[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fullmetal Alchemist Live Action
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: fullmetal-01.jpg (54 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
fullmetal-01.jpg
54 KB, 800x600
They are making a movie but live action anime looks weird as fuck. Japanese men wearing stupid wigs. Why do japanese people make manga with clearly european characters? Their live actions and cosplays look mostly ridiculous. Look at this j-pop singer Edward Elric. I'm not kidding, the "actor" is an j-pop singer.
>>
>>70660176
So fucking what, they ruined Motoko by casting a white actress, it's only fair they ruin this by casting an Asian actor.
>>
>>70660207
>scarlett johansson
>white

>the major
>asian

yikes city
>>
>>70660207
It's laughable how people get so offended by an white actor being cast to play a character that looks white but when an asian gets cast to play a character that is clearly white nobody says anything just because the source material is asian.

That's like having a manga with a black protagonist and casting a japanese guy with black face to play the role and nobody says anything.
>>
Because they're too cheap to hire non-natives. Don't read too into it, it's the same with every live action anime adaption. For some reason they're trying spin this into an anti-whitewashing gimmick, but it's just to generate discussion. I've never seen a Japanese produced live action anime adaption that had a single non-native actor or actress.
>>
File: 1442968118149.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1442968118149.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>>70660176
>The garbage wig
>That horrendous $5 cosplay
>The fact that Edward isn't even meant to be Asian
>SJWs will simply write it off as "Oh well they can because white people did it all the timeback then , I mean have you seen the Last Samarai???"
Hoping this movie bombs Japan harder than any of our nukes did
>>
>>70660252
>ended by an white actor being cast to play a character that looks white but when an asian gets cast to play a character that is clearly white nobody says anything just because the source material is asian

Really, cause all I see is people getting offended that an Asian actor is being cast for a """"white"""" role, but are fine with a white Jewish actress being cast for someone named Motoko Kusanagi who lives in Tokyo.

Also Japs don't draw their characters to look white, they draw them racially neutral. White people self insert and assume they are white because they assume white is neutral, Asians self insert and assume they are Asian. Motoko is however clearly a Japanese name.
>>
File: ed-y-al.jpg (618 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
ed-y-al.jpg
618 KB, 1280x800
Look at these japanese kids.
>>
File: 1464832182737.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
1464832182737.png
74 KB, 300x256
>>70660323
why are you so triggered by an asian playing the role of an asian character from an asian cartoon by an asian production?
>>
File: lanfan.jpg (19 KB, 236x300) Image search: [Google]
lanfan.jpg
19 KB, 236x300
>>70660391
>White people self insert and assume they are white because they assume white is neutral

Using FMA as an example, this is a chinese character. Look at her eyes. They KNOW how to draw asians. They do it when they want to. Everybody in FMA is clearly white or middle-eastern, until that other country that I forgot the name is introduced and everyone from there are based on chinese people.

They are not drawing neutral. There is no such thing as neutral unless you're drawing stick men. Would you say Motoko is black or middle-eastern? They clearly know how to draw asians, but they just don't.
>>
>>70660323
>Japanese live action anime adaption
>bombing because the races were wrong
See: Attack on Titan
>>
>>70660463
>an asian playing the role of an asian character
someone doesn't know shit about FMA, its literally set in a pseudo parallel world germany
>>
File: lanfanandling.jpg (60 KB, 736x414) Image search: [Google]
lanfanandling.jpg
60 KB, 736x414
>>70660534
Here's Lan Fang with Ling. Both are "chinese".

When japanese portray themselves they use white-looking characters but when they portray other asians they use asian models. And no, I'm not saying the Elric family is japanese. They are european. I'm talking about anime/manga in general.
>>
File: 1398077781-0.jpg (27 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
1398077781-0.jpg
27 KB, 600x337
The Japanese make their characters look white on purpose. Hell, they try to make themselves look white on purpose.
>>
>>70660463

Because full metal is european based...
>>
>>70660391
Amestris is clearly based off Germany , Ishval the Middle East, Xing the far east, etc. I see a lot of anime where there are characters resembling people of European descent. Some manga like FMA, Attack on Titan, Durarara, and Shaman King are blatant with ethnicity. I don't know if the creator of FMA was involved with Conqueror of Shambala at all but that should give you more insight into ethnicities in FMA. Adaptations always have this problem though. Gits will make everyone white to appeal to a western audience and same for this FMA to appeal to an Asian audience. Here in America I have even had to suffer remakes of British tv like our cultures are vastly different or something.
>>
>People still getting triggered by a Japanese studio producing a Japanese movie based on a Japanese series for a Japanese audience
You think they'd hire foreign actors with whatever shitty budget they have? Look at that fucking costume he's wearing, it's barely cosplay tier.

They make so many shitty live action adaptations all the time (see Death Note with like 3 movies and a tv show), you'd think people would be over it by now.

