[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In the book: >Aragorn said naught in answer, but he took the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: rotk2089[1].jpg (18 KB, 525x221) Image search: [Google]
rotk2089[1].jpg
18 KB, 525x221
In the book:
>Aragorn said naught in answer, but he took the other’s eye and held it, and for a moment they strove thus; but soon, though Aragorn did not stir nor move hand to weapon, the other quailed and gave back as if menaced with a blow.

In the movie
>Aragorn spergs out and chops the guys head off while screaming

This is exactly where Hackson started to crack and expose himself as the fraud who understands none of Tolkien's literature and would later on go to direct The Hobbit fanfiction trilogy. Aragorn is a wise king, calm, in control, centered. Throughout the books he displays diplomacy, and calm negotiating skills you'd expect from a King or statesman. This was completely out of character for Aragorn to kill an ambassador the way ISIS or something would. Well-fucking-done Hackson.
>>
>>70673355
orks don't have ambassordors you fucking idiot
>>
>>70673355

meh
>>
In the book:
>Pipeweed is tobacco
In the movie
>Pipeweed is LSD
>>
>>70673377
The mouth of Sauron was a numenorean.
>>
>>70673355

It could have been so much worse. There was a deleted scene where Aragorn actually fought Sauron.
>>
> being this autistic
>>
>>70673355
>This is exactly where Hackson started to crack
he fucked up a lot of things before that
>>
>>70673418
Man I forgot about that. Fucking hackson

also

in the book:
>The Eye of Sauron is a euphemism for the willpower of Sauron and his ability to look into the hearts of men and know their deepest desires and weaknesses

In the movie:
>Nope, its literally a fucking giant eye
>>
>>70673392
>Movie
>Pipeweed LSD

Son if you don't realize movie pipeweed is basically weed you haven't watched the extended cuts. Merry and pippin practically spend 25% disclaimer; might be an exaggeration of the movie being high and having munchies

>That scene with merry and pippin raiding Isengards food storage while smoking a boek
>Also eating a shitload of elven bread while that would make "a grown man full after one bite"
>>
>>70673355

How do you want your deleted scenes senpai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7azdH5Is5C8
>>
>>70673464

Good luck filming a euphemism you gigantic cuck
>>
>>70673473
boek=bowl

>>70673464
That wasnt one of the worst things imo. In movies it's basically impossible to let the audience perceive a threat while said threat is "invisible". Screen media needs a visual representation of the ultimate villain.
>>
>>70673552
>That wasnt one of the worst things imo. In movies it's basically impossible to let the audience perceive a threat while said threat is "invisible". Screen media needs a visual representation of the ultimate villain.

The entire book managed to succeed without having the title character appear physically, don't know why the movie needs it. In any case, Sauron had an actual physical body during the war of the ring, its mentioned several times. Denethor even plans to assassinate Sauron at one point. But Sauron definitely has a physical body.
>>
>>70673355
I remember an old forum poster from the time saying Viggo was perfectly cast as Strider but never quite cut it as Aragorn.

It's funny he's the movies greatest strengths but one of it's weaknesses too with his warping accent etc.
>>
>>70673355
>Aragorn said naught in answer, but he took the other’s eye and held it, and for a moment they strove thus; but soon, though Aragorn did not stir nor move hand to weapon, the other quailed and gave back as if menaced with a blow.

I fucking hate the way Tolkien writes. I can't get through hundreds of pages of this shit. It's a fucking chore.
>>
>>70673592
Because it's a fucking movie you stupid cuckold.
>>
>>70673675
stupid is as stupid does

not Tolkiens fault
>>
>>70673592
Because you can't spend hundreds of lines of text (screentime) in spelling out how and why the audience should fear the 'evil' entity.. This is perfectly possible and easy when writing a book but the whole "villain you can't see" thing has literally never worked on screen anon.
>>
>>70673675
That's because Tolkein's writing is shit. Great ideas, poor execution. Guy doesn't know when to shut up about mundane and uninteresting details.
>>
>>70674652
t . redditor
>>
>>70674439
kys
>>
>>70674712
Sure thing princess.
>>
>>70674891
Counter example pls
>>
>>70673355

>Villain is called Saruon
>Secondary villain is called Saruon Man

BRAVO HACKSO
>>
>>70674439
You don't need hundred of lines, but you could give someone like Elrond or Gandalf or whoever enough lines to make Sauron seem like a legitimate threat without actually being seen. It might even work better: they eye isn't actually that threatening, and fear of the unknown is a pretty neat thing.
>>
File: SflTr8T1.jpg (95 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
SflTr8T1.jpg
95 KB, 612x612
>>70673518
i didn't need this
>>
>>70673552
I don't even care about LotR in book of movie form, but surely just a shot of that eye in a black void or otherworldly location would be better, you would need to rely on consistent musical ques or visual effects to signify his spooooky evil aura occasionally. It's better than a big dumb evil lighthouse, isn't it?
>>
>>70673552

> implying the threat didn't seem much greater when it was 'invisible' rather than a literal lighthouse
>>
File: fBFUW9P.gif (2 MB, 615x413) Image search: [Google]
fBFUW9P.gif
2 MB, 615x413
>>70673518
>>
>>70676614
Those 3 movies were such a shit show.
>>
File: wake me up.jpg (360 KB, 960x1089) Image search: [Google]
wake me up.jpg
360 KB, 960x1089
>>70673518
what in the ever loving fuck
>>
>>70674439
I was going to say Voldemort was a menacing off screen villain for the first couple of harry potter movies, but you do sort of see him so it doesnt really count i guess
>>
in the behind the scenes footage it states that viggo made a lot of suggestions in order to turn confident, assured book aragorn into weary and unsure movie aragorn

this is in part to instill the character with some level of "a heroes journey" so that in fellowship he is seen resisting his birthright and then in return claiming it. in contrast book aragorn always wants to be king so he can claim arwen and proudly bares anduril into battle from the getgo.
>>
Peter Jackson isn't a great director, in fact he's quite a bad one. But the LOTR film trilogy is a very good action movie trilogy, the members compensate for the many stupid and / or clumsily mishandled scenes.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.