[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the greatest stand-up performance ever and why is it this one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 4
File: killin em softly.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
killin em softly.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
What is the greatest stand-up performance ever and why is it this one?
>>
>>70695322
Get a job, Grouch.
>>
>>70695348
BITCH I LIVE IN A TRASHCAN
>>
>>70695322
That's not Richard Pryor Live.
>>
>>70695322
dave chapelle has to be the most overrated comedian of all time
>>
>>70695392
That would be George Carlin.
>>
>>70695368
NOBODY'S HELPING ME!
>>
>>70695410
Bill Hicks is the most overrated comedian of all time since most of his act wasn't even jokes, just edgy rants.

At least Carlin had a long career as an actual comedian who said funny stuff before going the Bill Hicks route as he got older and just ranted and raved on the stage.
>>
File: rory gilmore1.jpg (5 KB, 258x196) Image search: [Google]
rory gilmore1.jpg
5 KB, 258x196
>>70695392
>>
Chapelle is a very talented stand up but I wouldn't consider any of it top 10. Eddie Murphy, Richard Pyror, Chris Rock, and George Carlin were miles ahead.

Chapelle's standup doesn't make him a legend, his sketches on Comedy Central did
>>
>>70695688
still never fails to baffle me how "edgy" became an pejorative on 4chan of all places.
>>
>>70695348
I say variations of "oscar, you're a grouch" all the time, and "i want that purple stuff". Part of me feels embarrassed but it's too easy and funny
>>
JUST BECAUSE I'M DRESSED THIS WAY DOES NOT MAKE ME A POLICE OFFICER
>>
>>70695767
Maybe it's just me but I think his stand-up is way funnier than his show
>>
Eddie izzard: dressed to kill
>>
>>70695767
carlin wasnt funny. Chapelle is the best
>>
Daily reminder stand up comedy is shit and the best performances are the ones you see live and not in front of a screen alone.

to answer your question Dave Attell at the Comedy Cellar any night from 2002 - 2005
>>
>>70695767

Chappelle has surpassed Chris Rock's best material by miles. Chris Rock's delivery is the exact same in every joke.
>>
>tfw you've lived in places that were so completely broken you could see toddlers just wandering around outside in the middle of the night
>>
>>70695990
baby's first standup
>>
>>70696008
Its so great to derive superiority from seeing things no one else can ever see.
>>
>>70695830
It should tell you more about the outside world that 4chan now considers "edgy" that way
>>
Me Doing Stand Up is best.

>>70695830
Because you can come here for edge. There's plenty of edge going around for free.

It would be like some fat guy on /sp/ got to be a professional athlete. It's reasonable to expect skill in people paid to perform.
>>
>>70696055
This.

Chris Rock is funny, but his only consistently funny special is Bring the Pain. Chappelle is a natural. His interview on Inside the Actors Studio is funnier than Bigger and Blacker.
>>
>>70696008
I like Attell but I think he relies on gross out and weird sex jokes a little too much. He also has a weird fixation on midgets. Overall he's good though just a little repetitive.
>>
>>70695767
>>70695914
his sketches are shit, er, well they're ok, but. His stand-up is actually groundbreaking. Somehow, he found a way to make his material as funny to whites as it is to blacks, which is kinda remarkable considering what his content deals with.
>>
>>70696096
doesnt change the fact that Carlin wasnt funny
>>
File: 1463943394367.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1463943394367.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>70695767
> Chris Rock miles ahead of Chapelle
Not even on a bad day, m8
>>
>>70696128
actually it comes off as 4chan being champions of the status quo.
>>
Dave Chapelle was really funny, but stand up was not his forte. Carlin was funnier imo, and even when his content wasn't funny, it was still extremely relevant, insightful, and interesting. So I don't hold that against him. Carlin railed against religion before it was acceptable and popular. Carlin was an edgy asshole before it was acceptable and popular. As much as 4chan shits on Carlin, our style of humor originates largely from him. He's the progenitor of most of this.