Chances are it won't even leave Japan or it will have some tiny release.
>>
>>70660176
Why is it called live action when it isn't live, it's recorded. When I go to see Live Nude Girls, I'm not looking at recordings of the girls dancing.
>>
>>70660856
>>70660703
>>70660631
>Amestris is clearly based off Germany/Europe
>ghost in the shell set in some mythical land called "Tokyo" is clearly not based in Japan
>>
>>70661170
Nobody is arguing about that. People are saying japanese draw themselves as white. Which is the case for GITS.
>>
Just watch FMA: Brotherhood

Thank me later
>>
>>70661000

Because producers know fuck all about making a good product.

I can't wait to see what the alchemy will look like yes I can wait
>>
>>70661170

Ghost in the shell has the main character in a white android body the characters mind is asian but her body is caucasian.
>>
>>70661203
Except they don't, they draw their characters as Japanese, white people self insert and assume that White is default unless the characters have explicitly slanty eyes and yellow skin.
>>
>>70660654
in what world do you think the person on the right looks white / european / caucasian ???
>>
>>70661255
good you have basic reading comprehension skills

the real trick now is trying to convey this to SJWs
>>
>>70660176
White actors demand more than the movie's budget or they won't take the part.
>>
>>70661341

For some reason most weebs don't even understand this yet. Remember how many threads were on /tv/ when the first pictures came out?

It's what's funny about this thread to me, everyone is upset about fullmetal not being whites (as they should be) but they are upset that GitS has a white (which it should) fucking hilarious and rage inducing.
>>
White people don't speak Japanese and the ones that do aren't a big enough draw to the average Japanese audience. That's why they fill their movies and shows with idols who can't act cause that's what makes money. It's not that deep.
>>
>>70661477
I don't understand why people can't seem to grasp this. For some reason both "sides" take this movie and GitS as some sort of personal attack on them.
>>
I just got done finishing brotherhood and feel sad. What are some other western-themed anime that you guys would recommend?
>>
File: garo.png (211 KB, 624x350) Image search: [Google]
garo.png
211 KB, 624x350
>>70660176
because there isn't that many non-asian actors.

literally half the actors would be played by Thane Camus.
>>
It's a jap film made for japs. fuck you
>>
>>70661838
Trigun and Desert Punk are cool.
>>
>>70661838
>>70662017
Garo? I mean, it has knights.
>>
I'm still cautiously optimistic. A lot of these manga/anime adaptations have gotten pretty good in recent years. The Rurouni Kenshin movies were pretty killer, for instance.

The simple fact is that white folks aren't terribly marketable over there. Especially if they're producing movies in-house.

Fuck, they don't even like Rinko Kikuchi over there since she didn't get famous the "right" way (IE: Doing the idol routine).
>>
>>70660275

literally just this. you don't think they'd make full Metal alchemist with Chris evans if they had the budget? of course they'd take a list white talent, but all they have on the island are jpop stars. they're only good actor was ken Watanabe and he left that nuclear wastehole behind
>>
>>70662298

They've still got Tadanobu Asano. And Takeshi Kitano. Although they do both Hollywood and Japanese films.
>>
>>70662298
>of course they'd take a list white talent

If Japanese companies were actually interested in making $$$ and expanding their movies to countries outside of Japan, they would cast Chinese actors / making it an pan-Asian production. This way to can increase the budgets for these movies instead of it being low budget shit-fests. This is what Korea is doing to great effect in recent years.

But Japanese live-action movie makers arent and are content to letting their movie industry die a slow death.
>>
>>70660176
So? It's their IP they can do whatever they want.
Only good movie adaptatiosn of manga i saw was Liar Game and Kenshin anyway.
>>
>>70661291

but that's literally observable false. creating a character with round blue eyes, pale skin blonde hair and European facial structure is simply visibly different from a character with a moon face and slant eyes. we know japs can tell the difference because they sometimes draw asian characters with stereotypical features--usually creepy old jap businessmen and the like. we also know that japs know the difference because they spend millions of dollars on westernizing cosmetic surgeries and items, like the clamps they stick in their eyelids to raise them. you weeaboo dipshit
>>
>>70660537
Wrong race was least of that shit problems.
>>
>>70660176
Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't work as anything but a cartoonish serial. The characters are too ridiculous and the plot too long to make a movie out of. I don't understand why Japan even tries to make these D-grade adaptations when they're 100% guaranteed to be shit and make far less than the investment is worth.
Even Attack on Titan, a two parter of a massively popular franchise, hardly scraped past its budget if we imagine the marketing involved.
Is it nationalism? Why do these movies exist?
>>
>shonenshit
>written by a woman
Pass.
>>
This looks like shit

The only live action adap ive seen is Nodame cantabile. Others are garbage
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.