[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
True Detective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: TrueDetectiveDVDCover.jpg (36 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
TrueDetectiveDVDCover.jpg
36 KB, 250x350
Okay so obviously I'm late to the party but I just watched the whole first season in just over 24 hours and holy fuck what a ride

I didn't like the very ending though, at the hospital.

Starting season 2 tomorrow night, I know it's not as hyped but whatever
>>
it's objectively worse than s1 but I liked it better
>>
>>70648649
what did you think of McConaughey?
>>
>>70648649
I just finished this too OP. I loved it.

>>70648703
He was awesome.
>>
>>70648649
>I didn't like the very ending though, at the hospital.
Why not?
>>
>>70648833
Not OP but I liked it personally but the fact that Rust didn't die makes me sad I won't be seeing more of him. I haven't started season 2 yet but as I understand it he's not in it, totally different cast and different place right?
>>
>>70649143
yep, completely different story with different characters in a different setting, nothing to do with the 1st season at all
>>
>>70649143
Yeah but his charcter arc was finished. It would've been weird seeing him in another season
>>
>>70648703
Brilliant. He's got this crazy ability to just disappear as an actor, it's amazing

>>70648833
The whole show was dark, and broody, and even the protagonists were heavily flawed, then they get a happy ending and the cold, detached guy who just wants to die and is vehemently atheist finds some sort of spiritual connection and gets to live to reflect on it. They even wander off together as friends, despite spending the whole show up until then hating each other.

Honestly with situations like that there's only a handful of outcomes, and I think killing any of them off or ending abruptly would have also annoyed me. I don't know ow what I wanted, but the ending we got just seems too eager to please.
>>
>>70649243
They kinda flipped their roles for the finale, Marty was always kind of "the dumb one" and Rust pretty much found all the clues/put stuff together but at the end it was Marty who realized the house had been recently painted. Having Rust have an emotional breakdown and find "god" was just another part of that reversal.

I didn't have a problem with it. Life is scary and weird no matter what you believe or how much you think you've got it all figured out, even someone like Rust is not immune to that. He tried to be but he never really was.
>>
>>70648703
He never got his files back
>>
Should I watch season 2? How bad is it?
>>
>>70650302
Its better than the vast majority of TV but they trued to have to much going on at once and the characters suffered for it.
>>
>I know it's not as hyped but whatever

It's trash. It's not even the same show.

Just skip the second season OP. It was so bad they cancelled the show because of it.
>>
>>70650423
I don't want to taint my memory of this pure TV kino. Is it better to just leave it be or watch season 2?
>>
>>70648649
season 2 is ok but it's worth a watch for Ray.
>>
>>70650508

The show's an anthology, no direct connection between seasons except that it involves crime and unhappy

If that's still somehow enough to taint your memory of season 1 then you deserve to have it tainted
>>
>>70650508
dont watch it
>>
>>70650302
It's pretty bad. Apologists will say it's better than other shows, or ok for what it is, or misjudged because it's compared to season 1; in reality it's just mediocre at best. Everything you probably loved about the first season isn't there, instead it's just miserablism without any of the heart of S1, characters that only exist to show you how broken they are, existential themes replaced with cynical "the system is broken and you're fucked" shit.

The last one really bothered me. The tiny upswing at the end of S1, "the light is winning" says it's worth trying and fighting an uphill battle for good even if you might not change anything. S2 revels in beating down these characters and showing how they're fucked no matter what they do, with some open ended coda saying it might work out. I just hate cynicism about the world like that. It's so easy to say things are bad and that you can't do anything about it. Rust thought that and by the end was proven wrong, and I think that's the more worthy statement
>>
>>70650476

>They cancelled the show

HBO has said they're game for S3 when and if the writer decides to return.

