[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"a beat."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: a beat.png (192 KB, 1644x1031) Image search: [Google]
a beat.png
192 KB, 1644x1031
I'm reading the script for No Country for Old Men and every once in a while during a conversation they write "A beat."

I couldn't find anything on it. Is this to keep track of the pace of the scene or something?
>>
simply googling "beat script" gives you your answer
>>
>>70692177
It's a noticeable verbal pause before the dialogue picks back up.
>>
>>70692177
a line or action which is a noticeable in the script which changes characters in someway
>>
>>70692177
It's called a beat outline. If you knew anything about screenwriting, you would know that.
>>
>>70692177
it's when you smack the viewer over the head with something obvious
>>
the coen bros like to type out when they do a stroke of their penis, aka are beating it, aka a beat, as they are writing, it's just a stupid in-joke of theirs
>>
It comes from theater. A beat is a pause, it indicates a moment is passing in silence.

It's essentially dramatic punctuation.

Ex.
INT. ELEVATOR
Character A and Character B stand across from one another. Their eyes meet.

CHARACTER A
Lovely weather we're having, huh?

Character B loudly farts. Character A turns to the door.

A beat.

CHARACTER B
Absolutely.
>>
>>70692177
The first draft for Let Me In was full of these, like thrice the usual amount. Cringey as fuck.
>>
>>70692177

I've always thought of it as a pause in the dialog or action, used for pacing, or dramatic effect which, at the minimum, lasts anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds, but may be longer, lasting as long as several minutes, depending upon the scripted content. I believe it is used whenever there is a need to indicate or imply that a character is thinking, conveying unspoken thoughts, has had an idea, realization, or epiphany of some kind, or as a transition from one scene to another.

But that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
>>
From what I gather by what you guys say here and comparing the "beat" moments of the script with that in the movie yeah it seems like a moment in a scene where a character doesn't do something specifically but something is still conveyed. What exactly that is should be informed by the context of the scene.

And yeah, they seem to be 2-5 seconds long. Dirk Diggler's long stare during the Jesse's Girl scene from Boogie Nights sure as hell isn't a beat.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.