[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why people like so much Princess Monoke? The filme is good,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 12
File: images (22).jpg (26 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
images (22).jpg
26 KB, 512x288
Why people like so much Princess Monoke?

The filme is good, no doubts about it, but it is far from being on the TOP5 Ghibli movies.
>>
>>70389194
I like the whole forest, nature, spirits and feudal japan aspect.
>>
>>70389194
It was first Ghibli for many people. Pushed harder by Disney than previous imports.
>>
It's Miyazakis best film by a mile, for starters it actually has a good plot (up until the last five minutes) and was pretty well written for a childrens movie, with the "evil man vs good nature" atleast being sort of morally ambigious in the first half. It also has the most interesting universe, and the actions taken by the characters actually have weight.

Compare that with shit like Totoro, which is "meandering about-the movie" and people like it because the big fluffy rabbit is cute.

Miyazaki is a fantastic visual director, but a terrible writer, and Mononoke is the best wriing he's done.
>>
>>70389194
Because it actually had a decent story rather than the nonsensical shit like howls
>>
>>70389194
had good dub, which is rare.
>>
>>70389233
Yeah, I also liked it, but there are Ghibli movies that are far better than it.
>>
LOTR tier musical score.
>>
>>70389368
All stories are dumb, because they're all so contrived. The difference is that Mononoke kind of didn't rally on the GOOD vs EVIL as much as other movies, and still gets branded as the GvE motif, even though the ending says different.

the "evil" wins and everything is more or less okay and back to normal. The forest spirit is still dead, the humans are still mining, the last of the magical animals are forever gone, but "lmao, got my arm back".
>>
>>70389194
Name 5 better ones.
>>
>>70389322
>tfw you don't understand Totoro real message. Must suck having low IQ.
>>
>>70389415
i guess we have to agree to disagree
opinions and all
>>
>>70389490

90% of Miyazaki movies are about destroying nature. Totoro is incredibly overrated and nowhere near as good as Mononoke, Nausicaa, or Porco Rosso.
>>
>>70389458
Someones gunna say the russo porko one, orwhatever... I never much liked it. but Ponyo, and Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro and Pom Poko obviously. I'd say the Cat Returns is better then the fucking pig pilot one, or Howl's it was well animated, if the story wasn't basic while still being intriguing.
>>
>>70389458

>Fireflies
>Nausicaä
>Spirited Away
>Kaguya
>Porco
>>
>>70389539
yeah, but the point that even Miyazaki has said is the movie was suppose to be GvE but they changed it near the end of production.

The Evil wins in the end. They just don't get the head.

Evil wins.

Everythings okay.

Even the monk guy wasn't really evil, just an asshole, and wasn't trying to hurt anyone. He helps teh antgonist as well as works against him.

Nothing in the movie is cut and dry. it was Man v Nature but the morality of 90% of the movies was not there. That's kinda what makes it unique. But Pom Poko was the same deal.
>>
more action and violence than the standard ghibli movie, while still telling a good tale
>>
>>70389415
It's well paced though, I find. And a bit more trippy then most of his other movies. Really pushed the CGI more to give it more of a FILM feel which was new for his studio. Really sets it apart from almost all other anime, and even helped make the movie appeal to new viewers that felt the movie had a thematic quality to it you don't normally see in 'cartoons' which still having that hand drawn feel that Disney movies lost in the 80's.
>>
>>70389194
It's still my favorite after a decade of watching animeshit.
>>
>>70389194
Because of her strong arms.
>>
>>70389457
the forest spirit wasn't technically "good" either. it was grey as grey can get.
>>
>>70389194
>Ghibli is shit
>>
>his only film that can be categorized as an adult film
>superb visuals (his last fully hand drawn)
>most interesting and realistic universe
>god tier score
>most well written story of his
>best english dubs
>>
>>70389616
I think Monoke lacks a emotional touch that other Ghibli movies have. Sure the plot was good, but I really didn't connect with it.

