[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/swg/ Screenwriting General What are you writing? Any new ideas?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
File: 1454040769392.jpg (7 KB, 260x274) Image search: [Google]
1454040769392.jpg
7 KB, 260x274
/swg/ Screenwriting General

What are you writing?
Any new ideas?
Got writers block?

Discuss fell writers
>>
Is there any screenwriting apps out there? For Android specifically
>>
>>67700688
Not sure about for android, but iOS at least has Celtx's scriptwriting app, it's helpful.
>>
i seem to be a lot better with ideas and treatments than i am with actual screenplays.

doesn't even feel like technical problems either although i know i have weaknesses.. it's just.. can't seem to do "rough" drafts and sane editting either. i write something and it may be good or whatever but my perfectionism and ocd start kicking in and im more likely to just destroy the draft and start over. whenever i try to edit it gets even more frustrating because the rhythm gets lost and i feel like im trying to do patchjobs on a sinking ship.

so now i don't do anything with a script until it's already very close in my head, and then when i do, i don't know how to move forward after that first draft. everything i write feels like shit on one level or another. i think im going to need to direct. fuck.

send help please.
>>
>>67700628
I got two scripts that I'm producing/directing (finally, actually making something for once).

One is a neo-noir script written by me and some other people who've never seen a neo-noir.
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRTThUYjVJOTNkcWs

The other is a silent short in the vein of Jacques Tati. I'd never watched a Tati film before this but it seemed interesting from what I saw.
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRSDJzOUFkNjJyNzQ
>>
I wanna to a romantic comedy drama but I feel like it's been done to death that it's not possible to be redeemable, but that's all I can think of for screenplays
>>
Tell me what you think

It's a comedy-drama set in 1960s New York about a vampire who has lived many lives for centuries. She is bored and lonely, and makes her living as a landlady to an apartment building. Her assistant's boyfriend is a freshly-hired reporter who starts looking into her odd life. After some relationship drama and vignettes detailing her daily exploits, she gets into a situation where she is forced to kill off the only people in her life one by one, and discovers that she can't die after all, and it ends with her abandoning her current identity and moving on, again.

There's a lot of Billy Wilder influence in the way I want it to be made, which includes filming in black and white.
>>
>>67700628

I will eventually start my tv pilot script after more reading and research and shit. On paper it's House of Cards meets The West Wing meets The Manchurian Candidate.

Was gonna do specs but apparently they're kinda obsolete now.
>>
>>67701195
It could be servicable, I'd read it.

>>67700921
Just go ahead and write that shit. Who cares if it sucks, the fact that you have something on paper is a great start.
>>
>>67701378
Good to hear.
>>
Bumping even though I'm going to sleep now.
>>
Writing a short film about a guy trying to convince someone to not jump off a bridge. Want it to be a solid 20 min conversation, and then the guy ends up jumping anyway.
>>
How do I format the dialogue? I mean, it's centered, but when it's a long monologue the page is filled up from left to right when it's supposed to stay only in the middle ya know? Help me
>>
>>67701949
What if the guy talking the jumper down after watching the jumper jump just shrugs and says "Woo hoo!" and jumps as well?

Or what if the jumper stands down and says "Thank you" and the talker-downer jumps instead?
>>
>>67701987
I highly suggest you use a screenwriting software, they help so much.

Writerduet and Celtx are my choices, but only in-browser.
>>
>>67702038
Oooo, I really like that second one. The conversation could shift from the talker down trying to justify living, and in doing so realizes he hates his own life
>>
>>67700921
I'm working on a "romantic comedy" horror movie where a total loser wakes who might as well be dead wakes up in a grave yard to find that he has effectively died. he sees the ghosts of the people in the graveyard and becomes a sort of undead monster thing slowly. he discovers the only way to live again is by finding love and tries pursuing girls, but they either ignore him or he accidentally does "monster" stuff like try to drink their blood, leaving horrible notes in human blood on their car windshields ("I WILL EAT YOUR FLESH") instead of writing a love note, etc. His body also starts to fall apart and it becomes a bit of a body horror/comedy type thing. Eventually he realizes a living girl could never love him so he decides to murder the hottest girl in town and do a ritual to bring her back to life so she'll love him. This goes horribly wrong, but I can't decide if she's going to just stay dead or if she wakes up and hates him or what, obviously need to come up with a great gag for this bit. He then finally pays attention to this qt nerdy ghost girl who has liked him for the whole movie but she has moved on or something like that. Not sure how to end it really.
>>
>>67702206
"Well, I guess you're right. Life could be a lot worse."

