[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was Chigurh being such such an asshole to this guy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 1436076218789.jpg (29 KB, 576x254) Image search: [Google]
1436076218789.jpg
29 KB, 576x254
Why was Chigurh being such such an asshole to this guy?
>>
>>70349688
Call it.
>>
>>70349688
He's a psychopath

Why wouldn't he be?
>>
>>70349688

The clerk opened the conversation by making a observation about Anton's route. Someone is paying some sort of attention to Anton's movements. Anton instinctively hates this (and not without good reason, if you put yourself in his shoes), and why? Since Anton kills... what was it again? Like a DOZEN people over the course of a few days? Two of which he's already done before this, including a cop? Anton can't tolerate so much as a hint that someone is following his movements. Both for practical reasons, but also for his own whacked "general principles".

No, Anton doesn't really think this schmuck is a cop or anything like that. But as a violent criminal and a psycho, Anton hates the idea that anyone, anywhere is noticing /him/, watching /him/, even hinting at stalking /him/. That's backwards. Anton does the watching, stalking, killing. So he has to check this guy.

The scene can also be interpreted as Anton practicing his intimidation game for later, where he'll need it. He's going on a mission, so this exchange can partially be interpreted as him psyching himself up by playing with a random first. Like going for a jog in the morning.

The scene also establishes multiple things: Anton's general demeanor, and the coin toss (together with the dates, which have some small significance). It furthermore establishes that Anton is capable of having a conversation and interacting with other human beings, without ultimatley killing them. This is important because in the film, there are multiple instances where we do not have proof positive that Anton actually killed so-and-so. Yes, he probably did in all cases, but we don't /know/. There is therefore an intentional ambiguity, which this scene aids.
>>
>>70350077
What he said?
>>
>>70350077
Damn, that was a good analysis man.
>>
>>70350222

Hm, are you agreeing with me, or are you asking a question?

...friend-o?
>>
Anton just sees himself as an agent of chaos. Like someone that pokes a snake (implied by the candy wrapper unfurling like a rattling snake) the man should expect to get bitten. He sees nothing of antagonising this man. He was brought here, chance should decide his fate, like all of us.
>>
>>70350077
wait what does aids have to do with this
>>
>>70350077
Patrician
>>
>>70350077
intradasting and checked
>>
>>70350077
glib
>>
>>70350077
those dubs tho
>>
He hates normies. That old guy is the normiest one can get, so...
>>
>>70349688
>Is that what you're asking me, OP? Why was Chigurh being such an asshole to this guy?
>>
>>70350077
bravo anon
>>
>>70350077
nigga went to FILMS
>>
>>70350077

I think it also establishes that Anton considers himself an agent of fate.
>>
>>70350077
10/10 post man you won the case
>>
>>70350077
>a observation
>>
>>70350077
Upvoted
>>
>>70350077
>All the people complimenting this post

You guys don't know shit. This really is a board for children. I'm done.
>>
>>70352939
you'll be back.
>>
>>70352992
I'm seriously done. I'm gonna reheat my burrito mix and go to bed. Tomorrow I'll be sober and finished with this shit.

>>70352996
Yeah, it's amazing all these people could be so clueless about film subtext.
>>
>>70353119
See you tomorrow
>>
>>70350077
this is awesome
>>
ITT: The city of /tv/ loses its shit with a /r/movies analysis
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.