[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else ever get nostalgia for the bygone genre of 80s fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: the-never-ending-story-1[1].jpg (201 KB, 1019x608) Image search: [Google]
the-never-ending-story-1[1].jpg
201 KB, 1019x608
Anyone else ever get nostalgia for the bygone genre of 80s fantasy movies? Legend, Dragonslayer, Willow, Company of Wolves, Ladyhawke, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen etc, etc. They weren't all good movies (most of them were pretty flawed, actually) but there was a strange aesthetic about them that was compelling. Lush color palettes, beautiful matte paintings and miniatures, all paired with a certain grimy realness that made the worlds they created feel much more lived in than modern CGI backdrops.

They don't make 'em like this anymore.
>>
jesus christ how old are you
>>
all the time. if i had millions of dollars i'd make one outside of hollywood
>>
File: Baron_Munchausen01[1].jpg (99 KB, 1100x733) Image search: [Google]
Baron_Munchausen01[1].jpg
99 KB, 1100x733
>>
>>70620867
They invoked the imagination, that's the difference. imo
>>
File: hyrka.png (1 MB, 1292x807) Image search: [Google]
hyrka.png
1 MB, 1292x807
>>70620867
>>
CONAN
O
N
A
N
>>
>>70620867
I watch the Neverending Story at least once a year. I just love everything about it.
>>
>>70620867
POO IN LOO
>>
File: exca.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
exca.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>
File: SwordAndTheSorcerer.jpg (840 KB, 1050x794) Image search: [Google]
SwordAndTheSorcerer.jpg
840 KB, 1050x794
>>70620867
I wasn't born until the very end of the eighties, but I also love fantasy/sword-and-sorcery from that period. Pic Related is a personal favorite
>>
>>70620867
Yes. Here's my go-to list (Not all are 80s.):

=======
Dragons, Sword, Muppets, and Magic!

The 13th Warrior
Pan's Labyrinth
Dragonslayer
Stardust
Star Wars movies
Legend
The Princess Bride
Willow
Krull
Neverending Story
Neverending Story 2 (not part 3)
Troll
Conan the Destroyer
Conan the Barbarian
Kull the Conqueror
Red Sonya
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
Highlander
Excalibur
The Sword and the Sorcerer
Hawk the Slayer
The Goonies
Wizard of OZ
Return to OZ
Ladyhawke
Deathstalker
Jason and the Argonauts
Sinbad movies
Clash of the Titans (new and old)
Lord of the Rings movies
The Hobbit movies
Narnia movies
Harry Potter movies
Dragonheart (only part 1)
The Secret Of NIMH
The Last Unicorn
Bedknobs & Broomsticks
The Witches
The Watcher in the Woods
Van Helsing
The Black Cauldron
Army Of Darkness
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
The 10th Kingdom
Redwall (1999)
Beastmaster
Erik the Viking
Ice Pirates
>>
>>70621267
no love for time bandits or jabberwocky?
>>
>>70620867
Hi
>>
>>70621592
None what so ever.
>>
File: Tron_poster.jpg (52 KB, 300x448) Image search: [Google]
Tron_poster.jpg
52 KB, 300x448
>>70621267
This is a great list.
Krull is my favorite.
Please add pic related
>>
Older fantasy movies portrayed 'fantasy' much better than modern fantasy movies.

Setpieces actually looked like they came out of a dream and fueled the imagination. Modern fantasy is too grounded in gritty reality.

Neverending Story is one of my favourites. Also the Hallmark Entertainment miniseries are amazing as well, like Gulliver's Travels, Merlin etc.
>>
>>70621592

Time Bandits 4 life

>STAND BY FOR MIND CONTROL
>>
>>70621934

And yet the thing is, I find older fantasy to be much more grounded in reality. The miniatures and mattes feel much more real and grounded, while a lot of CGI armies/monsters/backdrops just feel sort of lifeless and sterile, or so light and airy it's like they're not there.
>>
i will tell you why movies made before 1990 are so often better or more 'lived in' then after the 90s.
production values I don't mean budgeting, I mean take a look at the show Dinosaurs, everything not on camera was a vehicle for the scene. Today the production is just riding around on a horse in a california desert for the same price and with half the set design.
>>
>>70622090
The main reason for that is because the mattes where painted by tried and true artists. The CGI stuff is currently done by people with a different type of artistic brain that involves computers. If you want true art that speaks to you in a number of ways, use a real artist that uses a real medium.

In 100+ years, artists in the CGI medium may finally have the tools and skills to make competent art.
>>
Warcraft is pretty much this.
>>
>>70621267
You actually like Neverending Story Part II? Or Red Sonja? Seriously?
>>
>>70622291
Have you seen it?

>>70622351
They are fine, but never ever watch NS3.
>>
>>70620867
The great thing about the time is that you could have even the most bizarre shit in the movie and everyone just accepted it. It was a great time for movies because nothing was too weird for audiences to understand. Hell, they made a fantasy movie with no humans, all done with puppets with the Dark Crystal and people loved it.

Lord of the Rings has done well to get audiences to accept weird things again, but for the most part fantasy movies now need a heaping bowl of tongue in cheek humor to get audiences to accept them and having lots of action helps too.
>>
>>70620867
The aesthetic you're referring to is the analogue film they were filmed in. The same can be said of that "odd aesthetic" in 80's horror movies that just makes them a little more scary.

Having crystal clear epin HD video isn't always a wonderful thing.
>>
File: 1460884226465.jpg (274 KB, 738x857) Image search: [Google]
1460884226465.jpg
274 KB, 738x857
>>70621267
danke
>>
File: 1231712782325.jpg (78 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1231712782325.jpg
78 KB, 800x600
>>70620867

>forgetting Dark Crystal

Shame on you.
>>
>>70622213
That's a bunch of bullshit. The medium has nothing to do with it.
The reason is that big companies prefer craftsmen over artists because they think they are easier to handle.
>>
>>70620908
>>
>>70621174
Fuck this movie was amazing.

Better than any of the Lord of the Rings movies.
>>
This thread gets my stamp of approval. Willow, Labyrinth, Munchausen, Legend, Conan, and Neverending Story were all childhood favorites of mine. Holy shit I miss this stuff.
>>
>>70623346

FotR comes kinda close to the feel of some of these old movies.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.