[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just saw this, overall I thought it was pretty disappointing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 630x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 630x1200
Just saw this, overall I thought it was pretty disappointing.

Going into it, I didn't know very much besides a basic plot summary. I like Collin Farrell and I apreciate art house films so I was in. This movie relied on what my biggest grips is with some 'artsy' films and allot of theater performances- straightforward yet quircky dioulauge, like a Wes Anderson film, that pseudo intellectuals eat up. Yes, I get it. It was strange diolauge and the directness is different from a normal film, paired with a contrary performance and it can sometimes be interesting, but no, being straightforward is not genius.

Overall it was pretty, if not a bit exauhsting, and the distopian premise was novel but wore thin very quickly for me. I'd give it a 7/10.

Thoughts, feelings?
>inb4 not your review site
Just looking to talk about a film senpaitachi.
>>
>The Lobster

>no lobsters
>>
The dialogue was to show how people just shallowly talk about nonsense instead of having real conversations. You non near sighted pick.
>>
Just like with Dogtooth the execution fails to reach the excellence of the concept. It falls flat when Farrell starts living in the woods
>>
>>70380673
Yes, that was the messege, you are correct. They could have done the messege in a million other ways though and not relied on such a hammy fallback you limping non nose bleeding chad
>>
>>70380699
I rather enjoyed most of the hotel stuff, but yes, when they entered the forest I found myself checking my watch frequently.
>>
>>70381076
I don't understand your gripe but I respect your opinion regardless, you lisping fuck.
>>
>>70381704
I think I'm mostly just tired of that style of writing. I am an actor myself, I'm currently studying at the American Conservitory Theater in SF and I'm just so burnt out on diolauge with no weight to it all to serve the purpose of one minor aspect of the feature- you bum waggling hot dead maid
>>
>>70380223
The film is perfect before the escape.
Only good scene after the escape is the dances in the woods.
>>
>>70381864
Despite not liking the woods stuff, my favorite part was when they tried to put wedges between the hotel staff and couples during the break in
>>
This is my fetish
>>
>>70381995
I'm not sure I understood the implication, was he supposed to be her last lover?
>>
>>70382012
I don't know, i haven't seen the film. It's my fetish nonetheless
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 285x298) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 285x298
>>70382201
Fair enough.
>>
File: crab_nicholson_on_the_beach.jpg (147 KB, 960x539) Image search: [Google]
crab_nicholson_on_the_beach.jpg
147 KB, 960x539
I loved the movie myself, the first time I watched it. The idea was so unique and I enjoyed how well structured it was. I'll admit that the second time I watched it, I noticed that the scenes after the escape were drawn out and almost bordering useless to the film.
But all in all the whole thing was brilliant and communicated a deeper satire of societies lack of a deeper connection and criticisms of relationships.
The concept is an A+ and the execution was a B

>crabs are better
>>70382012
Thought she was going to eat him..
>>
>>70380223
Good for a single viewing. Perhaps relies on blood/violence/death for shock value a little too much, but that is the point the director wants to make relating to modern dating, so maybe it's alright. Probably didn't need to be as long as it is. It's a series of metaphors more than it is a single coherent story; at least, I wasn't all that drawn by the plot.

I like dogtooth (lanthimos also) better. Very similar style, but I felt like I connected more with the characters, and I enjoyed feeling a sense of building throughout the movie.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.