Totoro for example remembered me of my childhood and how imagination could help to deal with real problems. It really has a message that helps us dealing with the real world.

I will copy paste a reddit comment that I read once:

>With My Neighbor Totoro, what I consider one of the best films ever made, you're committing a grievous error of focusing too much on story. You may not agree on how good of a movie it is but it's not that you're missing something, you're just asking the wrong things of the movie. Mei's and Satsuki's distress finally reaches its breaking point and nearly causes disaster. Things work out in the end and Mom gets better, but not before everyone's rattled by the experience. Totoro works if you take the fantasy literally, that's what's there for children. For the rest of us it's more of an evocation of the days of childhood where the real world still felt strange and magical and a little dangerous; well, the adult would is still strange and dangerous too - your partner is hospitalized, you're trying to pay the bills, and your kids are waiting in the rain for you at the bus stop and have to hang out with forest animals because they're not getting enough attention from you.

Sure Monoke has a message 2, but it is a very different one and it doesn't really connects myself with my daily life.
>>
>>70390265
I think it was more talking about a transition of humanity as a whole from our native past to the modern future. it was like a japanese take on the industrial revolution.

Magic of our world left and was replaced with machines, and that's not bad, but a lot of people did suffer because of it. It's just interesting to see a Japanese take on it since it always seems so alien. you can't really connect with it the same as a childhood memory, since it's about a cultural paradigm shift, that hasn't happened again until the internet.
>>
>>70389194
The Wind Rises is my favorite but favorite Ghibli films are subjective.
>>
>>70390265
So it's for fat neckbeards who unironically idolise their childhoood?

The movie is trash, but cute, and the cuteness is letting peopel believe there's more to it than not.

Truth is, Miyazaki panicked over the movie not having a plot two thirds in and broguht in a red herring to give a false sense of emergency, but an ending that actually meant something would crush the tone, so it just falters into nothing.

All Miyazaki movie's are pretty badly written, why do people look for things that aren't there? He's just incredibly far from being as good a storyteller as he is being a visual director.
>>
>>70391072
>tfw double digits IQ wants to have an opinion

Kek
>>
>>70391072
This to be honest his movies are great but the only Studio Ghibli film that had an ending that sort of satisfied me was Pom Poko and he didn't even direct that.
>>
>>70391132

no u

Only autists brag about IQ, because they can't come across as smart otherwise.
>>
I liked Spirited Away way more, but Monoke is still the 2nd best they've done.
>>
File: wind-rises.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
wind-rises.jpg
129 KB, 1280x720
Why does no one talk about this?
>>
>>70389194
It's my favourite Ghibli movie, because I liked the story, lore and characters. And this by far, had the best action sequences ever; the scene when Ashitaka is shooting arrows and decapitating samurai heads was fucking kino.

BUT I agree, I don't think this was Ghibli's best movie. The ending to this movie was really weak IMO. I wished they explored more about the Beast Gods and had a more gritty ending, showing more consequences of the destruction, and showed how the humans were still harming the land, kinda relating to what's happening today with technology advancing and pollution growing. The ending was too happy in a way.

Also the scene with the dead boar skins was fucking terrifying, and really depressing with the God thinking it's his soldiers following him. I don't know how people consider this a children's movie. This gave me nightmares as a kid
>>
>>70391736
Yeah the ending was tied up to many ties all of sudden to me. Especially the curse mark, I still don't get how it was healed, if the forest god couldn't heal it?

It would've made a better ending IMO if Ashitaka died from the curse.
>>
>>70391377
Because it was shit
>>
>>70389194
I only like so much Princess Mononoke. I can't abide more than one serving.
>>
>>70389322
>childrens movie
>decapitations with gore
>>
>>70392217
That's why I like it.

