[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we take a moment to appreciate how much of a modern feminist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: Battering as fuck.jpg (182 KB, 1865x1077) Image search: [Google]
Battering as fuck.jpg
182 KB, 1865x1077
Can we take a moment to appreciate how much of a modern feminist dream-come-true Mulan would be if it was released today? It ticks of all the boxes a handful of times. Women "don't need no man", is smarter than the guys, completes military training, is the hero, all the good stuff.

Don't get me wrong, it's great, but it's great exactly because it wasn't abject pandering to a flavour of the month political cause.

My point is: Why is Mulan so rarely mentioned when feminists discuss feminazi-approved Disney movies? When they say "Finally we have a disney movie that shows a stronk womyn for the little girls!" they usually skip over the fact that Mulan already did it. In 1998.
>>
>>70690542
Why don't they give credit to anime, which has been doing it for decades?
>>
Who cares?
>>
>>70690542
>Why is Mulan so rarely mentioned when feminists discuss feminazi-approved Disney movies?
You must not read very many feminist discussions of Disney films.

>Mulan already did it. In 1998.
"They did it once 18 years ago now they never have to do it again," is that how you think it works?

>Can we take a moment to appreciate
What's with the tumblr-style opening line?
>>
>>70690542
Wtf? I hate Mulan now,
>>
>>70690542
I'm a male and I love this movie
>>
If Mulan came out today there'd be an UPROAR about her being shown as inadequate in battle and needing to be trained BY A MAN! Her guardian angel dragon thing (haven't watched in awhile) is voiced BY A MAN! The lucky cricket? A BOY CRICKET

SJWs would literally find anything to be upset about, it's in their nature.
>>
>>70690670
Well, that's not quite as prevalent in the western markets where feminazis thrive

>>70690700
Is it not amusing that almost everything that could be wanted from a female hero, Mulan has?

>>70690714
>You must not read very many feminist discussions of Disney films.
Right back at you. Feminists constantly gloss over movies like Mulan when whining about a lack of stronk womyn.

>"They did it once 18 years ago now they never have to do it again," is that how you think it works?
>implying
I knew some goof would come with that. I simply never see Mulan even recognized as being exactly what anyone could ask for in this regard.

>What's with the tumblr-style opening line?
Yes, tumblr owns the "can we take a moment to..." line. Also, you must be a tumblrfag for noticing. I didn't know this was prevalent on tumblr.

>>70690738
Same
>>
>>70690542
>>70690670
Because it shows a woman who defies her gender role to help her ailing father. Along the course of the movie she learns strength, honor, hardwork, teamwork, and more of the world around her at large. When she finally succeeds, she goes back to her home to help her family, marry a man of higher rank and stature, and to eventually raise a loving, strong, supportive family.

NONE of this is what a modern feminist actually wants. They want the world handed to them on a silver platter.
>>
To be fair, she complains about women earlier in the movie, and only becomes friends with dudes.
>>
Because radfems believe success is a zero-sum game. Ergo women can't be successful as long as men are successful. They've redefined "progress" to be "tearing down men," and aren't really interested in anything else. If Mulan had been made in the 80s it would have been championed by feminists probably, since the 2nd wave was still in force at that point, though on the downtrend. Being made in the late 90s, when the third wave had taken hold of the movement, it was largely ignored and forgotten, because it did nothing to dismantle the patriarchy.
>>
>>70690827
this
>>
>>70690827
This.

OP's problem is he's still not aware that there is no pleasing them. Whedon learned it the hard way. They're just laying in wait for a chance to be offended, and if you don't offer them a good reason, they'll invent one.

>sure, it's supposed to be "empowering" but how empowering is it to watch a pretty girl with an hourglass figure that the handsome lead falls in love with do stuff?
>where's the ugly man-faced mulan? why does she have to be so skinny? why does she reciprocate his love? it's 1998, is it too much to ask for a LGBT princess? UGH. JUST UGH.
>>
Also, would Mulan be hated by anti-feminists if it was released today? Would we be fair in doing so, because it'd be pandering to feminists? Literally not a single change could be made, and it'd be the picture perfect feminist wet dream of a Disney movie.
>>
>>70690542
We must be swift as a coursing river
With all the force of a great typhoon
With all the force of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of, the moooooooooooooon!
>>
>>70691039
>tfw the guy characters in a Disney movie are better at singing than the female characters
>>
File: 1458871874777.png (592 KB, 637x464) Image search: [Google]
1458871874777.png
592 KB, 637x464
>>70690542
>Mulan has to train her ass off to compete with the men, she is not naturally gifted
>She has to use her wits to defeat the Huns, the actual swordfighting is left to her boyfriend
>Mulan does not actively spit on her role in society and show evrybody how dumb they are, it's more anxiety over feeling like she doesn't have a place in the world
>Mulan's father is a reasonable man looking out for his family
>The guy talk the other soldiers have about women is sexist, but still meant to be endearing, they are all good men and treat Mulan with respect when they find out she's a woman
Wew lad this would be a very different movie today
>>
>>70691012
By the mindless reactionaries? Probably. The more nuanced anti-feminist crowd probably wouldn't have any objections to it. But to the MRA zealots if it isn't considered heresy it's dangerously close to it. Not that anybody takes the MRA zealots seriously, they're basically a controlled opposition faction created by radfems.
>>
>appropriates Chinese culture
>white male lead
>the black actor plays an animal, not a person