If Carlin was still alive, he'd be ripping the jews and the 1% a new asshole.
>>
>>70696077
Do you live in West Virginia or Detroit?
>>
why would chapella turn down 40 million what a dumb loser neal brennan could have used that money to buy a neck
>>
Christopher Titus is pretty good
>>
>>70695322

maybe but any norm macdonald interview is funnier than any stand up special
>>
File: 9432726_9.jpg (313 KB, 1333x1600) Image search: [Google]
9432726_9.jpg
313 KB, 1333x1600
Its was Lenny Bruce you fucking plebs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umI4XCOGrmo
>>
>>70696230
Chappelle grew up with Chris Rock. His comedy wouldn't be the same with out him.
>>
>>70696274
Neither. Places like that were everywhere in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>70696218
I see Chappelle's Show as the 21st century's answer to Seinfeld. It's a slice of a comedian's stand-up material stretched out to 20 minute episodes. Chappelle was just more loose and improvisational than Seinfeld, both equally hilarious and rewatchable.

Chappelle's Show's success cannot be replicated in this day and age. Key & Peele was Comedy Central trying, but they're corny. Americans are too easily offended now.
>>
>>70696297
But any stand up special is better than any Norm MacDonald stand up special
>>
>>70696390

this is also true. pretty bizarre
>>
>>70696366
you're pretty stupid m8
>>
>>70696218
His standup is funny, but its not groundbreaking. Most white people didn't start watching Chapelle until The Rick James Sketch. Also Richard Pyror and Eddie Murphy both had a ton of white fans who found their material funny, Pryor was really the trail blazer on that front.
>>
>>70696366
I feel like Sunny does a good job for what it's worth.
>>
>>70696442
Your face is pretty stupid.
>>
>>70696160

I agree. attells comedy is shock that subverts expectations well. but he'll get fixated on a handful of shock punchlines like midgets that'll start getting repetitive over the course of the set.

I'd still watch a new insomniac season though even though it'd be sad watching a middle aged man kill himself with cigarettes and alcoholism
>>
>>70696366
Here's a short list of just some of the things you'd have to ignore to come to that conclusion:

The internet
Genres
Styles of comedy
formats
>>
Reminder that Paul Mooney fucked up Dave Chapelle and guilted him into making his act shittier.
>>
>>70696453
>Most white people didn't start watching Chapelle until The Rick James Sketch

Everybody had seen the show before the 2nd season came on. The 1st season was the biggest selling DVD TV show ever back then, even bigger than Family Guy. Not everyone was watching Chappelle's first season as it was on, but by the time of the season 2 premiere, EVERYONE was familiar with the show.
>>
>>70696666
You can tell when statements are coming from a person's childhood when they throw around "everyone" like it's even remotely possible.
>>
>>70696535
Give me a TV show that was as funny and risky as Chappelle to have aired in the last 10 years. The internet doesn't count because any dipshit can upload anything. I'm talking sponsored content for cable television.

I'll wait.
>>
SOMETIMES U GOTTA TAKE THE PUSSY LIKE PEPE
>>
>>70696276
He had a mental breakdown during set thanks to Bill Burr according to some people.
>>
>>70695767
Bring the Pain is the funniest set of all time
>>
killing them softly is objectively his greatest work, but for what it's worth is almost as good and very creative, it's like oot and mm

a shame he lost his mind thanks to the black Illuminati
>>
>>70696666
Chapelle's show was barley renewed for a second season and was struggling with ratings until the Rick James show. If it wasn't for the Rick James show Comedy Central would of cancelled it and Dave Chapelle wouldn't be nearly as popular or recognizable as he is today. I remember back in high school the only people I could talk to about Chapelle's show were the two black chicks in my geology class
>>
>>70696706
I'm actually an oldfag who was already out of college when the show premiered.

The show was a success, but what made it a phenomenon was the hype leading up to the second season. And of course by saying EVERYONE I'm being hyperbolic.
>>
>>70695410
This, him and Bill Hicks just ranted at audiences
>>
>>70696737
supposedly according to him it was because he was starting to notice white people laughing for the wrong reasons right? I mean i don't think Chappelle would see Burr laughing and see it as him laughing in the sense of "look at that jigaboo acting a fool!" since burr worked on the show, and he's a comedian in his own right.