Honestly, the ending is like an ending to a kids movie, but the rest is far more mature which makes it hard to classify. Miyzaki makes exclusively childrens movies (albeit mostly enjoyable) otherwise, so whatever.
>>
>>70389194
If you consider Spirited Away to be on the top 5 you are a moron and your thead sucks
>>
>>70392313

Oh be nice.
>>
>>70389194
What country are you from
>>
>>70392217
When I was 12 I saw it with my school
>>
>>70391736
>>70392306
Exactly this, It ended in a kids movie. I wish it stayed on root with the whole grittiness of the movie, instead of copping out at the end with everything problem being solved by just reviving the forest spirit, even though the forest spirit did jack shit when he was still alive.
>>
>>70389194
you fucking spic
>>
>>70391377
becouse it does look like it was made by a tired old man eager to retire
>>
>>70392550
every problem*
>>
>>70389194

>>>/a/
>>
normalfags and animeplebs like it because it has the most action (with gore).

The characters are abysmal in comparison to most of ghibli's work, but plebs can't handle simple down to earth stories like totoro or whisper of the heart.
>>
>>70389415
Nah, Nasuka and Mononoke are Better than most because they are the most ebin. They have the highest stakes. Porko has the deepest plot emotionally, but it looks like ass and isn't nearly as satisfying. Alice in- I mean spirited away is good too but it's not nearly as ebin a pot, just a fun little trip. Castles is pretty boring to rewatch now as an adult, so is kiki. Totoro holds up, but again isn't nearly as ebin. The plot of Nasuka and Mononoke have the highest stakes of all the movies which makes them the most exciting to watch. They also exist incompletely seperate realities which makes them fun and interesting. It's true that they don't have the emotional depth of others, but they have better action.
>>
>>70392596
/a/ doesn't discuss movies unless it's made by Shaft, kyoani or ufotable. Too many millennials with no appreciation for animation over there. Just draw a still frame, add 3 lensflares, crank the contrast and add bloom and they think it's good animation.
>>
>>70389194
What's the best then faggot
>>
>>70392735
>Too many millennials with no appreciation for animation over there
t. millennial from /v/
>>
>>70390207
>his only film that can be categorized as an adult film

Implying Gore+Action makes a film adult, many of his other films treated the audience with more respect and had stronger characters.

>superb visuals (his last fully hand drawn)

There was obvious CGI in the film, and all ghibli movies are mostly hand drawn

>most interesting and realistic universe

Very subjective, and the fact that you stress realism as a virtue means you don't understand the appeal of fantasy or fiction in general

>god tier score

No argument from me

>most well written story of his

Lol nope, even Nausicaa was better

>best english dubs

Mark of the pleb
>>
I fucking hate "adult" animation. It never, ever works, especially in nip shit.

The only animated film that I can think of as adult is Waltz With Bashir, but that's hardly even animation.

Japanese animation just comes off as childish and cringeworthy when it tries to be edgy.
>>
File: vstarterpack.jpg (457 KB, 1994x948) Image search: [Google]
vstarterpack.jpg
457 KB, 1994x948
>anime

Fuck off, /v/eddit retards.
>>
>>70393099
Define adult and I will recommend animation based on your criteria
>>
>>70392955
>even Nausicaa was better

Are you implying Nausicca was bad? Wtf? Which one do you think is good, Porco? It looks like shit and goes nowhere.

wow individualism so deep
>>
File: mem1.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mem1.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>70393099
Give magnetic rose a shot. It also helps that all the characters are full grown adults
>>
File: Moro.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Moro.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>70392955
>>best english dub
>Mark of the pleb
Not op, but Gillian Anderson as Moro was pretty based. Everyone was alright IMO.
>>
>>70393215
Nausicaa was the same themes and basic story and it was a decade earlier, with a smaller budget.

still leagues better.
>>
People who make top 5 lists should be shot in the head. It's why i'm voting for Trump as a matter of fact.
>>
every giblhi movie ends like ass. Name a single movie that has a satisfying ending. You can't. They all just "end" on a spot and things are okay.
>>
>>70393319
I think Nausicca is better in a lot of ways. I enjoy the corny 80s music. The ending was much better. But the people themselves look much worse. And Mononoke is a more exciting overall ride. You guys just don't like it because it's popular.

