[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just watched this film, and thought it was fucking amazing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 6
File: whiplash.34229.jpg (210 KB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
whiplash.34229.jpg
210 KB, 1400x2100
I just watched this film, and thought it was fucking amazing.

What are your general thoughts?
>>
>>70479257
You'll forget it in a few weeks

Just like everyone else
>>
Pretty fucking fantastic. One of my favorite third acts of any film. I put the blu ray on all the time.
>>
>>70479532
I dunno, I've known about it for months and only just saw it. I REALLY liked it
>>
>>70479257
Best ending ever
>>
>>70479257
Pretty good, but mainly thanks to JK
>>
>>70479257
Only thing negative is the title.

What are we meant to think he's super hard for playing his drums so soon after whiplash..........................
>>
it's okay. the pacing was kind of poor. not quite my tempo.
>>
>>70479257

pretty decent mostly due to Teller and Simmons
>>
>>70480418
I had a lot of respect for Simmons as an actor before seeing this movie, but now I'm convinced he's one of the most underrated actors out there.

The man is a fucking force.
>>
It gave me whiplash.
>>
It's great.
The whole Supergirl subplot was unnecessary, but other than that it was prime kino.
>>
>>70479257
I watched it after being awake for about 36 hours. The last drum solo put me in trance
>>
That last scene was a battle. One of the most intense battles in film too.

God what an ending
>>
>>70479532
This
>>
>>70480375
The name of one of the pieces they played frequently was called "Whiplash".
>>
>>70481861

That brief smile before cut to black.

Gaining the respect of a man that hates you for your own failings.

Wew lad.
>>
>>70479257
Seemed pretty good the first time i watched it a few months ago but haven't had the slightest urge to watch it a second time. The number of asshole characters was annoying to me, particularly in that scene where little drummer boy argues with football boys. They all deserved a good beating. The kid also had his head so far up his own and Charlie Parker's ass I could hardly believe it. I was glad to see him crash his car. Knocked him down a little bit. I'd like to see a sequel where he gets mugged and someone steals his drums and so much bad shit happens to him that he eventually gives up and commits suicide.
>>
File: Whiplash - Tempo.jpg (24 KB, 600x414) Image search: [Google]
Whiplash - Tempo.jpg
24 KB, 600x414
>>70479532
>Can't get the tempo right.

But on a serious note, I quite enjoyed it. Really enjoyed J.K. Simmons performance.
>>
>>70479257
Why the fuck /tv keep talking about the same movies over and over again. How is this posible that so many people only watch and discuss so few movies?
>>
Fletcher did absolutely nothing wrong

He legitimately felt guilty over the kid that killed himself
>>
>>70482700

are you okay, man?
>>
>>70482804
This is more of a meme hub than anything else. Too many people who don't actually give a shit about discussing movies congregate here. I've heard it used to be better years ago though.
>>
Has JK Simmons been good in anything else?
>>
>>70482878
This isn't really hard to figure out. He was hard on those kids but they chose that class and it's a safe bet that they knew what they were getting into.

>>70482885
Thanks for that bait.
>>
It's hard for me to buy the MC's skill on the drums but otherwise a great movie.

>>70481471
It really wasn't though. Everything with the girl mirrors the main plot, from the confidence to ask her out, to the breakup speech, to trying to get back with her when his motivation dips.
>>
>>70479257
i hated the young lad's acting
>>
>>70482878
He felt bad for the kid because it was his only success so far.
>>
>>70482987

Thanks for that (you)
>>
>>70482957
Spiderman was his citizen kane
>>
Fletcher: at the end, was he trying to destroy Andrew's career or was his still trying to get Neiman to rise to the occasion, his way of throwing a cymbal at Andrew's head?

Needless to say, he's an absolute mad man in this film. What's your take on the end? Triumphant or secretly dark?
>>
>>70482957
supporting role in Harsh Times
>>
>>70482957
he was in some Smoking movie with the guy that was two face in the second batman movie

he was really good
>>
Really good. The kids life was whiplash. Going to school, really intense moments from the teacher who goes from inspiring to downright nasty. Getting a girlfriend, ditching her. Difficulty with family, re connection.

The ending was fantastic. Like, I think the teacher is downright awful for driving his former student to suicide, but I still respect his passion for wanting to help create the greatest of all time. The final scene where he is getting angrier and angrier and then realizes that the kid has done it and switches to coaching him through the final part of the song...

It just makes you think about how dedicated you really are to certain goals and what you are willing to go through for them.
>>
>>70483174
The ending is supposed to be bitter.
Andrew will be a good musician, but jazz is dead anyway and he'll live a miserable life for being such a tryhard.
>>
>>70479257
It was a true experience in the cinema. I went to see it with my family. Went in with no expectations at all. I couldn't believe that something as mundane as drumming could have me rapt, but I was on the edge of my seat. One of those you wish you could see fresh all over again.
>>
I don't remember the last time I was "on the edge of my seat" during a finale of a movie.