I feel like its more probable that the crew or those at CC were starting to look at it in that way moreso than someone like bill. Or it's just an excuse and it's really because he had problems with his co writer who happens to be white, and he just didn't want to go in the same direction and bailed knowing that he'd be fine the rest of his life.
>>
>>70695919
This is up there actually.
>>70695322
Chapelle had broad appeal to be sure but I don't even think comedians rate this anywhere near the top 20. Rock and Pryor both had better specials, among others. And that's the question you're asking really. Who had the best special. No one can know greatest stand-up performance ever. There's probably tons of people who've killed it better than Chapelle would in a ten minute set. Mitch Hedberg comes to mind. Patrice and Bill Burr too.
>>
>>70695410
george carlin was fucking hilarious when he was actually making jokes, the second he goes full political on stage i get bored and annoyed at the same time.
but his airplane jokes and the things we have in common make me laugh to this day.
>>
>>70695919
>fat, old, ugly man who dresses like a woman and flails about worshiping globalism and der jude

What a fantastic person
>>
>>70696855
I went to a taping with my older brother and Dave gave me his red jacket
I was so stoked and nobody knew who he was when I tried bragging about it in class
>>
>>70696882

I fucking hate Bill Hicks
>>
Comedy Central Rankings, which were compiled by other stand-ups

1. Richard Pryor
2. George Carlin
3. Lenny Bruce
4. Woody Allen
5. Chris Rock
6. Steve Martin
7. Rodney Dangerfield
8. Bill Cosby
9. Roseanne Barr
10. Eddie Murphy
43. Dave Chappelle

This list was made in 2005, after his best material was released

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls052672615/
>>
>>70697019
chris rock is a hack
his style is not a timeless one and his points are often so incorrect as to distract from any amount of comedy.
>>
>>70697167
Chris Rock is pretty insightful, I like Chapelle but he kinda recycles his material, thats why I stopped watching him
>>
>>70697116
Pleb

>[Someone in the crowd yells "Freebird"] Please quit yelling that. It's not funny, it's not clever; it's stupid, it's repetitive, why the fuck would you continue to yell that? I'm serious. [The same man yells something back] "Kevin Matthews"; okay, what does that mean, now? Now, what does it mean? I understand where it comes from, so do you. Now, what does it all mean? What is the culmination of yelling that? [The same man yells back again] Jimmy Shorts: he's not here, he's not gonna be here. Now what? Now where are we? We're here at you interrupting me again, you fucking idiot. That's you. You see, we are here at the same point again where you, the fucking peon masses, can once again ruin anyone who tries to do anything because you don't know how to do it on your own! That's where we're fucking at! Once again the useless wastes of fucking flesh that has ruined everything good in this goddamn world! That's where we're at! HITLER HAD THE RIGHT IDEA! HE WAS JUST AN UNDERACHIEVER! KILL 'EM ALL, ADOLF! ALL OF 'EM! JEW, MEXICAN, AMERICAN, WHITE, KILL 'EM ALL! START OVER! THE EXPERIMENT DIDN'T WORK! Rain 40 days, please fucking rain to wash these turds off my fucking life! Wash these human wastes of flesh and bones off this planet! I pray to you, God, to kill these fucking people! [Someone yells out "Freebird" once more] Freebird. [Falls back] And in the beginning there was the word, Freebird. And Freebird would be yelled throughout the centuries. Freebird, the mantra of the moron.
>>
>>70697000
By that time Chappell was being fed lies by that one black comedian guy, forgot his name. He pretty much planted the idea in Chappelle's head about white people laughing at him, not with him. He was already under pressured so seeing a white guy laugh during set got him to the breaking point. Apparently the sketch they were doing that time was about race stereotype fairies or something like that.
>>
A-HA

WHITE PEOPLE BE LIKE...

A-HA

>rubs hands together
Licks liips

AYO WE BE OPPRESSED LIKE

A-HA

>Looks for white audience approval

AYO THE SYSTEM IS AGAINST US

>Cashes in millions

AYO WE EARN LESS

A-HA WHIT PEOPLE BE LIKE

Fucking hell. I hate black people.

