[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Preacher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 11
Can't find any threads about it, what's the verdict so far?
>>
I turned it on once, immediately realize it was taking major liberties from the comic, turned it off.

Turned it back on to give it another chance, it was on the scene with Arse Face, turned it off again.
>>
>>70350815

comic book is overrated anyway
>>
>>70350815

That was partly Garth's choice. He said a lot from the comic wouldn't translate well to the screen.
>>
>>70349724
Tryhard, edgy trash just like the comic. AMC has it's next Low Winter Sun with this one.
>>
>>70349724
I enjoyed it. Its not high brow stuff, but its fun and interesting.

Im not a comic fan so maybe that helps
>>
>>70351205
This person speaks for me as well.
>>
In show:
>Jesse: meh
>Cassidy: Perfect
>Tulip: tumblr
>>
It's taking major liberties from the comic, but manages to capture the tone somewhat. I am withholding my judgement until more than the pilot is released.
>>
>>70349724
seems like dumb fun. saw the pilot and dug it for what it was. looks like they'll nail the Jesse and Cass buddy relationship quite well. unless it gets really, really bad, i think Preacher will take over my Banshee grind house, gonzo action fix.

i think it's odd people dislike it. sure it deviates from the source material but the comic was no fucking Shakespeare. it was dumb fun, Texas-style with some ultra-violence, tits, and fucking vampires. dig it for what it is, not or what it isn't.
>>
>>70349724
Tired of people saying AMC doesn't have the balls to send Jessie after god. Dipshits actually believe they're changing it to aliens when there was obvious set ups so people would know it is heaven/god and not aliens
>But they showed genesis flying through space!
Fucking retards
>>
>>70351848

Even with genesis flying through space the sound it makes sounds like a baby crying
>>
File: preacher issues.png (97 KB, 1317x554) Image search: [Google]
preacher issues.png
97 KB, 1317x554
>>70349724
>verdict
It's extremely inaccurate to the comic story, to the point where they're straight up making shit up.

However it's too early to decide regarding the quality. The way they're handling Tulip so far is just embarassing, though.
>>
>>70351952
the only problem i had with Tulip was the accent. that was a really bad attempt at a Texas drawl.
>>
>>70351848
buddy, never underestimate the level of stupidity you find on these boards. remember those True Detective threads calling for Cthulu and shit? really cringe-worthy stuff.
>>
>>70351848
I don't think they'll have the balls to make the characters say ''nigger'' 300 times per chapter.
>>
As a comic book fan I liked it. Sure thr show differs from the book, but thats not a bad thing. Sure its edgy. Ut so was the book, and its difficult to explain but its the right kind of edgy.
Only stupid thing is black tulip of course who suddenly needs to be le tough girl who takes down choppers with homemade rocket launchers. Sjw propaganda is killing this industry.
>>
>>70349724
Since there's only one episode released at the moment, you can hardly judge the entire show.

So with that in mind:

So far it's better than the comic (not that that is hard). Not as edgy which gives more space for the character to move around without having to rely on some chock-factor, but it's still has enough edge to not look like a classic Disney adaption.

No Steve Dillon (good thing).

Was never a fan of Tulip in the comics (she felt pointless and was only really used as a tool to create friction between Jesse and Cassidy) so them changing her up a bit I hope can bring with it that she's an actual character in this adaption.

Didn't like the ending of the pilot. It felt dumb. But hopefully they'll fix it ASAP in the second ep with Jesse finding out that he's got sooperpuwrs.

Arseface felt okay. I can understand that they toned down on the prosthetics to make it possible to act in, and if the alternative were TV-budget CGI it's without a doubt the better of two evils.

Too early to have an opinion on Jesse or Cassidy yet. But it's looking fine.

No Steve Dillon (very good thing).
>>
First scene after the africa bit you see the image of the saint of killers on a bottle.
They also confirmed the saint for appearing next ep. Get hyped
>>
>>70352042
Dominic Cooper doesn't sound texan either.
>>
Nice to see the only good thing about the twilight seasons of the Outcasts getting a lead part in something.

