh
>>
whats up with all these interpretations of Satan/Black Phillip actually being kind to her, and softening his heart to her?
>>
>>70729193
Well, conjuring 2 was based off an actual event. I even searched the daily mail and they do have a illustration from 1977 and in youtube there's some audio and video tapes of what i can only describe as WTF. It's has the movie portrays though.
Couldn't sleep properly at night.
>>
>>70727994
you're a retard
>>
>>70729552
Seen the movie? Poor lass was desperate
>>
>>70729193
the conjuring is even worse the the witch
>>
>>70729867
At least I live deliciously.
>>
>>70729872
yeah, she was. But why would anyone conclude Satan softened his heart and wasn't just using/manipulating her
>>
Are there any jumpscares at all
>>
>>70709460
The Mother and Father were top notch. The horror was subtle and extremely tasteful. The dialogue was great. Thomasin was achingly beautiful, the son was good and the little kids were eery as fuck. Reminded me of that midget cunt from Freaks that does that "gooba gabba one of us!" shit. Movie was great, do want more tasteful adult horror.
>>
boring movie with a very bland story and stupid plot holes and bad acting

do not watch this piece of shit
>>
i did not like the movie because the movie was boring and dumb and i was bored so i played on my phone to stop the boredom

do not watch the movie it was bad
>>
>>70730795
there's no scares of any kind. plenty of bad actors spouting boring drivel though
>>
movie was bad really bad i did not like the bad movie

do not watch bad movies there is more good movies you can watch do not watch bad
>>
actors were not good they were bad and boring and there acting was not good but bad

do not watch movie it was not good only watch good movies
>>
i watched this movie but i wish i did not because the movie was not good and did not scare me because it was boring and slow and about old people and goats

do not watch old movies about goats watch new movies about scary monsters because they are real horor movies not bad horor movies like this bad movie that was not good
>>
I liked how in the end you didn't actually see Black Philip talk, you just heard his voice. I was worried they were going to CGI his mouth and ruin the whole scene, but by keeping it offscreen it kept the suspense and it played out really well
>>
>>70730615
No idea, people post-modernising shit for the sake of it

The whore was weak, the devil is going to torture her for eternity. Keep it classic
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.