I'm an Irish catholic. I hate the 'we wuz oppressed' sentiment in my own people and I hate it nearly as much as American nigger faggot fucks.
>>
>>70697128
>woman in top 10

into the trash
>>
>>70697088
This isn't a political thing. Why so triggered? That was a great special. He went completely downhill from there but DTK was bretty gud.
>>70697167
This isn't a political thing. Why so triggered? Also see >>70697128
>>
>>70696314
>no jokes
>no humorous observations
>no entertaining stories
>just political commentary and outrage
Literally the worst thing to happen to standup
>>
Steven Wright when the leaves blow
>>
Norm and Chapelle are the only stand ups to ever make me laugh out loud. Ironically the movie they made together, Screwed, was terrible.
>>
>>70697239
That Paul Mooney guy?
>>
>>70695322
Maybey this?

https://youtu.be/oICHvlqApBc?t=3
>>
>>70697242

>catholic

Gross.
>>
>>70697128
>Chris Rock
>>
Louis CK first couple standup specials were pretty good.
>>
John Mulaney's New In Town is the best stand-up performance of the 2010s.

You disagree? Post a better one.
>>
>>70696314
Proto-edgy
>>
>>70697278
this is a terrible example of lenny bruce's standup. Late in his career after he'd been through like 7 court battles over drugs and obscenity and he'd been banned by almost every nightclub in america he got really preachy and unfunny. Early in his career he was god-tier but sadly there are very few recordings of it
>>
>>70697349
That one.
>>
>>70697315
I was just thinking of him. I haven't seen that one but his special from the 80's was crazy good.
>>
>>70695919
I came here to post this, you fucking doughnut.
>>
>>70695322

Does a roast count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJyJ485sC5w
>>
>>70696728
For starters, curb your enthusiasm was literally the 00's "answer" to Seinfeld.

Southpark was also a lot riskier than chapelle ever was.

The internet factor is how it basically killed broadcast comedy by being completely unrestricted.

But hey, keep being stupid if it suits you.
>>
>>70697244
Roseanne was a great stand-up, and had one of the best sitcoms of all time
>>
>>70695322
fuckers don't know Sam Kinison such a shame
>>
>>70697318
I just watched Screwed the other night, I thought it was hilarious but fucked up black humor is my thing. Dirty Work was good
>>
>>70695322
Bill Burr does black comedy and women better than black comedians
>>
>>70697128
>>70697252
>This list was made in 2005, after his best material was released

I like when people post their "proof" and invalidate it in the same post.
>>
>>70697483
John Mulaney is really funny, but his contemporaries really suck.
>>
>>70697244
Joan Rivers and Roseanne were both hilarious in their stand-up prime
>>
>>70697654
southpark is risky but not funny
curb is funny but not risky

you didn't really answer his question
>>
>>70697768
What does that have to do with Mulaney?
>>
>>70697688
He died too soon.
>>
>>70697799
Read the post he was responding to
Not a lot of competition
>>
>>70697671
Sitcom got shitty the last few seasons though most shows have that problem.
>>
>>70696728
Chappelle show wasn't really that risky, he didn't really face any backlash for his show except from a couple black celebs.
>>
Anything from Robin Williams, Billy Connolly, Mel Brooks or Mitch Hedberg.
>>
>>70695767
>chris rock
um
>>
>>70697901
That last season was a train wreck. I always thought Rosesanne was some lame lady show before I actually caught a few episodes and its a really great show, its not a typical sitcom, its not politically correct and a lot of episodes pushed the boundaries, some of which would still catch flak if released in the present day
>>
>>70697790
>curb
>not risky
it takes the exact risk seinfeld took, except to the next level. Seinfeld was proving a sitcom doesn't need a premise. Curb proved a sitcom doesn't even need writing.

Apart from trying (and failing) to offend people, there's no real risks that can be taken with the sitcom format.

None of this is relevant to the chapelle show anyway because it was a skit show, more akin to madTV or SNL.

So, yea, you're retarded, "hes" retarded, and I'm retarded for even replying to such a stupid fucking post as >>70696366, holy fucking shit.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.