[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oldfags, explain to the youngfags what made the original so great.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 12
File: id-4-2.jpg (115 KB, 509x755) Image search: [Google]
id-4-2.jpg
115 KB, 509x755
Oldfags, explain to the youngfags what made the original so great.
>>
>>70589693
Aliens blew up hippies, blew up cities, blew up Washington, then jeff goldblum blew up aliens.
>>
It's a product of it's own time.

Back then CGI wasn't as common as it is now, so seeing a giant spaceship the size of a city blow up the Empire State in the big screen was a unique experience.

I guess another factor is that mankind always had the disadvantage so you didn't know who was going to win.

The sequel is just unnecessary, it's probably going to be the same as the first but with different landmarks getting destroyed and more sci-fi shit.
>>
>>70589693
>Oldfags, explain to the youngfags what made the original so great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z14-j1F3rj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hj_RcvOyQA
>>
>>70589693
Cheesy almost brilliant edting pacing and dialogue.

The whole movie is the epitome of "oh no he di int"

Welcome ta erf.

The Dog Survives
>>
I never liked it and I never liked Emmerich.
>>
>>70589693
Was Independence Day the last great summer blockbuster that wasn't made with the intention of kick-starting a franchise?
>>
>>70589989
No one likes Emmerich, his movies have been 20 years of garbage, this is probably literally the only movie he could still get made.

>>70590018
Surely there has to be one in the last 20 years. Edge of Tomorrow?
>>
>>70589693
I saw it in the cinema. Was mindblowing for the time. The pure spectacle of the CGI and display of craft, the cast, the snappy dialogue before snappy dialogue devolved into quipping, the list goes on...
>>
>>70589829
>Back then CGI wasn't as common as it is now
nigga everything they blew the fuck out were godly practicals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXwpuTJlS94
>>
>>70590113
>his movies have been 20 years of garbage
Emmerich eats lightning and shits out kino.
>>
special effects mostly

we just didnt have movies that showed shit of this scale looking this good at that point.
>>
>>70590139
>muh practical effect ideological purity
pyro was practical, but the movie was always mixed between CG and practical.
>>
>>70589693
Quips
>>
>>70589693
Will smiffs epic quips and nigger slang
>>
>>70589693
If you don't like ID4, then you don't like icecream.
>>
>>70589693
It was the 90's man, you had to be there.
>>
I saw it in the theater on Independence Day when I was 8 years old it was amazing.
>>
>there are people on this board too young to have seen Independence Day in either the theatres or on home VHS

kill yourselves if this applies
>>
>>70589693
>an army hero and the son of a jew save the world
gee, i don't know anon...
>>
>>70589693
Literally every character aside from maybe the probed guy's children are perfect and have their own "moment"
>>
bill pullman
>>
It wasn't that great. It was just a blockbuster event. Cinema at the time was missing huge budget genre films. The film hit all the right notes. But ultimately it was a one dimensional, by the numbers film. It was mediocrely reviewed upon release and is only beloved by simpletons, normalfags, and nostalgiafags that can't evolve.

It's literally a 5-6/10 at best.
>>
The VHS came with a holographic cover of the White House exploding.

Worth it.
>>
I saw it in theatre and bought the VHS. Will Smith was a big deal at the time and it was something spectacular to see the white house etc blown up by a giant space ship.

I think the marketing had a lot to do with it as well. They did a lot of unique things at the time, promotion for the movie was everywhere. Keep in mind that this was 1996, media wasn't as over saturated back then, when I say this movie was hyped up everywhere, I mean everywhere. It was impossible to ignore.

I remember the action figures came with a floppy disc with a game that let you launch the nukes against the aliens. The VHS came with one of those cards where if you move it back and forth it looks like the white house is getting blown up. I still have it.
>>
>cgi still holds up
>heaps of amazing practical effects
>interesting ensemble of likeable characters
>well paced

It's leagues ahead of anything released now. Saw it 3 times in the cinema it was a true event akin to the matrix and lotr. Many have tried to copy it's formula even the director himself and have failed.
>>
File: 1464665176784.png (232 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1464665176784.png
232 KB, 500x380
>>70590740
Indeed.
>>
>>70590747
I remember those floppy discs

I got the alien figure and took the floppy to my cousins house to use on his PC and it was some kind of point and click mini game inside the alien ship
>>
>>70589693
It was sort of the pioneering film for the 90s/00s big budget save the world while everything around you gets destroyed type movies. Today it is really stale, but back then it was more exciting (though no less stupid when you really thought about it).
>>
Disaster movies peaked in the 90s desu
>>
>>70590450
>serious troll
Stargate was great, but I meant post-ID4. Unwatchable total shit: Godzilla, Day After Tomorrow, 2012.... and especially Anonymous which I will never forget, nor forgive.
>>
>>70590740
My n word (nigger)
>>
>>70590944
Most of those are good except the spoiler one and 10,000 B.C.
>>
>>70589693
>me being young at the time

that's about it
>>
>>70590018
Yes. It was the beginning of the end.

