[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 2
File: six-feet-under-logo[1].jpg (65 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
six-feet-under-logo[1].jpg
65 KB, 1024x768
opinion
>>
>>70479850
A soap opera for young liberals.
>>
An inconsistent show that had a strong showing in it's first 2 seasons before devolving into a sloppy mess the rest of the way. Thanks in large part the final stretch of episodes saving it's reputation in history, it's was at the time a strong complementary piece to the HBO lineup of that time.
>>
Must-watch.
>>
>>70481165
For crybaby faggots.
>>
>>70479850
2nd best show of all time behind Bromide Barium.
inb4 wirefags
>>
>>70479922

>he uses liberals as an insult

I want Reddit to leave
>>
>>70481256
>someone who likes SFU calling anyone a fag
>>
>>70481284
No I didn't. You're just overly sensitive, which is why Six Feet Under is the show for you.
>>
Telekino, ahead of the Wire and the Sopranos, but making up the Trinity of TV's golden age. Emotionally stunted sperg-babies are the only people that don't like the show. Greatest finale of all time. Greatest series of all time.
>>
It was the DEFINITION of an 8.5/10.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 500x435) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 500x435
>>70481362
>>
>>70481428
>Emotionally stunted sperg-babies are the only people that don't like the show
That is exactly who the show's audience was. Bring up Nate Fisher's death and see how many of these fags get teary eyed.
>>
Goat tv show
>>
>>70480545
Nothing wrong with Season 3. Season 3 was where the show really matured and started to break boundaries. Nate and Lisa's relationship isn't fun to watch, but that's the point. I'd be interested to hear your reasoning as to why the show faltered in 3 and 4.
>>
in the process of rewatching after 7 yrs

first two seasons are great

third season is solid but a bit soapish

too much interracial gay shit between dexter and his nig

too much federico home life shit with vanessa. idc bout that puerto rican shit and their family life. it's not that interesting. rico is much better at work where he's funny.

claire's storyline is too angsty at first and all her artsy shit is fuckin gay. if you're a liberal then you'll probly like it tho.

lisa annoys the shit outta me but maybe that's her job

ruth is a great character and once she starts to get happier and take care of her looks more she gets GILF-tier. really good actress and funny without meaning to be when in character.

it's a good show worth watching but goes downhill after season 2. season 3 was good enough but i remember it getting a bit too soapish in the last two seasons.

When i watched it when i was 20 i thought it was great and gave it a solid A -

i'm 26 now and thru 3 seasons i'd give it a B + now
>>
I tried watching it. Couldnt even get through the first episode. It was shit
>>
>>70481511
>"see how many of these fags get teary-eyed"
>it's gay to feel emotion
>being this neckbeard
>being this virgin

kek

sorry about your sperg mate, must suck being stuck to pleb tier tv instead of being able to enjoy the emotionally scintillating telekino of the patrician viewer

go watch dexter, you'll love that
>>
>>70481569
>started to break boundaries
Like?
>>70481633
This is the correct response.
>>
>>70481662
Emotions are fine, but crying over a shitty manipulative soap opera about terrible people is gay.
>>
Huge Alan Ball fan and licensed funeral director.

I've tried to watch it three times, with the most successful being a few episodes into season 3. Aside from a handful of top-notch episodes, it's soap opera blandness disguised as sophisticated because it's on HBO. I get the hype, but it's so uneventful, and its handful of poignant moments don't make up for that.
>>
>>70481865
Well you missed out. Season 3 is where it broke boundaries. Television hasn't been the same since.
>>
>>70481616
the first two seasons are very safe though, the whole point of 3 4 and 5 are that they take risks with the viewer. nate's relationship with lisa is anything but soapy, the conflict and tension there are very real. Lisa wants Nate to love her and want her, to be this perfect idyllic relationship, Nate likes Lisa and cares for her but is only there for the baby, and feels trapped because he doesn't -want- Lisa, he wants to be free, he wants to make decisions for himself, live his own life, but at the same time he's trapped himself by trying to be a good man and do the right thing. Soap operas are "olol Barry's cheating on Steph again, fuck looks like that new bloke's a serial killer"
>>
The pilot episode was really shitty for the first half. But it seemed to hit the stride for the last 10 or so minutes. Rest of season 1 and 2 were solid stuff. Season 3 was merely average with a take it or leave it storyline. Season 4 was mediocre with a disappointing and predictable Dexter storyline and the Lisa death storyline turned to a horrendous misstep in writing "what happened" when they already had the correct method out there.

