[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder that Paul and Eli Sunday were the same person.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: keko.jpg (45 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
keko.jpg
45 KB, 600x400
Daily reminder that Paul and Eli Sunday were the same person. Not identical twins, not a false narrative/dream sequence result. The same exact guy first approached Daniel and told him where the oil was, then went home.
>>
>>70456625
so...
>>
>>70456625

No.

Paul was the older twin, hard-working although a little out of line.
He knew Eli talking to himself or "God" was crazy and he took off once his parents started to believe that bullshit.

I don't think Paul told Plainview about the oil to crush Eli but rather to wake up his town and realize there's other worshipping to do.
>>
yeah but which one was more classic Paul or Eli
>>
I don't think so. Have you ever read the prodigal son?
>>
Doesn't Daniel reference Paul to Eli near the end, saying he runs his own drilling company?
>>
>>70456625
if that were true why did he get so broken up when Daniel told him Paul was more successful than him?
>>
>>70456783
I think it was to draw parallels to Daniel. Here was this kid that looks exactly like his rival and ideological opponent, doing the same kind of morally questionable business deals as him.

The two different personalities manifest themselves in two different twins, which alludes to Daniel's struggle with his greed and his love for HW. Daniel can't be two people though, and chooses his black hearted side
>>
>>70458229
I think he's just saying that to bug Eli. Just to make him think he's an utter failure compared to his brother.
>>
>>70458229

yes and Eli mentions him to his father
>>
>>70456625
Paul went off and started his own oil company.
>>
>>70458323

no that was a lie to get under Eli's skin
>>
>>70458304
>>70458229

At the end he tells him that he gives Paul 10,000$ dollars signing bonus when he actually gave 500$. He was obviously lying.

It's like you retards don't even watch movies and just come here to pretend or something.
>>
>>70458365
No, Eli talks about Paul to his dad.

Paul is a separate entity, and is credited as such.
>>
>>70458365
so when Eli mentioned his brother to his family they just went "lol crazy old Eli is at it again" and ignored it?
>>
>>70458395

yeah i know, the oil company part is a lie. Paul took his few hundred bucks and split, Daniel has no idea where he ended up and doesn't care.
>>
Eli's religion was all a facade. He didn't actually believe in the things he was saying. He did it all because it gave him power and money. He even was willing to denounce his "faith" for the money at the end.
>>
>>70458438
What difference does that make?

We're discussing if they're two separate physical beings, not whether he lied.
It may as well be true, since we have no other prevailing information and it's a fairly thought out story for a moments insult.
Daniel clearly kept tabs on rival businesses.
>>
File: no no superman. i got this.jpg (246 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
no no superman. i got this.jpg
246 KB, 1920x800
>>70458304
>>70458377
>He was obviously lying.

But Eli doesn't know he was lying and starts crying. If Eli and Paul were the same person he would know Daniel was lying.
>>
>>70458273
>>70458314
>>70458395
>>70458430
>>70458498
Well Eli's obvious not a very mentally stable person. Split-Personality?
>>
File: bugs_aint_amused.jpg (11 KB, 298x292) Image search: [Google]
bugs_aint_amused.jpg
11 KB, 298x292
>>70458690
>>
>>70458690
Occam's razor, faggot. What's more likely - that Eli and Paul were identical twins with opposing ambitions (which is supported by the film's narrative), or that they were one person with a split personality fighting against themselves (completely contrary to the film's narrative)?
>>
They were supposed to be played by two different actors at first.
>>
>>70458452

Yeah. I think at one point Eli was a true and honest religious man. But he became corrupted with power. To me TWBB is about Americas long history of Christianity vs Hardcore capitalism and greed, and how the two feed off each other and in the end both sides are corrupted
>>
>>70458853

The pregnant possibility that Paul and Eli are in fact the same person - that is, that there is a problem of confused identity among male relatives - is not at all contrary to the film's narrative. Quite the opposite, it is in keeping with the film's narrative of imposters, and mistaken identity.

Daniel is the first imposter in that he represents himself as H.W.'s father. H.W. is then himself an unwitting imposter in that he is raised in the role of Daniel's son.

Daniel's "half-brother Henry" is discovered as an outright imposter, just a stranger who assumed the identity.

Daniel and H.W. visibly balk at their first encounter with Eli Sunday, since he looks exactly like Paul. Of course they, like we, later intellectually register that identical twins are things, and so they go along with it and don't question it for the rest of the film (except, perhaps, Daniel always had a suspicion that he kept to himself and didn't directly confront Eli about, except, possibly, at the end.)

Developing the above, the figures of $500, $5000, and $10,000 are tossed arond regularly. Daniels' reference to paying off "Paul" (to rob Eli!) at the end could be interpreted as a final tease of what Daniel always believed to be the same person, but never point-blank asked about, since he's learned to distrust and hate all of the imposters in his life, of whom Eli/Paul (in this model) is the other. In other words, Daniel plays at taunting Eli/Paul with what even "Paul" remembers from the first conversation - Daniel /never/ gave Eli/Paul 5000, much less 10,000 for the church, or any oil discovery. just the 500 dollars.
>>
>>70459197

There is even a confusion among the Bandys, which is clearly of a piece with this. The elder Bandy is William, and in the final scene, Eli identifies his much younger grandson also as "William", another point of confusion.

Even the /credits/, at first glance, present a confusion about which bandy is which.
>>
>>70459197
Eh sure, why not. None of that explains why Eli was talking about Paul and how Paul sold them out in the scene where he attacks his father.
>>
>Anderson replaced the actor playing Eli Sunday with Paul Dano, who had originally only been cast in the much smaller role of Paul Sunday, the brother who tipped off Plainview about the oil on the Sunday ranch. A profile of Day-Lewis in The New York Times Magazine suggested that the original actor, Kel O'Neill, had been intimidated by Day-Lewis's intensity and habit of staying in character on and off the set.
>>
>>70458891
this. iirc dano had the paul role. but since he did it so great in audition the director let him take the other role of eli as well
>>
Reminder that they were twins and the character is based on Billy Sunday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Sunday
>>
>>70460921
I thought the other guy just dropped out last minute so they gave it to dano
>>
>trying to make it 2deep4u

just stop m8 it doesn't work.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.