You could argue that Avatar wasn't made for a franchise and they planned the sequels after it's huge box office success, they're making them anyways so who knows.
>>
>>70589765
This hippies got rekt

Also jeff Goldblum hacked the aliens with a typical trojan horse
>>
>>70590450
>2012
>"kino"
>>
>>70590530
Well no shit Sherlock any practical effects used since then are supplemented with CG, but the fact that it's only supplementing makes all the difference
>>
>>70589693
It rode the patriotic high of post-Cold War America. It's a world wide attack, but it's all up to America to save the day. Our president leads the counterattack by jet, big explosions, the Fresh Prince cracking jokes. The rest of the world is hanging on our every word for plans to counterattack. It made you feel awesome to be American.
>>
>>70591019
>Nostalgia goggles
>>
>>70591189
>I am a millennial
>>
>>70591177
>but it's all up to America to save the day.
It would have to be. It's to tie in the Area 51 lore. Nobody will buy it if a counterstrike is mounted by Argentine gouchos throwing bolas at the mothership.
>>
>>70591224
I think that's equally the definition of nostalgia goggles.

Seeing something when you're 19 and thinking it's great, then watching it again at 29 and realizing you were a fucking fuckwit @ 19.
>>
Jeff Goldblum makes any movie into a 7/10 movie at the least. His whole entire screen presence is that of prime Arnold in a sense

Oh and the speech. What a fucking speech man
>>
>>70590642

>tfw I'm old enough that I could have had either of those experiences yet I didn't because of strict parents and I didn't see Independence Day until a couple years ago when I decided to torrent it

I still liked it, though.
>>
Who jumped like a bitch when the alien head split open?
>>
>>70589693
It wasnt though, everyone with half a brain was laughing about the uploaded virus gimmick
>>
>>70591457

No, people only made fun of that years later, youngfag.
>>
>>70591282
No, I get it, there's a reason within the story for why it's up to us. I love those "America saves the world" blockbusters, like Armageddon. The '90's made you feel good to be American
>>
>>70591504
this

that was a gem that only modern audiences laughed at in retrospect
>>
File: independence-day-aliens.jpg (34 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
independence-day-aliens.jpg
34 KB, 600x316
>"What is it you want us to do?"
>"Die..."

Even now I still get chills.
>>
>>70591504
Nah. it was probably within a year or so, people who actually owned computers were like, "Hang on a minute, is alien tech Apple compatible?"

It just gets funnier with age.
>>
>>70591422
>>70591589
quality scene
>>
emmerich used to be a decent director. he had a singular vision and a passion for filmmaking. much like paul w.s. anderson, he nibbled on the forbidden fruit for too long, leading to inevitable creative bankruptcy and artistic absence.

rip in peace
>>
>>70591553
Nah I remember thinking

>with a fucking Mac
>>
>>70591746
Gigantic Filmfaggot here. I think that's a legit hypothesis, these are directors who made 1-2 good movies then sunk into shit permanently. I'd counter-argue, however, that Emmerich benefited early on from working with Dean Devlin, and the movies suffered without that partnership, and meanwhile, PWSA started to suck when he started banging Milla, which would distract me, also.
>>
>>70591746
>>70591807
different anon here. that is two good posts
>>
>>70589693
In the words of Patrice O'Neal, up until the aftermath of the attack, it's pretty much the perfect popcorn flick
>>
>>70589693
I wouldn't necessarily call it great but I understand that it has a lot of elements would even individually appeal to lots of people, and put together guaranteed the film's success in 1996.

