[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How scientifically accurate was this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: sunshine.jpg (2 KB, 69x102) Image search: [Google]
sunshine.jpg
2 KB, 69x102
How scientifically accurate was this movie?
>>
Haven't seen it but judging from that orange sun, not very.

The sun's light is bright white.
>>
ive never seen a more inappropriate question for a specific movie, congrats op

you're either lobbing solid bait or a colossal fucking retard
>>
Not at all. Quenching the sun's fusion reaction at random would require the physics of our universe to change.
>>
Pretty realistic, except for trying to heat up the sun with nukes.
>>
>>70578931
>there is gravity inside the ship
It isn't.
>>
>>70579113
There is a reason for that in the movie. It's reason they are in space in the first place.
>>
>>70579329
>smart enough to build a ship that can get near the sun
>not smart enough to invent practical artificial gravity
>>
What is the likelihood of the sun burning out before an asteroid hits earth?
>>
>>70579376
Completely irrelevant.
>>
>>70579331
Ah okay.

>>70579381
Very slim?

Asteroids hit Earth all the time. If you're talking about one that will cause a mass extinction, then it's still very likely. On the other hand, it will take around 5 billion years for the sun to destroy Earth.
>>
>>70579376
Also, movies have invented practical artificial gravity, via centrifugal force. Which this doesn't use apart from 2 places in the ship, none of which appear in the film iirc.
>>
>>70579513
>implying they aren't using mercurial toroids and EM fields
>>
File: Screenshot_20160607-152430.png (578 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160607-152430.png
578 KB, 1080x1920
>>70578931
I fixed your picture for you
>>
Well if we would be here in 4chan years
>>
>>70578931
It's a true story, fucking retard.
>>
On the DVD copy I used to have physicist Brian Cox (who I believe was also a scientific advisor on the movie) did an audio commentary. It's an interesting listen if you can find it anywhere. For sure, it's not scientifically accurate (you can't nuke the sun, sadly), but a lot of the wider concepts surrounding the overall plot are based in science.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.