But it's just edgy TV based off of an angry white male comic, nothing of value to be gained or lost in consuming or skipping it.
>>
>>70352232
Why would steve dillon be in here
Gotta admit I fucking hate his work
>>
>>70349724
>Can't find any threads about it, what's the verdict so far?
I loved it but i've never read the comics.
>>
>>70351330
>Tulip: tumbl

Show Tulip is better than the comic book one so far
>>
>>70352302
Dominic Cooper is fantastic nonetheless.
>>
>>70352483
Is he? He can't seem to change expressions. I also can't feel any intimidation from him considering his height. Having a bad accent is pretty terrible too, people don't constantly point out Keanu Reeves' bad british accent in Dracula as a mere nitpick you know.
>>
>>70352464
>Show Tulip is better than the comic book one so far

How do you figure?
>>
>>70352464
Except she's not. Literally muh empowered stronk wymen who dont need no man to take down chopper. Ridiculous scene
>>
>>70352332
>an angry white male comic
Which puts black people as far more sane and smart human beings than white ones, literally all black characters are good guys, even Hoover. It's as far from an ''angry white male comic'' as you can get.
>>
>>70352464
Fuck outta here. You cannot defend that horrible tryhard joke scene which shows what the writers think as ''cool'' and completely contrasts with her character.
>>
>>70352591

She actually has personality and charm. She literally was the most boring character in the comic, and her only purpose seemed have a persone there Jesse really loves and care about

>Literally muh empowered stronk wymen who dont need no man to take down chopper.

comic Tulip was the same
>>
>>70352375
Anything without Steve Dillon in it is automatically a little bit better. Even if it's something completely unrelated. Like fucking chicken nuggets.
>>
Just finished it.

Thought it was a'ight.

Coulda been better, easily coulda been WAY worse.
>>
>>70350981
So LWS was bad? I'm looking for a good recent cop show.
>>
>>70349724
It looks fun but I have no idea where it'll go because the pilot went all over the place.

If they can keep up those fight scenes, I'll stay tuned in.
>>
>>70352932
Hey now, he was good at one point. He did good work on Preacher.
>>
>>70350894
fuck you
>>
Tulip is black. the rest is fine. i like cassidy. the show seems based and unapologetic. i'll keep watching for now
>>
File: 1386019110245.png (25 KB, 158x152) Image search: [Google]
1386019110245.png
25 KB, 158x152
>>70354139
No he didn't.
He managed me take an mediocre comic and make it crap. But I'm blaming Ennis just as much for allowing it to happen.
>>
>>70354386

Did he raped your mother or what? He is a good comic book artist, almost everyone agrees on that. I guess his style just isn't to your taste
>>
>>70349724
>Tulip makes a bazooka out of soup cans and a knife handle
Cut that shit off right there
>>
>>70352464
Not a chance. She at elast sounds the role, and being black (if you can even call her that) didn't actually take away from the original character, but that aside, she feels like Tulip in name only. She comes off as a real bitch, and not just a stubborn but strong woman in the comics.
To be honest, she only barely resembles the latter version of Tulip who was this beyond-elite gunfighter superhuman with invulnerable plot armour but on steroids.
>>
>The night before
>sausage party
>preacher
Seth Rogan really hates Christianity
>>
>>70350970

It's true. Besides you couldn't possibly show a cowboy literally killing G-d in the US of A if you don't want to rednecks blowing themselves Allahu akbar style in your studios
>>
>>70350970

Why even bother trying to adapt it, then? Literally just a jew grab.
>>
mfw seeing asshole face for the first time
>>
>>70352155
Even in the comic Everytime someone said nigger it seemed forced. I personally believe the writer even poked fun at himself with the "boy I sure hate niggers!"line.
Really, the only complaint I had was Cassidy had tattoos. Same problem I had with blade. Hell, the first blade movie even has dialog about why vampires shouldn't be able to have tattoos, but they went ahead and kept the tattoos. Same bs in 30 days of night, which imo was the best vampire kino in the last 15 years.
>>
File: 897107-sok40.jpg (126 KB, 673x1024) Image search: [Google]
897107-sok40.jpg
126 KB, 673x1024
>>70355081
Hell, they don't even really show in the books. He just shoots, then flops down in the throne.
>>
>>70356108
Why didn't he let God revive his family? Also how the fuck God allow his subordinates to to make someone stronger than God?
>>
>>70349724
Could've been worse, but it will never work as a series.