What I'm more interested in now is understanding the movie, but it's like /tv/ or anyone really is interested in talking about the story.
>>
It was all about the quips
>>
>>70591323
>A movie with Goldblum, Arnold and Dano

Make it happen 4chan, make your meme magic
>>
I watched this in the cinema when I was a wee lad and the appearance of the ships and positioning all over the world was both the scariest and most exciting thing I think I've experienced in a movie
>>
>>70592107
I miss him. I loved his conversations about movies on Opie and Anthony. Shitting on Braveheart and Taken, coming to terms with Face/Off being shlock
>>
>>70592389
He never shit on Braveheart, he loved it
>>
>>70592199
Ask a frigging question then
>>
>>70592758
Well, for one, what kind of a reflection of humanity/USA were the aliens? What are 'we' in the movie REALLY fighting against?
>>
>at the time it was an amazing special effects showcase (the effects were mostly practical so they still hol up very well today)
>there was a scifi summer movie drought ever since Return on the Jedi in 1983, so it was a welcome return to the genre
>very good cast of up and coming stars and veteran performers
>decent characters
>black and jew as main characters without SJW oppression bullshit
>a marketing campaign that the world hasn't seen since. EVERYONE was talking about this movie
>aliens fuck shit up on a worldwide scale (they must have killed billions of people)
>tie in with Area 51 (in the mid 90's gov't/UFO conspiracies were huge)
>releasing the movie on July 4th weekend (why the sequel is coming out in June I have no idea)
>millenial twats were either babies or not born yet
>>
>>70589949
hehehe this is nice
>>
>>70589693
hipsters hated it because the first helf was "boring"
>>
>>70593090
Um, aliens who came to steal our resources and destroy our way of life?
>>
File: 1430799190301.png (371 KB, 435x457) Image search: [Google]
1430799190301.png
371 KB, 435x457
I hate CGI, i prefer rubber doll aliens and dinos from original Jurassic park
>>
I haven't watched this in a long time, does it even really look dated to younger people? I imagine it's held up pretty well for a 20 year old movie.
>>
>>70593365
That's base exposition, though.

Why are the aliens telepathic? Why does one of them grab the scientist and talk through him? Why is there a singular mothership instead of a non-centralised network? Why did the aliens use our own satellites against us? Why are the saucer beam attacks portrayed in the manner of nuclear strikes?

These are all deliberate choices that exist to reveal what the aliens represent.
>>
>>70593565
It holds up decently. Some of the effects during the initial destruction of LA / NY look pretty awful but other than that, not bad
>>
>>70593881
Dude if you want to post your head-cannon then go ahead and post it.
>>
>>70593476
>I hate CGI
they needed cgi to help make some of the ebst scenes in that movie, anon
>>
IT'S THE END OF THE WORD AS WE KNOW IT
>>
>>70594229

>WORD

hue
>>
>>70590139
I fucking miss Movie Magic. This shit was my jam as a kid.
>>
>>70591589
Ayyyy
>>
Saw that in the cinema. It was shit but as a kid I liked the starwasy dogfight and mean aliens.

Of course it's in fact a complete cringe fest, >burger over-patriotism that (((hollywood))) loves to put in his films to make the pleb goy burger so proud
>the "comic" relief with will smith...
>>
>>70589693
They blew up the white house and new york. A nigger, a pasty jew, and white trash saved the world. Mars Attacks was better.
>>
>>70597531
H o l y f u c k. What is wrong with you /pol/kuk? You are worse than tumblrinas with your being triggered by the most trivial things. Kill yourself.
>>
>>70591504
>years later
Wut.
Everyone at my school was like lol virus right afer they saw it
>>
The original Independence Day movie is actually complete shit. Decent elements though, love the alien designs from their ships to the individual aliens. Their biosuits are fucking rad. The best part of the movie is the Alien in the Lab scene, genuinely creepy.
>>
This is my own most anticipated film of AD 2016.
>>
>>70590944
I liked Day After Tomorrow
>>
>>70589693
This movie was the epitome of 'fuck yeah!'
>>
>>70589693
Nostalgia.

It was always just an OK dumb action flick. The sequel looks to be more of the same. It's just not needed beyond capitalising on nostalgia.
>>
File: 1418254429450.gif (466 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1418254429450.gif
466 KB, 400x225
Good morning. Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest.

Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live, to exist and should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on, we're going to survive.

Today we celebrate our independence day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj16vfbsM9A

>Post yfw this speech
>>
>>70597531
What more do you want from a mindless popcorn flick? I don't care too much for Emmerich's stuff, either, but Independence Day had the right balance of corny fun and shit getting destroyed.

Mars Attacks is good for what it is, though.
>>
File: id4 mac.jpg (121 KB, 630x500) Image search: [Google]
id4 mac.jpg
121 KB, 630x500
God tier mix of practical effects and CGI. Ships, locations, explosions etc. were all practical, and all the impossible alien shit was CGI, and it was good.

Original and memorable alien design.

