[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we discuss the best and most underrated television series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: Deadwood_Season2.jpg (16 KB, 170x230) Image search: [Google]
Deadwood_Season2.jpg
16 KB, 170x230
Can we discuss the best and most underrated television series of all time?
>>
It's on Netflix, will watch it soon
>>
>>70680921
Neither of these are true. If you want to have a Deadwood thread, then just say so. No need for hyperbole.
>>
>>70680921
>>70680921
So, how is McShane there?
>>
>>70680967
what are the answers to both those categories then?
>>
>>70680921

SWEGEN
>>
>>70680967
>I suck cock by choice: the post
>>
Well, what about the movie to end the series HBO promised recently? It's really coming out? I did not see more news about that.
>>
I heard it ended prematurely. I don't like getting absorbed in series only to be disappointed by an unsatisfying finale.

Does it have a nice ending? I like closure.
>>
>>70681374
Yeah it's been greenlit, Should see a late 2017 release
>>
>>70681403
people have said this like every year since the series ended

is it actually happening?
>>
>>70681387
see>>70681374
>>
>>70680921
Best writing/dialogue of any show ever. Anyone thats disagrees sucks cock by choice.
>>
>>70681387
Then you're shit out of luck with this one.
>>
>>70680950
it is? are you sure? last i heard HBO owns it and they keep it on HBOGO, like most, if not all of their original content, in the states.
>>
>>70681387
>that guy who discounts 3 seasons of amazing television because the ending doesn't wrap everything up neatly

Don't do this man. I've seen people here decline to watch 6 seasons of amazing sopranos because of "hurrr cut to black". The journey is half the fun.

That and deadwood doesn't end in some big cliffhanger, it's a more "life goes on in deadwood"
>>
File: mood.gif (353 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
mood.gif
353 KB, 200x200
>>70680921
if I don't like westerns will I still like this?

I've finished a bunch of HBO shows already, but not Deadwood
>>
>>70681453
I agree. Anyone that disagrees is a San Francisco cocksucka
>>
>>70681387

The ending is a huge cliffhanger dissapointment

...but the climb there was AMAIZING
>>
>>70681473
Well, it is available in France (I just checked), but I'm pretty sure it's the only HBO show on Netflix.
>>
>tfw HBO was shitting out pure gold just a decade ago
Now it's all SJW-friendly shit for numales and manchildren, what went wrong? How do you go from Milch, Simon and Chase to GoT, Dunham and Lindelof?
>>
>>70681494
I don't need everything to be wrapped up nice with every question answered. I just need to see the completion of a character arc, I need to see the characters fleshed out and see them change as people or some shit.

And yes, that involves a certain amount of closure.
>>
>>70681463
damn just started watching this some time ago. near the end of second season and now i randomly hear that there's no ending.

Should have seen it coming when i saw that there were only 3 seasons and the show seems pretty good so far.
>>
>>70681494
i'm actually quite fond of the way the series concluded, dangling plot lines and all. that amazing final scene with Al on his knees washing/scrubbing blood off the floor while uttering one of the best lines that sums up the show, "He wants me to tell him something pretty," is frankly stellar.
>>
>>70681649
Deadwood is too advanced for you then.
>>
>>70681649
You'll get that and more don't worry. Like another anon said, what you might not get in perfect closure you'll get in probably the best dialogue of any tv show made
>>
>>70681636
>Lindelof

The Leftovers is a great show, don't fucking compare it to the other two
>>
>>70680921
Maybe if it ended after Season 1. Season 2 was fucking trash.
>>
>>70681636
the golden age of HBO is over and replaced by no one. We'll never go year after year of amazing season of amazing season of a bunch of different HBO shows.
>>
>>70681724
The Leftovers doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same thread as Deadwood and fuck yourself for naming it.
>>
File: MajorBriggs.png (196 KB, 499x447) Image search: [Google]
MajorBriggs.png
196 KB, 499x447
>>70681636
>shitting on the Leftovers
>>
>Start calling Asian friends celestials

Goddamn this fucking show was good
>>
>>70681724
The leftovers is melodramatic pseudo intellectual nonsense appealing to edgy teenagers by appearing superficially "deep". More of an embarrassment than lost
>>
>>70681830
>>70681769

Wrong, wrong, wrong
>>
>>70681771
>Thinking a show automatically has depth because it's on HBO
>>
>>70680921
>28 Emmy noms over 36 episodes
>underrated

I see you didn't watch the show while it aired. Deadwood was well appreciated in its time as the TV-kino it was.
>>
File: 1458066072379.gif (3 MB, 292x191) Image search: [Google]
1458066072379.gif
3 MB, 292x191
>>70681830
Nice opinion bro
Here a shovel dog for u
>>
>>70681874
Typical braindead response of the average low iq lindelof fan. A thread for a show that's far above your intellect is not for you
>>
>>70681874
Deadwood deals with the themes that The Leftovers purports to tackle with more insight and elegant realism in any given scene than the latter has done over the course of two seasons.
>>
>>70681922
>>70681771
>>70681874
A perfect representation of the nu-hbo audience that have given rise to GoT, leftovers, Dunham shit
>>
Anybody tried watching NYPD Blue just for Based Milch?