Fucking great.
>>
>>70483358
>I think the teacher is downright awful for driving his former student to suicide

when is this implied? I thought he genuinely died in a car accident
>>
>>70483358
"You think I'm fucking stupid? I know it was you."

That moment I was terrified for Neiman. I thought it was all over when he got back on the kit and basically stole the band from Fletcher I was cheering him on
Oh god and the final solo, where the song ends, and Andrew's pulling out his solo like "Look what I can fucking do, old man. I'm here to make my career." And you can actually see the respect on Fletcher's face as he realizes Neiman is one of the best and that he actually rose to his standards

God damn. That ending is fantastic
>>
>>70483358
Dude bro Fletcher wins in the end.
>>
>>70483568
Did you even watch the movie senpai
It's not implied, it's outright said.
>>
>>70483568
Not even implied, they straight up tell you in the scene right after Neiman tackles Fletcher for kicking him out of the band
>>
Hella. Fuckin. Epic.
>>
>>70483589
You were cheering Neiman on? That kid was a straight up punk bitch. He let his passion for drumming get in the way of everything else. Fuck that kid. Dumb piece of shit is what he was.
>>
>>70483568
It's not implied. Another character literally tells you this information.
>>
>>70482957
OZ
>>
File: women-laughing-and-having-fun.jpg (60 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
women-laughing-and-having-fun.jpg
60 KB, 600x399
> 2016

> Playing a dead instrument
>>
Not even memed on, I was actually sweating towards the end, nail biting.

>>70483711
I see you've understood the message now. His hubris distorted him. Notice how at the end, when he has no school to go to, no friends (as a result of his shitty behavior), no passion, >no gf, and soon to be no career, he pours all of it into his craft. He redeemed himself THROUGH that which once destroyed him, anon.

It was amazing to see.
>>
>>70483763
Out of all the instruments that appear in the movie, the drum is the one that's dead to you?
>>
>>70483711
You cheer for Neiman to overcome Fletcher but the punk bitch doesn't.
>>
>>70483711
And in the end he proved that he will be one of the greatest ones out there.
>>
>>70483792
>He redeemed himself THROUGH that which once destroyed him, anon.
Only to Fletcher, the rest of Neimans life is in ruin because of it and that was Fletchers plan. Neiman will become exactly that guy who dies in his 30s from drug abuse.
>>
>>70479257

It's a sports movie with jazzz music. I disliked it when I saw it. I don't what people enjoyed so much about it. Felt like a millenial version of Rocky. This board is too shallow. It doesn't make any profound connection with the characters, the story or the music. The car crash and the girl subplot were incredibly stupid. The secondary characters were flat af and the motivations were superficial all thr way true. Fletcher's idol was afucking showman and nothing even a respected drummer, Charlie Parker's stuff was hamfisted and distorted from the irl stuff, and the kid never has moment in the movie were he demostrates any actual passion for music as an art, he seems only interested in the sport of drumming. The finale was a lame masturbatory drum solo that was just noise, no inspiration whatsoever. It was 5-6/10 movie for me. Creed was a better sports flick than whiplash.
>>
>>70483897
>that guy who dies in his 30s from drug abuse.
Neiman doesn't do drugs anon.
>>
>>70483792
A punk ass can't redeem himself by being even more of a punk ass. He had a mental disorder and he needed help. but he was too crazy to know it or get it.

>>70483820
Bad bait.
>>
>>70483926
>The finale was a lame masturbatory drum solo
That drum solo is the most jazz thing in the whole movie.
>>
>>70483955
He will.
>>
>>70483926

Sorry for the grammar, I'm post-drunk.
>>
>>70483897
>Neiman will become exactly that guy who dies in his 30s from drug abuse.

But in the end he will be remembered. He showed that he has the skills to be one of the greatest drummers of all time. Great enough so than instead of being a mediocre he will die young, true, but will be remembered.
>>
why is no one giving miles teller the props he deserves ?
>>
>>70484027
>a modern jazz player
>being remembered
lmao
>>
>>70483874
He could have been great. Too bad he was a punk bitch. He thought being famous was more important than living a happy life. He would rather die of a drug overdose than not be famous. Good thing that's probably how he was going to die eventually.
>>
>>70483998

