[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /tv/ whats the consenus on Se7en? Its my favorite of Fin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: seven-movie-poster-500w.jpg (50 KB, 219x320) Image search: [Google]
seven-movie-poster-500w.jpg
50 KB, 219x320
So /tv/ whats the consenus on Se7en?

Its my favorite of Finchers, it has a great atmosphere and score plus the box was brilliant. But I think that was mainly because it wasnt spoiled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1giVzxyoclE
>>
>>70599251
I thought it was really good
>>
>>70599251
It's a great thriller. The youngsters on /tv/ will shit on it as a meme not knowing that Seven was influential as hell and fresh at the time. It's not the movie's fault that everything for about 15 years after copied it, ruining its allure.
>>
>>70599251

it's brilliant, but more importantly every time I watch it I can't believe how much it holds up technically.

Go look at almost any other fucking film from 1995 and then look at Seven. It's ridiculous.

I don't know what Fincher knew about lenses in the mid-90s that nobody else knew, but they never caught up to him.
>>
>>70599251
It blows my mind that TSN gets so much praise, and this is never mentioned. Watched it with a young crowd recently. They thought it was boring. If it's not about facebook, and doesn't have quickcuts; people just aren't interested.
>>
>>70599416
>TSN
???
>>
>>70599463

The Social Netork, anon. Come on now.
>>
It reminded me a lot of the gritty crime movies of the 70s to early 80s. The ones where the city feels like a character, not just a setting.
>>
File: game_xlg.jpg (154 KB, 1000x1347) Image search: [Google]
game_xlg.jpg
154 KB, 1000x1347
Always preferred The Game.

>>70599364

>don't know what Fincher knew about lenses in the mid-90s that nobody else knew, but they never caught up to him.

This.
>>
I like it a lot, superb cinematography (I tend to be a sucker for visuals), everything is top notch really, atmosphere, acting, the plot's pretty interesting.

It's probably up there with Alien or Blade Runner was one of my favourites
>>
>>70599364

>I don't know what Fincher knew about lenses in the mid-90s that nobody else knew, but they never caught up to him.

Because Fincher is a literal insane person who has people doing 100 takes of opening a door and almost always doubles his projected budget though the power of bullshitting.

He's a madman, like most great artists.
>>
Visually, what comes close to this film?
>>
>>70599609
Klute
>>
>>70599652

Pakula was a great director.
>>
>>70599609

Saw.

Just kidding, that's a textbook example of a pale imitation; a real answer would be something like Silence of the Lambs or I Saw the Devil.
>>
>>70599686
>Pakula died on November 19, 1998 in a car accident on the Long Island Expressway in Melville, New York. He was 70 years old. A driver in front of him struck a metal pipe, which went through Pakula's windshield, struck him in the head, and caused him to swerve off the road and into a fence. He was killed instantly.

;_;
>>
>>70599251
7/10

It's nice the first time you watch it but the more you think about it the more contrived the whole thing becomes. There's a lot of shit that just "somehow" work out for jon doe
>>
>>70599697
He said visually. I don't think Silence and I Saw have what he's asking for.
>>
>>70599609
For some reason the original Ring reminded me of it
>>
>>70599697

>Silence of the Lambs

One of the few movies I would consider to be genuinely perfect. There isn't a single frame in that film that isn't exactly right.

>>70599728

And the last couple movies he made were genuinely bad to boot.

>The Devil's Own
>Consenting Adults

That's a rough way to go out.
>>
I thought it was a good movie, but can't say I really get what's so special about it. It's good, but I don't understand why so many people have it in their top 10 and things like that.
>>
>>70599759

It's been about 6 years since I've seen Lambs but I feel like it is a pretty good companion piece in terms of visuals.
>>
>>70599827
It's comfy and has a nice atmosphere.
>>
>>70599603
He's a pervert.
>>
>>70599790
The Devil's Own could have been good. So sad. At lest Presumed Innocent was good (but came too close after the release of Tom Selleck's An innocent Man for it's own good). Pelican Brief was... there?
>>
>>70599849
I'll take your word for it, my memory of it is hazy. I was thinking of Red Dragon. Fuck, I really need to watch Silence again, it's been more than a decade since I saw it.

