[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else find this preachy faggot insufferable? >FUCKING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10
File: GeorgeCarlin.jpg (332 KB, 753x1024) Image search: [Google]
GeorgeCarlin.jpg
332 KB, 753x1024
Anyone else find this preachy faggot insufferable?

>FUCKING FOR PEACE IS LIKE THE DISAPPOINTED CYNIC SCRATCH THE IDEALIST AND THE GOVERNMENT ALWAYS LIES AT THE CIRCUS WHERE YOU HAVE A FRONT ROW SEAT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE ASLEEP TO BELIEVE IT AT ALL AT ALL INVISIBLE MAN IN THE SKY WANTS LOVE MARIJUANA AND WANTS TO DECRIMINALIZE MONEY ASSHOLE ASSHOLE ASSHOLE
>>
did you really have to make a thread on 4chan to bag on an old dead man?
>>
>>70567949

/thread

F
>>
>>70566652
I agree
>>
He isn't even funny.
>>
>>70566652
>>70568341

t. Christfags
>>
>>70566652
His bro died at the red wedding and the Iron born took his castle. Fuck you.
>>
>>70566652
I don't agree with him on everything, just like you, but you gotta admit the way he speaks about it is comedy masterpiece.
Why are irish comedians so much better than american ones?
>>
Yeah. I saw his "comedy" standups but all I saw was some liberal whining about MUH HOMELESS.
>>
He's the proto"really makes you think..."
>>
>>70568846
Hello Americunt
>>
>>70568818
>screaming about things
>comedy masterpiece

Nah. It was an angry old man getting paid for telling people to fuck off and go die, and that's inherently funny because people love hearing someone angrily critizicing other people as long as they agree with it, there was no actual genious behind the concept. It's basically the same as videos of people falling and getting hurt.
>>
>>70566652
hey i made this thread yesterday
>>
In the comedy circuit hes seen as groundbreaking, but not funny. The most he ever got out of me was a chuckle, like that bill hicks fuck
>>
>>70566652
Yeah, I can't stand his stupid preaching.
>>
>>70566652
>Anyone else find this preachy faggot insufferable?
Well it is comedy for anyone who has ever had a critical thought in their lives. Obviously, you aren't smart enough to have your own thoughts and opinions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRtchtlc7fw
oh look. It's larry the cable guy. He seems to be more your mental speed. Now don't worry, he isn't really hurt, that is just an act. I can see how that would scare you. But it is ok. Just keep watching. He might say git er duuuuuun.
>>
>>70569731
So does this confirm that George Carlin is the Neon Genesis Evangelion of comedians?
>>
>>70566652
Was he even a comedian? He just said things and people would clap and agree with him. When the fuck am I supposed to laugh?
>>
>>70566652

well, he was raised by a single mom
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 420x420
>hates religion
>only ever bags Christianity
>preaches his reddit cult constantly
>>
>>70569849
Overrated trash for pretentious tryhards? Absolutely
>>
>>70568990
This. Only lefty faggots like him
>>
There are plenty of comedians out there addressing groundbreaking topics like the pitfalls of marriage or raising children. Try one of them.
>>
George Carlin comes across like a dopey idiot. Who actually ever found him insightful or smart in any way?
>>
File: 1462982251203.jpg (66 KB, 400x355) Image search: [Google]
1462982251203.jpg
66 KB, 400x355
>>70569888
>>
>>70569997
You seem to be implying the Carlin himself is opposition to these lesser comedians is tackling weighty and important issues. Surely this was some kind of mistake on your part
>>
>>70566652
He's still influential. I don't think guys like Bill Hicks or Doug Stanhope would be the same without Carlin paving the way.

