[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>We want to do a spin-off Star Wars film >Not in the style
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: Rogue One Title.jpg (60 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Rogue One Title.jpg
60 KB, 1200x600
>We want to do a spin-off Star Wars film
>Not in the style of the classics, something that can stand on its own
>Hire Gareth Edwards, who's two biggest previous ventures were Monsters and Godzilla 2014
>Gareth Edwards, in turn, hires and staffs his crew with people who's previous film experience has been films like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and Zero Dark Thirty
>Gareth Edwards makes his intentions known he wanted Rogue One in the style of those war movies, specifically a Star Wars version of Black Hawk Down
>Been shooting and filming for months
>Trailer cut with footage from the film
>Executives see the production cut
>"This feels too much like a war movie! Reshoot it and add more quips!"

What the fuck were they expecting with this crew? '78 Superman?!
>>
>>70328529
So if Disney is worried about this, will they make Rian change up all his shit for 8?
>>
>>70328529
they don't want to do anything too jarring, just something that is easy to follow and simple enough that it can easily get translated to chinese
>>
>>70328581
I understand, but point is once again you hire a specific director, who hires a specific crew, for a specific style of movie, then complain about that style and say it isn't like "classic" Star Wars...

Once again, what the fuck were they expecting?
>>
>>70328639
a yes man
>>
>>70328691
Then they should have hired the people who worked with Lucas on the prequel trilogy and not Gareth Edwards.
>>
>>70328691

Yes-man!
Aaahh-aaahhh
Fighter of the KinoMan
Aaahh-aaahhh
Champion of Chinese
Master of the capeshit and memeing for everyone
>>
EY YO
*lightsaber turns on*
HOL UP
*klaxon alarm screaming*
SO YOU SAYIN
*tie fighters zip by*
DAT WE HIRED
*smacks midichlorians*
WAR MOVIE DIRECTORS?!
>>
File: pana1.jpg (86 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
pana1.jpg
86 KB, 720x480
fuck disney, i wanted a dark movie not quip shit
>>
>who's
>>
File: WHITAKER-HEADER-ROGUE-ONE.jpg (116 KB, 1016x534) Image search: [Google]
WHITAKER-HEADER-ROGUE-ONE.jpg
116 KB, 1016x534
I bet he is going to be replaced by a goofy cgi character. He seemed like he wise mentor in he trailer.
>>
>>70328827
I got yoyr joke. Here is reply
>>
>reshoots
>>
I'm sorry george. I hate to admit it, but I miss you. Fuck this stupid shit
>>
what are the odds that with a very public reshoot announcement at this point in development, the original cut gets released later?
>>
>>70328827
nice meme friend
>>
>>70328529
Read about this and was so fucking pissed. I want a goddamn gritty and hellish and war-like Star Wars. Something mature. No more motherfucking slapstick comedy. No more having a lightened mood after like 2 seconds of dark shit. Let's see something more mature, PLEASE.
>>
>>70330790
>something mature
I REBEL
>>
>>70330790
Star Wars fans and the internet should have thought of this before praising God that Disney bought SW from George Lucas.

They've only replaced one cancer with another, only difference is the new cancer has the support of blind fanboys and retarded critics.
>>
>>70330790

If you want something mature, watch Star Trek
>>
>>70330861
This was quite literally the first thought that crossed into my mind when I heard.
>>
Star Wars is dead.
>>
>>70330938
The fans killed it. They only have themselves to blame.
>>
>>70330790
Options:

1. Creative movies with shit execution (Lucas)
2. Safe movies with mediocre execution (Disney

I prefer option 1. I didn't think I would, but sure enough, Disney has some power I wouldn't have expected.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 470x313
>>70330938
BURY IT
>>
>>70330861
>Implying I was happy in the first place that Disney bought SW.
>>70330889
Topkek
>>70331033
Sensible answer. I agree.
>>
>>70331033
Agreed. Actually made me want to go re-watch the prequels and give them a fair shot. I'm sure they'll still be shit, but I might appreciate the creativity Lucas put into it.

>>70331021
This so much.
Lucas himself left the early screening of TFA saying "fans will love this, it's exactly what they've wanted" and sure enough it is... but at the expense of being a terrible/forgettable movie in every other regard.
I'm actually curious -- are ScreenJunkies (i.e. the biggest Disney shills on the planet) singing this film's praises, and if so how cringeworthy is it?