"Yeah...yeah it could..." he said, approaching the ledge.
>>
>>67702292
Exactly! Fuck, I really like this. Thanks a bunch!
>>
>>67702239
Could be funny, but it could also get really creepy really quick.
>>
>>67702340
I fully plan on it being incredibly creepy. Losers might as well be dead and there is no way to come back to life no matter how hard we try. So we do autistic, scary shit on accident.
>>
>>67702400
Oh, well if that's what you're going for than it could be pretty fucking great.
>>
>>67702449
Thanks anon. I figure the only way someone as hopelessly incapable of talking to femalesas I am can write a romantic movie is if the protagonist might as well be Nosferatu
>>
>>67702239
First that reminds me so much of that romcom where the guy is a zombie (played by the dude from skins) and second were you thinking of Little Piece of Heaven when you came up with this idea? Or at least the second part of it
>>
>>67702548
Are you thinking of the movie Warm Bodies? I've never seen it but I can see the comparison. I have no idea what Little Piece of Heaven is though. The bringing the girl back to life thing is like from the Frankenstein novel/Bride of Frankenstein movie and she hates him in that too. Mine would be more like Bride of Re-Animator though I guess
>>
>>67702695
Yes that is the one movie. A Little Piece of Heaven is a music video that is kinda similar to the second part of the story. Check it out senpai
>>
Post some Youtube links to your work, f a m.

I love watching /tv/ anon stuff.
>>
>>67702772
Fun little compilation of fight clips I did in the middle of the night for the fuck of it.
https://youtu.be/rbs1EmJCJWM
>>
To anybody wondering about that link I just posted (beneath this guy's >>67702826), I deleted the shit out of it because I just started rewatching the video (which I did as a favor for a friend) and I am cringing beyond belief. It cannot see the light of day ever again.
>>
File: 1451267940691.png (822 KB, 438x480) Image search: [Google]
1451267940691.png
822 KB, 438x480
>>67702826
Reminds me of Dragonball Z AMVs of the early 2000's. lol.
There were a few decent transitions in there. good job, mate.
>>
>write a screenplay

now what? my lastname isnt gold or silver so i cant just send it to someone i know
>>
>>67702852
>>67702918

AHAHAHAHA FUCK

That was fucking brilliant, m8. Your sound was shit, but the concept and writing were actually spot fucking on. I really liked that.
>>
File: 1433149616824.png (27 KB, 539x811) Image search: [Google]
1433149616824.png
27 KB, 539x811
any feedback? pls be nice
>>
>>67703032
Send it in to the Blacklist I guess? Try and produce it yourself?
>>
>>67703067
Oscar-worthy material there man
>>
>>67703089
but blacklist is a scam
>>
Do you all dive into writing the script or try to plan everything else first?

I'm having a huge problem with pacing, my movie would probably work better as a series.
>>
>>67700688
This

Any apps?
>>
>>67703062
Oh, thanks man. I really appreciate it, like seriously, I'm always so worried about people seeing this so it means a lot that you enjoyed it. I mean obviously it was just thrown together for 48 hour but it was pretty fun to work on. I did some uncredited rewrites and acted in it. I'll give you a hint, I wear black every day of my life.
>>
>>67703018
Ayy thanks

At some point I'm gonna have to actually do some editing, but this helps me just sort of dick around with Premiere, get a feel for it.
Fuck Avid straight in the ass
>>
>>67703135
you figure out what works for you individually by writing

theres no actual method anyone can teach you except for the basics like the heroes journey

so yeah if youre into it you do it and work out how to become more efficient
>>
>>67702852
Not as bad as you think, senpai. I've seen a lot worse posted here.
The last /swg/ I read, there was this short film posted about a fat ass walking around at a park talking to himself. it was awful.
>>
>>67703171
Kek. Figured you were either the Devil or Trey.

But no, I really liked the concept of it, you could try expanding on it at some point. For some reason your God kinda reminded me of Kristen Schaal.
>>
>>67703218
Kek thanks anon.

>>67703235
I can see that. I honestly don't know any of those people, I went to my friend's hometown to help him and that's about it.

We shot another one for 48 Hour in our city the month before that, this one I think is the better idea but the writing (I actually wrote most of it) is pretty subpar, especially cause it got cut to shit in editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1XsnfYsyGk

for a while we actually talked about expanding this one into something longer
>>
>>67703198
Trying to figure out what your response has to do with my post. I'll keep you updated.
>>
>>67703318
Damn, man, that one hit pretty close to home.
>tfw my name's Tommy
>tfw a friend of mine just died of a heroin overdose
>tfw I feel trapped in this small-town hellscape unable to move on or make any sort of change in my life.

