[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will there ever be a good video game movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: Warcraft_Teaser_Poster.jpg (392 KB, 600x960) Image search: [Google]
Warcraft_Teaser_Poster.jpg
392 KB, 600x960
Will there ever be a good video game movie?
>>
No, because film is an artform, and video games aren't art.
>>
>>70397897
Yes, you just posted it
>>
Rubix Cube: The Movie when?
>>
I'm going to watch just for the train wreckage.
>>
>>70397897
not for another decade. It's slowly progressing but were still at a point where vidya games are still kinda looked down upon and high fantasy in general has always been looked down on. I'll say one thing. They tried with this movie. Truly they did. It's not a cash grab from a dying franchise. It's a hail mary to try to revitalize it. They took great care to pick the right director and he did his best. More than I can say for all these remake cash grabs of things and capeshit.
>>
Goldeneye was pretty good famalam.
>>
File: Bane and wife.jpg (148 KB, 946x960) Image search: [Google]
Bane and wife.jpg
148 KB, 946x960
>>
File: roadhog.png (345 KB, 360x366) Image search: [Google]
roadhog.png
345 KB, 360x366
>>70398158
>>
>>70397965
Already been done.
>>
>>70397897
I liked Spirits Within.
>>
RE 1
>>
>>70397965
They're making a goddamn Tetris sci-fi trilogy. Where the FUCK do you even go from there?

I'm imagining a serious tennis drama adaptation of Pong
>>
just watched warcraft yesterday and, althought it's flawed, it's genuinely fun, the action scenes were brutal and hype af
>>
>>70398128
the problem is that if you're a fan of WC2 (like me), it's not going to appeal at all because the lore of Warcraft is completely FUCKED.

But then again, if they had done a more accurate WC2 film it would've been more like the last Hobbit movie, just hours of clashing and armor clanking and angry CG faces
>>
There's no reason to adapt video game stories when they're so bad compared to other mediums. The writing in these is objectively awful by any literary standards.
>>
>>70397897
I wish Metzen could have just declared WoW a separate continuity from the actual WC series. Now all the Orcs have been flanderized into "dindu nuffins" who were actually peaceful natives and shamans trying to survive with families and shit.

Originally (pre-WC3) the Orcs were just wild, brutal savages who loved to murder. They only began to attempt unifying their tribes and creating a proper military when they saw that humans had training and coordination, so the orcs copied them.
>>
>>70398388
Indeed. DESU though I think they nailed the Orcs vs Humans feel but they added a heavy dose of WoW. I can see why they did it. So much information to cram into a movie. They might have been better off doing what Marvel did and pick one person's story to focus on per movie while all these events are happening.
>>
The only games that can possibly be adapted to films are the ones that have shit stories, and they have shit stories because they're so lacking in interactivity that it's possible to adapt them into films.

Basically a no win scenario. Movies based on games will always be shit and games based on movies will always be shit. The art forms are so fundamentally different that the qualities that make a good game good and a good movie good simply cannot be translated to the other medium.
>>
File: 5.png (431 KB, 640x629) Image search: [Google]
5.png
431 KB, 640x629
>>70397897
>>
The Dark Souls movie was pretty good, webm related
>>
>>70399974
I don't get it.
>>
>>70397897
6/10 if you're a warcraft fan
2/10 if you dont give a shit about warcraft

prove me wrong

pro tip: you cant
>>
>>70399974
>dark souls movie
>anything but excalibur
Bruh c'mon now/
>>
A GTA Vice City or San Andreas movie would be legit
>>
>>70400611

I'm a Warcraft fan and I think is an 8
My sister is not a Warcraft fan ans she though i twas around a 6
>>
>>70401227
Trufax
>>
>>70400611
>>70401333
Trips overrule dubs.
>>
I'm amazed that it was somehow pulpier than the source material but still enjoyed it a lot despite the cringe, though being a fan I'm probably biased.
>>
Did anyone else enjoy Prince of Persia? it wasn't a masterpiece, but I thought it was a fun flick
>>
>>70401469
With fantasy you need excellent actors to elevate the nonsense - like in LoTR (apart from the English Elf who was in Extras).

That guy Dominic who plays the king in this should be in nothing more than tv soap operas. He cant act and he looks like a cute pug dog. When he plays serious I just want to say AWWW IS MISTER TIDDLES GETTING ANGWY.

The rest of the actors were pretty good I thought.

The Garona actress did her best, unfortunately her character is written poorly. I don't blame the script, her character in script is similar to her portrayal in the books, despite some differences in details of lore.

Basically, living your whole life as the slave of an evil fuck and yet walking around with the attitude of a strong independent woman who dont need no man... it just doesnt make sense. The books go on about how she doesnt lower her head, always looks people in the eye, has the attitude of a queen... it's basically encouraging bad acting.
>>
>>70401883
Yeah Llane was pretty woeful, that Varian scene in particular.

I really liked Ben Foster and Travis Fimmel in spite of myself. Daniel Wu did a pretty good comically evil Gul'dan too. Also I wish Draka got more time in the limelight, she was surprisingly good.
>>
File: fassbender-assassins-creed (1).jpg (149 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
fassbender-assassins-creed (1).jpg
149 KB, 1200x1200
>Kurzel is going to end up like Jones, Trank, Edwards, the list goes on
Fuck franchises. Big studios hire talented indie directors for cred and financial cheapness, and then chew them up and spit them out when the studio's own half-baked, $200 million+ investments don't pay out in exactly the way they plan.

Fasssbender and Cotilard will be fine regardless of critical and commercial outcome, but Arkapaw and Kurzel could get eaten alive if Ubisoft isn't 100% pleased.

Modern blockbusters are a cancer on the medium, creators, and consumers in a way that blockbusters of the past never were.
>>
>>70401883
>>70402166
Also Khadgar was a pretty good if goofy bumbling sidekick, which I guess is a nice nod to his character in WoD and Legion so far.
>>
>>70397897
You just posted it.

It's flawed but damn good, the Orcs are perfect, the combat is brutal

>>70400611
8/10 if you're a fan
7/10 if you aren't
how embarassed are you your petty dubs got rekt by trips

>>70401333
>>70401397
AAAAAAW SHIT dat is nice
>>
>>70397897

Yes. If you travel back in time to 1995 and watch Mortal Kombat... at the time that was a perfect video game movie.
>>
>>70397897

>street fighter
>mortal kombat

they already exist anon
>>
Quick summary of the plot of Warcraft 2?

Stormwind burnt down, Stormwind humans flee to that other continent, the orcs build boats and chase them, humans and elves beat them back across the sea to Stormwind and destroy the portal. ..?

End of 2nd movie?
>>
>>70402728
I wouldn't at all be surprised if they gloss over WC2 entirely if there's another movie given how similar it is to Orcs and Humans. Most people seem to want Illidan or Arthas but I'm sure we'll get Thrall for our sins.
>>
>>70402690
Don't forget the "Muslims are pigs and Europe is cucked happy birds" movie.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.