Comfy 90s schlock aesthetic.

Interesting characters.

Minimal MURICA FUCK YEEEEEEEAHHHHH -plot. This movie is all about them big gunz and aayyliens. If I wanted a serious deep sci-fi I would read a book.

90s computer hacking.

Awesome sound design. Even the starting credits explode and made that satisfying "KKHKLHKHHLHLHLLAAK PSEEEEHHHHH" type of sound.
>>
>>70589693
Honestly, it was that rare moment in the world when mostly stuff was OK(there was no shitload of wars, money was good, it was a small balloon of good life when this movie was released).
>im not sayan that world was not fucked up, it was just some small intermecco (sometimes it happens, that most world live in peace, but usually it lasts one or two months)

Movie was great because it showed that we really need some fucking aliens to finally get us all together as a species , also, it was lite action flick, with nice positive ending, it was not pretentious and to my knowledge, Mr.Presidents speech was best ever made(I got up in theater and yelled:"LET ME AT THEM!!"), so they let me out of the theatre.
>>
How the hell is this guy still alive?
>>
File: 1456438068205.jpg (65 KB, 513x524) Image search: [Google]
1456438068205.jpg
65 KB, 513x524
>>70599302

>As Spiner explains of Okun’s apparent survival:

>“People assumed Dr. Okun died in the first movie. I don’t know why they make that assumption. My eyes were open, this guy, the dreaded Adam Baldwin, picks me up, he puts his fingers on my neck. I wanted to look at him and go ‘you’re not a doctor! You’re a soldier!’”

>While eagle-eyed viewers might be able discern a sliver of life in the body of Dr. Okun after his alien captor was killed, most people who saw the scene assumed that he was just another casualty. However, this apparent majority was actually in the right… at least as far as what was originally intended. As Spiner further explains:

>“This is a little secret. He had a line that he said, ‘he’s dead’ and they cut the line.” Adding, “But, he didn’t say anything. So, cut two, here I am.”
>>
>>70599184

lel binary lel
>>
File: Exactly my tempo.jpg (40 KB, 217x240) Image search: [Google]
Exactly my tempo.jpg
40 KB, 217x240
>>70599072
>my motherfucking face when
>>
>>70597479
It shows the collapse of American everything in favor of multiculturalism you fucking retard. The people who discover the alien's weakness are sand niggers for fuck's sake. Everything in the movie is geared to show the failings of our old ways and the strengths of us all banding together. Fucking pay attention to Pullman's speech. Jeheeeeesus Christmas Crackers you're beyond retarded.
>>
File: Bruce Rain.gif (352 KB, 499x289) Image search: [Google]
Bruce Rain.gif
352 KB, 499x289
>>70599072
Manly tears.
>>
>>70595545
Lmao
>>
>>70599911

lmao pol, go to sleep
>>
>>70589693
aliens ran on mac
>>
>>70589693
>Oldfags, explain to the youngfags what made the original so great.
Because it explains our current state as a nation with aliens attacking us and tree loving hippies embracing them with open arms

just like mars attacks
>>
>>70599072

You do realize he is talking about the Holocaust right?
>>
>/tv/ suddenly likes ID4
What happened?
>>
>>70589693
It was a good summer popcorn movie. I saw it when I was 15 btw.
>>
>>70599072
Were there really cases of thetres applauding this?

>>70599302
>>70599340
In retrospect, it probably make more sense to have been alive for the alien to take control of his body functions.
>>
File: 1459461275930.jpg (10 KB, 524x300) Image search: [Google]
1459461275930.jpg
10 KB, 524x300
>>70590139
Fuck, I miss the days when movies were magic. When everyone in a cinema would be gasping in amazement at a spectacle like this. Nowadays any 13 year old can blow up the white house on his fagbook in about a half hour. Is there any way to bring those feels back to movies or are they gone forever? Even when things ARE practical these days most people write it off as CGI regardless.
>>
Posting in an epic thread.

>Do not shoot that green shit at me
>>
>>70592389
>>70592445
>now call him Longjeans and have to correct myself every time
>>
>110 posts
>not one Randy Quaid

I am shocked at you, /tv/. Shocked.
>>
>>70589693
but the original was bad
>>
>>70589829
>>70589829

This is true. Back then films had really shitty CGI or crappy props. Late 90's didn't exactly stand out when it came to great visuals but this movie was one of those rare instance.
>>
>>70603324
>Crappy props

That movie made a billion dollars based off a realistic model of the White House getting detonated. Try that today and they'd call you ISIS.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.