Literal trash and would be shat on today. Director would apologize and Disney would pull the sequel or rework it entirely.
>>
>>70691192
>Wew lad this would be a very different movie today
But we're talking the normal feminazis, not those who consider you a rapist for opening the door for her. The run off the mill: "yeah, it's about equality yo xD You just have to accept that society is systemically wired to oppress women and everything is sexist in society especially movies and games xDDD". The Sarkeesian crowd. Crazy, but not literally insane. Those who think everything is "problematic" but not minutes away from grabbing a gun and shooting any male in sight.
>>
>>70691192
This desu
>>
>>70691297
You did a very poor job of describing what is supposedly a moderate.
>>
>>70691192
100% accurate. Its what makes this film great. Its feminist but not pandering
>>
>>70691385
But it's not a moderate, it's just a level below the absolute extreme.
>>
fucking hell i hate how 4chan is so fucking whiny about this shit since three years ago
>>
Some modern feminists dislike her for needing to utilize masculinity to solve her conflicts. Anita Sarkeesian even wrote her thesis on why Mulan is """"""problematic.""""""
>>
>>70690542
>don't need no man
>Needs her male general to properly train her
>marries him
>>
>men is training her
>nobody is even trying to rape her
>she is thin and isn't without trying the best
>>
>>70691461
>Anita Sarkeesian even wrote her thesis on why Mulan is """"""problematic.""""""
Huh. Sounds like bullshit, but since it's the internet I guess it's true
>>
She's not white. The social justice types are so vehement because they have a guilt complex about being naturally racist. Coupled with the fact cunts are never satisfied that's why.
>>
>>70691192
It feels like people forgot how to be good to each other
>>
>>70690542
I need to rewatch this. That was a solid movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiqmZLOaD8o

>>70691461
> Mulan is """"""problematic.""""""
How?
>>
>>70690855
Couldn't have said it better myself anon. The fact that you exist makes me not want to kill myself after seeing Face Book feminist shit.
>>
I distinctly remember my dad saying he thought Mulan was hot, when we went to see it as a family when i was a kid. My mum got angry at him and i didn't get why. Later, after they separated, many years later, i found out that he had an affair with a Taiwanese girl years before. So now, every time i see Mulan, all i can think of is my parents breakup. She is hot though.
>>
>>70690542
>modern feminist dream-come-true
Because Mulan is a gook. Feminism is for white women. They hate gookettes for stealing white men away from them. They hate black women for promoting whore imagery, they hate latinas because they act more feminine.
>>
>>70690542
Because she's forced to pretend to be a man to accomplish most of those things (at least till the end of the movie when the jig is up and no one fucking cares anyway). It's demeaning to feminists.
>>
They don't like it because she was fighting for her father.

Fucking power ballads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0FRd8BbRW4
>>
>>70690542
>modern feminist dream-come-true
lolno
>has to work for her success
>her own weakness is what's holding her back
>respects the male leader
>seeks his approval in a "prove herself" way, rather than "prove men are stoopid"
>can get physically harmed
Pretty much the opposite of what the audience targeted by modern feminist marysues expects.
>>
>>70690542
because feminazis are racist
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (5 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
5 KB, 204x247
>>70690542
> is smarter than the guys

Why do you feel intimidated by smart women, OP?
>>
>>70691736
feminism is code for female white privilege.
>>
>>70691675
>feminists hate black women
The reason is if came down to choosing in a conflict between a black man and a white woman, Black women will overwhelmingly choose the race over gender. That's why feminists will never trust black women.
>>
>>70690542
>Can we take a moment to appreciate how much of a modern feminist dream-come-true Mulan would be if it was released today?

It was that when it was released. The social tides we are seeing around us today have been in the works since the end of WWII. Cultural marxism, jews, illuminati, ect ect
>>
File: 1465399512603.jpg (61 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
1465399512603.jpg
61 KB, 500x496
I like how the first few minutes of the movie gives us a musical about how its super fucking fun and relaxing to be a woman with no responsibility besides looking good to raise morale in an era of vanity.

Then this silly cunts dad dies showcasing actual responsibility, fear, death. No man WANTS to be a man, its purely for protection. War drafts are-a-comin amd this dizzy bitch enlists as a soldier because shes realizes this. Honor for famuri' she didnt enlist to prove to "prove that she can hang with the guys" she did it out of respect

Then theres the training, its clearly shows incompetence in all the soldiers both man and woman but its different. The men are shown to be huge pussies while mulan is simply at a physical disadvantage. Theres a few bullshit scenes but for the most parts its fine, the fact that the movie shows her proving her worth without overblown "black widow taking down 250lb combat trained soldiers" pandering is astonishing.

and THEN this impossibly
dumb
stupid
bitch
Gets caught. Shes gets caught and reality sets in besides the rape.

