[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When Game of Thrones ends next year, will something similar come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9
When Game of Thrones ends next year, will something similar come along to replace it? Or do you think people will be fed up with fantasy?
>>
>next year

???
>>
>>70472436
1. It's got 2 more seasons m8.
2. There's spinoffs planned.
>>
>>70472499
Oh, sorry. I thought next season was its last.
>>
>>70472499
>spinoffs

That worked really well for The Walking Dead, didn't it?
>>
>>70472436
the wheel of time series is coming out, if that doesnt instantly flop all the game of thrones fans will go there once its over
>>
>>70472628

The first half of season 2 was pretty good actually, the boat scenes were comfy and Strand is a great character. Fuck Madison though
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 900x701) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 900x701
They are doing a Dune adaptation after got

https://duneproject.wordpress.com
>>
File: 1313263225491.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1756) Image search: [Google]
1313263225491.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1756
>>70472499
>There's spinoffs planned

I'd love to see a proper miniseries of Robert's Rebellion.
>>
Why are they planning spinoffs? I thought the reason they decided to end the show in two years is because it's so damned expensive.
>>
>>70472436
>When Game of Thrones ends next year
lol
it's the new simpsons
as long there are manchildren and retards being born got will continue to exist
>>
>>70472436
>people are fed up with capeshit
>people are fed up with fantasy
Why do you silly ones keep saying such silly things?
>>
>>70472930
If you find any of it even remotely good you should legitimately end yourself
>>
>>70472554
i did too. this is all news to me
>>
>>70472881
Didn't they try this once before and it failed miserably? Like, it was laughably bad?
>>
>>70472436

>The Big Bang Theory ending
>Game of Thrones ending
>Infinity War will be the end of the MCU

Is this it, will cancerous consumerist psuedo nerd culture finally be over?
>>
File: 1464121998798.png (368 KB, 640x629) Image search: [Google]
1464121998798.png
368 KB, 640x629
>>70472436
>>
>>70472881
I bought my mother the Wheel of Time books for her birthday because she loves the Game of Thrones books. She read two or three and gave up. She said they were boring. Have you read the books? Do you think they'll work well on television?
>>
>>70472436

Wheel of Time. We already know a series is going to be made for it, and it'd be best if HBO was the one to do it.
>>
>>70475666

No that was a shitty company that was holding onto the rights and they were going to lose the rights because they were just sitting on them rather than doing something with them, so they threw together a shit pilot and put it on paid programming just to try and keep the rights. A court battle ensued and they lost the rights.
>>
>>70473858
Not him but what's wrong with it? The characters are solid, except maybe the teenagers, Nick is pretty based, and Travis is almost on par. It's leagues better than the original series.
>>
>>70472938
>get pumped
>it's an article from 2013 about how a Dune series would be feasible with a link to a petition

>>70473669
I'd love to see that as a film, I think.
>>
A sci-fi fantasy Mass Effect type series hopefully
>>
>>70472436
Game of Thrones spawned a slew of similar shows. The fad will last a bit longer.
>>
>>70476310
*crushes beer can*
>time is a three dimensional flat circle
>>
>>70473800
It's already confirmed the show is switching to 7 eps per season starting next year. Benioff and Weiss said 7 seasons was their plan and HBO wants to stretch it, so 7 eps per season could result in 9 seasons. I can't see the show going past that though.
>>
File: mat.jpg (85 KB, 490x445) Image search: [Google]
mat.jpg
85 KB, 490x445
>>70476310
>>70472881

>it's a Mat goes carousing and gambling with Talmanes while dandling a thick serving wench on his knee episode
>>
>>70475666
Somewhere in the last six months or so a studio put out a pilot at like 1 am with no advertisement for it just to try and retain the television rights. It was obviously a last minute abortion and it showed they were then sued and lost the rights anyway.
>>
>>70472938

haven't D&D ruined enough?
>>
>>70477180
>implying all comfiness won't be cut in favor of strong independent Aes Sedai who don't need no Warders
>>
>>70477609
>Aes Sedai
Now I have never read the Wheel of time, but are those supposed to be Gaelic elves?
>>
>>70477980
Yes, the name is based on the Irish myth. In the context of the series, they are female magic users.

Honestly if you don't already like fantasy as a genre, you won't like WOT. But it's good for what it is.
>>
>>70475742
Infinity war will not be the end of the mcu.
>>
Wheel of Time or Kingkiller will take up the mantle. Kingkiller in particular has the potential to print money even if it's done in a low budget manner.
>>
>>70479218
>Wheel of Time or Kingkiller
Young ginger men are going to be in demand for leading roles soon, I guess. Although Kvothe is more of a twink than Rand.
>>
>>70476096
Ive read 4 of them, it feels like a bunch of neat fantasy ideas but theres nothing to invest in, sure the bad guy keeps making an appearance here and there but he never actually fucking does anything, the cahracters are always saved in the nick of time, gets tired after a while. Maybe they could do a spin on it somehow but I myself found them kindof boring too. There are some really neat parts in it though, and those parts are what will be amazing if done right, but everything else is just looking at your watch waiting for the next scene.

