[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else watched it? Pretty gud tbdesu.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: synecdoche-new-york-os-002[1].jpg (408 KB, 800x1177) Image search: [Google]
synecdoche-new-york-os-002[1].jpg
408 KB, 800x1177
Has anyone else watched it?
Pretty gud tbdesu.
>>
>>70292372
why?
>>
it's Charlie Kaufman's best film, and one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's best performances.
>>
>>70292372
DELETE THIS
>>
>>70292437
have you seen Doubt?
>>
>>70292372
>>70292437
I remember when I was 16
>>
>>70292372
Always cry at this fucking movie. Once Sammy jumps I just can't hold it together. First time I saw it I had to pause because I was legit weeping, and I never cry at movies.
>>
>>70292533
yes
>>
>>70292534
he's right though. wth is your problem?
>>
I've only seen the trailer, and it brings me to tears, I really need to find the time to watch this and Anomalisa.
>>
>>70292397
I felt it finally did surrealism correctly, and the metaphor/"hidden meanings" it presented had just enough subtly where it wasn't obvious but also didn't fly over your radar. (Ex: caden worries about his health but doesn't notice his urine has blood in it, exposing a bit about his character and a lesson about life)
The composition is good, especially the music.
It's a 10/10 in my book.
>>
>>70292573
looking fondly on my past days as a turbo pleb
>>
It's really well-made, there are little things you notice every time you rewatch it. I love how reality and the play become more and more indistinguishable as it goes on and he falls apart more and more physically and mentally.
Very depressing while still feeling very human.
>>
>I'm sorry I abandoned you to have anal sex with my homosexual lover Eric
This was the only part of the film I still don't understand. What did it mean? Eric was never even a character, it makes the whole scene feel weird.
>>
>>70292896
Wait, you didn't get the subtitles for olive?
It was Maria, Adele's friend, who told Olive that Caden was a homosex and abandoned her because of said homosex to make caden seem like the "bad guy"
>>
this is one of those where I just admit I'm too stupid to get it but I appreciated the visuals
>>
>>70292372
I loved it, one of my favourite movies. All of the sets are so comfy, Hoffman's voice is like syrup and the dialogue is almost poetic.

The first time I watched it I didn't know if I felt sad, happy or even bittersweet at the end. I've redone Synecdoche quite a few times now and I still feel differently at the end depending on my own mood.

I hope it'd remembered as a classic, I can understand a lot of people would pass over it because it's not very digestible first time round.

I would urge anybody on the fence to sit down and watch it, you will fall in love with the set designs and the fragility, ambition and unbridled vision of Hoffman's character if nothing else.
>>
File: depressedmike.jpg (54 KB, 540x472) Image search: [Google]
depressedmike.jpg
54 KB, 540x472
>that ending sequence

Fucking destroyed me the first time I watched it. I had just broken up with a girl I cared about a lot and spent a lot of time locked in my room depressed as fuck.That scene made me realize that time is ticking and I will be left behind if I don't go out and live life.
>>
>>70292372
pretty sad desu i tend to not watch movies that make me feel sad
>>
>>70292372
I fucking loathe it. Charlie Kaufman is just blatantly ripping off Woody Allen, who isn't very likeable to begin with. How many films do we really need about rich New York artists who are smarter than everyone else around them and above mere material concerns pondering their inevitable death? Because I'm fucking tired of them.
>>
>>70292896
The German woman told Olive that Caden left them, not the other way around, and taught her a completely made-up story. Caden accepting it just in hopes of connecting one last time was to show that he was willing to let Adele/the German woman win, but it didn't matter because they had completely taken Olive from him by then
>>
>>70293270
What are some similar movies? I love SNY
>>
Was the psychiatrist woman just a way of saying that self-help people are hacks, or was there something more significant that I'm missing? What was the significance of the scene where he meets her on the plane?
>>
>>70293270
you severely missed the point if that was your takeaway
>>
Shit is sad. I always wonder what my burning house is/was.
>>
>>70292372
THE ONLY THING KINO ABOUT SYNECDOCHIE IS THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES.
>>
>>70293386
>a way of saying that self-help people are hacks
Pretty much. Notice how whenever he talked to her, she would mindlessly say generic responses or plug her expensive books instead of actually helping him. Kind of goes back to the theme that other people can't help you with your most serious problems.
>>
>>70293580
that's schenectady you moron
>>
>>70293425
What are you talking about? The protagonist coming to terms with aging, loss, and ultimately death is the entire point of the movie. There's not any other point to get, you literally get several speeches to the audience about it.
>>
>>70293733
>rich New York artists who are smarter than everyone else around them and above mere material concerns

this is the part i was referring to

he's not in any way presented as superior to the people around him. nor is he above material concerns. he's just preoccupied with the inevitable.
>>
whoever made this shitheap better be glad PSH was there to save it. what a pretentious and confused movie
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.