Ending comes. shes doesnt even beat the main antagonist, hes blown up by a firework or some disney inspired shlock.

>"Women are ok I guess here have medal"
>"If you do again we kill you"

And then she gets dicked by the general in what I can only describe as birthing duty.
>>
>>70691461
>tries to break down gender roles
>uses popular ideas of masculinity
>a woman shouldn't have to be "masculine" at all

she literally creates things to be upset about, all this time and I finally realized she's just mad at herself
>>
>>70692066
>Honor for famuri' she didnt enlist to prove to "prove that she can hang with the guys" she did it out of respect
She did it to save her dad, and because she had nothing else to do, having dishonorred her famiri

Your characterization is completely fucked up.
>>
>>70691782
The guys were dumb shits
>>
File: 1460856685294.jpg (78 KB, 518x518) Image search: [Google]
1460856685294.jpg
78 KB, 518x518
>>70691652
>My mum got angry at him and i didn't get why. Later, after they separated, many years later, i found out that he had an affair with a Taiwanese girl years before
That's pretty funny
>>
>>70691192
>Even side characters display heroism like that wall guardsman who lit the beacon while defying the enemy leader to his face
>>
>>70690542
mulan looks like a girl who can drive a 18 wheeler, I like that in a woman.
>>
the real mulan died of smallpox after traveling to europe
>>
>>70691925

Probably cos white women are stuck up asses to them
>>
>>70690542
>Can we take a moment to appreciate how much of a modern feminist dream-come-true Mulan would be if it was released today?
A movie where a woman can only be appreciated if she pretends to be a man?
>>
File: 1465256047442.png (710 KB, 1057x1129) Image search: [Google]
1465256047442.png
710 KB, 1057x1129
>>70693317
The "real Mulan" was a 6th century poem
>>
>>70690738
This desu.

But really the reason it's overlooked is because at the end of the day she proves that as a woman she can be just as good as another man, but not that she's better. The men aren't better either.

They're equal. Feminists don't want equality.

Also cause Mulan is an honorary Chinaman and no one cares about them.
>>
File: 1440015603632.png (197 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
1440015603632.png
197 KB, 500x351
>>70690542
Feminists...
are just repulsed by anything good. Their existence is predicating on embracing whatever sucks ass and trying to prop it up and normalize it.

Because the type of women who become feminists are repugnant losers who accomplish nothing. they realize it's their one and only chance of achieving some kind of relevance to someone. It's a survival gimmick, like shitting your pants when a bear attacks you.
>>
HOW COULD I
MAKE A MAN
OUT OF YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
Friendly reminder that the more you hate something, the stronger it gets.
You stop making falseflagging threads any time anon, the world will improve for it.
>>
the story is the usual chinese dogshit where it's acceptable to step out of social norms so long as it's a sacrifice for a patriarchal figure. it's about as feminist as that chinese story about a man who kills and cooks his wife so his superior doesn't go hungry is pro-cannibalism

which is a shame because I like Mulan as a character and she deserved a better story
>>
Because no one gives a fuck about gooks, and they dont give a fuck about the rest of the world's problems. It's the niggers blowing everything out.
>>
>>70694313
This. SJWs couldn't give two shits about every other race. It's only if your "WHITE or BLACK" that matters to them.
>>
>>70692485
Yeah, in retrospect. At the time though, growing up with parents who i thought may just kill each other, wasn't very funny.
>>
>>70690542
>is weaker than the Hun
>has to defeat them with her feminine features rather than out doing the men's masculine features

Feminists would hate it, women are better in every field than men and feminine traits are just patriarchal fetishes.
>>
>>70690670
They don't want to give anything credit or solve any problems. That's not what feminism is about.

With video games right now, they're building the narrative that female characters have always been grossly "underrepresented" and/or have been only in "sexist" roles, even though that isn't true at all. But they need to create "problems" like this so they can then swoop in and "solve" them.
>>
>>70691422

It's "feminist" in that a woman chooses what she wants to do in life and accomplishes what she sets out to do. But at the same time she has to work hard to get it.
>>
>>70691652

That's sad, but I still laughed
>>
>>70691782

Her being the smartest among her friends mostly said a lot about what dumbasses her friends were.
>>
>>70693360

It's more than just that though. Most blacks live in poverty (compared to other races anyway), which means they grow up around each other. That builds a strong sense of "we're in this together", which is why they try so hard (and often fail) to keep their kids from getting into drugs and gangs. So of course they'll protect a black guy over a white women, they're just looking out for one of their own just like feminists do.

That being said some black girls take the opposite approach and only date white men because "i've been around enough Jamals in my life to know those niggas aint nuthin but trouble".
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.