The biggest problem they will face is people expecting a hard gritty fantasy story like GoT, when its not that at all, it "chosen one" fantasy schlock, with the "main character," "his goofy best friend" and "the big strong guy with heart of gold" , theres also a "wise older travelled mentor" a "love interest" and "Aragorn".

Theres some very neat concepts for lands they will pass and encounters that I will look forward to, but he actual plot seems like it may tire people.
>>
Are you all trolling? I thought this was the last season.

Fuck me I want this show to be over so I can move on. It's overstaying it's welcome as much as Dexter did
>>
>>70477071

>flat circle

All circles are flat and bidimensional anyway.

What the fuck does that mean?
>>
Probably another crime drama.
>>
>>70472628
FTWD gets pretty big ratings.
>>
>>70472938
you made me feel hope again, then crushed it. thanks anon
>>
Next will be wheel of time, long as shit so it can race the simpsons, and already a feminist crap.
>>
Watch the HBO subs drop really low once GoT ends. All they have left is shit that no one watches like Vinyl and Girls.
>>
The next wave is pay cable capeshit trust me!
>>
>>70481415
Silicon Valley and Veep are good. So is Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. My main complaint with HBO is their movie library. It's fucking awful.
>>
>>70480451
Imagine that they've opted out of and condensed several storylines already and they still have a fuck ton of story left to cover and it still feels like they need another 3 to 4 seasons to end this appropriately. I used to be a huge bookfag for this series, but the show is so fucking awful it made me lose interest in the story altogether. It's all too big for its own good. I love the world he made, but he would have been way better off doing 4 books max with a condensed story. Instead, we get the HBO schlock and George writing himself so deep in a corner he's chosen to die before finishing his own series.
>>
What ever happened with GoT anyway? I know people were talking years ago about how if GRRM didn't get his shit together they'd run out of material, did they just start making up their own story after a while or what? Never watched after the first season but was always kind of curious what they would do when it came to that point.
>>
>>70482778
This this fucking this.

I was a bookfag. I am now done with ASOFAI, thanks to the abysmal massacring the tv show has made of e books, and a nagging belief/fear that grrm made a deal with d&d that essentially is letting them write the end of ASOFAI through this shitass tv show
>>
>>70482916
Did they start making it with their own material?

Yes. But I believe its canon regardless, so expect hold the door to turn up in the next book
>>
>>70482916
No, HBO knew the full story from the beginning, GRRM told them all of it when agreeing to work with them.
>>
>>70483101

You really believe that? At best they got an outline, and d&d are filling in the considerable blanks
>>
>>70483101
Utter nonsense. I suspect you're a tv show only 'fan' of ASOFAI, otherwise you'd know GRRM couldn't possible have the whole story (beyond a basic outline) because that's how he works. There was a 20 year gap for a reason m8
>>
>>70483132
Yes, he said it in an interview. He described the scene, they went to a cafe to talk and they basically ended up spending the whole day there talking about the story, up to the store's closing. The interview is out there somewhere on YouTube.

Of course, the show differs in some way, but I don't see any reason they would stray for the ending and the major points. I think what appears as filling the blank is simply them cutting short on the characters that don't participate directly in the ending (something to do with Jon and Dany and the prophecy, most likely)
>>
>>70477117
They said there are only 13 episodes left after this season. 2 to go and that's it.
>>
>>70483220
For real. At best they can only know key figures and key plot points with him on the sidelines especially saying y or n. Look at all the shit they've butchered so far that was readily available for them in fucking published books. Imagine their autism when creating uncharted material.
>>
>>70472436
american gods
>>
>>70483625
Speaking of Uncharted material, Nathan Fillion adaptation when?
>>
>>70483732
They're still going to do that? I thought it fell through.
>>
Isn't Star Trek getting a new series? Maybe that will take over as the next big show, except that I don't think it will attract the same audience. ST is more of a sci-fi adventure for teens, whereas GoT is dark fantasy that has lots of sex and violence that adults like.
>>
>>70483774
Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday, Crispin Fucking Glover as Low Key. It might be interesting, even if it's bad.
>>
>>70483018
Lmao, did you like their confirmation of Coldhands as Benjen? Yeah, George wants to die without finishing it so that way no one can say he ruined the beginnings of a GOAT fantasy
>>
>>70472554
Then you're retarded and should probably fact check before you shitpost about things you don't know about.

Fuck you.
>>
>>70483899
Jesus christ
>>
They should do Once and future king series with young king Arthur.
>>
>>70476310
>>70472881
I'm so down for a show. Too bad I don't think they can condense the 14 books into 7-10 seasons worth of material, without leaving small moments out due to time.
Also I think it'll bomb due to the audience being so up GoT's edgy, dark spin on fantasy ass.