Too bad Jonathan Demme seems to be a two hit wonder.
>>
>>70599538
I watched The Game recently.

I didn't think the ending paid off, but then the film just kept upping the stakes to such a degree that I'm not sure any revelation would have satisfied me unless Douglas actually burst out of the screen of my laptop and offered me fellatio.
>>
>>70599915

>The Devil's Own could have been good

I don't know man, that script was bad to start. I'm not saying Brad Pitt's accent and Ford's paycheck-mode performance helped, but that just felt like a mediocre airport thriller to begin with. There's no room for tension anywhere, 85% of the story is swallowed up by the dull faux-father/son relationship between the leads.

>Presumed Innocent

That's good, but a little farther back then what I was talking about.

>Pelican Brief

It's fine, it's just too long. I don't mind it, I like cheesy 90's legal thrillers and that one probably has the best cast of all of them, but it had no right to be almost 2-1/2 hours long.

My guess is you haven't seen Consenting Adults? It's rough to get through, you can tell that was shredded to pieces by the studio edits.

>>70599986

>Silence of the Lambs
>Something Wild
>Philadelphia
>Married to the Mob
>Manchurian Candidate remake

Two-hit wonder my ass. And people who saw the original cut of Swing Shift swear up-and-down that it's excellent.
>>
>>70599986
>>70599849
>>70599790

I prefered Manhunter to be honest. Noonan creeps me out more than Levine (or Fiennes for that matter) and I really like Cox's Lektor. The cinematography and use of colours I'm also very fond of; plus I think they changed the ending of the novel for the better. I imagine it hasn't aged as well as SotL though.
>>
>>70600117

>plus I think they changed the ending of the novel for the better

I hate the ending of Manhunter. I know that might make me some kind of dirty plebeian, I don't give a shit. Removing the home assault strips the entire point of Lecter's character out of the story and it turns Graham into some kind of ridiculous action hero badass. Plus I think the entire sequence is actually poorly-done with all the slow-motion and repeated shots.

I'm normally the last person on Earth who gets triggered by changes in a book adaptation, but I guess we all have our exceptions and that one is mine.
>>
>>70600232

>Plus I think the entire sequence is actually poorly-done

Yup. The timeless elements of Manhunter rub up hard against some of the more bombastic 80s moments.

It's like when you watch someone get punched through a window in an older film and it lasts way too fucking long, replete with slow-motion and different angles of the same action.
>>
>>70599251
what was in the box?
>>
>>70600232
I just found the novel's ending unrealistic, anon. Compared to the rest of film, the whole concept of the villain surviving the last battle just to show up again at the end before the credits just seemed tired to me. Plus the whole way he fools him into letting his hostage son go just seemed weak to me (I know it made sense plotwise though).

>Removing the home assault strips the entire point of Lecter's character out of the story
Graham still needs his help at the beginning even if he doesn't get to ensure Graham's downfall.

>it turns Graham into some kind of ridiculous action hero badass.
He gets his ass kicked by Dolarhyde, doesn't he? Graham only keeps his life because he shoots him before the TF can reload his shotgun, unless I'm remembering it wrongly.

It is very divisive though.
>>
>>70600398
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cmqwbZa6_w

I can't believe Fincher (or his editor) let that take get into the final cut. Pitt sounded like a three year old toddler wanting to open his Xmas present early. Talk about bathos ruining a dramatic moment.
>>
>>70600398
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5BT_6p4OHA
>>
>>70600447

>I just found the novel's ending unrealistic, anon.

I don't think Harris could ever be accused of trying to write realistic stories.

>Compared to the rest of film, the whole concept of the villain surviving the last battle just to show up again at the end before the credits just seemed tired to me.

