[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Andrei Rublev
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: andy ruby.jpg (15 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
andy ruby.jpg
15 KB, 448x252
Whats the best home version of Andrei Rublev?

I read somewhere that film is supposed to overwhelm your senses, and the wide camera sweeps etc. were designed with cinema screens in mind. But most re-releases on video or DVD really compresses the shots.

and theres also the issue of which cut to choose

Apparently Tarkovsky says that the 186 minute is the best, but i`m not sure what he's referring to.

The Criterion Collection boasts the full 205 minutes

I know that you all want to go back to baneposting, but are there any real film nerds that can help me out?
>>
>>70633517
russian blu-ray looks nice
but they have released only a 186 minute version
extended version however will not "overwhelm your senses"
most important thing is to get a proper subtitles for the flick
>>
ok so here is what i`ve gathered so far

the best two versions are the Criterion and Ruscico releases

Criterion
>Full 205 minutes, with all violence/nudity in full glory
>Good extra features
>Some poor letterboxing

Ruscico
>Uses some alternate takes for short shots, also alternate sound effects for some parts
>186 minute version
>some violence is removed
>"anamorphic"
>apparently MUCH better quality
>shitloads more extra features

I think i`ll go for the Ruscico version, its cheaper anyways.
>>
>>70633517
source on Tark preferring the 186? From his diary iirc he always hated to cut it shorter. On the other hand he was always critical to everything and everyone even himself and his work. So maybe in one interview he said something, but I doubt he meant it.

>>70633923
You cant get the 205 version in great quality because it doesnt exist. Id say torrent it and watch both
>>
>>70634062
The anecdote I know is that he was reluctant to cut down Rublev, but his friends insisted it was better a bit shorter so he relented
>>
>>70634200
I doubt that because Rublev was criticised mainly for the violence part (and partly for the heathen part, I dont know if thats left in the 186) from goverment. Tarkovsky insisted on letting them in because he wanted to show how the life was in Russia at that time
>>
>>70633517
who cares the movie is boring as hell
>>
>>70634418
it wasn't called russia back then
>>
>>70634499
What was it called then?
>>
>>70634499
I get an erection every time a pedant embarrasses himself
>>
>>70634534
Grand Duchy of Moscow ot somethiong like that
>>
>>70634578
come the fuck on
>>
Think I'll order it too. Is there a better site than Amazon for ordering films? I live in Canada, if it matters.
>>
File: IMG-20160518-WA0000.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160518-WA0000.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
Bump for cinema.
>>
I have the artificial eye full Tarkovsky boxset, haven't watched the film in years though. I don't remember it having much violence, but it says the run-time is 174 minutes? So it's even shorter than the "short" one you guys are talking about. Would love to just know what bits have been left out.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.