[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this better than most people give it credit for? What went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: 3863437923.jpg (995 KB, 1200x1732) Image search: [Google]
3863437923.jpg
995 KB, 1200x1732
Is this better than most people give it credit for? What went right?
>>
>>70373874
It isn't the worst thing ever, it has it's moments. The kid stuff is kinda dark, considering how a poor latchkey kid with little parental supervision has to imagine his own away out of his horrible world and in the end becomes a gang leader

What kills it is the goofy music and if you watched the dub, the bad voice of minya and the kid
>>
>>70373914
"ohhh not me! i'm chicken!"
>>
>>70373914
I'm more interested in the kid's home life than anything else. That could have been cool to see developed more. Right up Honda's alley, he liked slice of life films.
>>
>>70373874
It's probably one of the bottom 3. It's not as entertaining as Godzilla vs Megalon but it is more watchable than Godzilla vs The Sea Monster.
>>
>>70373874
It's one of the worst in general, but it has merits. Gabara was a great addition that I wish made a comeback at some point. He would've been a great recurring Showa Kaiju. Godzilla beating his ass was great.

Rest of the most is dull. The real world stuff is useless, the stock footage is bizarre (oh by the way jet planes are on monster island too), and Minya is, well, Minya. I loved it as a kid, but I accept that it wasn't actually a good movie.

I saw it years before Sea Monster and Son, so when I first saw them I felt bamboozled.
>>
>Be American
>watch Godzilla vs King Kong on VCR as a kid
>root for Godzilla and want him to win
>the fucking ape wins and I read in a book on it that they changed it to appeal to American audiences
>>
>>70374246
That's false, kind of

In the Japanese version they make it more clear it was a tie, in the us they make it more like kong wins
>>
File: 78478344.jpg (206 KB, 736x1117) Image search: [Google]
78478344.jpg
206 KB, 736x1117
>>70374159
> more watchable than Godzilla vs The Sea Monster
What makes you say that?
>>
>>70374315
Sea monster is pretty underrated desu

Takarada was God-tier in it, only problem was they didn't realize water makes a suit look like shit so use 2 suits
>>
>>70374315
It's just pretty dull, watching it feels like they just threw Godzilla into the script to fill it out.
>>
>>70374349
I liked the James Bond plot with the evil organization, and the protags use Godzilla as their solution. Much better than the usual "let's stand around until Godzilla shows up" fair from the Heisei movies.
>>
>>70374277
"Since King Kong was seen as the bigger draw (at the time, he was even more popular in Japan than Godzilla), and since Godzilla was still a villain at this point in the series, it led to the decision to not only give King Kong top billing, but also to present him as the winner of the climactic fight. While the ending of the film does look somewhat ambiguous, Toho confirmed that King Kong was indeed the winner in their 1962/63 English-language film brochure Toho Films Vol. 8, which states in the film's plot synopsis, A spectacular duel is arranged on the summit of Mt. Fuji, and King Kong is victorious. But after he has won..." - Wikipedia
>>
>>70374396
>feels like they just threw Godzilla into the script to fill it out.
What if I told you that that actually happened
>>
>>70374454
Yup. It was supposed to be King Kong but for some reason it became Godzilla. Also King Kong was orginally supposed to be a Frankenstein like monster hence the whole electric thing, instead they made that one where he fights Baragon.
>>
>>70374454
I wouldnt be suprised
>>
>>70374617
Baragon is a scrub
>>
File: 4847492433.jpg (117 KB, 687x402) Image search: [Google]
4847492433.jpg
117 KB, 687x402
>>70374623
Well, Godzilla was more or less thrown into King Kong vs. Godzilla. That was originally supposed to be King Kong vs Frankenstein.
>>
File: godzilla_vs_gamera.jpg (119 KB, 1238x644) Image search: [Google]
godzilla_vs_gamera.jpg
119 KB, 1238x644
they fight, who wins?
>>
>>70374675
>watching destroy all monsters
>godzilla, Anguirus, and Gorosaurus literally doing all the hard work
>baragon, varan, and Manda just fuck about while Rodan fans and shit while kumonga and Mothra just spit web
>>
>>70374716
if children are involved, Gamera
>>
>>70374716
Godzilla

Especially if 70s or 2004 godzilla, 70s godzilla is fucking god tier
>>
>>70374716
Isn't Gamera like a force of nature and Earth guardian?
>>
Honda made Revenge as a critique of how Jap parents at the time were letting their children be raised by movies, that's why at the end the kid is not only detached from reality but also a delinquent.
>>
>>70374810
Spines vs shell
Beam vs Breath
King of Monsters vs Guardian of the Universe!
>>
Anyone think Honda stopped caring? Might be an popular opinion in the fandom, but it seems like the quality of his films dipped significantly after Monster Zero. I know part of this was due to budget and time limitations that plagued the later films. But DAM, Revenge, and Terror are kind of mixed bags and not all of it can be brushed aside by the aforementioned problems. Interesting ideas, especially the latter two, marred by questionable execution.
>>
>>70375347
>Anyone think Honda stopped caring?
hardly, they still looked like they had the love and care the other films had, and terror was imo his strongest film post the 1954 one
>>
>>70374716
gamera all the way
>>
File: Godzilla1984.webm (3 MB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla1984.webm
3 MB, 1280x688
>>70374716
godzilla
>>
>>70375481
You think TOM is stronger than Mothra, Ghidorah, and Monster Zero? I want to like TOM, but it's an uneasy mix of the two extremes of the Showa Era films. On one hand we have a serious affair full of betrayal and romance, on the other we have those ridiculous alien outfits. And one of the best elements of Honda's earlier films were the actresses and actors. The cast of TOM isn't as strong. I know we have Akihiko Hirata as Dr. Mafune, but he kind of overacted. The monster action is cool. Just not enough of it. The out of scale shots during the attack on Tokyo were pretty jarring.
>>
>>70375885
honestly yeah. I find the story of katsura and mafune to have a tragic and sympathetic angle to it, and ichenose to be a fun and semi tragic character. i find the most action very colorful and exciting, but the human story emotional and strong. some effects defects here and there but they all have that. it drags a bit in the beginning, but im always interested in the story and when the monsters finally do battle its exciting as hell
>>
>>70374911
>M-mothra
>WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAAAAME?
>>
File: 1460783468793.jpg (165 KB, 816x504) Image search: [Google]
1460783468793.jpg
165 KB, 816x504
>>70375975
Hmm. Understandable. I like the idea of the romance. Just wish it was handled a little better. G54 and Monster Zero still have the best romantic subplots for me. Ghidrah to an extent, since it was less developed than the other two. Aside from G54 my favorite by the way), I don't think the dark tone has been done well. G84 had a tense atmosphere and great score, but I find it dull overall. So I'm really hoping Anno delivers a dark masterpiece with Resurgence.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.