They should've just made a show about Cassidy.
>>
>>70351330
>Cassidy: Perfect

He´s not wearing the FUCKING SUNGLASSES ANON REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>70356828
SoK is only stronger than God when God isn't on the throne.
SoK himself said that God is omnipotent when on the throne and nothing at all can hurt him.
>>
>>70354433
Whoa whoa whoa. He´s not flawless, he´s had some godawful runs see Punisher vs. Bullseye if you wanna know what I´m talking about
>>
>>70358739
Forgot the throne part. Been a while since I read the comics, the limitations of God's power was all over the place though.
>>
>>70358739
It´s also technically not even the SoK who´s strong - it´s his .45s which are made from the sword of the Angel of Death.
>>
>>70358790
God limited himself. He was an attentionwhore who wanted everyone to love him so he created the whole wacky adventure.
>>
>>70351330
>no sunglasses
>accent wandering somewhere between sligo and cork by way of rathcullen when cassidy is from balbriggan in county fockin' dublin
>apparently an international man of mystery and sometime airline steward
>perfect

I don't even hate the changes, but there've been changes.
>>
>>70358814
Well he did walk away from a nuke to the head
>>
>>70352232
What powers does preacher have?
>>
>>70358916
He has "The word of God" which allows him to compel anyone to obey him. Subject to genie-style literal interpretations in the comic he tells a guy to go fuck himself and the guy tears his own cock off and shoves it up his ass.
>>
Preacher was an obscure comic from the 90's only comic book nerd would remember.
The show itself seems to have many liberties taken from the comic and of course got jewed to hell by making tulip a nigger.
I could honestly see it tanking.
There is no hype,and its pissing off the little fans the comic had.
>>
>>70358916
First of all he's a Mary Sue. He's handsome, smart, perfect shooter, better fighter than Mayweather and Fedor Emilianenko and a God at making sex.
His real superpower is Genesis which gives him the ability to force people to do something by saying it. Also it's really inconsistent, according to the Angels Genesis is more powerful than God when it's not true, it's a low tier superpower at best.
>>
>>70350894
You dumb nigga.
>>
Don't know anything about Preacher but it was excellent.
>>
>>70358666
Satan trips, you have a point. But we cant be too picky, this is AMC television we're talking about
>>
>>70349724

when is the second episode out? feels like it's been a week since the first one
>>
>>70359220
this sunday, there was a break for memorandum day
>>
>>70359051
>>70359001
Ah makes sense now with the dweeb that ripped his heart out in the pilot.

So does he have amnesia or something? Or does he not know he has that power yet?
>>
>>70359425
He doesn't know yet. Mild spoiler: The two dudes we saw at the end of the ep are angels, they're looking for what's inside him, he's going to command them to tell him what's going on and that's how he finds out, in the comics at least.
>>
>>70349724
Saw it and liked it enough

I never read the comics though
>>
>>70359563
Actually in the comics he orders the Saint of Killers to tell him but he has no info, so he tells the Angels to get their asses on Earth immediately or he will go up there and murder every last one of them.
>>
>>70359895
Well, OK, it's been fifteen years. I just remember "Cut the shit."
>>
>>70349724
Is the comic as bad as this pilot was or was it Seth Rogen that fucked it up?
>>
File: the old.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
the old.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>70352591
>>70352642

Before you could only hope that the makers would have good enough taste to make the show good in a way similar to the original one, yet still changing it enough to make it work as story of a different medium. If the tone isn't vastly different in the rest of the episodes, this doesn't seem to be the case.