Here's hoping Starz gets it though. Doubt HBO would give it the treatment it deserves.
>>
>>70483778
The only reason GoT was made is because it is medieval soap opera with fantasy elements. First four seasons were shot mostly in closed spaces with long dialogues, weddings, dinners and intrigues with occasional CGI at the end of the season. As show progressed into loose adaptation of later books, it demanded more CGI so they had to cut on the budget to make epic finale towards the end and it kinda failed. 5th season wasn't exactly abomination, but it was the weakest point of the show and they kept cutting/killing off characters and making it simpler so they can have cinematic-tier scenes at the end. I don't think TV still can handle full blown sci-fi adaption of things such as Dune properly.
>>
>>70483899
There. I acknowledge you. Do you feel a little less lonely now?
>>
>>70484320
I think Dune could work, if handled correctly. Intermix CGI with miniatures, animatronics and green screen and you might get some amazing moments of worm ridding.
>>
>>70472436

people will watch anything as long as it's obvious there was a lot of talent and cash that was invested in the project. personally i wish there was a sci fi show with great ambition that would pop up with those ingredients. something epic, on a great scale in time and space. something post cyberpunk that propose a lot of shocking ideas/concepts/technologies/visions or an hommage to iain m banks's The Culture .
>>
>>70472881
Wheel of Time is... peculiar in many ways, I think it will be hard to make a successful tv-show based on it
>>
>>70472436
There will be another great HBO show, I don't doubt that at all. It won't be a medieval, fantasy type show though.
>>
>>70486161
/tv/ will explode crying "feminist power-fantasy" on account of the Aes Sedai. Itll be great.
>>
>>70472436
>do you think people will be fed up with fantasy
GoT was never about "just" fantasy.It was more about interesting characters and their storylines.
>>
>there will never be a Gardens of the Moon adaptation
I guess I should be grateful since they would fuck up Tattersail incredibly hard. If you guys thought Dany was bad, hoo boy.
>>
>>70486306
None of that will matter to SJWs since every female in the universe will be lusting after Rand's German cock and they will hate the show because a white male saves the day.
>>
Is it worth it watching game of thrones? I'm searching for something addicting as breaking bad.
>>
>>70487117
>they cast Perrin as a black guy
>theres no longer white guys wearing pseudo-samurai armour with topknots and everything
>the sandniggers from across the sea will no longer be sand niggers, because its racist to have foreigners act evil in any way
Itll happen, theyll fuck with it, theres alot of that sort of shit in the series and they just wont get away with it in this current climate.
>>
>>70472881
too much magic/fantasy from the get go.

game of thrones was much better without all the magic shit.
>>
File: HNNNGH.gif (1 MB, 276x232) Image search: [Google]
HNNNGH.gif
1 MB, 276x232
>>70472628
>>70472499
>>70473669
>>70476968

A spin-off series focused on Yi-Ti and Asshai.
>>
>>70483899
oh man lol.
>>
>>70487124

Watch VEEP first.
>>
>>70472436
>GoT
>ending

lmao

Dumb and Dumber are going to milk the shit out of this and drag it on for ever.
>>
>>70475742
>infinity war ends
>AVENGERS REBOOT

This nerd culture will not go away as long as society continues to regress. They have an endless appetite for trash
>>
>>70472628
the mad king's time looked interresting, would seee a spinoff about that.
or the forrestgirls.. but that wont happpen, too much make-up n shit
>>
>>70488071
HBO has already announced the show is only getting two more seasons.
>>
>Warcraft was made into a flop movie
>Not adapted into a tv series
It still hurts
>>
>>70472436
Christ, I hope not. I'm sick and tired of seeing "think" pieces about whether a fictional rape was over the line and hand wringing over the male/female nudity ratio in otherwise respectable publications.
>>
>>70488391
You think that will go away without fantasy on TV? If anything it will get worse, since entertainment that takes place in our own world and contemporary with our own mores will get scrutinized even more closely.
>>
>>70488170
Thank god it wasn't adapted into a TV series.
Warcraft is just a shitty version of warhammer fantasy.
Now a TV show about the great war against chaos focusing on Magnus the Pious, there's something that would be great.
>>
they are going to do a prequel series or mini series and after that i could see them doing a feature movie and everything getting progressively worse

i do hope that this opens the door for more fantasy and sci fi series being adapted with large budgets and serious actors - hopefully without the hindrance of the source material being unfinished
>>
>>70473669
Nah. A full on trilogy with a fucking huge budget.
>>
>>70491082
"Movie" trilogy i mean
>>
>>70473669

nuaw, now wee tens
>>
Worth watching? Sell me on it, /a/
>>
>>70473858
Nick is easily the best character in all TWD and FTWD. He carries the fuck out of the show.
>>
>>70481816
>Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

IT'S 2015 I MEAN COME ON
>>
>>70481415

Last season of the Leftovers and Westworld
>>
>>70487023
This series would be an amazing "high fantasy" replacement for GoT.

Wheel of Time is going to be too comfy....The plebs demand edge that erickson delivers.
>>
>>70483899
Stop self-hating nigga and go for a walk.
>>
> ctrl+f "name of the wind"
> nothing found
>>
File: this-sucks.webm (223 KB, 380x360) Image search: [Google]
this-sucks.webm
223 KB, 380x360
>>70472938
>tfw your god is literally giant piece of shit with arms and a face
>>
Black Company show anyone??
>>
>>70493924
oh. forgot about that. yes pls
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.