That said, he thought he was a whole lot smarter than he was.
>>
File: 1460154231423.jpg (55 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
1460154231423.jpg
55 KB, 416x416
>autismical teenagers talking shit about George Carlin
>>
>>70570056
It was a bad influence and a bad path to pave. He wasn't smart at all, he just had a massive ego. He didn't really have any significant thoughts, be just offered a dopey idiot perspective on things he didn't really understand. Being mad at the establishment doesn't make you smart
>>
>>70569849
>>70569914
Please. With a million dollars, jew writers, and 10 years time, neither one of you low iq dullards couldn't make a better stand up bit than even Larry the cable guy.
Carlins comedy is just too smart for you. You are the half wit reps of our society. I'm sure that there will be plenty of ouch my balls on tv for you and your kind tonight. just stay out of comedy. It's not for you.
>>
>>70570123
HAIRLINE
A
I
R
L
I
N
E
>>
>>70570174
Usually, when you bait, you make it sound like what you're saying is your genuine opinion! Next time, try that!
>>
>>70569914
>pretentious tryhards

What does this even mean? I'm trying hard to laugh? You just shot off a string of random buzzwords
>>
>>70570215
Don't you have a big bang theory episode to go back to?
Bazingo kill yourself.
>>
>>70570053
I'm not implying any such thing.

Humor is subjective. You either find Carlin funny or you don't. (Personally I consider him more amusing than humorous) but his originality is undeniable. He's still being ripped off 40 years later.
>>
>>70570257
>Bazingo kill yourself.

Hey, I laughed at this harder than I did at any of Carlin's material. Maybe you should make a name for yourself in the stand-up circuit!
>>
>>70570123
I dislike pretty much every single comedian I've ever seen honestly. All comedy seems to be is people ranting about social issues and making stupid assertions about the nature of things, then when someone criticizes these thoughts and assertions, they just fall back on the "it's just jokes bro" routine, even though they clearly do genuinely believe everything they're saying.
>>
>>70570157
Whoa there buddy, simmer down. Carlin did have some unique ideas. I liked his put my shit in a smaller case but only take the shit I need bit. Obviously a guy like Tom Segura is funnier, but he basically only tells topical jokes which is the doritos of comedy. There is no substance there. You're basically whining that a dadrock prog rock band didn't play pop music. No, that's also not what they were trying to play. Same thing here.
>>
>>70570300
t. german
>>
Conservative children are the worst thing to happen to this site tbbqh. Unoriginal, unfunny, underaged.
>>
>>70570279
Being original doesn't make his act less obnoxious and ignorant anon. He was a man who wasn't very bright whi got uplifted as some kind of insightful social critic. He isn't particularly funny, and his opinions on society are poorly conceived
>>
>>70570426
What do you expect from drones who blindly follow reality tv stars who run for office? next it'll be snookie for president. Might as well burn the constitution and this country down. It's finished.
>>
>>70570426
I blame /news/ and later /pol/.

The influx of easily offended christfags and stormkiddies post 2010 killed this site's userbase for good.
>>
>>70570483
He basically had the same message of anybody who has done psychodellics. Which is that of ego death and self awareness, to question the way we live because it's all pretty arbitrary. You don't have to agree with him, but he certainly wasn't stupid.
>>
>>70570348
I'm trying to point out that George Carlin wasn't a very smart man in any regard, his act had no substance and he directly appealed to popular sentiment. He was in no way a prog rock analog of comedy
>>
File: 1464090714599.jpg (50 KB, 463x543) Image search: [Google]
1464090714599.jpg
50 KB, 463x543
>>70570491
>he believes in the two party system
>he thinks a reality tv star wouldn't be the same if not better than corrupt career politicians
>>
>>70570610
>corrupt tv star businessman vs. corrupt career politicians

One actually has experience running the country at least
>>
>>70570553
He certainly was stupid, as experiencing ego death is meant to be the first step in reconstructing your true ego and integrating the disparate parts of your psyche into your waking consciousness. Taking the first step of psychological development, then just stopping and stewing in a false sense of disillusionment isn't the mark of a smart man.
>>
>>70570577
How did his act have no substance, I just told you the message. A guy like Dane Cook or Louis Cuck K have no substance or message. A guy like Doug Stanhope has a message and is definitely influenced by Carlin. His bit on being offended by words because your parents were too stupid to raise you is golden.
>>
>>70570665
>experience being a corrupt politician
>relevent to doing anything more than what you're bribed to do
>>
>>70570577
You're taking Carlin more seriously than he ever likely took himself.