>>70331171
Maybe you weren't, but a TON of geeks were. Hell, I'm not a big Star Wars fan but I thought it was good to get George Lucas out... and now I regret it immensely.

I'd rather get creative Lucas shit than bland, terribly-paced and characterized, corporate Disney shit any day.

Hell, the new SW even had a forgettable John Williams score.
HOW IN THE EVERLASTING FUCK DO YOU MANAGE TO MAKE A STAR WARS FILM WITH JOHN WILLIAMS AS YOUR COMPOSER... AND HAVE THE SCORE END UP BEING ENTIRELY FORGETTABLE??
>>
>>70331405
ScreenJunkies at least pointed out that the film was a rehash in their trailer but the rest of it was very light critism. As you said, everything else I've seen from their channel is unconditional brown nosing for Star Wars
>>
>>70331579
Not surprised.
Honestly other film critics might or might not be bought out by Disney... but I'm sorry, SJ are by far the most blatant brown-nosers I've ever seen.

Also doesn't help that Hal has the most punchable face on planet Earth.
>>
>>70328529
I like what Edwards has done so far (well, Monsters at any rate, not a big fan of Godzilla) so I'd hope there's at least a director's cut in the horizon. That is if I thought there was any chance of one.
>>
>>70331405
Also

>tfw Screen Junkies and internet critics went out of their way to trash Godzilla so we'd side with Disney over Garth Edwards
>>
How long until Disney hires studio bitch Brett Ratner to direct all future Star Wars installments?
>>
>>70328562
JJ has been hanging around the episode 8 set a lot
>>
>>70332509
Nah, they'll just keep hiring television "directors" who have no ability to tell a story visually and only use point-and-shoot filmmaking (and not in the classic Hollywood sense where such filmmaking could still be artistic).

They want yes-men -- not artists.
>>
>>70332569
This
Only person worth their salt outside of Edwards is Rian

>yfw Disney hired Trevorrow for 9 solely because Jurassic World made fuck tons of money off hype and nostalgia, and not because it was anything good
>>
>>70331579
Speaking of shills...

Just went to HitFix, the literal title of the article on this topic

-"Calm Down, 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Will be Fine"

Keeping in mind how hard they were defending The Force Awakens and Ray from criticism and "mary sue" bullshit I actually think HitFix could also qualify for the term shill.
>>
>>70330790
I can smell the Doritos from here
>>
>>70331405
>Shot-reverse shot
Lucas was creative as fuck mang
>>
>>70331021
Go fuck yourself. All I wanted as a fan was a proper relase of the unfucked with OT. I had no urge to see any new stories done in the Star Wars universe.
>>
>>70328529
i want a noir thriller set in the star wars universe. like a private investigator starts out on a simple murder that ties into some larger galactic conspiracy like chinatown.
>>
>>70333474
It's called Bladerunner
>>
>>70333474
That is literally blade runner
>>
>>70333474
I just want that Boba Fett movie that Kasdan talked about wanting to do, basically a Sci-Fi Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars.
>>
>>70332536

So, is that a good thing? Would he give Rian an ringing endorsement when his film finishes shooting or is JJ the yes man for Disney?
>>
>>70333624
>>70333673
Isn't that just proof that it's a viable concept for a spinoff?
>>
>>70329772
This
>>
>>70328827
Donnie Yang is a master of karate
and friendship for everyone
Aaahh-aaahhh
>>
>>70330790
I agree, and it would make perfect business sense as well. Disney wants to retain the whole of the SW audience, and a great deal of that audience currently desires more serious tones; if they don't deliver what they want to see, they won't bother seeing anything at all.

Mature Star Wars movies would maintain balance with the audience, ensuring that they trust Disney and go out to see all Star Wars movies. I wish they had that kind of understanding.
>>
>tfw a fucking star wars cartoon had a better war arc this will ever have
>>
>>70333768
What? What is there to miss? SW movies ending with that shitty trilogy and nothing to it other than leagues of mostly mediocre expanded universe crap?

George's involvement with Star Wars should've ended with ANH.
>>
>>70331767
He always looks like he just got finished crying.
>>
>>70333723
It was a play-by-play copy of A New Hope.

It's also in the name.
>>
>>70328529

Christ you people are gullible.

This whole circus is designed to get people to rally behind Gareth and support the film to boost turnout.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.