[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BASED GHIBLI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: qqq.jpg (235 KB, 1063x1328) Image search: [Google]
qqq.jpg
235 KB, 1063x1328
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/06/studio-ghibli-yonebayashi-interview-miyazaki

NO WOMEN ALLOWED ON FANTASY STORYTELLING

> Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach. I don’t think it’s a coincidence men are picked.
>>
Adult men tend to lead more interesting lives but that hasn't stopped them from making 30 cartoons about little girls crying.
>>
More like dead Ghibli.
>>
i thought it was supposed to be the other way around.
>>
>>70626589
Is Ghibli dead because they were antiwomyn shitlords?
>>
>>70626446
And yet the 90% of his films feature female protagonists.
>>
>>70626665
They're dead because Miyazaki retired.
>>
>>70626446
Did they actually say that? Jesus christ it's 2016
>>
>>70626688
At least open the link.
>>
>>70626688
maybe they like to draw lolis. or employ them as voice actresses.
>>
>>70626665
Miyazaki left, he was the creative force behind them. Many of these anime studios are built around creative geniuses and without them to hold the place together they just wither away. Gainax is another good example of this.
>>
>>70626665
I mean female leads and partially or fully matriarchal societies are a fairly common theme for Miyazaki and he's gone now.
So probably, yeah.
>>
>Will Ghibli ever employ a female director? Nishimura fields this question. “It depends on what kind of a film it would be. Unlike live action, with animation we have to simplify the real world. Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach. I don’t think it’s a coincidence men are picked.”
I can't tell if he's talking about women directors or female protagonists.
>>
>>70626446
>Women are realistic
>Men are idealistic
This could not be more wrong. Literally the complete opposite. How do blow observing people that hard?
>>
>>70626628
The actual thing to say is most women are fucking worthless except as wet holes that spew babies whereas a large percent of men do pretty much everything but you can't say that without women getting uppity so you have to throw them a worthless compliment for them to calm down (even though they get uppity nonetheless). Also, when he says "day-to-day" lives he probably means chores and shit.
>>
>>70626803
Yeah but he's in a better place now
More Dead Leaves when
>>
>>70626803
The studio is just bankrupt because the films were all animated in Japan (which costs a fuckload) due to Miyazaki hating the chinks/gooks/whatever but they've also been doing really poorly at the box office, even domestically. Miyazaki didn't give two fucks about what happened to the company after he left, he's just as happy with everything falling apart and other studios becoming the next Ghibli. The studio's last film (When Marnie Was There) is actually a lot more enjoyable than Miyazaki's last film, The Wind Rises, so he's not necessarily the only reason Ghibli was ever good but he was obviously a massive part of it.
>>
>>>/a/
>>
>>70626446
It's pretty silly to say this when both of his films were adapted from books written by women.
>>
>>70626998
All Miyazaki films since Mononoke Hime have been very successful in Japan.
>>
>>70626998
Miyazaki is supremely talented, but he's also very difficult to work with from what I've heard. Often times the people working on his movies would not even know what the story was, because they'd just be given random fragments to work on and not really have any grasp of how everything fit together. So as a result people often didn't know when they were done. That on top of the methods he insisted on using and his general disdain for modern conveniences in animation just sort of give him this curmudgeonly old man air.
>>
Reminder that the animation software they used for their movies is now free as in freedom software.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tech/heres-download-opentoonz-studio-ghiblis-free-animation-software-138465.html
>>
>>70627100
he does it that way so the studio doesn't fuck shit up, the resulting product from 1 person's ideas will always be more concise plot wise; he doesn't pander to otaku faggots which is why his shit is always so good because it's original and doesn't try to make money by targeting some specific niche or group which is what modern cancerous anime does
>>
>>70626840
Actually try looking at the situation in Japan.
Most women control the spending in the house and give their husbands an allowance. Its not strange for him to think this what so ever.
Even thinking about my parents my dad always wasted money buying mid-life crises shit while my mom had to manage the bills.
>>
>>70626998
Personally I don't consider keeping a large, personal force on hand to make your films a bad thing, but yes he did put the art over the artists. He was blunt about the companies' future after he left and although I think he did genuinely cares in interviews he just comes off as a cold dick.

