[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular Opinion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: paul1.jpg (17 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
paul1.jpg
17 KB, 400x275
1984 Dune is one of my favorite movies of all time and I read all six of Herbert's Dune books.
>>
File: 1447703507820.jpg (56 KB, 606x559) Image search: [Google]
1447703507820.jpg
56 KB, 606x559
>>70291831
>I read all six of Herbert's Dune books

Remember when you thought they'd start to get better sooner or later, and they didn't?
>>
File: duneharkonnen.jpg (36 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
duneharkonnen.jpg
36 KB, 460x276
>>70291899

They were still collectively better than everything that Brian did, and they still more or less discussed ecology, which was my favorite part of the series to begin with.

I just really love the movie aside from all the faults. I feel like the Baron's chamber is all green because they forgot to touch it up in post. I mean that's a glaring fucking fault but I'm still 100% fanboy over it, I don't know why.
>>
>>70292043
>Baron's chamber is all green because they forgot to touch it up in post
dafuq are you on about?

also, have you seen the alternative version? it's awesome
>>
>>70291831
I've only read the first Dune book, but I've read it a dozen times, and I love Lynch's Dune movie.
>>
I liked the Ratchet & Clank movie
>>
>>70291831
Why? The books turn to shit when paul turns into a worm
>>
>>70292291
I've seen them all aside from that fabled Japanese version that has like 45 extra minutes.

It looks like they meant to add some kind of texture of something, the whole backdrop is flat green. I don't know shit about editing though so maybe I'm just dumb.
>>
>>70291899
I've only recently read Dune after having seen the movie many times.

I've always liked the movie but after reading the book, I honestly like it more. I think it does well in cutting out a lot of Jessica stuff and keeping the focus on Paul / the broader story at hand.

they did a pretty fucking good job with the casting too in retrospect. Granted, Gurney was suppose to be a really ugly fucker, but...it's Patrick Stewart. And I think Paul works a lot better as more of an adult from the onset.
>>
>>70292451

That's the thing, Dune is such a dense series and universe, any adaptation is going to have to focus in and cut some things away.

My biggest gripe lore-wise was that Paul actually made it rain in the movie whereas it was just a coincidence in the book.
>>
This movie is fucking boring and it's a movie I'm supposed to like.
>>
File: poster87919230.jpg (76 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
poster87919230.jpg
76 KB, 750x600
>>70291831

What about the expansion series written by his son? There are like 20 of them now.
>>
>>70291831
1984 Dune is also my favorite
>>
I think that Prometheus is really good and the 2nd best in the franchise

I even liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
>>
>>70293202

Those are awful, Brian wrote about a bunch of literal space jews looking for a new Israel planet to escape persecution and totally lacked any of his father's skill in integrating the larger themes like ecology and the organism/environment relationship in the plot, and he totally misunderstood his father's interpretation of the messiah legend. He basically took buzzwords out of his father's journals and wrote a shitty narrative around them. Frank would have been disappointed. They read like fanfiction.
>>
>>70291831

love the movie, never read the books, don't intend to either

seems like most people who read the books hate the movie
>>
>Terrence Malick films are boing
>Quentin Tarantino films are anachronistic
>Michael Bay films have merit
>Titanic was good
>80's were golden age of cinema
>Citizen Kane is overrated
>Master and Commander is Russell Crowes best film
>Chloe Mortez is average looking
>Feet smell bad
>Dan Schneider is innocent
>Arnold Schwarzenegger never made a bad film
>Sergio Leone films are poorly paced and lack depth
>>
>>70293493
the first book is a classic.

you can stop there.
>>
File: 1454651941475.jpg (19 KB, 390x356) Image search: [Google]
1454651941475.jpg
19 KB, 390x356
>>70291831

So what the fuck were the Maudru? Were they ayy lmaos? Herbert implied they created the sandworms and brought them to Arrakis and left behind weird runes.
>>
>>70293635
>Arnold Schwarzenegger never made a bad film
Lol
>>
>>70293493

Book people hate it because it cuts out so much narrative and doesn't really express the major themes from the book, which is a valid criticism since it is a really narrow interpretation at the end of the day.

Film people hate it because the acting is bad and the pacing is way too slow, and they also say that the whole "voice in the head" thing is overused and executed poorly.

The book is actually really good on its own and in my opinion it offers some very serious real-world insights but that could just be me being a nerd. Either way, if you like to read then I'd suggest it, if you didn't start out as a bookfag then it probably won't tarnish your opinion of the movie too seriously. If anything it will show you that any full interpretation would require an eight hour film that nobody would watch and that the 1984 is about as legitimate of an attempt as we'll ever see.

The TV series was absolute 0/10 shit in every aspect though.
>>
>>70291899
I'd say the second and fourth were better at least from a literary perspective than the first. The last two were complete shit, though.
>>
>>70293808
Yeah, I was buying the list till that point then bam I took the bait
>>
>>70293892

What is your opinion of Brian Herbert's books?
>>
>>70292429
The Harkonnan sets are green, it's a stylistic choice.
>>
>>70291831
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie is much, much better than the BBC show.
>>
>Spotlight was "socially relevant" melodrama done right, and totally deserved the Oscar
>Hitchcock sure tried, but he never made a genuinely decent movie
>Boyhood lived up to the hype completely
>Calvary was very mediocre apart from Gleeson's performance

>>70293635
Most of these are not very contrarian either IRL or here
>>
>>70291831
John Wayne was a good actor
>>
>>70291831
how are either of those unpopular opinions? actually I don't think they are opinions, just statements

The movie is shit, though. Never read the books
>>
>>70293743

Since google tells me they were only in the son's books, they were an excuse to write more books.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.