>>70393290
Honestly, Japanese voice acting can absolutely ruin things as well. The way they inflect often sounds corny and stupid. Especially their "I'm angry" growls. I just want to laugh at it.
>>
>>70393383
I'll give you My Neighbour Totoro, but besides that one you are wrong and gay. Mostly gay :pp
>>
>>70393401
>you guys just don't like it because it's popular

literally go fuck yourself.

>is a dubshitter to boot
>>
>>70393437
Fug off weeb
>>
>>70393474
you just don't like my opinion on dubs because it's popular :^)
>>
>>70393430
He's right about Spirited Away as well.

Guess your pig was pretty stupid, you wanted the witch dead.

>>70393437
There's nothing worth complaining about it. It's better than castles, hal, and porco.
>>
>>70391377
because he killed trillions
>>
>>70391377
I really loved the film. An ode to the creative minds.
>>
File: Ashitaka.jpg (27 KB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
Ashitaka.jpg
27 KB, 640x352
I liked the main character a lot, very reserved and stoic, compassionate. Nice change from the usual goofball badass quip machines.
>>
>>70393520
The characters are paper thin and the film had very little personality.

The animation was nice, that's all I can give it, it's on par with Howls but Porco and Castle in the sky are better.
>>
File: whisper.jpg (376 KB, 1280x1919) Image search: [Google]
whisper.jpg
376 KB, 1280x1919
this is my favorite

although i've yet to see porco roso or totoro
>>
>>70393651

>thanks for saving us from that awful creature, now get the fuck out
>>
>>70393658
Characters don't need that much depth if the conflict is external. Porco focused too much on porcos little internal conflict and the movie looked like ass and the ending was stupid. I read into his individualism, he became human when he thought of the girl because he cared completely for someone other than himself, his selfishness and rejection of humanity makes him a pig. That makes for a good book, not a good movie. Castles didn't hold up and is very boring now as an adult.
>>
>>70393437
Do you speak Japanese?
>>
>>70393383
>Name a single movie that has a satisfying ending.

Only Yesterday, which is also best Ghibli by far.
>>
>>70393761
The external plight was simply uninteresting because of the boring characters (especially the protagonist).

Im curious, what did you think of avatar?
>>
>>70393383

Castle of Cagliostro
>>
>>70393732
He was cursed familio, and his people were a hidden/secret clan that was hunted down by the empire.
>>
>>70393888

Not Ghibli.
>>
>>70393768
>you need to speak a language to understand vocal inflection

Actual definition of autism

Also enjoy no films by:
Bergman
Ozu
Kobayashi
Bresson
Tarkovsky
Kurosawa
And more
>>
>>70393917

Well whaddaya know
>>
>>70393847
I thought that Billy Bob was interesting, Iron town chick was, and wolf girl was interesting. Ashitaka was cool because of his curse even thiugh he was just a goody goody, he was also a badass from a long forgotten tribe which is cool. His demeanor is very straightforward but his backstory is cool.

James Camerons? It was forgettable. The kind of movie you only watch once because there is nothing more to glean from it. I can see your comparison in that way. But Mononoke has more character than you give it credit for. The tenticles on the demons, the wolves, the forrest spirits, the great forest spirit, all look memorable and stylized. It feels mystical the whole time. Avatar just felt forced. Terminator 2 is my favorite of his.
>>
>>70393980
the dubs of most Ghibli films are just fine, and complaining about someone liking them every single time you hear it is probably the real definition of autism buddy. As far as dubs go, Mononoke is fucking great. But I bet you're someone who'd even complain about the FMA:Brotherhood dub so I'm just wasting my time with your autism
>>
>>70394086
Sounds like I touched a nerve, no argument found :^)