>>70627100
This. Apparently for Mononoke it wasn't until late in the production that a screenplay was produced. His method is to "hang" elements on a core idea to try to build the world as a natural patchwork, even if the animation process barely allows that.
>>
>>70627292
That's because men reach a point after half a lifetime of being realistic where they can't take it anymore or realize they need to take a break and be unrealistic for a change.
>>
>>70626446
>Women tend to be more realistic
this is a joke right?
>>
It's the typical casual Japanese sexist. I doubt he tried to insult women. Still a stupid thing to say.
>>
>>70626840
what the fuck are you on about? it;s completely true
>>
File: 1465276030112.png (469 KB, 467x529) Image search: [Google]
1465276030112.png
469 KB, 467x529
You guys aren't getting it
he mean in the way that men have imagination, just like that thinking in the shower pic
> men "geez I wonder how life is being developed in the far away space"
> womyn "geez I wonder if chad liked my skirt"
there's no difference between a woman and an egg
>>
>>70626446
>NO WOMEN ALLOWED LOL
>DO I FIT IN YET ?@?@?@!!!!1
>>
>>70627628
Fuck off roastie/white knight
>>
>>70627657
Literally look at the state of Europe right now and tell me that's a result of rational thinking men. No, people like Merkel and her globalism bullshit is entirely idealistic and is very clearly not realistically working.
>>
>>70627628
This isn't even a big deal in Japan though. And not just because "those Japs are so sexist," it's because women actually have a lot of pull in the creative industries over there. Some of the most successful manga authors in Japan are women, in fact I think the richest woman in Japan is Rumiko Takahashi, whose most celebrated works were fantasies.

So basically this kind of comment comes off as "some guy's opinion" rather than "omg male oppressors keeping womyn down!" because in the context of Japanese creative culture women are extremely successful, despite what men think.
>>
>>70627775
Politics =/= Fantasy story-telling
>>
>>/pol/
your containment board exists for a reason, use it.
>>
>>70627775
The state of Europe right now is much better than in 1918 or 1945. You know, the results of "rational thinking" men.
>>
>>70627844
KEK ALERT KEK ALERT
>>
>>70627844
Time to learn a brand new definition of the word rational
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efei6R5oKOQ
>>
>>70626768
>giving views to this garbage
No.

>B-but muh ad block
Literally doesn't matter.
>>
>>70626823
Directors. It should be obvious once you consider all the Ghibli movies were made by men, but most of them had female protagonists.
>>
>>70626446
It's a bit of an odd comment considering that a lot of Ghibli's works are based off of works written by women, such as Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart or Tales from Earthsea, and more than that the two films that Yonebashi directed are both based on book written by women. Then again, when it comes to Ghibli, it seems they treat the women in their films better than those in real life. Miyazaki has admitted that despite the fact that he thinks women shouldn't be restricted to just being housewives, he more or less made his wife be a stay at home mother, despite the fact that she was a talented animator and didn't want to be a housewife.
>>
>almost all of their fantasy protagonists are young women
>but women don't understand fantasy
I'm really not following them
>>
>>70629077
It's not "them," it's Yoshiaki Nishimura, one of Ghibli's producers.
>>
>>70626740
>saying what year it is
cant tell if bait
>>
>>70628394
I hadn't read that before, any more deets?
>>
>>70629412
Miyazaki basically neglected his kids whenever he was working on a project, which was near constant. He flatly admits this and says that he showered them with affection when he had the time but for all intent's and purposes he was a destructive workaholic.
>>
>>70627100
>Often times the people working on his movies would not even know what the story was, because they'd just be given random fragments to work on and not really have any grasp of how everything fit together

this is pretty normal in animation actually. Hell,filmmaking in general if you're in the cast or crew can feel like this.
>>
File: Princess_Tutu.jpg (298 KB, 1000x1363) Image search: [Google]
Princess_Tutu.jpg
298 KB, 1000x1363
>>70626446
>NO WOMEN ALLOWED ON FANTASY STORYTELLING
I disagree because Yokote Michiko and Itou Ikuko
>>
>>70626446
how come half or more of his fantasy movies have women as the lead protagonists, often times in action roles?
>>
File: 1464298253497.jpg (41 KB, 392x480) Image search: [Google]
1464298253497.jpg
41 KB, 392x480
>>70626446

Women are generally less creative, there are exceptions.

Besides Virgina Woolf and a few others when has there been a truly great female writer? When is there ever a great female director except for the rare ocassions?

It's not that men are keeping women back, it's just their minds are not very creative in a genuine way. They usually end up creating something very unoriginal.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.