It was souless filler. You could find a solo like that in a Dream Theater somg. Hardly jazzy.
>>
>>70484039
Most of the drumming wasn't done by him and Simmons performance completely overshadowed his?
>>
>>70484039
They're not here, but check the web elsewhere. He gets a lot of love. It's hard though, because he did a great job, he just had to go up against an Oscar winning performance from Simmons
>>
>>70484080
The solo is mostly composed by Buddy Rich licks.
It's jazz as fuck.
>>
>>70484080
Nigger that is from buddy rich. Don't you fucking dare call one of the greatest drummers of all time "soulless filler"
>>
>>70484010
>Tell me. Do you do drugs?
>YOU WILL

>>70484027
>But he will be remembered
That's why he's a punk bitch. He thinks fame is the most important thing in life. He has his head deep in his own ass, and when it's not in his own ass it's in Charlie Parker's ass.
>>
File: 1371499751981.png (192 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1371499751981.png
192 KB, 500x375
>>70484080
You so realize that was a Buddy Rich piece, right? Are you so contrarian that you can call one of the GOAT jazz drummers filler? Are you just doing this for (you)'s?
>>
>>70484072
>He thought being famous was more important than living a happy life.
It literally is.
Do you remember someone just because he was happy?
Do kids at school study the lives of happy men?
>>
>>70482957

Oz (TV Series). He plays a frightening White Supremacist inmate
>>
>>70483800

drum machines do drumming better than any drummer.

Other instruments still benefit from the human feelings

so yes
>>
>>70484238
This is probably how the script for started, with this fundamental question
>>
>>70484189
That's why you will live in mediocrity
>>
>>70484263
>>drum machines do drumming better than any drummer.
If you play rock, yeah, good luck telling a machine to interplay with the rest of the musicians and follow their solos and cues.
>>
>>70484161
>From Buddy Rich

But not played by Buddy Rich, so shut the fuck up.

>>70484238
Having people remember your name is a treat, a privilege, but it isn't more important than living your life happily. Try again.

>>70484296
Bad bait. Nice try though.
>>
>>70484221
>>70484161
>>70484159

You realized even Homer shrugs sometimes?
It was not a good jazz solo. It completely disregards the rhythm of the song. It's masturbatory.
>>
>>70484238
>Do kids at school study the lives of happy men?

Kids at school study all sorts of pointless nonsense.

How often do you think or care about king henry the 6th ?

Id rather enjoy my senses, rather than aim to be "famous" in todays society.

Look who is famous now... Negroid "rappers" and transgender freaks.

I guess by your logic we should all aspire to be like them ....
>>
>>70484366
>Having people remember your name is a treat, a privilege, but it isn't more important than living your life happily

That's the dumbest fucking thing I've heard in my life. Is that your excuse for being shit? "Well it's okay that I have a shitty 9-5 job and that I will never do anything with my life because at least I'm happy!"
>>
>>70484366
Nigger learning licks from artists you revere is a common practice by any jazz musician.
To this day you still hear modern saxophonists playing licks or variations from Charlie Parker.
Neyman improvising a solo full of licks by Buddy Rich, an artist that is referenced multiple times as being one of his inspirations is the most jazz thing there is in the whole movie.
>>
>>70484311

Jazz and all that pretentious shit is gay.
>>
>>70484425
Because all famous people now are negroid rappers and transgender freaks.
>>
>>70484444
Bad bait.

>>70484450
You sound upset.
>>
>>70484405
>It completely disregards the rhythm of the song.
Do you even know the meaning of the words you use?
Have you ever heard a jazz song in your whole life?
>>
>>70479257

It's pretty sad the number of people who misinterpret the ending of this movie. Teller's character does not triumph at the end. Sure he gains the respect of his teacher but that is all he gains, in the process he loses himself. He tips over the edge of passion and hubris and in the process destroys anything about himself that could have been good or loving to anyone other than his craft. The look of awe/horror on his dad's face is indicative of the way we are supposed to be feeling in this moment as we watch a kid fully embrace his destruction.

The director supports this reading of the film and I think any other is really just brainwashed Americans thinking that trying really hard is the best thing human beings can do.
>>
File: BnxxPjKIIAAb9N5.jpg (27 KB, 501x516) Image search: [Google]
BnxxPjKIIAAb9N5.jpg
27 KB, 501x516
>>70484490

" But perhaps the desire of the thing called fame will torment thee.- See how soon everything is forgotten, and look at the chaos of infinite time on each side of the present, and the emptiness of applause, and the changeableness and want of judgement in those who pretend to give praise, and the narrowness of the space within which it is circumscribed, and be quiet at last. For the whole earth is a point, and how small a nook in it is this thy dwelling, and how few are there in it, and what kind of people are they who will praise thee. "
>>
>>70484564

I've heard far more than you. It wasn't a good solo. It was basically recorded apart from the song. No band leader would want someone playing like that. The first thing you learn when playing in a jazz band is to never overplay and always play less than you think you have to. Hard bop died for a reason.
>>
>>70479257
It would have been better if the drums had been exchanged for a proper instrument, maybe the piano or violin. What kind of retard makes "banging on thin membranes with sticks" their life goal?
>>
Pretty good. Never though music school would look so prestigious and serious in a movie.

