[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Silent Movies General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8
File: dee dub griffith.png (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dee dub griffith.png
38 KB, 480x360
Does anyone else on /tv/ really enjoy Silent Films?
>>
File: buster with wood.gif (999 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
buster with wood.gif
999 KB, 500x250
Huh. Guess not :/
>>
/tv/ is all about Game of Plebs and capeshit these days, everyone who genuinely likes films have been driven out long ago. Save yourself while you still can.
>>
File: nazimova.gif (494 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
nazimova.gif
494 KB, 500x365
>>70538292
It doesn't have to be that way. Be the change you want to see in the world, anon
>>
>>70538467
Well alright then, I'll entertain this thread since it's here and there is nothing better on the board.
D.W. Griffith was a master of an art form that didn't even exist in his time. Too bad that the very valid points he makes in Intolerance are entirely disregarded thanks to the KKK scenes in Birth of a Nation.
>>
File: gish fakes a smile.gif (999 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
gish fakes a smile.gif
999 KB, 500x313
>>70538720
Yeah, it's a real shame the guy is remembered for The Birth of a Nation instead of something like Broken Blossoms. By modern standards, BB is racist, but that's all revisionist bullshit history. For its time it made a very daring statement about love reaching across cultural and racial lines. And yet the guy still gets pinned with the reputation of being a racist against miscegenation all because his first film is so gloriously propagandistic for the wrong side.
>>
>>70538208
As for Buster Keaton and the old comics, I've always thought it was really impressive what they managed to do with the means they had available. Like the scene of the falling wall where he's standing in the window as it crashes down over him. Those guys had balls of steel.
>>
>>70539676
Or comedies* I guess they're called. Fucking english.
>>
File: harold lloyd.jpg (76 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
harold lloyd.jpg
76 KB, 500x500
>>70539676
Harold Lloyd, the often forgotten third comedian/slapstick/stunt pioneer pictured here was actually afraid of heights.

I agree. Movie stars are pussies nowadays. Go climb a clock, you millionaire faggots. Prove you're worth something more than a "performance" where you spend the whole movie in closeups.
>>
>>70539808
The most charming aspect of silent films is that it's often very obvious that it was such a new industry and they were simply trying push the boundaries. The level of creativity the writers and directors had back then was so much greater than the mass produced crap of today.
>>
File: 216.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
216.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
I really tried many years ago but they just bore me to death and the overacting is jarring. The only exceptions are german expressionism films.
>>
>>70538292
Maybe they'd like this
https://vimeo.com/129072983
>>
>>70540485
>https://vimeo.com/129072983
A noble effort, but even given the silent treatment, The Phantom Menace is still a shit film.

>>70540330
Try The Big Parade by King Vidor. It's a rarity in that it's a WWI movie made in the wake of the actual war. The movie is surprisingly modern. Most people I know who have trouble with Silent Films can at least enjoy The Big Parade and for a couple of my friends it's led them to seek out other stuff.
>>
>>70538968
actually, it was based on a bestselling novel. griffith didn't come up with the plot
>>
>>70540606
I think the one silent movie almost everyone can enjoy is Sunrise, but mostly because Murnau was way ahead of his time, and at least decade ahead of 20s Hollywood.
>>
>>70540943
Well, yeah. Sunrise is pretty unanimously agreed to be the high-water mark for Silent Cinema. I was trying so suggest a path slightly less trodden, but still worthwhile.

My point being people should watch more King Vidor.
>>
File: Salome.png (132 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Salome.png
132 KB, 640x480
One final bump
>>
>>70541014
The Wind is a 9/10 silent
Wings is up there too
>>
op have you watched anything from kirsanoff?
>>
>>70537902
I recoginze that this intertitle is from Intolerance, at least. Watched von Stroheim's The Merry Widow last night and didn't think it was very good.
>>
>>70540606
I watched The Big Parade years ago on VHS and thought of it a lot when I was watching The Merry Widow last night, because of John Gilbert. He's in The Big Parade, if I'm not misremembering?
>>
File: page of madness.png (339 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
page of madness.png
339 KB, 640x480
>Georges Méliès burned his films in a bucket
>The baby from Repas de bébé died of the flu at age 24
>>
>>70545767
kinugasa goat
>>
Who likes La Roué?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.