Season 5 showed signs of a show that had been long past its peak and the show being overall seen as a disappointment and a wasted opportunity, but they somehow managed to put together the correct story line with the correct execution to save the show at the end.
>>
>>70481808
There's nothing manipulative about SFU, the emotions are completely earned. Justify otherwise, I'd be interested to see what you'd say. And as to them being terrible people, it's interesting to me that most people will blandly worship Tony Soprano despite being objectively a cruel and monstrous person, yet disregard SFU characters for being complex, nuanced portrayals of flawed human beings. What makes them terrible people? That they're occasionally selfish?
>>
Truth is, most anons are socially retarded, and can't handle their shows being anything other than friend simulators, which is why they sperg out when some of the characters act in ways that are unlikeable or hard to endorse or approve of. And since most haven't even been in a real relationship, they have no frame of reference for understanding they joys and sorrows of the relationships in SFU, and have to characterise everybody as black and white - either meme characters, or shit characters. They can't handle the nuance or the subtlety outside of extremes.
>>
>>70482108
>disregard SFU characters for being complex
They're not complex.
>nuanced portrayals of flawed human beings
Flawed human beings is code for terrible assholes too self involved to be decent people.
>What makes them terrible people? That they're occasionally selfish?
Occasionally? Are you kidding me? You must be a real sack of shit to think these characters are just occasionally selfish.
>>
>>70481702
Like having a character trapped in a relationship which, far from being abusive, is more like a cycle of self-destruction and self-deception, in which, despite finding it joyless and suffocating, the protagonist endures it for the sake of his principles and his beliefs, and does his best to be a good husband and father, only to inevitably fail, as he doesn't truly love the person he is with, despite coming to care for them and not wanting to see them hurt, and suffers under the burden of their expectations, which in themselves are uniquely heart-breaking, given that the character themself is not genuinely manipulative or selfish, but genuinely lovelorn and desperate to believe that the person does truly love them, and that they can change the person to be the man they have seen with other women, to be that person with them.

That sorta ground-breaking. The only similar character in any form of media I can think of would be Andrei Bolkonski in War of Peace.
>>
>>70482277
>Truth is
You can't handle it. But keep on making long winded posts about how lacking everyone else is.
>most anons are socially retarded, and can't handle their shows being anything other than friend simulators
SFU is just a family simulator in which you feel forgiven for being a massive fuck up.
>which is why they sperg out when some of the characters act in ways that are unlikeable or hard to endorse or approve of.
I just don't care. These people and their soap opera lives are dull to me.
>And since most haven't even been in a real relationship, they have no frame of reference for understanding they joys and sorrows of the relationships in SFU,
Other way around. People who haven't ever been in a healthy relationship find solace and cartharsis in a world where everyone is a mental case.
>and have to characterise everybody as black and white - either meme characters, or shit characters.
It is black and white. These characters suck.
>>
>>70482514
That is neither ground breaking nor interesting. It is the stuff of melodrama.
>>
>>70482340
Don't strawman or prevaricate, justify why they're terrible.
>>
Listen, blasting an Australian tranny's song for the final six (6) minutes for the six (6) final deaths in Six (6) Feet Under as loud as you can while you see some of the worst old people prosthetic makeup you'll ever see on a nationally televised program doesn't make a middling show one of the GOATs.
>>
>>70482583
>truth is you can't handle, it but keep on making long winded blah blah blah blah blah ten page essay blah blah muh butthurt

ahahah, the irony. triggered much? sorry you have no friends, family or lovers anon.
>>
>>70479850
Best television drama of all time.
>>
>>70482752
>has never seen the L Word
>>
Best family drama you'll ever seen on TV.
>>
>>70482671
>melodrama: a dramatic form that does not observe the laws of cause and effect and that exaggerates emotion and emphasizes plot or action at the expense of characterization.

I'm afraid your lack of education and relative illiteracy fails you. There's nothing about my passage which suggests melodrama, but rather, represents the ordinary drama of people's lives, the very substance of real human relationships, and each and every decision taken by the characters is deeply rooted in the character's own personalities, history and pscyhe.
>>
>>70482823
*see
>>
>>70481569
Not the same poster, but it seemed like there was a lack of focus and not much synergy/intersection between the different subplots. watching nate lose his edge is interesting, and claire's storyline is interesting as well, but it's not quite enough. most of what they do with david and ruth is really dull.
>>
>>70482583
>people who haven't been in a healthy relationship

You do know that your lesbian Anon Shepard's relationship with Liara the doe-eyed waifu in Mass Effect isn't even close to being a real relationship, let alone a healthy one, right? I feel bad for you.
>>
>>70482853
You talk like someone whose head is up their own ass. These characters aren't ordinary, and their stories aren't mundane. They're wretched people with soap opera lives.
>>
>>70482949
I mostly stick to movies. Offer a critique of Tokyo Twilight and blow my mind.
>>
>>70482909
Well, from what I remember of s3 David, the issue was that it wasn't just David's self-loathing that was the only thing keeping David and Keith apart, and that the point was all relationships need work to keep going. I really enjoyed it. I liked that the whole point was that Keith kept making it about David because of his own issues with his father's physical violence and his anger, 'cos I've seen it happen myself. The way that he made David something that constantly needed to be fixed or changed, or frequently disregarded his feelings, then got angry at him for being upset, was I thought very real and very true to life. As to Ruth's stuff with Arthur, I think it was? I liked that it was about her desire to meet somebody who was sweet and genuine and uncompromised and reflected her own values, beliefs and utopian desires of people and relationships. The problem being, ofc, that Arthur's a virgin, and deeply emotionally immature, and thus incapable of an actual relationship - the relationship Ruth coveted seemed so perfect because it was so unreal.
>>
>>70483165
Good thing you wrote this big block of text. It wasn't totally obvious in the show itself.
>>
>>70483104
You mean the film that is considered "amongst Ozu's darkest and most melodramatic postwar films", compromised and undermined by abject nihilism, self-pity, and soapy staginess? I'll stick to Story, thanks, but I'd be happy to offer you a criticism of that?
>>
People really have this show all figured out wrong.