Baristas probably worship this movie.
>>
>>70484760
>I've heard far more than you.
No you obviously haven't, because if the idea of a 2-minute drum solo is that crazy to you, you probably don't know who Art Blakey or Max Roach are, and that means you don't know shit about jazz.

A drum has no way to run over the modulations of the song because it's not a melodic instrument, every drum solo will always sound isolated from the song because of that.
>>
>>70484822

>lol there are people in the world that follow their passion!
>lol they're probably poor!
>lol I can't wait to go to my accounting job tomorrow and someday get to kill myself
>>
>>70484909

get a real job hipster faggot
>>
Hmmmm, not quite my tempo.
>>
>>70484957

I'm a teacher

I don't judge people based on their jobs as I am not a worthless sack of shit
>>
>>70480375
did you ever watch the movie you damn nigger
>>
>>70481471
>The whole Supergirl subplot was unnecessary, b
another retard who posts on /tv/, misuses le memes (kino) to feel part of le secret club, yet can't even understand incredibly basic movies like this.
>>
>>70485020
>I'm a teacher

Get a real job, useless faggot.
>>
>>70485115

You sound like a very cool person who probably has lots of friends and a girlfriend who keeps you warm at night. Lots of love in your life I can tell.
>>
>>70485163
>and a girlfriend who keeps you warm at night
Yeah, it's called you're mum.
I tell him stories of his son being a massive faggot while she chokes on my dick.
>>
>>70484475
Just because you don't like something doesn't make it pretentious. Now go listen to your bleep bloops or niggerbeats like a good little pleb and never open your mind to anything.
>>
>>70480583
He didn't even want the Oscar, he just wants pictures of Spider-Man
>>
>>70485247

>you're
>him

so wait are you having sex with my mom or my dad?

and you sound really dumb it's really funny
>>
Where can I find someone who will push me as hard as Fletcher does his students in this movie? I feel like shit because I have less motivation than I feel I should but I don't know how to create some for myself. I just want a person who will ruthlessly make me git gud or die trying.
>>
>>70485775
Imagine what such a person would say/ do, and then do it for yourself. Whenever you feel poised to give up, imagine that harsh figure behind you. Make him a part of your psyche. Make him a part of your reality.
>>
>>70479257
Was interested in seeing it, but I heard it doesn't portray jazz and jazz musicians accurately. As a musician, I just lost interest in seeing it.
>inb4 watching movies for accuracy
>>
>>70486120
>Imagine what such a person would say/ do, and then do it for yourself. Whenever you feel poised to give up, imagine that harsh figure behind you.
Yeah that ain't gonna work senpai
>>
>>70479257
I got mixed messages

On one hand it tells you that extreme motivation is good and there is nothing more harmful than "good job", but then it tells you how one kid killed himself because of extreme motivation
>>
It's the first film that's actually given me second hand anxiety and stress. I relate to the main character so much, especially in the "not quite my tempo" scene.
>>
>>70486989
Not with that attitude, you goddamn loser. You can just quit waiting for someone else to give you purpose, and whining that you can't find the strength like some kind of fancy girl.

You've had it too easy for too long, and you've let yourself become soft. Say you didn;t have your parents' basement and your autism bux. Say you had a sabertooth tiger on your ass. What would you do then? Would you cry to the tiger that you 'can't find the motivation'? No you would not! You would work for once in your miserable life because you wanted to live, and that is exactly the situation you are in now: you take command rather than waiting around for someone else to do it for you. You act like a man. You stand up and be counted and you MAKE the world listen, or you die a fat, pathetic waste of skin that no one will ever respect.
>>
Pretty bad. The Supergirl subplot was totally unnecessary, the secondary characters were written like sitcom characters, and the plot was entirely unrealistic. And not even in the Cinema-Sins kind of way, I mean it fundamentally did not make any sense. We're meant to believe that a teacher in an school full of upper-class New York white kids can get away with slapping them and calling them faggots and all that sort of stuff. Then the main kid gets hit head on by a truck but manages to pull himself from the wreckage of his flipped over car like he's Captain America. Simmons is a great actor but he was a one-note caricature in a beat-for-beat sports movie for musicians. I will never understand what people see in this.
>>
>>70483926

>Creed was a better sports flick than whiplash.

I don't really care how '''''post-drunk''''' you are, shut your fucking mouth
>>
>>70482957
Literally his biggest roles before Whiplash was Oz, Spiderman movies, and Portal 2.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.