I'm worried the writing is just banal and formulaic cop case of the week, but he still won a shitload of Emmies
>>
File: netflix deadwood.png (746 KB, 1323x573) Image search: [Google]
netflix deadwood.png
746 KB, 1323x573
>>70681610
Not in America.
>>
Nimble as a forest creature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaFbMbyoqek
>>
>>70681979
>>70681972
>>70681929

Damn, Deadwood fans are even more conceited than The Sopranos's

Deadwood has stellar dialogue and production values with the best best current actors. That still doesn't put it in the top 3 of greatest shows, and the disparity between it and The Leftovers is nowhere near as huge as you fanbois believe. By all means keep adoring the show, but it must be stated for the record.

Were you immediately triggered by 'Lindelof' or you watched a decent amount of episodes?
>>
>>70682088
And yet you still refuse to name what are, in your opinion, the 3 greatest shows.
>>
>>70682088
For the record you are saying nothing of substance, just like The Leftovers.
>>
File: dead.png (506 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
dead.png
506 KB, 1280x1024
Great opening theme, great opening boobs.
>>
>>70682088
...I actually like the Leftovers, but you acting like there ISN'T a huge disparity is just fucking stupid. As was previously mentioned, in 3 seasons Deadwood average 10 emmy nods a season. Leftovers is currently at 0 starting their third. Critically, they're not even comparable. And while both shows are using literal whos?, Deadwood turned their leads into names. And there's no way you can compare writers. The guy who wrote Star Trek Into Darkness and World War Z against David fucking Milch, the man who has been winning emmies for his writing since the 1980's and Hill Street Blues? C'mon.
>>
File: slivowicz.png (232 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
slivowicz.png
232 KB, 500x375
>>70681453
milchs writing on nypd blue was as good at times
>>
>>70681979
>Dunham
Like Sex in the City wasnt on HBO during your so called golden age
>>
>>70682313
agreed. i tried watching the Leftovers but quit after the third or fourth episode b/c it simply did not appeal to me. the writing just wasn't that good. while Milch has never really had a bad show, has he? well, badly written. i devoured Luck and was very disappointed when it was canceled. i put off watching John From Cincinnati for a while and when i did finally see it was impressed with the absurd comedy of it. good stuff.
>>
>>70681374
>>70681403
from this week:

McShane played Al Swearengen, owner of the Gem Saloon, in the series. Over the years, the actor has been asked time and time again about the Deadwood movie. McShane, who’s currently in this season of Game of Thrones, gave a brief but promising update to Entertainment Weekly, saying that he’s enthusiastic about potentially returning to the role and that Milch is writing the script at the moment:

Of course I’d love to reprise that. How could one not, when it was snatched away rather unjustly by a combination of forces we’ll never know about – hubris or money or whatever. But [Deadwood] certainly finished too early. At the time, most of us working on the show were incredulous. It’s been announced by HBO so it’s not like I’m saying it. I know for a fact David is working on the script. It’s been 10 years since it finished. [Star Timothy Olyphant’s] free from Justified.

I’m hoping they’ll make the deal soon, for two or four hours, whatever they decide on. It was a very close knit group of actors on it. We got along very well. I’m sure David will decide to set it 10 years later, after the great fire or whatever happened in Deadwood. They haven’t done the deal yet. They [were planning] to do it late this year or early next year.
>>
>>70682141
Game of thrones, breaking bad and the leftovers presumably
>>
>>70682496
Whether McShane means a “deal” between HBO and Milch or shooting the Deadwood movie later this year or early next year is unclear. If he means the plan to start filming in late-2016 or early-2017 was scrapped, the delay possibly could have been caused by Milch’s other project, Shadow Country, an adaptation of Peter Matthiessen’s novel, which will star Jeff Bridges. As HBO said, they’re ready to go when Milch is. Before we–fingers crossed–see McShane play the beautifully foul-mouthed Al Swearengen again, we’ll him next year in John Wick 2 and Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods.
>>
>>70681403
>>70681428
HBO have commissioned Milch to write a screenplay, which he's currently working on. There's been no confirmation about anything beyond that yet.
>>
I can't watch this or firefly

I just can't go in to a show knowing I'll never get a proper ending, it feels like a waste of time. How to get over my autismo?
>>
>>70682419
Except it wasn't. Sex and the City predated the Golden Age and was ramping toward its end by the time most of the good stuff came on.

HBO's Golden Age was approximately 2000-2007. During that time we got The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, etc.

Before that were the kinda okay but more hit n' miss series like Sex and the City, Oz, Spawn, etc.

After the Golden Age was True Blood, Girls, Game of Thrones, etc.
>>
>>70682618
See >>70681494
Just get your shit together and watch it.
>>
>>70682520
>>70682575
Milch was also commissioned to write a screenplay adaptation of Shadow Country, by Peter Matthiessen, which is presumably finished or will be soon. plus there's the Faulkner stuff that rarely gets mentioned. i wonder if that's still a go or what?
>>
>>70682618
Firefly concluded with serenity. Deadwood was/is too good to end without closure. A film concluding the series is a certainty
>>
>>70681636

A network simply can't crank out shows like rome, deadwood, sopranos, the wire, etc. forever. Quality always declines
>>
>>70682663
Curb & The Wire were shit tho.
>>
>>70683146

Stop
>>
>>70683146
>i didnt like it so it was shit

Well, by any other metric than your faggoty-ass opinion, they were good.
>>
File: 1383835586040.jpg (148 KB, 797x515) Image search: [Google]
1383835586040.jpg
148 KB, 797x515
>>70683194
What metric is there, other than opinions?
>>
>>70681608
t. reddito
>>
One of the rare shows that were at least a little bit historically accurate regarding female armpit hair.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.