[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me out /tv/, What are some essential Jap films about pre-Meiji
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: chinesebootlegfireworks.jpg (423 KB, 1050x558) Image search: [Google]
chinesebootlegfireworks.jpg
423 KB, 1050x558
Help me out /tv/,

What are some essential Jap films about pre-Meiji era warfare on a grand scale, featuring sieges and the like.

Shamefully I've only seen Ran, I caught it again last night and decided to seek advice on what to watch next etc.
>>
>>70517632

You could start by finishing off other Kurosawa works tbqh.
>>
>>70517656

Yeah, I've got Kagemusha on the list. Kurosawa has done some great stuff, but I'm focusing on the epic, daimyo/shogun material really.
>>
File: How To Get Into Kurosawa.png (682 KB, 1094x1698) Image search: [Google]
How To Get Into Kurosawa.png
682 KB, 1094x1698
>>
Samurai Reincarnation.
>>
Has anyone ever made a film about guys like Ii Naomasa or Date Masamune? They're really interesting figures from Japanese history and Id be shocked if there wasnt some sort of historical biopic about either of them.
>>
>>70519095
reminder that akechi mitsuhide did literally nothing wrong
>>
>>70519154
I dont think any of the warlords of the time did anything inherently "wrong" they were just doing their thing, just with lots of bloodshed.
Oda Nobunaga, on the other hand...that guy was a dick.
>>
>>70517632
Not a Jap film/series, but watch James Clavell's Shogun.

Better yet, READ Shogun. It will be one of the best books you'll ever read.
>>
File: 1464448949305s.jpg (3 KB, 112x125) Image search: [Google]
1464448949305s.jpg
3 KB, 112x125
>>70519218

Wasn't interested in William Adams/Shogun.

Again, I don't know if there are any about aside from Kurosawa's works.

But I'm looking for cinematic epics of warfare and sieges in a post-modern Japanese setting.

The politics, the war tents, the intrigue, assassins etc.

Any good films with that aesthetic would be appreciated.
>>
>>70519488
post-modern?

I don't know any grand battle films, just smaller samurai/clan clashes like 13 Assassins. The last Samurai has a big battle, but it's American and right at the end of the feudal.shogun period.

You will have an easier time looking for epic battles in China, Hero is a good example. They all look the same, right?
>>
Ran is overrated in my opinion. Shitty King Lear adaptation including stilted language (captions anyway) and acting. The picture is pretty and Kurosawa brings a lot of kineticism on screen. But in terms of showing what exactly goes on at any given time I might as well have watched Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
>>
>>70517796
Cool.

So far i watched Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood and Ran.
>>
>>70519488
>>70519668
>post-modern
My fuck up, I meant pre but for some reason I said post.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.