[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Earthsea miniseries was shit >Earthsea Ghibli movie was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Earthseadvd.jpg (20 KB, 213x318) Image search: [Google]
Earthseadvd.jpg
20 KB, 213x318
>Earthsea miniseries was shit
>Earthsea Ghibli movie was shit

Is it possible to have an actual good adaptation of Earthsea, or is it cursed just like Dune?
>>
Did this invent the wizard school idea
>>
can't do much when the source material is also garbage
>>
>>70621288
does it predate discworld?
>>
>>70621288
dungeons and dragons had magic schools in the 70's, and i dont mean schools of magic. im sure they got that idea from someone else
>>
>>70623073
Discworld wasn't really the "magic school" trope tbqh. Almost all the focus was on the faculty.
>>
>>70619988
>Earthsea Ghibli movie was shit
That's not how you spell best-written ghibli
>>
>>70623284
yeah, you never really have any focus on wizards being taught anything. i like the idea of wizards mainly being lazy, greedy, beauricratic, conniving, backstabbing, apathetic assholes. makes them seem more human
>>
>>70623869
you must love the wheel of time
>>
>>70623869
Oh, the Discworld school of magic is way better than tweeny escapism, but it just isn't that. But I think the satire Pratchett wrote was easier to write than fantasy, by definition in satire you're basically forced to steal many good ideas, the rest you alter, while original fantasy seems almost impossible to come up with seeing as when I look in the fantasy section of a bookshop I see books like "Dwarves", which are just another twist on Tolkiens originality. And don't even talk to me about the Sword of Truth, that is hot garbage I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy.
>>
>>70624175
I genuinely enjoy the Sword of Truth. What don't you like about it?
>>
>>70624175
are you implying that tolkein invented fantasy dwarfs?
>>
>>70624225
not that guy, but i got to a book in the series where the main character was poisoned, and had to go help some dude to get the antidote, and every other line the dude had to tell MC how much better he and his people are then everyone else, it got real tiring, thats when i dropped it. also, i recall somewhere describing the fantasy version of workers comp, and you can tell the author has strong negative views on workers rights, basically describing everyone in the book that was using it a lazy no good trying to get out of work
>>
>>70624319
No, that his version of them are the only version anyone ever writes about. There was at least SOME originality there, but none after.
>>
>>70621298
Kek someone doesn't read
>>
>>70624319
His is the version everyone bases their dwarves on.
>likes gold
>drinks excessively
>beards
>dodgy accent
>rude and unsavory, but not antagonistic
>often come in groups
>ugly as sin
Youll not often find dwarves that arent Gimli. Before Tolkien Dwarves were short men who lived under rocks and wore funny hats and would play tricks on tall people because they didnt notice them because they were short.
>>
File: riddle master.jpg (90 KB, 600x965) Image search: [Google]
riddle master.jpg
90 KB, 600x965
>not reading patrician fantasy
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.