His basic message was that modern life is mostly a nonsensical charade that we all are guilty of.
>>
>>70570348
thanks, mommy..but it's DJ dadmouth
betta put sum respek on tha name
>>
>>70569141
>implying he only screams
The only people who don't find compeltely ANYTHING funny in the whole mount of stuff he made are:
>religious extremists
>right wing extremists because anything liberal will easily outweight anything Carlin said that conservative could agree with
>people who can't laugh at themselves ("you think this is fucking funny?! Do you think I'm fucking laughing?!" types)
>or anyone who gets butthurt easily, can't stand other opinions even for a second, can't chill and take a look at some other perspective just for laughs

Have some variety of kis jokes. He didn't always scream. He wasn't always "angry". He wasn't always left wing or right wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjjPlEW9bRM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnT8i_PwDJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEQixrBKCc
>>
>>70570672
Because every single assertion he makes about society is based on dopey, uninformed populist sentiment the is directly tailored to appeal to the masses. Half of his bits are fueled by an adolescent anger towards parents and parenting. A man of his age shouldn't still have the mentality that he did.

Do you honestly not see within Carlin a man with a massively over inflated ego who's just ranting about things he doesn't understand half as well as he thinks he does? It's obvious that most of his thoughts were formed as an opposition to someone elses thoughts rather than forming his thoughts independent of social subjugation
>>
>people implying that a comedian "having a message" makes them superior, despite the fact that the message is only there to sell tickets and make you feel a connection to them

It's entertainment. People like different things. Comparing comedians on a valued basis is dumb as hell
>>
>>70570959
also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nknAzQPHE
>>
>>70570995
This is it, this is why I can't fucking stand him.

Thank you for articulating this so clearly
>>
>>70570887
It is, and he's just a clown perpetuating this charade rather than cutting through it.
>>
>>70570959
Good god, get out of your own asshole. Negatively categorizing people because they don't like what you like is extremely infantile. I'm fairly liberal but I'm not a fan,because nothing he says is profound, and most of his jokes rely on you believing that he is some kind of genius
>>
I thought he was good during his time.

Perhaps cliche now in this the current year of 2016 and the rampant contrarian culture that made being "edgy" popular and so now we have to revert backwards.
>>
>>70566652
I liked him in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
>>
>>70570995
>the is directly tailored to appeal to the masses
Like whole entertainment industry, including Television & Film :^)

>A man of his age shouldn't still have the mentality that he did.
I could say a men of age of people who come to this site shouldn't have the mentality they have, or shouldn't watch chineese cartoons, or shouldn't have petty argues about comedians, or shouldn't come to such place insetad of working to support family at all. Why does your or mine point of view on what someone should do is superior to someone's else?
>>
>>70570717
>Thinking a businessman who literally said he no longer cares about voting corruption because he won is better
>believing that he can buck an entire system of corruption because "muh wall"
>>
>>70571077
Well duh he's an entertainer, I've read his books and believe me Carlin doesn't pretend to be friggin Foucault.
>>
>>70570959
your a dorable
>>
>>70571286
>thinking your vote mattered in the first place
>not voting for the wildcard because there is no reason not to
>>
>>70566652
He got preachy sometimes and I don't agree with everything he said, but he was very intelligent and a thought provoking performer. Wish there were more comedians like him today but now its all DUDE STRAIGHT WHITE REPUBLICAN MALES AMIRITE LMAO or LADIES I HAVE A VAGINA THAT BLEEDS AND I HAVE SEX LMAO.
This is a terrible comparison but its honestly the only mainstream performer that I can think of that at least tries to make you think or reflect on yourself and the world, and thats Bo Burnham. Even though he literally has a song called straight white male, the rest of his new special is alright.
>>
>>70570995
The fact that a large portion of his fanbase consists of young males of moderate intelligence who mistakenly believe they border on genius doesn't help, either. Typically it seems like their first exposure to ages-old "ideas" are from Carlin rants, so he seems like a flagship of brilliant and original thought to them
>>
>>70571279
Nobody here is being propped up as a famous and insightful social critic who is sited as a major influence in our field decades later. You seem to be asserting some false sense of egalitarianism, in which each thought is inherently as worthless or as valuable as all thought, regardless of it's actual quality, all that matters is that you like it and it feels good. This is why George Carlin and his poorly formed thoughts appeal to you.

