[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCK YOU!!!!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: anomalisa1.jpg (883 KB, 1671x2437) Image search: [Google]
anomalisa1.jpg
883 KB, 1671x2437
FUCK YOU!!!!
>>
didn't like it?
>>
>>70603636
Doesn't he get cucked?

That would honestly explain all those 'rave reviews'
>>
can you put any more blurbs and quotes on a movie poster?
>>
>>70603676
no stop projecting
>>
>>70603701
"can you put any more blurbs and quotes on a movie poster?"
- Anon, 4chan
>>
>>70603676
>Doesn't he get cucked?
>That would honestly explain all those 'rave reviews'

Well, you got cucked and your reviews still suck
>>
>>70603636
it's a cool movie. 2pleb4 it
>>
File: Brody.png (61 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Brody.png
61 KB, 320x320
It's ok, some brilliant ideas, but ultimately pretty empty and oddly mean-spirited. Brody nails it:

Yet do we viewers, too, find the cab driver pushy, the porter awkward, the waitress clueless? Does this mean that we identify with Michael’s pathetic dignity and share his judgmental condescension, only to sympathize with him all the more—and all the more inappropriately—when he makes messes of the lives of others and of his own? Or are all of Kaufman’s characters equally benighted, the devoted fan rendered oblivious by her narrow loneliness and dreaming of a new life, as well as the celebrity who’s imprisoned in his own public image and private habits and can’t ever find the new life that he dreams of?

The trap of calculated complicity that Kaufman sets, however, is no howling metaphysical abyss (as is Martin Scorsese’s mirror on his audience in “The Wolf of Wall Street”). Rather, it’s narrow, lachrymose, and stereotyped, looking askance at Michael’s ego cloud only to coax viewers further into contentment with their own humble lives.
>>
>>70603636
his voice was the worst thing about it, i usually like that actor too.
>>
It is shit.
>>
>>70603853
100% agree
>>
>>70603853
Kaufman’s widely distributed pity for the lot of humanity is distributed somewhat prejudicially. The cab driver gets to be angry and stupid; Michael gets to be aware of that anger and stupidity. The clerks get to do their jobs with their game faces; Michael gets to watch them conform or crack. The superficial paradox is underlined by Michael’s work as a customer-service expert, a whiz at artificial empathy and commercial manipulation, the author of a book titled “How Can I Help You Help Them?,” a motivational speaker to professionals who do what he only studies. He is, in effect, a screenwriter and filmmaker, an observer of people and crafter of interactions who has trouble interacting, a manufacturer of feelings who actually doesn’t like people but is nonetheless desperate for relationships. (The action is set in 2005—before the ubiquity of smartphones and social media—as if to emphasize the emotional separation created by distance and time, the lack of a readily accessible fund of information about those from the past and, for that matter, about new acquaintances.)
>>
>>70603885
Perpetually outside and just a little above, Michael is aware of the pathetic yet touching failings that mark everyone else—the people who live and feel firsthand, without the self-awareness of a theoretical and creative observer such as Michael (or Kaufman), but also with greater authenticity and truer humanity. Yet Kaufman betrays himself as much with his condescending compassion as with his withering observations. He builds his modest characters as collections of traits that appear as calculated details drawn from life but serving to do nothing but evoke sighs akin to those yielded by pictures of children and pets. The artificial sweetness and gentle satire of his portraits of characters who could be labeled as everyday people is haughty and incurious.

The line that he draws between a Michael, who has a creative profession that yields a public identity, and a Lisa (or any of the other people he encounters), who simply work for a living and simply live, is the Hollywood line. With its immense but blank, self-regardingly self-congratulatory sympathy for the benighted masses toiling in their ostensible ordinariness, with its critical judgment of the talented but unfeeling, observant yet selfish minor artistic celebrity, “Anomalisa” looks like the work of an incurious egomaniac of conferences and offices, sets and studios, who hasn’t soiled the soles of his shoes on actual sidewalks for decades.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-condescending-compassion-of-charlie-kaufmans-anomalisa
>>
>I come home, in the morning light. My mother says when you gonna live your life right...
>>
>Now, finally I realize it was you. You were my Charlie Kaufman's Anomolisa, Now Playing In Select Cities.

Come on. Seriously?
>>
File: Capture.png (515 KB, 895x373) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
515 KB, 895x373
I'm about 10 minutes in and had to pause it to ask you guys this question:

are taxi drivers in the states really this fucking annoying?
>>
File: 1395186013548.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1395186013548.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>70603701
>>
>>70604936
>I'm about 10 minutes in and had to pause it to ask you guys this question:

you're an idiot, this movie, as flawed as it is, is not for you
>>
>>70604936
>had to pause it to ask you guys this question:
Fuck off m8
>>
>>70603853
>>70603885
>>70603910
Nigger, I'm an overweight balding nobody who beds a girl I'm into no more than a couple times every few months - and even I experience that breakfast feeling on the regular.
>>
>>70604962
This picture will always make me laugh.
>>
>>70603636
i fucking hate it when posters do this. same with citizen kane. it doesn't tell you anything about the film so it shouldn't even be on the poster
>>
File: winner-poster.jpg (11 KB, 184x273) Image search: [Google]
winner-poster.jpg
11 KB, 184x273
>>70603701
>>
Why the fuck did Michael need to be British as well? Were they going for a fish out of water thing? Thewlis used what I presume was his native northern accent.
>>
>>70604936
I'm from Cincinnati and I found that part pretty accurate. People never shut the fuck up about chili
>>
>>70605209
I thought it was to make his voice as different from those of all the others.
>>
File: 17kkqejbmgiy6jpg.jpg (137 KB, 636x910) Image search: [Google]
17kkqejbmgiy6jpg.jpg
137 KB, 636x910
>>70603636
>>
>>70604962
is that a ballsack
>>
>>70605284
>>>/v/
>>
>>70605248
Eh, could just get any actor with a voice different to Tom Noonan. It just seemed a bit odd to me.
>>
>>70604962

Is that... a testicle?
>>
>>70603853
>oddly mean spirited
You see, I came away with the exact opposite feeling. I felt that I just watched a movie about a man desperately trying to find something akin to a "manic pixie dream girl," someone who is so special and unique, as he sees himself. Ultimately, he becomes disinterested in Lisa because he realizes she does normal "gross" things and suggests they go do popular activities (going to the zoo.) I felt that we weren't supposed to sympathize at all with the way the main character felt about humans. He judges everyone before he knows them, and created his own loneliness. The ending with Lisa was very hopeful to me.
>>
>>70605285
>>70605429
Looks like a Blu Ray to me, guys.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.