[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How accurate do you think the time depiction in this movie is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: interstellar-imax-poster.jpg (1 MB, 765x1194) Image search: [Google]
interstellar-imax-poster.jpg
1 MB, 765x1194
How accurate do you think the time depiction in this movie is? Like when that one planet was weeks of earth time for every minute spent on it.
>>
Who cares, movie is total shit
>>
>>70529231

You do realise that this is science fiction right?
>>
>>70529231
Who cares, whatever time you have you'll waste shitposting
>>
>>70529231
you should've stop caring about realism after they explained wormholes like holes in folded paper
>>
>>70529231
The time dilation, minsus the multidimensional black hole magic box, due to gravity is pretty accurate. Everything else is pretty much fiction.

>>70529298
Why? I thought it was a good movie to watch on a summer evening. Science fiction is always fun.
>>
>>70529231
dropping in the plot device of a black hole so extreme it causes this time dilation sure helped
>>
>>70529231
I remember reading an article about what scientists thought were inaccurate in the movie and the time stuff wasn't one of them, if for no other reason than we still just don't fucking know, so you might as well just do what you feel.
>>
>>70529231
there would be nowhere near that amount of time dilation unless the people involved we literally up a black holes ass, in which case they would have been atomized.

so it's not accurate at all, but time dilation does work like that on a much more subtle level.

e.g. in orbit around the Earth time passes slightly faster because the gravity is weaker, but its in the order of millionths of a second.
>>
File: Pepe clay.gif (1 MB, 300x313) Image search: [Google]
Pepe clay.gif
1 MB, 300x313
>>70529402
>they explained wormholes like holes in folded paper
>to the top NASA pilot
>after they're already on an escaped trajectory

this scene and the one in The Martian where the brilliant idea was a basic slingshot manouvre made me laugh pretty hard
>>
>>70529825
actually the math to determine how much time dilation there is under specific conditions have been known since Einstein. the movie ignores the math in favor of a more extreme version so that they can have the scenes they want.
>>
>>70529947
this. I also read that Gargantua spinning 99'9% the speed of light would've make possible for a planet to stay right in the event horizon without being slowly sucked in.

the fucking movie is great. lots of flaws and shit dialogs but fuck do I love space and fucking Zimmer.
>>
>>70529890
Ahaha, I also love when my intellectual capacity surpasses the one portrayed in the motion picture I'm consuming. I laugh out loud and shake my head during those situations while gently rubbing my neckbeard.

#JustHightIQPeopleStuff
>>
>>70530139
relativity is actually a super-elegant and simple (ish) theory once you grasp the fundamentals. maybe someday there'll be a movie about how it works. perhaps the Avatar movies will talk a bit about how the ship gets to pandora.
>>
>>70529231
Time dilation does exist but in order to be like 1 hour here 7 years on earth you have to either travel very fast (faster than possible with spaceship) or be too close to black hole (closer than really possible). Actually Interstellar have A LOT of scientifical mistakes, they are literally everywhere. For instance you need a huge rocket to escape earth gravity but later in a film they escape 130% earth gravity planet with a lander etc.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.