If you confront a higher quality thought that conflicts with your feel good thought and you don't like it, you can easily convince yourself to just dismiss it off hand and cling to what's comfortable
>>
File: 1465073210597.jpg (34 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1465073210597.jpg
34 KB, 640x640
I get that hes like important cultural touchstone and changed the way Americans approach comedy probably more than anyone else in the last 30 years but I think he is painfully unfunny and none of his stuff has aged well
>>
>>70570299
Well that friend proves you are a retard.
>>
>>70566652

You made the exact same thread yesterday faggot and nobody responded

/reddit/ ----->
>>
>>70571519
It's always the people who aren't nearly as smart as they think they are that immediately try to lord any knowledge they acquire over others and start to build this perception of everyone being idiots but them and a few other people who agree with them. Reaching this state is actually a regression of mental growth. You can tell George Carlin just stopped developing psychologically and was caught in a perpetual loop for the rest of his life
>>
>>70571518
Bill Maher is actually like that today. He ripped the fuck out of Emory University when they started freaking out about someone writing in chalk "Trump 2016" and calling for campus safe spaces and seminars on anti-racism.
>>
>>70571518
If you need to be "made to think" rather than just always thinking regardless of what you watch or what you do, you're going about this life all wrong. Are you a "shut your brain off and just watch it" kind of guy anon?
>>
>>70570348
>By now you've got shit spread out all over the WOOORLD

That bit is pure genius. A lot of his earlier stuff was gold, situational comedy, pointing out absurdities in every day life. Nothing wrong with his later stuff either, Grumpy Cranky Old Man Carlin is best Carlin imo. Edgy shitlord teens need not apply.
>>
>>70570532

The funniest part is is they call others easily offended
>>
>>70571077
>you are now aware that jesters could get away with saying scathing shit about the king and court because "lol he pies himself and eats his own shit"
>you are now aware that "comedians" are nothing more than modern day jesters
>>
>>70570671
>true ego
>>
>>70571460
>realizing your vote doesn't count at all
>still voting

You're a fucking retard m8. As is anyone who can't see that Trump is an obvious trojan horse whose only purpose was to derail the Republican party and hand Hillary the election. He's been bff with the Clintons for over 2.5 decades now and nothing has changed. He's literally a puppet/shill for Hillary. That's it. Remember the last few elections, when he was a democrat? Now he's a republican all of a sudden. He's not gonna do shit but toe the line if he somehow ends up in the office.
>>
>>70566652
>I'm an American and I don't understand.
>>
>>70572164
But what if he wins?

I want another Bush to liven up the news. Think of the entertainment value.
>>
>fucking for peace is like the disappointed cynic

Did Carlin really believe in fucking for peace?
>>
>>70572263
At most he'll be a Bush Lite. He isn't going to do any of that "Make America Great Again" bullshit, that's just to rally up the stupid vote. It's basically Obama's Change 2.0. Just fairytale bullshit he spouts to get elected and will never even come to pass when he does. People actually think the senate and congress won't veto the shit out of anything he tries to do?

I just can't wait to see all the normie butthurt if he gets elected and all the butthurt from the shit heads who believed in and voted for him when he does nothing. Nothing beats a double dip.