The writing really is nothing special at all. Often there's a LOT of cringy lines and bad placed scenes in this show. The themes that it introduces and works with throughout the beginning all the way to the final scene while giving the illusion of a more intimate style, ultimately in skeleton form is fairly obvious for any learned writer.

This is a rare case of Alan Ball lucking out and managing to put together an incredible cast of actors. The cast carries the material to the highest level it could possibly do. When the writing was bad, the actors kept the show afloat. Often times, scenes that were written poorly were saved by the performances done by the main cast.
>>
>>70483240
It was an opinion about a tv show on a tv board, not a defence of the show, or a disagreement, but just saying what I found interesting about the show.

Not sure why it upset you so much, mate, but try not to reply when you're in that frustrated state of mind, it doesn't lend itself to quality posts.
>>
>>70483285
Cite some examples from the show, and rephrase and explain "while giving the illusion of a more intimate style" in a way that makes sense. Style is illusion, it's surface, not substance, and thus opposite to intimacy.
>>
>>70479850
Chris Barnes should really just stop
>>
>>70483268
>I'll stick to Story, thanks, but I'd be happy to offer you a criticism of that?
What is the question here? Sure, write another high school level essay for me, critiquing Tokyo Twilight.
>>70483311
>it doesn't lend itself to quality posts
I'm doing it for the sake of consistency within the thread.
>>
>>70483504
...You don't even know about Tokyo Story? Jesus fucking Christ, do more than google the film next time, you fucking tard, ahaha, oh my god. Maybe look into Ozu's ouevre before trying to cite it to look patrician. This isn't even pleb level, this is just sad. At least plebs are honest or indifferent about their lack of taste, you desperately try to prove it but in the most embarrassing fail possible.

Anyway, maybe don't pick a soapy melodrama renowned for it's excessive sentimentality and try to hold it up opposite a show you accuse of the same things, y'know?

>I'm doing it for the sake of consistency within the thread.
It's good that you admit consistently being a shitter.
>>
>>70483781
You said you'd be happy to write a critique of Tokyo Twilight. Where is it? I didn't ask you to tell me about the film.
>>
>>70483966
>a soapy melodrama renowned for it's excessive sentimentality
>compromised and undermined by abject nihilism, self-pity, and soapy staginess

Where's your carer? Why isn't he reading these things out loud to you?
>>
>>70483966
Now, you write your own eighth grade book report on why you think Tokyo Twilight is a better film than SFU, the tv series

Don't worry, I'll be happy to wait!
>>
>>70484237
That's not actual valid criticism. It's just a summary of criticism you no doubt looked up online.

Since you don't know what actual criticism is, you might either be a NEET or a paid movie critic.
>>
>>70484357
Nope! That is criticism, my friend, just abridged! I don't expect you to recognise it, because, after all, it was all my own! Now, about your own argument...
Waiting! :)
>>
>>70484321
You offered to write a critique. You ssid you'd be happy to do it. I have no interest in comparing a great film with some crap tv show for crybabies.
>>
>>70479850
Its
Fucking
Shit
>>
>>70482340
You cant even argue without using retarded memes you underage pleb.
>>
>>70484446
>That is criticism, my friend, just abridged!
Like I said, a summary of criticism you looked up online. It is not the criticism itself. You offered no insight into the film or said anything specific regarding its content.
>Now, about your own argument...
What argument? You said you'd be happy to write a critique.
>>
>>70482699
>Ghost Nate disappears from view as Claire rides on to her "future".

>Ghost Plate tells Walter White that he's missing a piece
>>
I ssid I'd be happy to do it? Are your fat hammy fingers hitting the keyboard with such force you've lost all coherence in your anger and woe? As far as I'm concerned, you're just a pissy little neckbeard throbbing with frustration, butthurt and shame because I exposed your virginity, a person name-dropping films he's never watched and couldn't understand even with a written guide, emotions and feelings being quite unable to penetrate his little piggy, spergy brain! For what possible reason would I bother writing a two page essay for a person that's hasn't even the reading comprehension to understand 100 word posts? Nah. I've given you -a- critique of TT. Tell me what you think of Tokyo Twilight, and then we'll talk. But, of course, you won't. Because you can't :^)
>>
>>70479850
Crap show.
>>
>>70483014
Fucking THIS. Exactly why I couldnt even get through the first epiode
>>
>>70485092
Sad. Do you not know that humans aren't perfect? Oh well, stick to your superhero trifles and distractions.
>>
The first two seasons were alright, but it was the third season that changed the world.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.