But it wraps everything up so well thematically. Will thought he could dip his toe back into the world that destroyed him once, but not only did it disfigure him physically and emotionally again, it blew back onto his idealised little family and touched them too.

It also has the added bonus of showing just how horrible an idea it was to EVER contact Lector. He turned the Tooth Fairy into his own personal attack dog out of pure malice, whatever help Graham got out of the deal was never going to be worth it. In the movie none of that came though;

I think the thing is Mann was never interested in Lector or Dolarhyde, his fascination was with Graham and made everything in the movie spin around him. Mann's interested in criminals and cops and professionals, serial killers aren't his interest. He basically strips out every non-essential scene of Dolarhyde he can.

I like Manhunter right up until the ending. The rest is still Mann excellence, but the finale leaves a sour taste every time for me.
>>
>>70600398

Kevin Spacey
>>
>>70600542
Top kek
>>
It's got to the point where a good day is a thread on /tv/ about something I like that isn't a barrage of contrarian garbage slinging. Here you go seven bros, obligatory watching. It should be a bonus feature on the anniversary blu-ray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X7mL6Vywxk
>>
>>70600770
Nah, it was John Malkovich. Seven is set in the same universe as Being John Malkovich.
>>
>>70600769
>I don't think Harris could ever be accused of trying to write realistic stories.
It's been so long since I've read the novels that I lack any evidence to contradict you at all on this, but I do remember Hannibal at the time it was published seeming far more unrealistic than either RD or SotL.

>Will thought he could dip his toe back into the world that destroyed him once... it blew back onto his idealised little family and touched them too.
That is the good part of the original ending and the remake. Lecter's genius revenge has a more effective result (and I prefer Cox's subtler interpretation to Hopkins). I still don't quite feel it but I can't deny that it doesn't make sense plot-wise, character-wise and thematically as well. I probably just have a pet peeve about that particular trope; it just seems like more something we'd see in a bad Schwartzenegger film of the same period than a Mann film or Harris novel.

>>70600999
>a thread on /tv/ about something I like that isn't a barrage of contrarian garbage slinging
I haven't accused anyone of being a homosexual or a reddit-dwelling cuckold in months. Jack Crawford will have to send his next protege after me.
>>
>>70600999
Sadly, I saw this a few years before I saw Se7en and it spoiled the ending for me. I was a sad fellow for a while after, anon.
>>
>watches Fincher's films
>Zodiac is not his favourite

To be fair, Seven is his second best film (or TSN)
>>
>>70601253

> but I do remember Hannibal at the time it was published seeming far more unrealistic than either RD or SotL.

Hannibal was Harris trolling his entire fanbase. He had said for years and years that he had zero interest in writing another Lecter book and the story was over but his publisher gave him such an outrageous sum of money to write another he wrote Hannibal as a big, fat fuck-you to anyone who wanted "closure" on the character.

That book reads like, bad, insane fanfiction because it essentially is. It's the Gremlins 2 of Hannibal books, I'm amazed Ridley Scott managed to carve the story into an actual movie that made sense.

>I still don't quite feel it but I can't deny that it doesn't make sense plot-wise, character-wise and thematically as well

It does basically function is a surprise fourth act, it's structurally odd and clearly fits better in-hand with a novel then a movie.
>>
File: what the devil.png (28 KB, 499x322) Image search: [Google]
what the devil.png
28 KB, 499x322
>>70601450
>mfw I got to the end of Hannibal and it finishes with fucking Barney of all people seeing Clarice & Lecter going to the opera in Buenos Aires.
>>
>>70599364
bleach bypass filter
>>
Brad Pitt's "what's in the box" delivery was awful.
>>
>>70599364
>I don't know what Fincher knew about lenses in the mid-90s that nobody else knew, but they never caught up to him
can you give me an example of this? I genuinely wouldn't have a clue of how to pick up on something like that
>>
>>70601324
>watches Fincher's films
>Benjamin Button is not his favorite
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.