[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If he was so loyal why was he rebelling against the Tenno? inb4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
If he was so loyal why was he rebelling against the Tenno?
inb4 this hamfisted he can't hear me crap
>>
>>70285469
Ken Watanabe?

If I remember correctly he was only fighting so he could show the emperor the error of his ways and put him back on the right track. He loved the emperor, and thought he was making the wrong decisions.
>>
He correctly thought the emperor was being used by his advisers to further their agenda, and destroying japanese culture in the process.
>>
>>70285775
>>70285897
But he was acting against the emperor's orders.
>If the emperor wishes my death he only has to ask
Doesn't that make the whole rebellion redundant?
>>
Rebellions are often fought to restore the spiritual Tradition of a land rather than install an entirely new system of governance. A counter revolution if you will. This is one such occasion. He was loyal to the Emperor of Japan and rebelling against Western influence.
>>
>>70286307
The emperor had become a puppet of powerful politicians and businessmen, with no real power. He didn't want him dead, and needed his help to combat their influence. There's a scene where the Emperor tells him he needs his voice in the council
>>
>>70286387
That's my point.
>lol the emperor is so wrong on this I know better
Why even serve the emperor then
>If the emperor wishes my death he only has to ask
Doubt it.
>>
>>70286307
The Emperor looked to Nathan Algren, who through hearing about his adventures with Native American tribes, saw as a man who respected cultures of antiquity, to be the man who would kill Katsumoto in the honorable fashion that he deserved. That's why the Emperor was so drawn to Nathan when he first arrived.
>>
>>70286435
Sorry didn't knew that. Watched without subs

>>70286471
>in the honorable fashion he deserves
For what purpose? Isn't that directly contradicting what the other guy i quote says?
>>
>>70286460
You have an overly simplistic understanding of these things anon. It's a matter of restoring honor to the land. The Emperor is understood as a transcendent and eternal spiritual archetype that dwells within the physical vessel of each human Emperor as a parallel entity. You have no sense of drama or spiritual meaning in the lives of these men. This is a TYraditional and ritualistic culture.
>>
>>70286541
The Emperor knew that the world was changing, that he was going to oversee Japans tranistion from the age of antiquity to the modern age, and he knew that Katsumoto was going to die fighting for the Traditions of Japan. He knew he would die, and he felt that Captain Algren would at least be a man who would understand the tragedy of what was taking place. He wanted the warrior who would kill his teacher to admire his bravery and honor before he did.
>>
OP confirmed for fucking girl

holy shit movies girls will never understand
>>
>>70286671
Sorry but that's plain wrong. Don't you remember the ending where he throws out the trade agreement and the fat jap? Katsumoto wins
>>
>>70286698
Women have actually throughout history been the primary spectators and ponders of theses kinds of heroic tales. Women if anything have inherent qualities that allow them to deeply understand story telling.
>>
>>70286798
Yes, after the sacrifice of Katsumoto fulfilled it's ritualistic significance and restored the honor of the Emperors soul. In the beginning of the story though, when he saw Algren acknowledging the bravery of the Native American tribes he fought, he saw him as the man he wanted to fight against and kill Katsumoto.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.