>>70572317
>Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity

is the actual quote from Carlin
>>
>>70573612
I want him to trash talk and pick fights and be a tyrant
>>
>>70574003
And I would like a billion dollars please. He's not going to do any of that shit. He's a puppet, a shill for the Clintons, whose only objective is derailing the Republican party.
>>
File: baitfedora.png (103 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
baitfedora.png
103 KB, 625x626
>>70569731
>>70570174
>>70570257
>>
>>70569141
>Too stupid to look at things like his impeccable delivery and instead have to focus on subject matter he covered that you don't like
>>
>>70570056
>Bill Hicks
Worst thing to happen to comedy
>>
>>70571983
To be fair, they aren't wrong when idiots clog up threads complaining about /pol/ and telling everyone who says nigger to go back to /pol/ like a bunch of newfags.
>>
>>70566652
i don't think he actually said that
>>
>>70574456
wow /tv/ I am actually proud of you for once
>>
File: 1447000771980.jpg (28 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
1447000771980.jpg
28 KB, 400x396
>>70569899
>>hates religion
>>only ever bags Christianity
this has never been a valid criticism of any comedian
>>
>>70569899
Because he's speaking from experience. He obviously has more experience with Christians than Muslims or whoever, so he's going to talk directly about them because he completely understands the culture
>>
Maybe if you only listen to his last few specials. His 70s and 80s stuff was much more low key and focused on observational absurdity.
>>
>>70570959
>He wasn't always left wing or right wing.

do you think his shift was personal or did he simply saw money in it? Honest question
>>
>>70574774

To be fair, Carlin's late ramblings are hardly comedy.
>>
>>70570056
Hicks and Stanhope are trash though
>>
>>70570532
>>70570426
This. Carlin taught me to stick it to the man, and his blanket generalizations about complex subjects confirm perfectly my vague infantile suspicions that the ivy league elites like Clinton, Bush, or Obama are working against me
Isn't that hilarious? What a great comedian, also Christians are unenlightened idiots
>>
>>70577395

>stick it to the man
>says it ironically

what happened to your 2nd amendment defense?

>blanket generalizations

if he made those as you claim, that would make him a rightwinger.

>Christians are unenlightened idiots

yes

btw has anyone noticed how lately they changed up their propaganda game, the stormtroopers I mean? They keep saying that fascism is not rightwing, kek
>>
>>70577679
Yes, I'm a fascist who defends Obama.
You seem new as fuck
>>
>>70566652
Name one fucking comedian who is better than mister conductor. Who isn't Richard Pyror.
>>
>>70577775
>I'm a fascist who defends Obama.

Obama is the commander in chief of a superpower army, the political leader of Guantanamo and under his presidency oppression rose to unprecedented records. He's the most oppressive president in your history. Not that other prezos wouldn't do the same, or weren't more ill-willed, it's just that he doesn't really run the show and the technology rose to these levels where they monitor us all the time and we have accepted people getting kidnapped from across the world, being held without a defined accusation and imprisoned arbitrarily.
>>
>>70577902
Louis CK is unironically my favorite comedian
>>
>>70566652

Anyone born before 1991 was a mistake.
>>
>>70566652
Nah. He was pretty good. Sorry this is causing such distress in your life.
>>
File: k.jpg (273 KB, 948x1030) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
273 KB, 948x1030
George's act can be annoying at times, but he still hits enough points and executes well enough to be enjoyable. He is far better than Hicks, who I think fully believed in his own bullshit. With that said Hicks is far better than modern faggots like Stuart Lee who bail out using irony as defense as soon as they are pressed. I do like David Cross, who is probably just as preachy as all of the above yet for some reason is not as obnoxious.
>>
>>70578746
>is not as obnoxious

I saw him live not too long ago on his Make America Great Again tour and he was obnoxious as fuck, it was an hour of Trump bashing essentially.
>>
File: a.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
>>70578816
I should have said that I was referring to his late 90s and 00s work. I have not followed his stand up lately.
>>
>>70566652
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SUIiIP1DB8

this is probably the best / funniest criticism of George Carlin I've heard. For extra laughs read the comments from his butthurt fans
>>
>>70578936
Okay, because now he's CURRENT YEAR man but with less hair and who knew most of his audience was there for Tobias.
>>
>>70578746
The only time I've ever enjoyed watching David Cross do anything is when he's Tobias.
>>
>>70578936
This was a great album. I can appreciate liberals when they're funny, but when they're just explicating MSNBC's latest talking points for an hour and a half, it's fucking boring

>>70578975
I don't like George Carlin much but Opie & Anthony aren't exactly qualified to do this takedown
>>
>>70566652
Everything after Class Clown was shit.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.