Personally, I loved S2. S1 definitely had the lightning-in-a-bottle effect working for it, but I enjoyed S2 for everything it was in its own right.
>>
>>70650302
it was a disappointing follow-up. some people around here like it, i found it dull and lifeless. only 2 or 3 scenes stand out and even those don't hold a candle to the first season. the acting was good, directing mediocre, and writing bad.

anyways, by all means watch it and let us know what you think.
>>
>>70650732

>the more worthy statement

It's precisely due to season 1's conclusion that I thought season 2's was fitting. Both seasons dealt in smaller themes of fatherhood, legacy, familial loss, all wrapped under the larger blankets of evil and corruption, and what made the two seasons work as a pair is their diverging answers to the same dillema.

I loved S1's ending. I thought S2 was a commendable counter-point to balance out the scale.
>>
>>70650796
I don't have a problem with a story going dark and saying things are bad, but S2 only operated in one mode and seemed intent on only saying one thing. I just think blanket cynicism like that is way too common nowadays to really feel compelled by such a heavy handed ending like the one in True Detective. There was no counterpoint to it. The whole thing was laid on so thick that I was waiting for their "tragic" ends by episode 3.
>>
Do any of the actors in season 2 compare to McConaughey's performance?
>>
>>70651315

Colin Farrel as Ray is the only noteworthy acting in the season, but he utterly kills it.
>>
>>70652732
So Vaughn is shit? Figured he would be.

I'm gonna watch it at some point I'm sure. Do they keep the vaugely Lovecraftian feel of season 1? That made it more than just a cop show you know I liked it.
>>
>>70650508
Honestly, S2 is worth watching. It's not great and there's a lot of stuff about it that's bad, like some laugh-out-loud ridiculous dialogue. Don't go out of your way, but if you're stuck for something to watch at some point, have it on your list.

Wouldn't recommend jumping into it on the back of S1, the contrast will be all the harsher. At least give it some time.
>>
>>70652732
I thought McAdams was at least decent. That may just be my boner talking, though.
>>
>>70648649

Even if Season 2 were neck and neck with 1 in terms of quality. Season 1 has the Daddario titties tiebreaker.
>>
>>70650302
Four main characters and a dozen side characters crammed into a story meant for 2-3 mains and 4-6 side chars.
>>
>>70652868
Its legitimately the best serious role he's ever done, but the show is just too crammed with filler and nonsense.
>>
Who do you want in season 3?

Personal wishlist
Christian Bale
Tom Hardy
Adian Gillian
>>
>>70653082
directed by chris nolan?
>>
>>70653243
OMG that would be prefect!

>this plane is a flat circle
>>
>>70653082
I'm sure you're just saying hypothetically, but just in case you should know S2 was such a plane crash they shitcanned the idea of S3
It's dead
>>
>I don't need you mowing my lawn.

What did he mean by this? Does he like overgrown grass?
>>
>>70653344
The lawn was a metaphor for Marty's involvement in Carcosa and the missing kids.

Holy shit how stupid are you? It was him the whole time!
>>
File: Time is a phat ass.png (732 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Time is a phat ass.png
732 KB, 1366x768
>>70648649

If you enjoyed Rust's pessimistic ruminations you should go to the source and read some Thomas Ligotti.

hnnnnnnnnnnnng
>>
>>70653082
>she say she uh got some PLAYAN
>tawgginboud she gawn become a BIG GUY
>if you get the opportunity you should probably feel in charge
>when time is a flat circle... then you have my permission to die
>what's that, Nietzsche no, I came back to stop you
>my files are YAWS, take what you will, none shall interfere
>you are a stranger to yourself, and yet his flightplan lists you

Seriously, though: Donald and Kiefer Sutherland. Donald as the retired sheriff of some middling township, straight arrow, good guy. Chief Keef as his son who inherited the gig, grew up in the biz, but always abused the privilege being the sheriff's son afforded him. Presides over the township's transition to a small city because of some local resource (doesn't really matter what). Corrupt as fuck. Some unknown as Chief Keef's son who's a straight-arrow like Grandpa but is a state's attorney complete with faggoty white suit, ends up taking Keef down.
>>
>>70653862

that shit sounds pretty good
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.