>>70394023
To me mononoke appeals the same way as avatar. Paper thin characters with a story we all heard before with great visuals.
>>
>>70393980
See >>70393401
Japanese inflection sounds laughable

here you go, this is my take on japanese ppl http://vocaroo.com/i/s0nOmKzL9BFK
>>
>>70393980
>>you need to speak a language to understand vocal inflection
That is actually true though. Of course anyone can get the general tone but there's a lot of nuance you can't pick up on if you don't speak the language. How can you possibly think you're getting the full effect of the acting when you can't even tell which word in a sentence is being emphasized?
>>
>>70394156
When exactly have you heard that story before? With demon spirits and a cursed protagonist who falls in love?
>>
>>70394156
Just looks to me like you're to much of an ignorant elitist weeab to realize that most Japanese dubs sound like trash too
>>
>>70394156
>>70394264
And he doesn't even end up with the girl. Avatar was forgettable
>>
>>70394159
And to some other cultures americans sound slackjawed and slow, germans sound angry, brits sound like litte fairies etc.

The truth remains that the original language is the director's approved version and what was used during the construction of the animation. They are professional actors that specialize in this field (whereas american voiceactors are hollywood refuse or celebrity bait)

You wouldn't listen to Seven Samurai dubbed, and can you imagine someone from japan watching something as iconic as say star wars with different voices?
>>
>>70394331
I disagree, some languages sound a whole lot more retarded than others. Vietnamese, for example sounds like someone is raping a cat. There are like 14 british accents that are wildly distinct, you can't lump them like that. German doesn't sound angry unless shouted, it actually sounds far more sexual than french when whispered.

Live action and cartoons are quite different. But have you not heard of Sergio Leone? His shit watches just fine with multiple characters speaking the lines in their native tongue and then overdubbed. Seven Samurai absolutely could be dubbed over and so could star wars. They just need a good cast and director. Ever since the original Nausicca fuckup, Ghibli has taken care to get good voice actors.
>>
>>70394331
>can you imagine someone from japan watching something as iconic as say star wars with different voices?
Uh, yes? I would expect it.
>>
>Top 5 Hiyao/Ghibli

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Castle in the Sky
3. Spirited Away
4. Porco Rosso
5. My Neighbor Totoro
>>
>>70394511
Yep, those are the ones that everyone has seen
>>
>>70394469
Leone films are an exception, a dub is inherently necessary for those films because the true audio track is bilingual. The dub performances arn't perfect but its the best you can do with that footage.

The fact that you would say that you would watch a seven samurai dub makes me discredit your opinion completely
>>
>>70394585
Depends on the quality of voice actors. I'd give it a try. Not that I have any problem reading subs, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

I'm more of a western fan anyway and my dub is called The Magnificent Seven lol.
>>
>>70389194

It is absolutely his best work. The characters all have good motivations, the message is on point, and the ending is a perfect bittersweet.
>>
File: 1369978447961.png (103 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1369978447961.png
103 KB, 700x700
>>70394511

>No Kiki's Delivery Service

I want you to leave and never come back.
>>
>>70394511
same
>>
>>70395504
Kikis is shit
>>
>>70397766

Except it's not. It's the comfiest movie and has Phil Hartman.
>>
>>70389194
Princess Mononoke is complete shit, I don't understand how anyone could legitimately like it.
>>
Only anime shit I have ever enjoyed.
>>
File: 1464981525009.gif (628 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1464981525009.gif
628 KB, 320x240
>>70389194
My God I Love this animé ....I love it
>>
File: 1461054339423.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461054339423.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>>70398354
u suck faggs
>>
File: 1464814042461.jpg (412 KB, 1551x1868) Image search: [Google]
1464814042461.jpg
412 KB, 1551x1868
>>70389194

Because it doesn't appeal to /a/ neckbeard faggots and actually touches on something simple and beautiful, something autists have a hard time understanding.
>>
>>70399314
Princess Mononoke is objectively a horrible movie, at least from a storytelling perspective.
And writing is just as, if not more important, than visuals.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.