The makers (and a lot of "fans" of the comic) think that a character "kicking more ass and being more badass" automatically makes the character better than the original counter-part. That is the most obvious sign of a person who's opinions and tastes are subpar. Seth Rogen seems to be a person like that.
>>
>>70360124
Starts off really good, then drags its heel for what feels like 10 volumes.
>>
>>70360124

Garth Enis, the creator of the comic is in on the project and is partly responsible of the changes to the show as compared to the comics.
He mentioned that he regretted a lot of the early decisions he made and wanted to help Rogen make the show closer to his original idea.

This said, the show deviates a lot from the comic, hopefully for the better.
We'll have to wait and see.
>>
Bookfags of any franchise are the fucking worst. Can you stop being autistic for five minutes?
>>
File: 1460089373257.jpg (18 KB, 258x258) Image search: [Google]
1460089373257.jpg
18 KB, 258x258
Hated it.
Dialogue was cliched and clunky.
Acting was horrid. The kid with an asshole for a face was the only person in the entire show that gave a believable performance.
Dominic Cooper cannot do accents to save his life. He sounds like he's trying to mock a southern accent.
Asshole face and crazy Scottish guy are the only characters that made me even slightly interested, everyone else was boring, or annoying.

1/10
>>
>>70364228
>crazy Scottish guy

breddy gud
>>
I have never read the comic , I really enjoyed it
>>
Loved it. Had no clue the comic even existed before I saw this.
>>
So, this is just a edgier Code Geas made for... jesus, I can't figure out the target audience for this.
>>
Never read the comic and I quite enjoyed it though I had no idea wtf was going on. I just realized the King & Queen from Warcraft are in this.
I also watched Outcast (also didn't read that comic) this week and that was a pile of shit.
>>
>>70354999
sausage party seems more disrespectful of judaism
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 1024x543) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 1024x543
>>
>>70354433
I could rant all day about why I hate Dillon's body of work.
But it's late and I've got work in the morning.

And he's not a good comic book artist.
>>
>>70349724
I liked it for the most part. The only casting I'm still on the fence about is Tulip. I guess I'll see as more episodes come out.

On a side note that mother that has a crush on Jesse is cute as fuck.
>>
>>70349724
>DUDE BLASPHEMY ON A SUNDAY LMAO
>>
File: amc-preacher-cov-1_0.jpg (293 KB, 658x1000) Image search: [Google]
amc-preacher-cov-1_0.jpg
293 KB, 658x1000
>>70352232
>>70352932
A-Anon...
>>
>>70367409
My Negga has a terrible accent and it worries me
>>
File: Untitled.png (31 KB, 802x336) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31 KB, 802x336
>>70367409
I thought I recognized her and looked it up, man did she get boned with Constantine but at least she got the last laugh.
>>
>>70368186
>Constantine

Damn, talk about wasted potential. Unfortunately the show aired on NBC which was pretty much a death sentence in the first place since they had to change and cut a lot of things out.

I know people are already shitting on this show, but at least AMC has it, which means they can get away with a lot more.
>>
>>70367409
I've loved this woman since she was on Robin Hood.
>>
>>70350894
You're kidding right? Preacher is GOAT, along with The Boys.
>>
>>70350894
this
>meme comic gets a meme show
>meme show gets meme ratings
>meme fanbase spergs out until the end of time about failed show
>>
>>70369314
Can you at least explain why you disliked the comic/show without being a retard and using the word meme?

The pilot wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it more than pretty much every other show that's on right now. Whether it's truly shit or not we will see as it continues.
>>
Never read the comic, never will, I thought the first episode was okay. Except for the black girl was too over the top plus nigras are like Bigfoot in the South
>>
>>70349724
yeah it was alright.

Nothing amazing but fairly entertaining
>>
File: Preacher-Proud-Americans-cover.jpg (311 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
Preacher-Proud-Americans-cover.jpg
311 KB, 620x320
i read the first couple volumes of the comic ages ago, i feel like i'd watch this but they gave him a faggy ass haircut instead of the mullet
should i still give it a go
>>
>>70350894

Garth Ennis writes like a 12 year old boy who is trying way too hard to be edgy.
>>
>>70370944
Tulip makes fun of his shorter haircut (apparently it was longer the last time she saw him), so I'm assuming he got it to be more presentable as a preacher and might ditch it later.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.