Your writing was really good, man, characterization was nice. Acting could have used some work, and the sound could have as well, but overall solid stuff man.
>>
>>67703218
Shit, I remember watching a little bit of that one. It never upgraded from "fat fucker taking a walk?"
>>
>>67703675
Thanks man. I still wish I had had more time to make it better desu. Yeah, I'm not much of an actor, I just cannot feel comfortable or natural at all, like I can picture how to say it in my head and it sounds great but then it comes out and I'm just not a real human being up there. As for sound, that's what we get for shooting in a fuckin train tunnel. One guy got a rusty nail through his foot. And a junkyard dog almost ate my face off while location scouting
>>
>>67703360
I think he's trying togive you advice without actually saying anything at all.
>>
File: 1459309809303.jpg (19 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1459309809303.jpg
19 KB, 320x320
How can i get kanye to let me make a documentry about him?
>>
>>67703904
just film it but blur his face out
>>
>>67703926
that would make me sad though
>>
>>67703795
>I can picture how to say it in my head and it sounds great but then it comes out and I'm just not a real human being up there
I've dealt with this before. You just gotta...it's kinda weird, but method acting has merit to it. Try just immersing yourself in the idea of your character, think about everything he's been through, and just sorta let that flow through you. Draw from experience; think about how your character would react, then think about similar experience in your own life and act accordingly.
>>
>>67703795
Also
>rusty nail
Holy sweet fuck that sounds painful.
>>
>>67703955
I've studied acting for 3 years, but I changed my major to playwriting last year because I just can't get it. I've always been a writer but I like the idea of acting too (mind you I study theatre and not film, and actually I should also say I am dropping out next month when I should be graduating). I don't know the reason for this, but I am generally an uncomfortable person with a lot of hangups and insecurities (although I don't really know what about or where they come from), and because of that I am not capable of being an actor. Professors have tried and tried to get me to just be more confident and comfortable but I can't do it. It's a personal thing. It's an issue with myself, my personality, the core of my being. I am not cut out to be an actor.
>>
>>67704069
Well, if it's not your thing it's not your thing. I mean, I'm an insecure fuck as well, but something about being on a stage just feels great, it feels...right to me, I dunno.
>>
>>67700838
Could I get some feedback on these
>>
Last bump before I go to bed.

Thanks, /swg/ community. These threads are always fun, and almost always helpful.
>>
>>67704183
i would read it but i have some work i need to do,if this thread is still up in an hour i will read it

otherwise repost it if you can in a future thread
>>
>>67704133
I should rephrase. I'm not really insecure, in that I am fine with who I am. But who I am is fairly reserved I guess. To act you must be able to be vulnerable. But I'm never vulnerable. not even in daily life, not even when bad or embarrassing things happen to me. I don't cover up vulnerability with "putting up walls" and other dumb shit, I just don't experience it. I think, I'm really not sure. The only time I "let loose" is when I'm onstage, too, but that's because I'm a singer for a punk band and I'm not really onstage since we're in our basement and no one is watching. Glad you like acting anon, keep it up

>>67700838
Noir one is kinda neat. Dialogue's a little heavy on the cheese, especially the narration but it works with the story.

I like the silent but I'm not very familiar with Tati. If you have the budget you could add a gag where the tangled ear buds don't come untangled when he falls out of the elevator and the door closes on them, pulling him up with it.

Also maybe slight typo (or I'm just an idiot) where you mix up who is going to the higher floor. But I'm probably just an idiot
>>
>>67704444
Thanks for the feedback, it helps. The cheese was definitely intentional, but I'm sure that part of that was because I fucking suck at writing dialogue.

That idea would be pretty cool, but we have a budget of fuck-all so I don't think that's possible.

Also I get what you're saying about the whole vulnerability thing. That's definitely more where I'm at, if something's fucking with me anyone around me can tell. I cope with laughter but when no one's laughing it...yeah, it just gets depressing and uncomfortable.

All the best, anon.
>>
File: 1452094798005.jpg (73 KB, 500x627) Image search: [Google]
1452094798005.jpg
73 KB, 500x627
>>67703067
I kek'd
good job
>>
Critique Germy's script, The Incredible Inevitable Introverted Existential Inside Out Exploding Adventures of [TITLE PENDING], please:

http://pastebin.com/rkrxPuEj
>>
>>67703032
maybe a berg, a stein or a mann then?
>>
Nigger
>>
Niggers
>>
>>67702206
>>67702292
What about if they're talking about their failures and problems (failed marriage, debt, whatever) and the talker-downer realises that the jumper cheated on his wife (or something). Or maybe the jumper is just so pathetic and immoral it disgusts him

Basically he starts off wanting to save him but ends up wanting to kill him.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.